Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2019, 2:04 pm

Hi everyone, I need some advice to pick a FFP program. I just looked at the flights that I’ve booked for next year and I noticed that I’m consistently flying with oneworld carriers, so I decided I want to join a program, but I need help deciding which one to join.

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Reply: Lounge Access, Priority/Extra Baggage
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Reply: Around 50,000 miles, 2-3 round trips to SIN in Business, a round trip to US/JP and a few flights within EU in Economy so I would say around 40 sectors in total
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
Reply: Business (I or R) to SIN, Economy (L, N, O, Q, S or V) otherwise
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Yes, traveling for pleasure
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
Reply: QR to SIN, AY to US or within EU, JL to JP
(6) What is your home airport?
Reply: GOT, but I usually fly from OSL, CPH or ARN as well
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply: No
(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
Reply: Qatar Airways, Finnair and Japan Airlines

Adding up the amount of status points I can get for the flights I have booked, I can easily reach oneworld Sapphire through BAEC Silver, QRPC Gold and AY+ Gold. I’d be around 300 TPs short of BAEC Gold, around 300 Qpoints short of QRPC Platinum, or around 70k TPs short of AY+ Platinum. I know generally BAEC is the recommended program to join here, and it’s much easier to get the 300 TPs needed for BAEC Gold (compared to how I’d essentially have to double my status points in QRPC and AY+).

My question is, is it worth it to go with BAEC to attain oneworld Emerald? Like I said, 300 TPs within the year shouldn’t be an issue, especially since there are runs like UL to CGK. I think the bigger problem would be getting the 4 BA flights required, since I never fly BA. Though I could just do two roundtrips to LHR or maybe a roundtrip to somewhere else in Europe to reach that (I would never fly medium/long haul with them). Or I guess I could find codeshare flights.

I think that with oneworld Emerald the only difference that I can feel is being able to access First Class lounges? Is there anything else I’m missing? The airports I most often fly through are DOH, SIN, HND and HEL, will it affect me much? The only positive I could think of is that I could status match it to TK to gain *G and decide to switch to flying on *A next year (which is possible since I love NH and SQ). Are there any downsides from joining QRPC or AY+ compared to BAEC? Or is there another program that’s better suited for me? I'd probably want to spend the miles I earn on award upgrades, so that's one reason to not join BAEC I guess.

Thanks in advance, I’d really appreciate the help since I'm really new at this.

Last edited by kevinyu; Oct 8, 2019 at 2:11 pm
Old Oct 18, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Leaving Aadvantage, where in OW to go?

Dear all,
I have decided to show AA the loyalty it’s had towards me since the USAir takeover.
As a four-to-six time per year traveler to the Middle East/India, from Chicago, I ask all of you, “Onto which OneWorld FF group should I alight?”
British?
RJ?
Qatar?
Cathay?
My theory is, I’ll achieve status pronto, and then upgrades. But I cannot make sense of Avios, Q-miles, Marco Polo, etc. is there an established answer to this question?
I wd like my days as a hamster on American’s wheel to end.
Much obliged to any respondents.
Clmorgan111 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Clearspan
Dear all,
I have decided to show AA the loyalty it’s had towards me since the USAir takeover.
As a four-to-six time per year traveler to the Middle East/India, from Chicago, I ask all of you, “Onto which OneWorld FF group should I alight?”
British?
RJ?
Qatar?
Cathay?
My theory is, I’ll achieve status pronto, and then upgrades. But I cannot make sense of Avios, Q-miles, Marco Polo, etc. is there an established answer to this question?
There is no single thread that explains the difference between all of the OW FF programs, so that is research you will need to do on your own, using the various FT forums, the webpages of the programs themselves, or maybe some other method
The one thing I can say is OW Sapphire or above on any OW carrier other than AA will get you Lounge Access for trips solely in North American.

"I have decided to show AA the loyalty it’s had towards me since the USAir takeover." - What are you looking for from the other OW carriers you are not getting on AA?
FF programs in general have changed quite a bit in recent years, as flights are fuller and airlines are making $Billions as opposed to having many years of losing money. so airlines are not giving away as much in their FF programs. That said, if choosing another carrier, I would think it would best to use the program of the airline you travel the most on. Also, if you travel quite a bit now,but are going to do less in the future, don't discount the value of lifetime status.

I notice you haven't answered the questions normally answered in this thread. Those would be helpful, to give people more info to help in responding

Original Poster

Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Dear all,
British?
RJ?
Qatar?
Cathay?
Which carrier, including AA, is providing upgrades on international travel?
Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dear all,
British?
RJ?
Qatar?
Cathay?
The grass in not always greener on the other side

AA will not notice or care when you stop crediting to AAdvantage.

4 to 6 long haul flights is not a lot. What class of travel? What airlines do you fly? Getting status may be a lot harder than you think.

