Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another 1 World Bonus

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2000, 7:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond . www.chicagosemianrs.org
Official word from AA:

Thank you for visiting our Web site. I have copied the information your requested from our internal reference system.

PROMOTION CODE TARGET AUDIENCE - YES
OWCON CODE - OWCON

EFFECTIVE DATES....JUNE 1 - AUGUST 31, 2000

INCENTIVE...UP TO 100,000 BONUS MILES

ELIGIBILITY/HOW TO QUALIFY...PURCHASE AN ELIGIBLE
FARE TICKET/S/ AND TRAVEL ELIGIBLE ROUTE/S/
ON ONEWORLD CARRIER/S/ TO 3, 4, 5 OR 6
DIFFERENT CONTINENTS.

*CONTINENT COUNT IS BASED ON LOCATION
OF EACH ARRIVAL CITY.

ONEWORLD CARRIERS INCLUDED ARE AA, AY, BA,
CX, EI, IB, LA AND QF.

IF A MEMBER TRAVELS TO --
3 DIFFERENT CONTINENTS, THEY WILL RECEIVE
5,000 BONUS MILES

4 DIFFERENT CONTINENTS, THEY WILL RECEIVE
15,000 BONUS MILES

5 DIFFERENT CONTINENTS, THEY WILL RECEIVE
50,000 BONUS MILES

6 DIFFERENT CONTINENTS, THEY WILL RECEIVE
100,000 BONUS MILES

U.S./CANADIAN MEMBERS MUST REGISTER /BE ADDED
TO TARGET AUDIENCE/ PRIOR TO TRAVEL TO
RECEIVE BONUS. MEMBERS OUTSIDE THE
U.S./CANADA WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE ENROLLED.

FLIGHTS DO NOT HAVE TO BE IN THE SAME
ITINERARY TO QUALIFY.

THE FLIGHT MUST BE MARKETED AND OPERATED
BY A ONEWORLD AIRLINE AND ELIGIBLE FOR

AADV MILEAGE ACCRUAL. *

MAXIMUM 100,000 BONUS MILES MAY BE EARNED
IN THIS PROMOTION.

CONTINENTS ARE DEFINED AS --

AFRICA
ASIA /INCLUDING INDIAN SUB-CONTINENT/
AUSTRALIA /INCLUDING NEW ZEALAND AND THE
SOUTH PACIFIC/
EUROPE
NORTH AMERICA
SOUTH AMERICA /INCLUDING CENTRAL AMERICA/

HOW POSTED...BONUS WILL BE POSTED AT THE END OF
THE PROMOTION. /BONUSES WILL *NOT* BE POSTED
AS THE MEMBER REACHES EACH LEVEL./

Thank you for participating in AAdvantage. We look forward to hearing from you again.

Regards,
Jason Earll
AAdvantage Customer Service

Old May 17, 2000, 7:53 pm
Original Member

Still not particularly clear on whether your dep. and arrival points have to be in different continents.
Old May 17, 2000, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

The AA rules also leave open the question of which continent Tel Aviv, Amman, and the rest of the middle east are in. Basic geography tell you Asia, but the specific mention of the Indian sub-continent seems to mean Asia starts there and not in Turkey. Since the other carriers define the Middle East as part of Europe, this will eventually lead to mass confusion.

In addition, Randy's evaluation of 1 World indicates that you can only earn this promotion on 1 carrier. If this is the case you would think they would simply state that rule.

Also AA does not have the "stop over" rule, but my guess is the other carriers will enforce this somehow regardless if you credit your arrival on 1 program and your non stop over departure on a second program.

rich

Old May 17, 2000, 9:14 pm
Original Member

It is my understanding that you can qualify for the bonus once per program, not once total.
Old May 20, 2000, 3:26 pm
Original Member

Are there any flights operated by oneworld within Africa? I know British Airways markets flights within South Africa, but they're operated by Comair, so I assume they wouldn't qualify for this promotion.
Old May 21, 2000, 9:10 am
Original Member

Flying Dutchman:

Comair flights count as if they are BA flights from my experience. They are very integrated with BA - including flying in BA livery.

So, does anyone know if flights within continents count?
Old May 21, 2000, 6:10 pm

Programs: AE
Richlond, the Middle East is classified as part of the the European continent when using Oneworld travel. Countries in the Middle East are Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Oman, Syria, UAE and Yemen. This is as per the IATA definition.

Turkey is considered part of Europe.

The South Asian Subcontinent consists of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. These are all part of Asia as per IATA.
Old May 21, 2000, 9:10 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA 1.8 MM, DL, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold,
Thanks CPYVR" This really makes it tougher to reach even five continents Can anybody help me with the math? MIA-EWR-LHR 1 cont LHR-TLV-LHR 0 LHR-EWR-MIA 1
Future date MIA-CCS-MIA 1
I can add a fourth continent with a LHR-Morroco -LHR Any ideas on two more!
Does AA have a 'stop-over' policy? The last two continents are the only ones that might prove a tad tough. I am doing the EWR-LHR-EWR run concurrently for an extra 5k. Thanks in advance!

------------------
MRKEY
Old May 21, 2000, 9:17 pm
In memoriam

Thanks CPYVR" This really makes
it tougher to reach even five
continents Can anybody help me
with the math? MIA-EWR-LHR 1 cont
LHR-TLV-LHR 0
LHR-EWR-MIA 1
Future date MIA-CCS-MIA 1

I can add a fourth continent
with a LHR-Morroco -LHR Any
ideas on two more!
Does AA have a 'stop-over'
policy? The last two continents
are the only ones that might
prove a tad tough. I am doing
the EWR-LHR-EWR run concurrently
for an extra 5k. Thanks in
advance!

