Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

LoganApp Welcome to FT & Aussie when you get here

Originally Posted by LoganApp
I'm so glad this thread is here!!! I live in Boston but I'm starting university in Sydney in February. I'll have AAdvantage Gold by the end of this year. Getting to Sydney, though, I'm not sure if it's best for my to stick with AAdvantage or try something new.

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Upgrades are probably most important, but I also love lounge access and priority boarding/check-in.
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
I'm planning on doing two round trips a year between BOS and SYD. That's around 40,000 miles total (with connections and class of service boosts I'm sure I could get that to 50,000/year). BOS-SYD is usually 2-3 sectors in each direction, so anywhere from 8-12 sectors total. I'm only considering flying premium economy (business sometimes) because I can't squeeze into economy for so long.
<snip>
As you are going to Aust for study I assume it for a short time: 1 year , maybe 2 years
Stay with AA ffp. Do not consider QF ffp, even for 1 second.
Australia does not have a domestic Star Alliance airline.

You will not get upgrades on QF flights with AA status. And QF freq flyers are very very unlikely to get upgrades flying on QF. Requires a lot of QF points. Is referred as the "upgrade lottery". See post 330 in this thread.

The upgrade philosophy with upgrades on USA and non USA airline is vastly different. With all non USA airlines expect to fly in the cabin you buy, no matter what ff status.

Some AA forum threads that may be of interest
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FT, LoganApp.

In the longer run, after uni, will you be leaning to return to the US or to live abroad? If so, which country would you be aiming for work / residency?
I have no clue right now. If I had to guess, I'd say I'd be returning to the US, because unless I either get a job offer and a work visa, or Australian citizenship, I need to leave once my student visa expires. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FT, LoganApp.

In the longer run, after uni, will you be leaning to return to the US or to live abroad? If so, which country would you be aiming for work / residency?

I'm not sure yet. If I had to guess, I'd say I'll be returning to the US, but it's four years from now so it's hard to say. I would either come back or stay in Australia, not move to another 3rd country.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
LoganApp Welcome to FT & Aussie when you get here

As you are going to Aust for study I assume it for a short time: 1 year , maybe 2 years
Stay with AA ffp. Do not consider QF ffp, even for 1 second.
Australia does not have a domestic Star Alliance airline.

You will not get upgrades on QF flights with AA status. And QF freq flyers are very very unlikely to get upgrades flying on QF. Requires a lot of QF points. Is referred as the "upgrade lottery". See post 330 in this thread.

The upgrade philosophy with upgrades on USA and non USA airline is vastly different. With all non USA airlines expect to fly in the cabin you buy, no matter what ff status.
Wow, thank you. I actually will be down there for four years. Do you think a certain program earns elite status faster? I know Qantas has double status credit promos sometimes. The whole elite qualifying process is so different between these airlines.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LoganApp
Wow, thank you. I actually will be down there for four years. Do you think a certain program earns elite status faster? I know Qantas has double status credit promos sometimes. The whole elite qualifying process is so different between these airlines.
Is USA home? 3 or 4 years does make a difference. However getting Au residency is a lot different to student visa status.

No simple definitive answer on earning status quickly. Depends on many things:- airline, class of travel , fare booking class. Just need to crunch the numbers in a spread sheet. So can be a wild guess looking to the future. AA is based on calendar year. QF is 12 months based on the date you join the ffp. With QF, get more status credits on QF than on other partner airlines. QF double status are limited offer for a short time. That should not effect a AA vs QF ffp choice.

If you get an Au credit card you can credit to QF (or VA?). Credit card offers & points are a lot less than in USA.

AA has a status challenge. If flying in a premium cabin that helps a lot
AA thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ge-2017-a.html

Edit: LoganApp's other thread on this topic
AAdvantage vs. QF Frequent Flyer for Flying Regularly between BOS-SYD

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 20, 2018 at 5:59 pm
Old Sep 29, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by Seattle1
Hi, I am new to one world but will be taking some flights on British Airways. I have status on Star Alliance. Hope to get some advice.

Reply: Consolidating miles for redemption or upgrade. Second, to get status for lounge access

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?

Reply: with one world, likely <10,000, <10 flights

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
Reply: Economy
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Yes to both. More for work.

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
Reply: US domestic, Europe (within Europe)

(6) What is your home airport?
Reply: Singapore

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?

Reply: None with OW. Frequent flyer on Star Alliance (SQ)

(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
Reply: Likely American Airlines
I previously posted this question, and my answers to the questions above are still the same. I recently flew on Qatar (J) and have some miles to credit.

Can I ask which of the airlines in OW has miles that last longest, or do not expire (for ordinary flyer status)? I very rarely fly OW airlines, so my goal would be to accumulate the miles in one account for the rare occasion that I use it.

