Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another 1 World Bonus

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2000, 11:48 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Silver, EK Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
OW considers the Middle East to be a part of Europe with regards to their RTW fares so they probably will follow the same for the promo
Old May 13, 2000, 1:58 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
The American Web Page says:

Africa
Asia (including India)
Australia (NZ abd South Pacific)
Europe
N. America (incl C.America)

It omits Central and South America which makes it impossible to do 6 continents but I think this is just an error!

I'll try and get more than one with a OneWorld explorer 6 continents fare and a few extra short hops - Darwin->Bali, LHR-Marakesh, MIA-Caracas.

American don't mention a rule on the QF offer of having to stop 24 hours in each continent for it to count.

Any other suggestions appreciated.
Old May 14, 2000, 12:09 am
JCM

Has anyone been able to register for this promotion ? When I called AA, I kept getting an invalid promotion number error...

Also noticed there are lots of errors in AA's web-page describing the promo. They forgot Cathay and included Canadian...

Also, am I correct that Qantas only goes Darwin to Bali (not the other way)and the one-way cost is $383...

Old May 14, 2000, 3:38 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
JCM - there are return flights but all these flights operate at nasty times of the day. The QF timetable says

drw-denpasar wed/fri/sun 2345-0050+1
denpasar-drw mon/thu/sat 0145-0550

all by 737's.
Old May 14, 2000, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Actually, the best Australia Asia combo is Darwin to East Timor (Dili). 2 round trip flights a day on weekends. They fly during the day and are available for 400 AUD return. Flights are about 500 miles each way.

rich
Old May 14, 2000, 3:16 pm

Where on the AA web site is the info for this promotion ? I can't find it (usual for the AA Web site). Why is this promotion not on the oneworld web site ???
Old May 14, 2000, 3:24 pm
Original Member

Headinclouds:

That's really strange - I could have sworn I saw it on there, but I can't find it anymore either. I hope they haven't taken it down to modify the rules!! Otherwise, AA may be another Latin Pass!!
Old May 14, 2000, 4:57 pm
Suspended

The American Airlines Advantage NEWSLETTER May 2000 says that Central and South America are considered ONE continent...they also told me that Caribbean islands are considered North America... I know Hawaii is North AMerica... I know that Israel is in Asia, so is the Middle East. and there's nothing in their rules that tells me or really defines these continents...Oh well, as usual, makes no sense...
Old May 14, 2000, 6:22 pm

Programs: OWEm (lifetime OWSapph x2), lifetime *G
leroy11,

I encountered the same situation, but eventually found out that you can find it under "today's special" or whatever it's called. Unfortunately, this is shown only on random sequence on the top page of say the "AAdvantage" page, so you have to keep on clicking on it until the headline shows up. Yah, their web page needs some revamping...

[This message has been edited by silver (edited 05-14-2000).]
Old May 15, 2000, 10:35 am
Original Member

I'm not going to be making any plans for this bonus until the current oneworld rumours come to something or go away!!
Old May 15, 2000, 11:03 am

Originally posted by silver:
I encountered the same situation, but eventually found out that you can find it under "today's special" or whatever it's called. Unfortunately, this is shown only on random sequence on the top page of say the "AAdvantage" page, so you have to keep on clicking on it until the headline shows up. Yah, their web page needs some revamping...
Try http://www.im.aa.com/targeting/marke...romo_june.html
Old May 15, 2000, 12:45 pm

Assuming BA has the same "rules" as AA for the challenge (couldn't find it on their site), esp wrt to Asia including the Middle East for the purposes of this promo, then from NYC/East Coast USA, I wonder if this 5-continent challenge is doable for about US$1500-$1600.

1) Fly BA East Coast USA to Tel Aviv with a stopover in London. Fare is about $700-$800 from a good agent. Three continents (NA, Europe, Asia)...

2) from London, fly IB or BA to Morrocco or Tunisia for about $250. Fourth continent.

3) get back to USA and fly to some point in Central America/South America. Probably doable for about $400-$600. Fifth continent.

I can't figure out a cost effective way to get to Australia, with the possible exception of using an open jaw CX award ticket to SE Asia or Australia and doing a r/t from there on QF. In this case, you could skip Tel Aviv and fly direct USA-LHR-TUN on BA/IB but the price bumps up to about $2000 in cash and another 80-100 in AA miles for the award ticket.

Old May 15, 2000, 8:28 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Fallenasleep, be careful of the old "no miles for USA-UK on B.A. for AAdvantage member fiasco".

Old May 15, 2000, 8:55 pm

Why would you use miles for a award ticket for the sole purpose of earning bonus miles? What am I missing here?
Old May 16, 2000, 7:16 am

Davistev:
You're right, that's why AA would not work given their BS policy on BA transatlantic flights...so, you need to register and do this via BA. on the other hand, maybe BA is much more restrictive on "eligible fare classes"

Tango:
you wouldn't want to use an award ticket unless you really wanted to visit these places anyway and wanted to offset it with the incremental 50K bonus... that's why I proposed a 5-continent, 50K run for leisure travelers (and even then, the bonus takes a lot of effort).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.