Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Irafan Welcome to FT

AA is a revenue based ffp. BA is a distance based ffp.
AA is calendar year based. BA is based on the month you join.
It may be hard with AA to meet the AA revenue requirements with economy flights. But just do the calculations. Will depend on if you fly AA or BA flights, how many flights, what you pay, etc.

Lounge access comes with mid level status or class of travel (business first). You may not get to mid level status.

Upgrades USA Eu/UK are hard to get. A lot of people with high status wanting the same. Low priced fares may not be eligible to enter the upgrade contest, Just expect to fly in the seat you buy.
i can work out on BA flight my tier points easily. So I will hit silver by October on my flight.
how can do the same for AA? Is the price? Does it include tax etc? Not completely sure how it works. I’ve read it so many tiems
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Irafan
I can work out on BA flight my tier points easily. So I will hit silver by October on my flight.
How can do the same for AA? Is the price? Does it include tax etc? Not completely sure how it works. I’ve read it so many times
So you have BA status now? (BA silver = OW Sapphire = AA Plat).

With AA taxes are not included in the calculation. That is the fare less the taxes is used. Look in the AA forum for more info.

Look in post 2 for links to other AA vs BA ffp threads

Edit
A good BA vs AA summary https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30519715-post3.html
BA Silver (OW Sapp) gives you domestic lounge access for USA domestic flights, where as AA Plat will not

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 11, 2019 at 2:52 pm
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
So you have BA status now? (BA silver = OW Sapphire = AA Plat)

With AA taxes are not included in the calculation. That is the fare less the taxes is used. Look in the AA forum for more info.

Look in post 2 for links to other AA vs BA ffp threads
thanks for your help!
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:44 pm

I would really appreciate help on choosing the best FFP for us. We just booked our 1st RTW with OW through JAL. We intend to do another RTW also with OW through JAL as starting in Japan gives us the best price. We currently live in Thailand & are likely to do BKK-YUL, BKK-SEA, YUL-SEA routes once every year or 2 years between our other Asia/Europe explorations. We have family near SEA & MTL.

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Good Award redemption rates & better award access
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
25000-50000 but different carrier & different alliances at this time
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply: Economy or Premium Economy when purchasing single segment. Business when using awards or purchasing RTW
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Pleasure
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
Asia & Transpacific
(6) What is your home airport?
BKK
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
No status yet. Delta 40K+ Chase Reserve 300K+
(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?

Last edited by mjoeroy; Jun 13, 2019 at 6:45 pm
Old Jul 4, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: Accor Plus Platinum, SQ PPS Solitaire. TK Elite Plus
Suggestions appreciated

Suggestions is much appreciated.
I currently have 2 Gold *A account; SQ PPS ad TK elite.
Am thinking of starting a One World FFP account.
A quick question too...….any OW airlines has a 2 years validity on their status?.

(1) home airport - Singapore
(2) miles flown each year & in what class? - approx. 100k (60/40 in J & Y class). Fly business for work and mix (depending on availability of reasonable J fares) for leisure
(3) types of fares bought - fly business for work and mix for leisure depending on availability of reasonable J fares
(4) choice of airlines/cabins. work and/or pleasure? For work generally would be SQ. Leisure is pretty mixed and mainly *A.
(5) routes flown most often - Singapore to Europe, USA & Asia.
(6) current FFP status - *A (SQ PPS *G and TK Elite Gold)
(7) What is most important to you in a FFP? Good rates in J, (lounge access, extra baggage, priority boarding, upgrades when flying Y)
(8) Preferred Airlines - SQ & TK

Thank You

Last edited by ACHS68; Jul 5, 2019 at 3:18 am
Old Jul 25, 2019, 6:32 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I'm a little torn here, not sure if I should just credit the miles to my Alaska account, which is already decently accumulating miles, OR chase a OW status.

I've already got Star Alliance Gold, but even while researching maybe I'm dumb, but it seems a lot less readily available on HOW to qualify. I found it on the BA site, but found it difficult on multiple other ones to see how many miles I needed to fly to earn a status level. I'm also not a huge fan of lacking lounge access when flying within North America.