As an alternative, is it useful to spend the miles on shopping etc?

I am thinking of the following airlines to base my files, but all suggestions are welcome:
- American Airlines
- Cathay Pacific (since it is in the region)
- British Airways (but only for flights originating in the UK, which is very uncommon)

Please let me know your advice.

Thanks!
Old Sep 29, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seattle1
I previously posted this question, and my answers to the questions above are still the same. I recently flew on Qatar (J) and have some miles to credit.

Can I ask which of the airlines in OW has miles that last longest, or do not expire (for ordinary flyer status)? I very rarely fly OW airlines, so my goal would be to accumulate the miles in one account for the rare occasion that I use it.

As an alternative, is it useful to spend the miles on shopping etc?

I am thinking of the following airlines to base my files, but all suggestions are welcome:
- American Airlines
- Cathay Pacific (since it is in the region)
- British Airways (but only for flights originating in the UK, which is very uncommon)
Guide to expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.
Activity required to stop expiry every 18 months or 36 months is common. What is eligible "activity" can vary by ffp.
CX Asia Miles have a 3 year hard expiry, so CX ffp is not for you.

Note many airline ffp's required you to be a signed up member at the date of the flight. Some airline ffps allow you to join and retro claim for past flights made in the previous X days. X does vary between ffp's. X = 30 days is common & 90 with BA. And with some ffp's can be limited to flights on the own airline and not partners. Some info on retro credit is post 1 (may not be up to date).
You only need to join 1 OW ffp. Not multiple "airlines to base my miles"

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 29, 2018 at 11:07 pm
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:20 pm
Suspended

I'll be moving from HEL to HKG in about 6 months along with a complete change in my travel patterns. Along with the QR devaluation and crappy customer service, it's high time to switch FFPs. I think I'll fly enough to earn OWE, even on AY. I use miles mainly for upgrades as work travel is quite restricted. Don't really ever use non-upgrade redemptions.

Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply:
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: >50 flights, >50k miles. But not much higher than that.
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply: Typically economy. Some cheap business tickets. Economy flights for work often higher fare buckets.
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Yes, and both (roughly 50/50)
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: HEL-Asia, intra-European (will be reduced), HEL-South Africa (but that will be reduced), probably will have an increasing number of intra-Asian flights next year
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply: HEL now, HKG soon
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
(AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: QR Plat, almost renewed for next year so that I can enjoy the benefits while switching.
Reply: QR, CX and AY.

Here are my options and the main concerns on each:
QR - devaluation and poor on the ground service, but relatively easy status
AY - status is harder to earn, not many upgrades even as a plat? But probably the most convenient for upgrades.
CX - don't know much the program.
BA - supposedly good value and easy status. However, upgrading on BA isn't great and rumors of another devaluation?

So I'm leaning towards AY unless someone can convince me not to? I am a bit concerned that Plat on AY takes 4 HKG-HEL roundtrips in J (which I can do without much pain, it's just annoyingly high a bar) and is almost impossible in economy.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
Originally Posted by mpkz
I'll be moving from HEL to HKG in about 6 months along with a complete change in my travel patterns. Along with the QR devaluation and crappy customer service, it's high time to switch FFPs. I think I'll fly enough to earn OWE, even on AY. I use miles mainly for upgrades as work travel is quite restricted. Don't really ever use non-upgrade redemptions.

Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply:
Reply: >50 flights, >50k miles. But not much higher than that.
Reply: Typically economy. Some cheap business tickets. Economy flights for work often higher fare buckets.
Reply: Yes, and both (roughly 50/50)
Reply: HEL-Asia, intra-European (will be reduced), HEL-South Africa (but that will be reduced), probably will have an increasing number of intra-Asian flights next year
Reply: HEL now, HKG soon
Reply: QR Plat, almost renewed for next year so that I can enjoy the benefits while switching.
Reply: QR, CX and AY.

Here are my options and the main concerns on each:
QR - devaluation and poor on the ground service, but relatively easy status
AY - status is harder to earn, not many upgrades even as a plat? But probably the most convenient for upgrades.
CX - don't know much the program.
BA - supposedly good value and easy status. However, upgrading on BA isn't great and rumors of another devaluation?

So I'm leaning towards AY unless someone can convince me not to? I am a bit concerned that Plat on AY takes 4 HKG-HEL roundtrips in J (which I can do without much pain, it's just annoyingly high a bar) and is almost impossible in economy.
CX is not for you because you can only gain 1 tier at a time, and OWE is even harder to earn/ maintain than on AY.

AY would be the best if you were sure of qualifying for OWE, but since you're not, the other options are (1) AA, (2) doing just enough for BA Gold annually and banking miles with AS/ AA.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: MPC SL; Amex Plat
Should I switch my program?

