Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by baby00
Just starting out, so asking if I should continue to chalk things up in my QF or switch to other OW.

(1) home airport - SGP
(2) miles flown each year & in what class? 52k all chalked on Qantas from Jul(start point)-Dec 11. Estimating this year will be 52-80k? Economy
(3) types of fares bought - either a discount economy or economy
(4) choice of airlines/cabins. work and/or pleasure? - work basically whatever is cheapest or reasonably cheap.
(5) routes flown most often - SIN-SYD (2X a year), SIN-LHR (2X), SIN-MIA(1X). Sin-MNL(3X). SIN-PVG(2X a year)
(6) current FFP status - QF Silver. BA lowest (LHR-EDI). United (not sure expiring. First flight may09. silver). AA (1000 miles)
(7) What is most important to you in a FFP? -redemption, upgrade, lounge access
(8) Preferred Airlines - none. SIN-MNL-SIN will be on SQ

Please advise- Going to embark on SIN-LHR-SIN again(CX flights out, BA in)
baby00 Welcome to the forum ^

Better if to have 1 ffp with a OneWorld airline (for QF, CX, AA, & BA flights) and 1 ffp in star alliance (SQ, United & many others) and collect miles in those 2.

QF has very high surcharges on rewards. AA much less. BA some.

Apart from some exceptions, upgrades with airline miles/points can only be on a segment that is both marketed (airline flight number) and operated by the airline (metal). This is a common rule of freq flyer program. So if you want the chance of upgrade you need to collect miles in that ffp. Upgrades are at times very hard to get. Status helps.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 10, 2012 at 5:21 pm
Old May 10, 2012, 7:15 pm

Thanks Mwenenzi.

Should I just keep using my QF account to earn status and miles or should I start all over on AA? I like flying in the 380s from sin....which is a flight that QF provide from SIN-SYD or SIN LHR. Not sure about the others on OW. Didn't know its so hard to get an upgrade- got bumped up on biz once and that flight was non-qualifying for miles i think(zuji.com booking)

SA group- which one will be easy to redeem? I didn't know they changed the ffp for UA and hence under the new program, all my miles(44k) were expired 1 April 12. (My flights were taken end may 09 and late aug 10.) My email account with them was down but UA did not send a hard copy to my physical address too, so I wrote in last night the request for extension of the miles. Getting ready for the worse case scenario of UA not to extend the time I can use to redeem the miles I had. In that case I will be starting ffp in SA from scratch, so need to know which ffp in SA should I use.

Also need help- When I flew SIN-MIA last year (SIN-LHR qantas->LHR->MIA BA. When I returned, I did a 1 week break in LHR), I was only allowed 1 bag. Is it a norm? Do I really have to fly SA routes to get a 2 bags allowance?
Old May 11, 2012, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Should I just keep using my QF account to earn status and miles or should I start all over on AA?..
AA is generally considered a far better freq flyer program than QF, but if you fly QF more and want to partake in the upgrade lottery, QF may be better for you. Especially since you QF 52K points and silver status. Would take many flights to get 30K ~ 40K AA miles

If you have AA miles they cannot be used to upgrade a QF flight.

With QF, it is notoriously difficult to get points upgrade. You do not known if your upgrade request [upgrade lottery] has been successful until just before the flight. And they cost a lot of QF points.

At times a straight out reward redemption with AA miles (on a QF flight) is far better value (and its assured). QF redemption can be difficult to impossible if you are not flexible with dates and/or route. High points cost and very high $$$ co payment fees (compared to AA)

Some low cost QF flights do not get AA miles in the AA program.
All QF flights do get QF points in the QF program.
I have no idea which CX fares get QF points in the QF program. Check the QF web site)
But some QF fares (buckets) are not able to be upgraded with QF points

Be aware that your QF points will expire if you do not have eligible QF activity in 18 months. Expiry after time happens in most programs. Need to log into the airline web site to check. Hard copy freq flyer statement now rare: costs airlines too much real money

SA group- which one will be easy to redeem? I didn't know they changed the ffp for UA and hence under the new program..
Better to ask on the Star forum They have a sticky thread on the top of the page about ffp. Gets good response from several posters (better than here)

Number of bags / allowable weight varies a lot. You just need to check carefully before making a reservation.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 11, 2012 at 10:23 pm
Old May 14, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
(1) What is your home airport? (SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply: DUB Dublin Ireland
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
Reply: not so many on OW - typically only as a last resort - but with BA acquisition of BD perhaps more in future - typically in economy (fly 50-75k or more overall I guess across all alliances)
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ? ( First, Business, Economy etc.)
Reply: economy only
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or, class of service?. Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: I can choose airlines but am a self-payer for all of my travel
(5) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: TA, EUR Domestic, Eur-Asia
(6) Do you have FFP status of any kind of OW or other airline at present? What is it? (AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: DL Platinum (ST Elite+), was UA Silver now about to be Aegean Gold (*G) (also Silver in EQ in case that helps - acquired as a 'promo')
(7) What is most important to you in a FFP? (upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: access to lounges, exit row or prem economy seats, opportunity to redeem for complex itinerary Biz or First awards.
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: whatever works, but I naturally lean towards AF/DL

