Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2020, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
With CX silver (oneworld Ruby), though, you can get a free bag on AA domestic, too.
Incorrect in my opinion. Need OW Sapphire (look at the bottom on OW linked page)
https://www.oneworld.com/travel-benefits#benefits Click on benefits
AA charge for bags on many flights. Baggage not included in many fares
Better to refer to OW status as airline gold/silver has different OW status depending on airline ffp
Old May 17, 2020, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Incorrect in my opinion. Need OW Sapphire (look at the bottom on OW linked page)
Better to refer to OW status as airline gold/silver has different OW status depending on airline ffp
oneworld Ruby passengers get 1 bags worth 23kgs ( 50 lbs ) on American Airlines flights.

Source:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp

1st checked bag is complimentary for:

• Eligible AAdvantage® Aviator® and Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmembers (on domestic American Airlines operated itineraries)
  • AAdvantage® Gold
  • oneworld® Ruby
  • Confirmed Business customers
  • Confirmed Premium Economy customers
ernestnywang likes this.
Old May 18, 2020, 12:30 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Not a oneworld benefit but as stated by ISTFlyer AA does give the one free bag, and I had personally take advantage of it several times when I was a CX MPO silver member. I considered using ruby/sapphire but as all airlines mentioned by tdlim (CX, SQ, and UA) have comparable silver and gold tiers, I decided to keep silver and gold. I know what I'm talking about and did my research / double-checked before I posted my comment .
Old Dec 13, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Currently LT PLT on AA. Don't plan on making the minimum spend on AA for OWE so I'm considering changing programs with the following:

2021 travel: Jan: AA I fare SEA-MIA-BZE-DFW-SEA 6300 miles
Aug - Dec: DONE RTW D fare CPT-DOH-MAD-CMN-CAI-LHR-HKG-BKK 20,000 miles

2022 travel: BKK-KUL-MNL-NRT-DFW-GUA-MIA-SEA-DOH-CPT 27,700 miles
Possibly another RTW end of 2022

Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Lounge access and accruing maximum miles for award travel.
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
~50,000 16-20
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
domestic first, international business
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Yes. Pleasure
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
OW RTW, US domestic
(6) What is your home airport?
SEA but leaving for 2+ years
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
AA LT PLT 400,000 miles
BA 100,000 miles
AS 135,000 miles
UA 100,000 miles
(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
None, AA.

I was thinking that AS might be the best shot at OWE for first class lounge but accruing and using miles is more important.

Thanks
Old Dec 13, 2020, 3:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I too think AS might be a good choice, especially if you're from SEA:

https://onemileatatime.com/alaska-mi...tatus-changes/
https://onemileatatime.com/qatar-airways-seattle/

AS is one of very few (the only?) programs where you earn bonus award miles based on your status, even when you're flying with partners.
So you can buy a cheap QR business class R fare ticket and earn up to 350%.

The only thing I'm not so sure about is lounge access for domestic US flights. I know that AA elites often don't get access, while e.g. BA elites do get in.
Not sure how this would be handled with AS.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
Currently LT PLT on AA. Don't plan on making the minimum spend on AA for OWE so I'm considering changing programs with the following:
<snip>
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
AA LT PLT 400,000 miles
BA 100,000 miles
AS 135,000 miles
UA 100,000 miles
(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
None, AA.

I was thinking that AS might be the best shot at OWE for first class lounge but accruing and using miles is more important.