MPC members have also helped me out: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...y-program.html

Lifelong CX program participant, but the changes for the past few years caused many troubles. I recently relocated to Buffalo, NY for work. For about 9 more months here. I will be in the US at least for the next 2-3 years. Debating whether or not to switch from CX program to AA. With the amount of air traveling, I am at least a Sapphire in other programs, but CX has been especially tough. Now that I have fewer opportunities to enjoy the HKG lounges now, I'm unsure is it a good idea to switch up? I also banked a lot of credit card points from Amex Plat, so looking to utilize that with the right reward redemption program.

General travel picture:
1-2 Roundtrip flights from US - HKG per year (Econ/Prem)
1-2 major vacation flights, combine with some mileage runs.
5-10 domestic flights for work/pleasure per year

I will manage to become CX Gold before the annual cycle. But should I spend my efforts building Exec Plat instead? Should I keep my Amex Plat card with limited Centurion Lounges around me? Should I stay in for at least another cycle with all miles savings? Should I stay to focus on the upgrades for HKG flights with CX?

A newcomer in the forum here, thanks for all the help so far!

Questions
Reply: Upgrades on travel, award redemption rates, lounges
Reply: >50,000miles
Reply: Econ/ Prem Econ
c(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Yes. Mostly for pleasure, minor flight trips.
Reply: Mostly long hauls, CX: North America (ORD/YYZ/NYC) -> HKG, AA with all my domestic flights
Reply: Base in BUF/ YYZ
Reply: CX SIlver, 415 points away from Gold. Debating to move up to Gold or not. Or Participate AA Status Challenge.
Reply: Preferred CX. Most common AA, CX, then BA

Cheers,

Hugo

Last edited by hugotam0; Nov 6, 2018 at 3:43 pm
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:13 am

Best OW program for status only

Wanted to share some thoughts for those looking for a OW program for status only and are not bothered about spending miles, expiring miles, upgrades etc.

I searched on the basis that all flights credited would be discount economy with no particular preference for any one airline.

Researched all OW member sites and found that many do not credit discount economy fares (e.g. MH), give very little credit (BA, IB, CX, QF etc) or have a money component (AA). So, e.g. with BA or IB you'd need to fly about 5-6 long haul discount economy return flights for Ruby and about 12-14 for Sapphire.

From what I found, AY is probably the best option for those who want to gain status via discount economy travel. Ruby with about 2-3 long haul discount economy return flights and Sapphire with about 6-7.

QR looks promising in terms of their tier thresholds but unfortunately their mileage/elite points calculator does not work, so it is not known if they are a better option than AY.

Last edited by flyercity; Nov 14, 2018 at 10:48 am
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:32 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by flyercity
Best OW program for status only

Wanted to share some thoughts for those looking for a OW program for status only and are not bothered about spending miles, expiring miles, upgrades etc.

I searched on the basis that all flights credited would be discount economy with no particular preference for any one airline.

Researched all OW member sites and found that many do not credit discount economy fares (e.g. MH), give very little credit (BA, IB, CX, QF etc) or have a money component (AA). So, e.g. with BA or IB you'd need to fly about 5-6 long haul discount economy return flights for Ruby and about 12-14 for Sapphire.

From what I found, AY is probably the best option for those who want to gain status via discount economy travel. Ruby with about 2-3 long haul discount economy return flights and Sapphire with about 6-7.

QR looks promising in terms of their tier thresholds but unfortunately their mileage/elite points calculator does not work, so it is not known if they are a better option than AY.
For Sapphire, 50 50min JAL flights.
JAL provides package tour that travels 16 flights in two days. (However, 2 flights are LONG HAUL between Tokyo/Haneda and Okinawa).

Then, once get Sapphire, JAL credit card (JAL Global Club) provides Sapphire status without flying if you keep paying annual fee.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Wasabi Tofu
JAL provides package tour that travels 16 flights in two days. (However, 2 flights are LONG HAUL between Tokyo/Haneda and Okinawa).
Where can I find details?
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Where can I find details?
I couldn't find English page. But

https://www.jal.co.jp/domtour/kyu/amaminosora

This year's tour provides only 14 segments for 2 days.
Last winter, there were Okinawa based tour and Kagoshima based tour.

Practically, this isn't an guided tour. So, almost same as your own arrangement.
Another popular segment based status run route is 8 segments a day by (FUK-KMI-FUK)x4
Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:20 am

Programs: AC 50K
Okay here's my situation, I mainly fly AC because of where I'm based, but this year has me transiting while on different continents so I've done trips on BA, Iberian, CX and American. I realized I probably won't be able to retro actively claim these flights but I figure I should probably sign up for a one world program because I guess these smaller flights will eventually all add up. I'm torn between American and CX's programs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.