Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Old Oct 8, 19, 2:04 pm

Hi everyone, I need some advice to pick a FFP program. I just looked at the flights that I’ve booked for next year and I noticed that I’m consistently flying with oneworld carriers, so I decided I want to join a program, but I need help deciding which one to join.

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Reply: Lounge Access, Priority/Extra Baggage
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Reply: Around 50,000 miles, 2-3 round trips to SIN in Business, a round trip to US/JP and a few flights within EU in Economy so I would say around 40 sectors in total
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
Reply: Business (I or R) to SIN, Economy (L, N, O, Q, S or V) otherwise
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Yes, traveling for pleasure
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
Reply: QR to SIN, AY to US or within EU, JL to JP
(6) What is your home airport?
Reply: GOT, but I usually fly from OSL, CPH or ARN as well
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply: No
(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
Reply: Qatar Airways, Finnair and Japan Airlines

Adding up the amount of status points I can get for the flights I have booked, I can easily reach oneworld Sapphire through BAEC Silver, QRPC Gold and AY+ Gold. I’d be around 300 TPs short of BAEC Gold, around 300 Qpoints short of QRPC Platinum, or around 70k TPs short of AY+ Platinum. I know generally BAEC is the recommended program to join here, and it’s much easier to get the 300 TPs needed for BAEC Gold (compared to how I’d essentially have to double my status points in QRPC and AY+).

My question is, is it worth it to go with BAEC to attain oneworld Emerald? Like I said, 300 TPs within the year shouldn’t be an issue, especially since there are runs like UL to CGK. I think the bigger problem would be getting the 4 BA flights required, since I never fly BA. Though I could just do two roundtrips to LHR or maybe a roundtrip to somewhere else in Europe to reach that (I would never fly medium/long haul with them). Or I guess I could find codeshare flights.

I think that with oneworld Emerald the only difference that I can feel is being able to access First Class lounges? Is there anything else I’m missing? The airports I most often fly through are DOH, SIN, HND and HEL, will it affect me much? The only positive I could think of is that I could status match it to TK to gain *G and decide to switch to flying on *A next year (which is possible since I love NH and SQ). Are there any downsides from joining QRPC or AY+ compared to BAEC? Or is there another program that’s better suited for me? I'd probably want to spend the miles I earn on award upgrades, so that's one reason to not join BAEC I guess.

Thanks in advance, I’d really appreciate the help since I'm really new at this.

Last edited by kevinyu; Oct 8, 19 at 2:11 pm
Old Oct 18, 19, 8:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Leaving Aadvantage, where in OW to go?

Dear all,
I have decided to show AA the loyalty itís had towards me since the USAir takeover.
As a four-to-six time per year traveler to the Middle East/India, from Chicago, I ask all of you, ďOnto which OneWorld FF group should I alight?Ē
British?
RJ?
Qatar?
Cathay?
My theory is, Iíll achieve status pronto, and then upgrades. But I cannot make sense of Avios, Q-miles, Marco Polo, etc. is there an established answer to this question?
I wd like my days as a hamster on Americanís wheel to end.
Much obliged to any respondents.
Clmorgan111 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 19, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by Clearspan View Post
Dear all,
I have decided to show AA the loyalty it’s had towards me since the USAir takeover.
As a four-to-six time per year traveler to the Middle East/India, from Chicago, I ask all of you, “Onto which OneWorld FF group should I alight?”
British?
RJ?
Qatar?
Cathay?
My theory is, I’ll achieve status pronto, and then upgrades. But I cannot make sense of Avios, Q-miles, Marco Polo, etc. is there an established answer to this question?
I wd like my days as a hamster on American’s wheel to end.
There is no single thread that explains the difference between all of the OW FF programs, so that is research you will need to do on your own, using the various FT forums, the webpages of the programs themselves, or maybe some other method
The one thing I can say is OW Sapphire or above on any OW carrier other than AA will get you Lounge Access for trips solely in North American.

"I have decided to show AA the loyalty it’s had towards me since the USAir takeover." - What are you looking for from the other OW carriers you are not getting on AA?
FF programs in general have changed quite a bit in recent years, as flights are fuller and airlines are making $Billions as opposed to having many years of losing money. so airlines are not giving away as much in their FF programs. That said, if choosing another carrier, I would think it would best to use the program of the airline you travel the most on. Also, if you travel quite a bit now,but are going to do less in the future, don't discount the value of lifetime status.

I notice you haven't answered the questions normally answered in this thread. Those would be helpful, to give people more info to help in responding

Original Poster

Old Oct 18, 19, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Dear all,
I have decided to show AA the loyalty itís had towards me since the USAir takeover.
As a four-to-six time per year traveler to the Middle East/India, from Chicago, I ask all of you, ďOnto which OneWorld FF group should I alight?Ē
British?
RJ?
Qatar?
Cathay?
My theory is, Iíll achieve status pronto, and then upgrades. But I cannot make sense of Avios, Q-miles, Marco Polo, etc. is there an established answer to this question?
I wd like my days as a hamster on Americanís wheel to end.
Which carrier, including AA, is providing upgrades on international travel?
Old Oct 18, 19, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dear all,
I have decided to show AA the loyalty it’s had towards me since the USAir takeover.
As a four-to-six time per year traveler to the Middle East/India, from Chicago, I ask all of you, “Onto which OneWorld FF group should I alight?”
British?
RJ?
Qatar?
Cathay?
My theory is, I’ll achieve status pronto, and then upgrades. But I cannot make sense of Avios, Q-miles, Marco Polo, etc. is there an established answer to this question?
I wd like my days as a hamster on American’s wheel to end.
The grass in not always greener on the other side

AA will not notice or care when you stop crediting to AAdvantage.

4 to 6 long haul flights is not a lot. What class of travel? What airlines do you fly? Getting status may be a lot harder than you think.

Jargon and ways to earn status/ff miles is different between frequent flyer programs.
Non USA ffp's tend not to use the word miles for redeemable & status. Status generally uses a different word. [Is far simpler]

Avios is the ff currency of BA, IB & others. Like AA redeemable freq flyer miles
Cathay Pacific has Asiamiles (ff miles) & Marcopolo (status). Well explained in the CX forum
Q-miles is the ff currency Qatar Airlines.

How do think you will get upgrades? There is vast difference between upgrade practices between USA and non USA airlines. With non USA airlines always expect to fly in the cabin you buy. The USA ffp expectation/entitlement to upgrades does not happen with non USA ffp's. Only AA/IB/BA have cross airlines upgrade system, but has onerous t&c's

Look at posts 1, 2 & 3 in this thread

OP other locked thread--> Leaving Aadvantage, where to go?

The grass in not always greener on the other side
Old Oct 20, 19, 4:30 am

Programs: HNA, KLM
(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Extra luggage allowance, fast track security, lounge

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Unsure about oneworld flights but usually 50+ flights a year/ short haul economy, long-haul business 20 flights

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
Short haul Economy, long haul business (8+ hours)

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Yes, mostly work
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
China domestic, China to Europe, China to US. Hainan Airlines, China Eastern, KLM
(6) What is your home airport?
Beijing Capital, Shanghai

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Hainan Platinum, 80k, KLM Silver, 130k

(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
Hainan, Delta, Eastern, Xiamen, Sichuan.

Search this Thread