Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage vs. QF Frequent Flyer for Flying Regularly between BOS-SYD

Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:56 am
Original Poster

I live in Boston but am about to start university in Sydney in February. I've done some domestic flying this year which will get me to AAdvantage Gold by 12/31 so at least I'll have some status for these long flights next year. I'm planning on always buying at least premium economy, and sometimes business, because I'm too tall to squeeze into main cabin for so long. It looks like I'll mostly be flying Qantas, but also BA, AA, Qatar, Cathay Pacific, and maybe LATAM. I'll probably be making two round trips/year between BOS and SYD. Not sure if I should stick with AAdvantage and shoot for Platinum or just use my 2019 Gold status and switch over to QF Frequent Flyer, or maybe even Executive Club or Marco Polo.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Welcome to FT LoganApp

This thread over on the Oneworld forum might help you make your decision - Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.
LoganApp, JDiver and samwise6222 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LoganApp
I live in Boston but am about to start university in Sydney in February. I've done some domestic flying this year which will get me to AAdvantage Gold by 12/31 so at least I'll have some status for these long flights next year. I'm planning on always buying at least premium economy, and sometimes business, because I'm too tall to squeeze into main cabin for so long. It looks like I'll mostly be flying Qantas, but also BA, AA, Qatar, Cathay Pacific, and maybe LATAM. I'll probably be making two round trips/year between BOS and SYD. Not sure if I should stick with AAdvantage and shoot for Platinum or just use my 2019 Gold status and switch over to QF Frequent Flyer, or maybe even Executive Club or Marco Polo.
In the other thread Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here. you state.
I'm planning on doing two round trips a year between BOS and SYD. That's around 40,000 miles total (with connections and class of service boosts I'm sure I could get that to 50,000/year). BOS-SYD is usually 2-3 sectors in each direction, so anywhere from 8-12 sectors total. I'm only considering flying premium economy (business sometimes) because I can't squeeze into economy for so long.
That is very few flights in the over scheme of things.

Stay with AA ffp.
Absolutely no logic in considering BA & CX. For BA you need 2/4 BA flights for status.

The airline you fly most or an airline of the country you live is the best ffp for many people. Generally you are better earning on your primary airline due to greater recognition, better service when disruptions, ability to upgrade flights, possible operational upgrades and simpler to earn non flying ff miles/points.
LoganApp and JDiver like this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Delta GM, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I'd stay with AA, being as you are US-based. In general, all Oneworld airlines are quite good at recognizing status from the others, which will get you lounge access at your connection points, even if your ticket doesn't.

I'd also aim to fly on CX, AA, or Qatar when possible since those are all one-stop options from Boston. I quite enjoy CX, but you'll find plenty who say Qatar is better.
LoganApp likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dantheflyingman

I'd also aim to fly on CX, AA, or Qatar when possible since those are all one-stop options from Boston. I quite enjoy CX, but you'll find plenty who say Qatar is better.
I would avoid CX and QR due to the large detour of Doha or Hong Kong - 40% extra flying via Doha than LAX

AA or QF seem the logical options to me if wanting to use OneWorld
Old Sep 21, 2018, 4:18 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
If your not in rush to get to Sydney when traveling,
why not try out all the OW options, it could be fun
Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by fotographer
Plus a few thousand extra EQMs and EQDs never hurt anyone!
fotographer and LoganApp like this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by fotographer
Exactly, if you're not in a hurry...
AY (Finnair) regularly has ~$3k fares from NYC to SIN (and much of east Asia) in biz. From there, I'm sure you can find reasonable fares to Australia.
UL (Sri Lankan) has some deals going too, this PVG-MEL fare has been out there a while (not sure if the deal is still active).
fotographer and LoganApp like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.