Thanks
Agree on AS, as they are a AA ff partner now. AS join OW March 31, 2021
You have a massive overlap of AA-AS-BA as they are ff partners. Except for the short time AS-AA were not ff partners
Time to burn those ff miles. They will lose value over time.
Lounge access comes with mid level status:- easy
First lounge access comes with top level status:- harder. But not that many first class lounges.
The AA exception for no lounge access in USA/regional will almost certainly be applied over to AS .
Old Dec 13, 2020, 5:45 pm

Agree on AS, as they are a AA ff partner now. AS join OW March 31, 2021
You have a massive overlap of AA-AS-BA as they are ff partners. Except for the short time AS-AA were not ff partners
Time to burn those ff miles. They will lose value over time.
Lounge access comes with mid level status:- easy
First lounge access comes with top level status:- harder. But not that many first class lounges.
The AA exception for no lounge access in USA/regional will almost certainly be applied over to AS .
I guess I'll lose the OWS (AA LT PLT) status during the AS move but since most travel will be on a DONE fare I'll get lounge access. The 60% PLT mileage bonus on AA will be missed.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I guess I'll lose the OWS (AA LT PLT) status during the AS move but since most travel will be on a DONE fare I'll get lounge access. The 60% PLT mileage bonus on AA will be missed.
If you have AA lifetime plat the oneworld sapphire will never go away. Getting a OWS benefit may be harder.

If awards are an objective it is the earn to burn/cash surcharge that is important. Not the raw numbers. Anyway many folk earn ff miles from frequent spending (credit card). AS award chart is limited, but the AS award stop over feature is good, and now very uncommon.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 6:10 pm

If you have AA lifetime plat the oneworld sapphire will never go away. Getting a OWS benefit may be harder.

If awards are an objective it is the earn to burn/cash surcharge that is important. Not the raw numbers. Anyway many folk earn ff miles from frequent spending (credit card). AS award chart is limited, but the AS award stop over feature is good, and now very uncommon.
Agreed. I thought I would need to use my AA FF# to receive the OWS benefits.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Agreed. I thought I would need to use my AA FF# to receive the OWS benefits.
You would. But with some airlines you can change to the freq flyer number of another ffp after getting a benefit. AA does not allow a change to the ffn after getting a status benefit. But not all airlines have the same policy. The physical card can get entry to some lounges, albeit at the risk the lounge attendant changes the ffn in the reservation. Is very inconsistent across OW airlines and not dependable.. Changing ffn has risks. Keep the physical boarding passes.
tkelvin69 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 6:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
You can also usually change the frequent flier number during boarding, at the gate. Not ideal, but I've sometimes had to resort to it when I couldn't add it during OLCI.
tkelvin69 likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 3:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
AS is one of very few (the only?) programs where you earn bonus award miles based on your status, even when you're flying with partners.
AA also gives bonus award miles based on status, including on most OW partners.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...p#mileagebonus
Old Dec 14, 2020, 4:14 am

Great, I wasn't aware of that! For someone based outside the US, could it make sense to use AA instead of AS?
My plan was actually to switch from BA to AS because of the higher earnings.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 9:41 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I'd think a lot might depend on who/how AS keeps as non-OW partners following the entry into OW. For example, they're currently partners with Latam, Singapore, Emirates, El Al, Korean and Hainan. I'd be surprised if the EK partnership would persist, especially given QR's arrival, but it's not unknown for OW members to keep non-alliance partners. We won't know the final list until (probably) sometime in the first half of 2021. If it was me, I'd probably just be patient for the time being.

BTW, you get AS lounge access with any paid or award FC ticket on day of flight.
ChocolateFactory likes this.

Last edited by Gardyloo; Dec 14, 2020 at 10:03 am
Old Dec 14, 2020, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
I'd think a lot might depend on who/how AS keeps as non-OW partners following the entry into OW. For example, they're currently partners with Latam, Singapore, Emirates, El Al, Korean and Hainan. I'd be surprised if the EK partnership would persist, especially given QR's arrival, but it's not unknown for OW members to keep non-alliance partners. We won't know the final list until (probably) sometime in the first half of 2021. If it was me, I'd probably just be patient for the time being.

BTW, you get AS lounge access with any paid or award FC ticket on day of flight.
Partners outside of OW are common. AA has several others. QF has AF/KLM as ff partners.
https://www.wheretocredit.com/ gives a guide to partners, but need to check the details
To me the too many are over thinking about AS partners after OW entry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.