Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another 1 World Bonus

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2000, 1:35 am
Original Member

Davistev:

It's the continent that you fly to that counts. In your itinerary, under these rules, you "only" cover N. America, S. America, Australasia, Africa and Europe. Since you started in Asia and this itinerary doesn't go back to Asia, you didn't arrive there. You need to do so on a oneworld marketed and operated flight in order to qualify for the 100K bonus. In other words, you need to go RTW on oneworld OR you could do separate trips (as suggested before in this thread):

Bali - Darwin (Qantas)
Miami - Caracas (American)
Madrid - Casablanka (Iberia)
All r/ts so you would arrive in all six continents.

[This message has been edited by leroy11 (edited 05-06-2000).]
Old May 6, 2000, 3:51 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
Great details... but anyone got info on the dreaded eligible fare codes yet ? Thanks.
Old May 6, 2000, 4:10 am

Does anyone have any idea what "an arrival at an intermediate point" means? Does this mean you have to fly somewhere else other than the continent arrival point to qualify? Not sure of this fine print and eligibility rules!!!
Old May 6, 2000, 8:07 am
Original Member

I think this is referring to the following. Let's say you buy a ticket on AA from Brazil to London and change planes in MIA. They are saying you will NOT get credit for North America unless you stay there for more than 24 hours. Most airlines put 24 hours as the cut-off point for when a transit becomes a stopover and the fare will often increase. This is for international flights - on domestics, it's usually 4 hours.
Old May 7, 2000, 4:01 pm
Original Member

But let's say you credited Brazil-Miami to Executive Club and Miami-London to AAdvantage. (Assume that those programs will offer the bonus under the same set of rules.) Even though the stopover was less than 24 hours, am I correct in my assumption that you would still receive credit for North America and Europe, respectively, in those programs?

Second question: According to the current rules, if you did a same-day MIA-CCS return trip, it seems that you would only receive credit for North America (because the stop in CCS would be less than 24 hours). It seems silly, but isn't that what the current rules indicate?
Old May 7, 2000, 4:27 pm
Original Member

Based on your first question -- I think you would run into problems with the ultimate crediting. I dont think the AA computers are set up to have two different FF numbers in the system. My guess would be that whatever FF number you used on the 1st leg would apply to the second leg. You would have to go back to AA and tell them you wanted it credited differently, but I can imagine that would be a nightmare.

For your second question, I think you would be OK on a 1 day trip -- since it is the return portion -- but I would call and make sure.

--Jim
Old May 7, 2000, 9:49 pm

AA computers are set up to take different FF numbers. Last fall I took an AA flight with 4 legs. I was going after the OneWorld Fall bonus and was able to credit each Leg to four different programs(AA, CX,BA and IB). It took some doing but you can do it.
Old May 7, 2000, 11:37 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Tango is right - it's really hard to get American to credit flights, sector by sector to different schemes.

I've had to insist that they issue boarding passes with the right numbers on, only for some locations/staff to be unable to do it. Quite often I've been told that if the number is changed it doesn't print on the boarding pass!

I had a nightmare last year - when an AA sector was credited to AA and not QF. AA were good about it and reversed it - but they told me that they'd never do it again for me!
Old May 8, 2000, 4:11 pm

is it just me, or is 1world keeping this promotion very low key? you couldn't get away from the fall promo (at least on flyertalk anyway), but this one is being promoted very poorly. also if the two new guys are beginning june 1, why is that such a secret. i check the aa site everyday, and i haven't seen it yet!

i guess some folks gave away way too many 100k miles to us last year, huh? the best way to avoid that is not tell us about it!
Old May 8, 2000, 5:57 pm

The One World airlines will make a big splash in due time. They will most likely (as they did with their last promo) drop it from their sites half way through the promo.
Old May 9, 2000, 6:05 am

I just got my American AAdvantage May newsletter, and they mention the 100,000 mile bonus (award code OWCON). Interestingly enough, they say nothing about requiring a 24hr stopover for a continent to count. In fact, American mentions few restrictions.
Old May 10, 2000, 12:44 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
It also is posted on CX Asia Miles' web site.
Old May 11, 2000, 6:20 am
Original Poster

The Asia Miles site does mention the stop over rule, while AA has no such restriction.

Interestingly, I have now spoken 3 times to AA and 1 time to BA US Exec Club. Each time they told me that a flight from MEL - SYD would count as Australia. These agents claim there is no requirement that the departure city be in another continent. I still am not completely sure about this rule however. Has anyone been told anything different? AA has promised me they would document my account that I had been told this information.

rich

Old May 11, 2000, 9:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond . www.chicagosemianrs.org
If they say they are going to document your acct., make sure you call back and have someone else read exactly what was put in. I have asked to have things documented in my record several times, then when I call back to double check the person did it, it sometimes wasn't there. I always call back and make a new person reread it to me. That way I know it is in there.

In short, I wouldn't trust them and I don't know whether or not any phone agent has any authority to "change" the rules of the promo. I would have to get it in writing.

MiamiPrep:

I haven't gotten my AA statement recently, so could you please post exactly what the AA rules are? Maybe AA is intentioally making the rules easier for us.
Old May 12, 2000, 11:37 am
Suspended

This might be a good way to beat them at their own game: Buy a roundtrip from the US to any close city in Central America, like Guatemala or Belize on American: 2 continents; Use a Cathay Pacific AWARD from the U.S. to Australia with FREE stopover in Hong Kong...THEN buy a cheap roundtrip Hong Kong to Taipai on CX for the ASIA continent, and buy a cheap roundtrip on QANTAS from say Sydney to another close city inside Australia, if domestic flights count, (not really sure!!), or buy a cheap roundtrip Sydney to New Zealand. For Europe and Africa, the Iberia Spain to Morrocco roundtrip makes sense...
ANOTHER SUGGESTION: Tel Aviv is technically in ASIA, but might be CONSIDERED "geographic Europe" by British Airways...
ALTERNATIVES: For ASIA, London to AMMAN on British, or Tel Aviv if it's considered "Asia"; Does QF still fly LAX to Tahiti roundtrip? What about Honolulu to Fiji? Also, what about US/Cairo on British, open jaw, and return from Tel Aviv or Amman to US, with stop in London...this MIGHT earn 4 continents...then just do a Qantas LA/TAHITI, AND a quick trip to Central America....Oh well, still seems like a lot of trouble!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.