------------------
MRKEY
Old May 21, 2000, 9:25 pm
In memoriam

Sorry for the dbl post. Are these miles bonus or elite qualifing miles. This will help alot with my decisions. I hope I can use any OneWorld partner to acomplish this feat . AA,BA or AA,EL IB to Morroco maybe a S. Pacific Island and a trip to Bombay ......

------------------
MRKEY
Old May 21, 2000, 9:51 pm

MRKEY, believe it or not, Morocco and Algeria are considered part of Europe per IATA and as per Oneworld. To add the African continent, you cannot include these 2 (or Egypt, as it is part of the Middle East). It's not a great definition of Areas Worldwide, but can be found in the General Rules Definitions of the Passenger Tariff. The rest of Africa, is considered Africa.

To add your 5th and 6th continents, you will need to add somewhere in Asia and finally the South Pacific (take a holiday). And just to be certain that no one mistakes the definition of the South Pacific, I will include it for you.

American Samoa, Australia, Cook Islands, Fiji, French Polynesia, Kiribati, Nauru, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Niue, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Wallis and Futunia Islands.

As CP will be out of Oneworld 01Jun00, any further information may be limited, as I will have to rely on old material. But if I can assist with information, you will see me here again.

Enjoy your travels.
Old May 21, 2000, 10:03 pm
In memoriam

CPYVR Thans for the info! If Morroco is out (even though AA defines it as Africa ) what would make a good 2 day LHR-AFRICA-LHR ? If CP is leaving OneWorld, is there a good way to do my badly needed vacation..one week MIA-?-?-MIA South Pacific sounds great. Can I combine an easy stop-over in Asia to complete my 6 continents? MIA-CCS-MIA is easy for me. Thanks for the help.I found out these are only bonus miles, but we still get flight and bonus miles being AA EP , right?

------------------
MRKEY
Old May 21, 2000, 10:21 pm
In memoriam

is Darwin-East Timor- Darwin considered 2 continents? Just trying to figure ou a route. I leave in 8 days for MIA-LHR-TLV-MIA I have about 3 days I can play with now that Morroco is out of the game. My free time will be in LHR. I would love to pick up a couple of continents in those spare days.Thanks again...

------------------
MRKEY
Old May 22, 2000, 11:34 am

Originally posted by MRKEY:
is Darwin-East Timor- Darwin considered 2 continents? Just trying to figure ou a route. I leave in 8 days for MIA-LHR-TLV-MIA I have about 3 days I can play with now that Morroco is out of the game. My free time will be in LHR. I would love to pick up a couple of continents in those spare days.Thanks again...
This definition by IATA for continents may make sense for fare calculations but it is ridiculous for the purposes of this bonus imho, so a LHR-TUN-LHR routing should be fine for two continents.

For example from the AsiaMiles website:

Please note, the continents are as follows: Europe and the Middle East; Africa including Algeria, Egypt, Morocco, Sudan and Tunisia; Asia including the Indian Subcontinent; Australia and the South Pacific including New Zealand and Papua New Guinea; North America including Canada, the U.S.A, the Caribbean and Mexico and, Central and South America.

Also, nowhere on the AA website does it state that "Europe includes the Middle East," so I would like to think that as long as you registered for the promotion before they "update" their next newsletter to include such language, you can argue that Tel Aviv or Amman are in fact in Asia as defined by any third-grade geography teacher. Maybe I am just being too optimistic...

In any case, if you want to add South America, AA just released their newest NetSAAvers for departures on June 1/2

$499 Dallas/Fort Worth, TX (DFW) Santiago, Chile (SCL)
$295 Miami, FL (MIA) Guatemala City, Guatemala (GUA)

$254 New York Kennedy, NY (JFK) Caracas, Venezuela (CCS)
$499 New York Kennedy, NY (JFK) Sao Paulo, Brazil (GRU)

[This message has been edited by fallinasleep (edited 05-22-2000).]
Old May 22, 2000, 6:10 pm

I don't want to argue the fact of where countries are located, fallinasleep. I am just trying to point out the regions of the world as related to Oneworld. Having worked with the Oneworld RTW fare extensively, I would be skeptical to believe that this promotion will define the continents any differently than they do when working with the RTW fare.

The continents as defined in the Oneworld RTW, when determining fares and counting continents, is done per the IATA definition of continents. We all know that the aforementioned countries in Africa are geographically "in Africa", but IATA, for whatever reason, does not classify them as that. And, neither does Oneworld in pricing out continents. The same goes for countries in the Middle East. We all know that they are in that region of the world where Europe/Asia meet, but as per the Oneworld, and most IATA fares, they are treated similar to Europe (no, not part of Europe as I may have alluded to). Therefore, when determining a continent, in the 6 for the RTW fare, Europe and the Middle East, as per IATA definitions is 1 continent.

I don't want to mislead anyone attempting to acquire this bonus, but if you are planning travel to the African countries defined by IATA and Oneworld as either Europe or the Middle East, I would suggest you have something in writing from your FF program to ensure that they will be considered the continent you had intended.

Going back to MRKEY, East Timor is part of Indonesia, which is considered part of the Asian continent. I am not aware if any of the Oneworld carriers fly there or not, but I can suggest DPS as a close destination that QF flies to.

Pleasant travels all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.