Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Other Hotel Chains
Reload this Page >

GHA Discovery - New Program 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2021, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, GHA Titanium, AA Platinum Pro

Looks like Discovery will be launching a revamp of their loyalty program in December 2021. I just received a teaser email today.

https://visit.discoveryloyalty.com/r...t=bodyMainHero

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. While I know there is a Discovery master thread here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/othe...8-present.html

I was thinking this new program revamp might warrant a new thread. Needless to say, please do move this if not appropriate.

As an aside, strangely no recent news on what Omni's program will do since they left GHA.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 11:40 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, IHG plat, GHA Black, HH Gold
Saw this email as well. Wonder whether i should try to get GHA black (close to reaching it) before the change announcements....
Old Oct 4, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Got the email as well few days ago.

Since 2020 I haven't do any stays at GHA properties due to very limited GHA options here (none in my city)
Old Oct 5, 2021, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kaizen7
Got the email as well few days ago.

Since 2020 I haven't do any stays at GHA properties due to very limited GHA options here (none in my city)
The footprint is definitely odd now; EMEA focused, the loss of Omni left them with just a handful of Viceroys/Pan Pacifics and other smaller resort type properties in N.A.

As a Black member in both Omni and GHA (when they were part of the same program), I have no idea what to expect. The most unique part of the program are those Local Experience Awards.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 8:38 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
The footprint in SE Asia is quite limited as well (except Singapore) although they do have good coverage in AUNZ region from QT, Rydges, and Oaks hotels.
They lose Alila hotels a while back and then gain Capella (unique but limited)

And I believe NH hotel supposedly join GHA soon.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 3:22 am

Programs: GHA Titanium, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Seems like they’re going to add silver tier and change the name from Black to Titanium. Also, spending will be counted towards elite tier. That’s what I gathered from their FAQ page.

So I assume that it’s harder to get higher tier then.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 7:20 am
Original Poster

FAQ for reference:

https://visit.discoveryloyalty.com/faq/

Highlights:

Will my current tier level roll over into the new programme?

Gold
If you are currently Gold level and have stayed at a DISCOVERY hotel within the last three years, you will roll over to our enhanced Gold level. If you are currently Gold and have not stayed with us within the last three years, your new status will be Silver.

Platinum and Black
If you are currently Platinum level, your tier status will remain the same and will be extended through the end of next year (2022). If you are currently Black level, you will remain at the same tier level under the new tier name Titanium. Your status will also be extended through the end of next year (2022).

Stay tuned for new ways to reach or maintain elite status for 2022!

Will my Local Experience awards roll over into the new programme?

No, Local Experience awards will not roll over. Any Local Experiences not redeemed by 21 November 2021 will be replaced with an exciting new benefit of the same value that offers more flexibility. Stay tuned for more information!

When will my hotel spend start counting towards my tier level?

Spend will start being used as a criteria for tier level advancement beginning in 2022.

The Local Experience awards are what set them apart from other programs, and looks like that's at risk of significantly changing...
Old Oct 13, 2021, 8:23 am

If they use spending or nights for tier then it will be good news for people who frequently stay at their higher end range of hotels
10 nights at Capella Ubud supposedly higher value compare to 10 nights at Rydges Melbourne
Old Oct 13, 2021, 9:45 pm

Programs: GHA Titanium, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Set to launch at the end of the year, the redesigned GHA DISCOVERY programme will encompass a wide
range of features that meet the needs of today’s travellers, such as a new easy-to-use and transparent
digital rewards currency
and expanded tier structure, as well as more ways to earn rewards and enjoy
hotel amenities and experiences without a stay
Exceprt from the press release. Maybe they're going to add some point-based system? I assume that spending will be collected and accumulated as this digital currency, then this currency will be use for redeeming a rewards?

If they use spending or nights for tier then it will be good news for people who frequently stay at their higher end range of hotels
10 nights at Capella Ubud supposedly higher value compare to 10 nights at Rydges Melbourne
Agree with you. Spending criteria will be more of a value-added for members with high spendings. But still, we have to watch out for their benefit whether it's going to be better or worse.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 6:52 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Rambluesky
I assume that spending will be collected and accumulated as this digital currency, then this currency will be use for redeeming a rewards?
If I recall from a previous press release a few months ago when the NH tie-up was announced, I thought their plan was to have a points-based program like other chains.
Rambluesky and onetouchpass like this.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 11:43 am

Transparent digital reward currency.
I would guess Accor ALL point redemption style. Fixed rate redemption and treated like cash.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 2:56 am

Transparent digital reward currency.
I would guess Accor ALL point redemption style. Fixed rate redemption and treated like cash.
My guess as well. This is inferior for FTers who can extract maximum value by booking the "best" hotels with points. Easier for the casual traveller who does not think much about points.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 8:29 pm

During a stay at a Kempinski, I was chatting with staff and they seemed to have a bit more information regarding the new program than what is publicly available. It sounds like elite tier qualification will be via spend OR nights, similar to Hyatt and Hilton. They mentioned 30 nights for top tier, or $15k USD. It seems $15k is very steep but anyway the current route of 30 nights would remain so it does not make qualification more difficult than it is now, it simply provides an additional route for high spenders. They also mentioned that there might be a third route to quality, which is via the number of brands stayed in a year. They said 3 brands would get top tier which is hard for me to believe because it would be infinitely easier that way, than qualifying via $15k spend.

Another interesting tidbit is that one of the new elite tier perks would be having access to GHA hotel facilities even if not staying at the hotel.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by escape4
During a stay at a Kempinski, I was chatting with staff and they seemed to have a bit more information regarding the new program than what is publicly available. It sounds like elite tier qualification will be via spend OR nights, similar to Hyatt and Hilton. They mentioned 30 nights for top tier, or $15k USD. It seems $15k is very steep but anyway the current route of 30 nights would remain so it does not make qualification more difficult than it is now, it simply provides an additional route for high spenders. They also mentioned that there might be a third route to quality, which is via the number of brands stayed in a year. They said 3 brands would get top tier which is hard for me to believe because it would be infinitely easier that way, than qualifying via $15k spend.

Another interesting tidbit is that one of the new elite tier perks would be having access to GHA hotel facilities even if not staying at the hotel.
Their version of Brand Explorer huh? Hopefully that comes to pass, it's a great idea. Any mention of Local Experience Awards?
Old Oct 19, 2021, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by onetouchpass
Any mention of Local Experience Awards?
Current unused local experience awards will be eliminated next month, and to be converted to points as compensation. The conversion ratio and/or the value of points is still unknown.

In the future hotels might continue to have some kind of local experiences but they will be provided at a charge for guests, so for me that's no different than any other hotel where you can pay to go to the spa or book excursions if you wish. So that's not really an elite guest perk, just a standard offering that hotels do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.