Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

GHA Discovery - New Program 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GHA Discovery - New Program 2021

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2023, 9:53 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by escape4
Singapore Park Royal: you booked a room which did not come with lounge access, and they upgraded you to a club room including club access? If so, that is strong

I am even more surprised about Siam Kempinski. Upgrades were stingy in the past, if they are more liberal and competitive with other similar hotels from bigger chains, I would become a fan as well Are you are regular there, explaining the generous upgrade?

Is your GHA status Titanium?
My experience with Siam Kempinski did similar with you.
If they decide to be more liberal in terms of upgrade etc then it can become an amazing options for GHA members.
As their location is very good.
escape4 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 7:14 am

Programs: Some
Niiiiice! I hope it's because they have recently decided to loosen up their previously stingy upgrade policy. I shall find out next time I stay there.
No upgrade from booked Riverview Suite for me this weekend (as Titanium) on sixth stay, unfortunately. Was also my first stay at Capella I left feeling disappointed / like they'd dropped the ball service-wise generally in a few areas. Gave them feedback on check out and hopefully a one off rather than negative trajectory, but let's see.

Will try Sukhothai again instead next weekend after my previous stay was pretty good.
escape4 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 5:04 am

Three category upgrade at Sukhothai from Club to Club Premier Suite again as Titanium and literally walked without stopping from the hotel limo straight into a waiting lift and up to my suite to check in - seriously slick. Continue to think this hotel punches well above its weight and would much rather stay here than the likes of the Rosewood and St. Regis.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 9:13 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Three category upgrade at Sukhothai from Club to Club Premier Suite again as Titanium and literally walked without stopping from the hotel limo straight into a waiting lift and up to my suite to check in - seriously slick. Continue to think this hotel punches well above its weight and would much rather stay here than the likes of the Rosewood and St. Regis.
Great to hear! I will return to Sukhothai in a few weeks, I would be very happy to get this sort of upgrade although I remain skeptical that it is widespread. Consequently, there is room for them to exceed expectations
Old Mar 29, 2023, 7:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
After staying in few St Regises around the world, I found that their standard service was pretty average even for Bonvoy Ambassador member.
I did receive great services on some St Regises due to being frequent stayer. (St Regis Singapore is an exception. Stayed there about 7-8 times/ year and they don't even care)

Would love to try The Sukhotai for my next visit to Bangkok (and would like to return to Capella Bangkok again)
Old Mar 31, 2023, 1:20 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by kaizen7
St Regis Singapore is an exception. Stayed there about 7-8 times/ year and they don't even care
Singapore is probably the worst hotel city anywhere in the world when taking into account rates vs standard (both hardware and service levels). Truly appalling.

But it also has the highest average hotel occupancy levels of any major city in the world -- so the properties don't really need to care. They get the business regardless.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 6:02 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Singapore is probably the worst hotel city anywhere in the world when taking into account rates vs standard (both hardware and service levels). Truly appalling.
Not to say that Singapore is stellar, but in my experience London and NYC are easily worse than Singapore.

That said, Singapore luxury not being up to worldwide standards is one reason I have stayed away from Raffles and Capella Singapore as my hunch is it's not worth the price premium.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 12:30 pm

I do find Raffles Singapore service is great although the price was too high.
Maybe 1-2 stays at Raffles only to enjoy the hotel and surrounding areas.

Would love to try Capella Singapore.

Agree with London. They are worse than Singapore.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 6:19 am

Not to say that Singapore is stellar, but in my experience London and NYC are easily worse than Singapore.
Difficult to compare NYC/London with Singapore in this context given how salaries for service workers in Singapore are FAR lower, similar to in other Asian cities. Operating a hotel in a place like Singapore is a completely different ball game compared to e.g. London. It should be compared to the likes of HK, which has countless amazing properties and several brands that operate in Singapore as well and can be compared like for like.

E.g. the MO, Conrad, Grand Hyatt, Four Seasons, RC in HK represent very high standard (if not benchmark standard) of those respective brands, whereas their Singapore properties are some of the poorest in the entire portfolio.

Re. Capella -- save your money and stay at the Capella Bangkok instead!
Old Apr 3, 2023, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Difficult to compare NYC/London with Singapore in this context given how salaries for service workers in Singapore are FAR lower, similar to in other Asian cities. Operating a hotel in a place like Singapore is a completely different ball game compared to e.g. London. It should be compared to the likes of HK, which has countless amazing properties and several brands that operate in Singapore as well and can be compared like for like.

E.g. the MO, Conrad, Grand Hyatt, Four Seasons, RC in HK represent very high standard (if not benchmark standard) of those respective brands, whereas their Singapore properties are some of the poorest in the entire portfolio.

Re. Capella -- save your money and stay at the Capella Bangkok instead!
Indeed. In addition whilst you could argue London provides poor value for money for hotels on average compared to many global cities, there are plenty of very high end luxury hotels in London if you have the money to spend. It's just you won't find them in the major chains (other than perhaps MO / FS) and you'll have to pay more for them than any hotel in Singapore charges. I'm not sure there are any hotels in Singapore of the quality of the Connaught, Claridge's, Lanesborough, etc. however much you have to spend (Raffles is as close as it gets).
Old Apr 20, 2023, 7:28 am

https://www.ghadiscovery.com/asmallworld

Interesting addition.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 9:33 am

Programs: AY, Accor, Hilton - Gold
Originally Posted by kaizen7
​​​​​​
only one hotel?!
Old Apr 21, 2023, 10:13 am

So far yes, although they claim they will have more later on.

I wonder if the hotels from A Small World Collections will end up joining GHA?
Some of them already have their own loyalty program though.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 7:00 pm

The prospect of potentially getting a double upgrade at the Chedi Andermatt is certainly.. tempting.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 4:51 am

Programs: *G / OWS / STE+
Originally Posted by GHA_Insider
All of the rates on www.ghadiscovery.com and most of the rates on the brands' own websites only take a credit card to guarantee the reservation and will not charge it until you check out. At the time of check-out you can specify that you would like to pay for part of the bill in DISCOVERY Dollars and the front desk staff will take those D$ as "payment" for that value of the invoice. Since you have a very large number of D$, you may need to stay in a very nice suite or spend lots on restaurants or spas in order to use them all up during the stay!

You will need to pay the taxes element of your bill with a credit card on check-out, since D$ can't be used as payment against taxes or service charges. You should also check with the hotel that all of their additional services such as restaurants and spas are also eligible for redemption. They normally are eligible but occasionally there may be an outsourced spa or fine dining restaurant that is not eligible for redemption of D$, even though the hotel might allow you to sign it onto your room bill.
Hi - well this is not correct as I have booked a hotel on the GHA app and even though it stated clearly that a no deposit was required and the credit card was for guarantee purposes only, it was charged in full (so how to use the D$?) . . . so far no resolution from the GHA customer services . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.