Last edited by catharsis; May 14, 2012 at 1:52 pm Reason: (added EQ silver)
Old May 18, 2012, 4:06 pm

(1) What is your home airport?
Reply: Melbourne
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? (<25K, 25k-50k, >50k)
Reply: <25k
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ? ( First, Business, Economy etc.)
Reply: Economy
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or, class of service?. Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: I travel primarily for work.
(5) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: MEL-BNE, MEL-HKG, MEL-PEX.
(6) Do you have FFP status of any kind of OW or other airline at present? What is it? (AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: Nope
(7) What is most important to you in a FFP? (upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: Gradual points accumulation. I am increasing the rate that I fly this year and next (taking a RTW mid next year), so I should be able to crawl over the line for some crummy status.
(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: CX
Old May 18, 2012, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Meezzio
Reply: <25k
< snip >
Reply: MEL-BNE, MEL-HKG, MEL-PEX.
< snip >
Reply: Gradual points accumulation. I am increasing the rate that I fly this year and next (taking a RTW mid next year), so I should be able to crawl over the line for some crummy status.

Who do you credit your current flights with (QF / DJ) ?
Is PEX Peking or ? PEX is in Russia
Will the RTW be OneWorld or Star airlines ?
With any ffp need to check if you get miles credit with your home ffp and other airlines in the alliance. All depends on fare bucket
Hard to get status when traveling few miles/trips and in economy

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 18, 2012 at 5:50 pm
Old May 18, 2012, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Who do you credit your current flights with (QF / DJ) ?
Is PEX Peking or ? PEX is in Russia
Will the RTW be OneWorld or Star airlines ?
With any ffp need to check if you get miles credit with your home ffp and other airlines in the alliance. All depends on fare bucket
Hard to get status when traveling few miles/trips and in economy
I actually meant PEK, so Beijing. RTW will be OneWorld.

I currently credit any miles I get to both QF and DJ. I have been quite stupid. I have no false illusions that I am likely to get status any time soon, but depending on how agreeable to wife is, there is a slim chance I will do enough miles.
Old May 20, 2012, 6:06 am
Formerly known as hcampana

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Please help I am completely new to one world!
(1) What is your home airport? AMS
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? <25K not interested in status.
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ? economy
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or, class of service?. Do you travel for work and/or pleasure? Yes. Mostly pleasure.
(5) Which routes do you fly most most? 1 Europe to USA 2 Europe to europe 3 USdomestic
(6) Do you have FFP status of any kind of OW or other airline at present? N
(7) What is most important to you in FFP? Easy to earn miles, good reward redemptions in Econ and business from eur to America and eur to Asia.
(8) Preferred Airlines ???

if I choose iberia or BA can I book awards on AA and vice versa?
Old May 20, 2012, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hcampana
Please help I am completely new to one world!
<snip>
if I choose Iberia or BA can I book awards on AA and vice versa?
Yes. But BA have very high add on surcharges on rewards. I have no idea about IB surcharges. Much less on AA

Where, if any, do you OW miles go now ?

AA has good earn to burn rates. But some fares with BA, IB etc may not be miles earning. For miles collecting with few flights, AA may best for you.
Wait to see what others think
Old May 20, 2012, 7:12 pm

AAdvantage or Asia Miles?

I've got 25,000 miles in Asia Miles.
I've only got 600 miles on American this year.

I'm about to book a round trip from ORD to Perth.

I'm confused with AAdvantage vs Asia Miles, so should I book this new trip using my Asia Miles number, or my AAdvantage number, and start building some One World status?

I am Gold Premier on Star Aliance, but the One World carriers are so much cheaper on this route.

I'll be making this same trip a couple more times, this year.

This board is so full of knowledgeable travelers, so please give me some advice....
Old May 20, 2012, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Where do you live ?
Do you get miles from credit cards or other non flying activities?

Some of your other thread's answered some q's
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...give-them.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ld-i-know.html --> Post 12 by Dave
Old May 20, 2012, 11:34 pm

I live near Chicago.
I do get miles from credit card (Mileage Plus Explorer card)
Old May 21, 2012, 12:02 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
It also depends on what you want to get from a Frequent Flyer program.

- rewards flights?
- lounge access?
- upgrades?
- lifetime status?

Unless you fly a lot of CX there is very little incentive to be with Asia Miles. So personally I would most probably go for AA even so you don't get lounge access domestically.
Old May 21, 2012, 3:01 am

I'm primarily interested in earning free flights. Second would be lifetime status.

That's what I feeling, regarding Asia miles vs AA. So, I think also that doing what I can to earn AA would be better.

Any suggestions for what I can/should do with that 25K miles I've banked with Asia Miles? I'm kicking my butt for even putting those couple of trips into Asia miles rather than AA.
Old May 21, 2012, 8:00 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
I am merging this thread with the ongoing "Deciding on a Oneworld FF Program" sticky thread.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.