(1) home airport - YVR
(2) miles flown each year & in what class? - ALMOST exclusively Y, occasionally I'll fly J, but my flying is all leisure. I probably fly between 80-100k butt-in-seat miles a year.
(3) types of fares bought - cheapo fares, it's all leisure, so I kinda go where I find good deals to. If J comes up, I'll buy it, but I'm 99% Y.
(4) choice of airlines/cabins - Y almost entirely. Choice of airline would be based mostly on price or chasing a relevant status. With star gold I often pass up decent OW fares and pay up a little bit for Star.
(5) routes flown most often - Wherever the wind blows, more like whatever happens to be cheap
(6) current FFP status - *A (OZ Diamong - Star Gold)
(7) What is most important to you in a FFP? Lounge access. I have no problem with lengthy layovers on cheap tickets if I know I have a place to relax, drink a bit, use a desk and wifi. Redemptions are important as well, reasonable rates/costs. Free seat selections across the alliance would be awesome, if that's even a thing.
(8) Preferred Airlines - Literal answer...probably SQ, but I live in Canada with no SQ flights, so my most common airline is United, or to a lesser extent AC.

So the reason I'm even asking about this is because I already have a short haul BA flight booked, then LHR-YVR in paid F, then YVR-LHR in PY, I think I'll earn some pretty decent credit there. The other reason being I'm trying to buy a ticket from Europe back to YVR and BA is coming up as a pretty great price, it would be in Y, but if it would let me hit status or something then it's more appealing.

Flights already booked...
LGW-TIA - cheapo Y
OTP-LHR - cheapo Y
LHR-YVR - "cheapo" F
YVR-LHR - bought as the return on the "cheapo F" ticket in PY

Planned booking...
ZRH-LHR-YVR - cheapo Y
YVR-LHR - cheapo Y
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:16 pm

Seeking Sapphires in the Skies :D

Good Weekend All!

I am very grateful for the information and insight this forum offers. I've found a few threads / question similar to but off the mark of what I would like to ask.

I'm seeking to build up to OW Sapphire and maintain at least Ruby for the next several years and from my initial research, QF seems to check most of the items in my list BUT I've seen a lot of love for BA and AY on this forum and thus I would like to share my situation with the community and seek your advice, perhaps there is something I've missed in my own assessment.

Thank you in advance and Happy Flying

(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply:

top requirements, which in order of importance are;
1) Priority Check in
2) Priority Boarding
3) Lounge Access
4) baggage

Miles earning and redemption are not that crucial for me, status benefits are the priority

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply:

about c. 25,000 to 60,000 miles (25,000 would be pleasure and work adds another 25,000 to 30,000)

in economy 60%, in premium economy and business 20% each

about 5 to 10 flights broken into 10 to 25 sectors (due to my location and choice of Airlines, I often have more transit options vs. direct flying options)

(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply:

economy 60%, premium economy and business 20% each

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply:

yes and yes, I can choose both
75% pleasure and 25% work

(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply:

East Asia (within SEA and South to North) : 60% (most of my economy flights)
SEA to Australia / NZ : 20%
SEA to Europe : 20%

For QF, I estimate it would be convenient to do 2 flights which would give 4 - 8 QF / JQ segments per year (the 8 comes from choosing transit options)

BA and AY, I estimate I can consistently do 1 - 2 flights per year and segments would be 2 - 4

(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply:

I move around due to work and so I can easily chose flights originating from either BKK, SIN or KUL easily.

In fact when travelling business fare for pleasure I compare itineraries originating from these three locations to seek the best fares.

I also have little trouble transiting via ICN and HKG and have done so for the last two years

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
(AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply:

OW Ruby from CX, I've had very little trouble maintaining CX Silver for a while now (due to travel destinations) but also have not been able to justify the cost of progressing to CX Gold

*S Gold, I can maintain this with just half my existing annual travel so I've capacity for OW

Reply:

preferred: SQ, CX, OZ, BR and (LH / LX)

most common: TG, MI, MH (hence why I wish to build up OW status) and OD

I have NEVER FLOWN on QF, BA or AY. I've seen positive reviews of QF and I could easily change my Australia / New Zealand flights to QF.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
looking for some advice on where to credit miles for an upcoming qr flight....i have top status with skyteam (through delta) & with star alliance (through air india) but don't use any one world carrier....this upcoming flight is probably the only one world carrier flight i will be taking in the foreseeable future....