Jargon and ways to earn status/ff miles is different between frequent flyer programs.
Non USA ffp's tend not to use the word miles for redeemable & status. Status generally uses a different word. [Is far simpler]

Avios is the ff currency of BA, IB & others. Like AA redeemable freq flyer miles
Cathay Pacific has Asiamiles (ff miles) & Marcopolo (status). Well explained in the CX forum
Q-miles is the ff currency Qatar Airlines.

How do think you will get upgrades? There is vast difference between upgrade practices between USA and non USA airlines. With non USA airlines always expect to fly in the cabin you buy. The USA ffp expectation/entitlement to upgrades does not happen with non USA ffp's. Only AA/IB/BA have cross airlines upgrade system, but has onerous t&c's

Look at posts 1, 2 & 3 in this thread

OP other locked thread--> Leaving Aadvantage, where to go?

The grass in not always greener on the other side
Old Oct 20, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: HNA, KLM
Extra luggage allowance, fast track security, lounge

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Unsure about oneworld flights but usually 50+ flights a year/ short haul economy, long-haul business 20 flights

Short haul Economy, long haul business (8+ hours)

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Yes, mostly work
China domestic, China to Europe, China to US. Hainan Airlines, China Eastern, KLM
Beijing Capital, Shanghai

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Hainan Platinum, 80k, KLM Silver, 130k

Hainan, Delta, Eastern, Xiamen, Sichuan.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
Lounge access, ability to change flights, baggage. Lifetime status with minimal renewal requirements.

200k/yr, in discounted C and economy. Some intra-Europe shorthaul, otherwise mostly TATL/TPAC. Currently focused on Star Alliance (TK Elite Plus) and Alaska MVPG75K (via Condor/BA/etc.), but want OW status too.

Discounted business class, FF mile redemptions, or coach, in that order.

Pretty flexible. I can even do F when it's a great deal factoring in status/miles, but $2-3k r/t C intl longhaul is my comfort point.

SJU/NYC origin, going to Europe (ZRH, FRA) and asia (TYO, HKG, BKK, SIN), and Brazil (GIG or GRU)
Currently mostly fly DE LX CX LH AS JL SQ BA. Can shift JL and BA to OW program. Will add QR.

SJU, also NYC and ZRH.

AS MVPG75K (600k), TK *G (80k)

DE JL NH SQ CX AS B6 LH LX

(I'm basically most seriously considering JL so I can try to get JGC, mainly by shifting flights to JL CX BA and switching some FF redemptions to paid for 2020-2021, in the hopes of getting ~lifetime status. I can maintain AS and TK status fairly easily in addition.)
Old Oct 29, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
To the collective, thank you in advance.

I am / always will be primarily a Star Alliance member.

Having the mileage points NOT expire with minimal effort. (For example, Air Canada requires activity in their account at least once a year)

25,000 K - all on either Air Canada or ANA

Economy +

For "pleasure". Full flexibility to choose. .

ITM - HND - YVR - YVR - HND - UKB

KIX, UKB, ITM

None

AC / ANA but it Cathay in OW

I want to join OW mileage program that allows me to maintain the points relatively easily. Points that DO NOT EXPIRE in a year....

I probably will never be an ONE WORLD guy because of my homes located in Canada and Japan. AC / ANA is just too convenient to be locked into JAL program. However, while located in Japan, the need to use JAL / One World comes up every once in a while. Don't want those points to go to waste.

With thanks
Old Oct 29, 2019, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Taiwaned
I am / always will be primarily a Star Alliance member.

Having the mileage points NOT expire with minimal effort. (For example, Air Canada requires activity in their account at least once a year)
<snip>
I want to join OW mileage program that allows me to maintain the points relatively easily. Points that DO NOT EXPIRE in a year....

I probably will never be an ONE WORLD guy because of my homes located in Canada and Japan. AC / ANA is just too convenient to be locked into JAL program. However, while located in Japan, the need to use JAL / One World comes up every once in a while. Don't want those points to go to waste.
I am not aware of any OW ffp that has ff miles/points that never expire
Several have ff miles/points that will not expire if you have eligible activity in X months. X = 18 months for AA and 36 months for BA.

The definition of eligible activity varies between ffp's.
The ability to earn ff miles/points from non flying activities varies (hotel, rental cars, shopping, other etc). Is quite easy with AA. AA forum has a dedicated thread on this topic.
BA allows family pooling (House hold account)
Some low cost fares/buckets earn nil/little to any ffp, including to CX AsiaMiles

Expiry thread (does not have all ffp's) Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki. Many ffp's have a hard expiry
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:47 pm

Lounge access, luggage, saving and redeeming miles

In Oneworld very limited. Max 10 a year. Mostly Economy

(3) What types of fares do You usually buy?
Economy

Yes, mostly work
Intra Europe, Europe-Latin America
Amsterdam

KLM Platinum, Turkish Gold. at British Airways 20.000 avios

KLM Air France

main goal of my OW account is to bank and use miles, since I don’t expect to reach any significant status
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nvgfocus
Lounge access, luggage, saving and redeeming miles