i have booked 10 business class return tickets for myself & my family members on qr for travel between del - dfw....no one in my family is a member of any one world frequent flyer program (i am a member with ba & cx) so i would have to create accounts for all of them once i figure out where to credit the miles....therefore i'm looking to credit these miles to a program that allows family pooling....

any suggestions would be helpful....
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:39 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Keyser
looking for some advice on where to credit miles for an upcoming qr flight....i have top status with skyteam (through delta) & with star alliance (through air india) but don't use any one world carrier....this upcoming flight is probably the only one world carrier flight i will be taking in the foreseeable future....

i have booked 10 business class return tickets for myself & my family members on qr for travel between del - dfw....no one in my family is a member of any one world frequent flyer program (i am a member with ba & cx) so i would have to create accounts for all of them once i figure out where to credit the miles....therefore i'm looking to credit these miles to a program that allows family pooling....

any suggestions would be helpful....
Look at BA's "Household Account" option. Sounds like it would work very well for you.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Look at BA's "Household Account" option. Sounds like it would work very well for you.
i was looking at ba before i bought the tickets....the 2 things that bother me are high yq to redeem award tickets & they limit the number of members in the household account to 7....but if i can't find a better option then this is where i was going to credit the miles....
Old Aug 16, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Not pooling, but QF allow ff points(~miles) to be transferred between eligible family member for free.
https://www.qantas.com/fflyer/dyn/pr...amilyTransfers
QF is generally a poor ffp. with high cash surcharges on awards

Earn to burn is what needs to be considered

https://www.wheretocredit.com/qr/j
Old Aug 29, 2019, 11:28 am

1) What is your home airport?
BRU (Brussels)
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class?
50k last year, mostly in Y (when I pay), 1 or 2 longhaul in J (when client pays)
discount Y, with the occassional discount J
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or, class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Yes, full flexibility. A mix of work and pleasure.
(5) Which routes do you fly most often?
All over the place. Last year flown to Asia, Australia, North America, Central America and Europe.
(6) Do you have FFP status of any kind of OW or other airline at present?
200 Tier points in Qantas (which I'll probably not fly again in the next 5 years). almost status on SN Miles & More (national airline I tend to fly a lot intra-Europe)
(7) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Lounge access and upgrades to J
(8) Preferred Airlines
Qatar Airways

Excited to see what you guys come up with.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: BRK-B
Reply: Fast track, lounge access, upgrade vouchers
Reply: about 3 - 6 round trips each year, at least one to Europe or US
Reply: Business/Premium Economy in long-haul, Economy in short haul
Reply: Pleasure
Reply: Europe/Intra-Asia
Reply: BKK
Reply: Currently TG*G and formerly BA Silver
Reply: Any, if price in premium classes is reasonable and in accordance to services, meal, seat quality.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
For both Passportinonehand and Noppasit I would imagine crediting to BA would be the best, as the most likely to attain Silver which will give lounge access and other OW Sapphire benefits across the globe. The only difficulty may be the 4 flights needed on BA/IB, although possibly that could be slotted in to a visit to Europe which both suggest would potentially be on their yearly schedule.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 3:42 am

Programs: Miles and more
Newby looking for advice

Hi, taking my first long haul flight with AY to Singapore and not sure which OW programme to join. Flying with my significant other in discounted J. Was considering status challeng with AA, but not sure if it's worth it. Would consider flying BA if I can reach status with them.

1) What is your home airport?
BRU (Brussels)
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class?
between 30-50K, economy intra Europe (Q,H,K), one long haul discount J to Asia
economy, discount J long haul
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or, class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Yes, but not the class of service. A mix of work and pleasure.
(5) Which routes do you fly most often?
Intra Europe, Vienna
(6) Do you have FFP status of any kind of OW or other airline at present?
*G with Agean, Silver with miles and more
(7) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Priority Check in, Priority Boarding, Lounge Access, baggage
(8) Preferred Airlines
Austrian, Lufthansa, SN ( because I fly them a lot for work)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.