In Oneworld very limited. Max 10 a year. Mostly Economy

(3) What types of fares do You usually buy?
Economy

Yes, mostly work

Intra Europe, Europe-Latin America

Amsterdam

KLM Platinum, Turkish Gold. at British Airways 20.000 avios

KLM Air France

main goal of my OW account is to bank and use miles, since I don’t expect to reach any significant status
Lounge access comes with class of travel (business - first) or mid-high tier status. You will not get status with a few economy flights.
British Airlines are in the Oneworld alliance. With eligible activity BA avios will not expire.
Why change from BAEC??
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Lounge access comes with class of travel (business - first) or mid-high tier status. You will not get status with a few economy flights.
British Airlines are in the Oneworld alliance. With eligible activity BA avios will not expire.
Why change from BAEC??
just want to make sure I am using the best OW program to save and use my miles, no direct reason to change :-)
Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nvgfocus
Just want to make sure I am using the best OW program to save and use my miles, no direct reason to change :-)
If you change to another ffp is a risk of the BA avios expiring due to non activity.

Having multiple ffp’s with low balances is never a good idea. You may never get enough ff miles/points to be of use before they expire. Adding frequent miles in a ff program that you can use, are worth more than ff miles in an orphan ffp that you will never use, even if the earning rate is nominally better. FFP’s are for the short to medium term.

The grass in not always greener on the other side. More so if flying few cheap flights.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Hello everybody, I'd be really happy to get some suggestions here

Reply: 1. lounge access, 2. good value for mileage redemptions in business (or lower fuel cost)
Reply: 50'000+ Miles. About 30-40 flights a year.
Reply: economy cheapest or low cost if intra-european. Business for long-haul 6 hours +
Reply: I can choose, but I pay myself, so usually prefer to choose cost effective option.
I usually fly business if the return is under 2000 Euros, I'm mostly flexible with dates.
Reply: 2x per year or more to Asia. 2x per year to Americas (South or US) + 1-2x long hauls to Middle East, South Africa (...)
Reply: BUD main. Secondary: VIE, ZRH
Reply: no. Have had Lan Emerald in the past (not very useful info, but it was great)
Reply: I like Qatar airways a lot. They have good deals in J out of Budapest.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others

(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)

Reply: I would portion my interests in obtaining OW status accordingly:

- 40% AA lounge access when flying domestically for work in mix of J/Y.

- 25% AA upgrades domestically (obviously not realistically available if I don't choose AA as my program)

- 15% ability to generate useful miles for booking J/F tickets

- 10% OW status benefits internationally when flying Y (priority seating, baggage, etc)

- 5% ability to book/cancel OW awards without penalty

- 5% OW lounge access internationally (Most of my int'l travel is in J, so I'd be interested in OW F lounges if I can procure that status)

Reply: For OW purposes, I already have the following booked from Feb-Jul 2020:

- JFK-LAX-MEL-SYD on AA in J (fare class R)

- JFK-LHR-OPO on BA in F (fare class A)

- CMN-MAD-DFW/LAX-JFK-MAD-CMN on AA in J (fare classes D/I, AA mistake fare)

- JFK-HKG in on CX in F (fare class A, return on the CX mistake fare to Vietnam)

I expect to otherwise fly about 50,000 miles domestically within the US in 2020. I would expect about 40,000 of those miles to be in Y and 10,000 to be in J. I'll fly about 60 segments across 20 tickets.

Reply: Economy with the occasional cheap J/F ticket internationally.

Reply: I can choose my airlines. I can book J for work on flights over 2.5 hours; shorter must be in economy. I never fly internationally for work. Domestic, I can purchase J but typically purchase Y.

Reply: Right now, I mostly fly DL domestically in a mix of destinations. I fly a lot from DCA around the East Coast, which is why AA has become more interesting to me. Many of the destinations I want to fly from DCA are better served by AA than DL, which is why I'm considering making a change.

Internationally, I fly whatever award I can grab or whatever is cheapest with a lie-flat seat.

DCA, with the occasional flight out of IAD. There's a chance I could end up closer to BWI by the winter of 2020.

I don't have any OW status. In the past, I've held AB Gold from a status match and AA Plat from a Hyatt offer. Right now, I have about 90K BA miles and 70K QF miles.

I do like the idea of earning EK awards, although that would limit me to JAL. I like B6, although that's obviously not part of the program and perhaps irrelevant to the question at hand. I do prefer DL to AA, although AA's route dominance in DCA makes it more likely I have to consider AA. I prefer AA metal slightly to BA over the Atlantic, although I haven't had the opportunity to fly in preferred BA seats without status. I have only flown Iberia in inter-EU J and quite liked ending up in a weird cushy recliner as opposed to traditional EU J. I've only flown AY on the 350 from LHR-HEL and liked it.

I'm very fond of CX but don't see myself traveling to southeast Asia very frequently in the years to come.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.