Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: LH SEN
(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Reply: upgrades on travel, good award redemption rates, lounge access, clear path to top tier

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Reply: 100,000 - 125,000; long-haul in business, short-haul in economy

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
Reply: Business long-haul; economy short-haul

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Yes, can choose; travel mainly for work

(5) Which routes do you fly most often?
Reply: Europe domestic, USA, Asia

(6) What is your home airport?
Reply: FRA

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply: LH SEN

(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
Reply: Currently LH, looking for alternatives

Last edited by FS_FRA; Aug 28, 2014 at 9:11 am Reason: mileage correction
Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: FB Platinum
I'm looking for an FFP to sign up for that will probably become my primary FFP when i move to London next year. Currently with Flying Blue as my family resides in France and i've moved to Paris for one year.

(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: Priority services, Baggage allowance, lounge access

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Reply: Roughly 35-40000 at the moment though i'll probably hit the >50000 miles threshold this year. Currently flown 42 flights this year, expect to be in the 50-60 zone by the end of 2014

Reply:Economy on short-haul, premium cabins on long-haul with the occasional flight in economy.

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Free choice of cabins, mix of work/pleasure travel.

Reply: European short-haul

Reply: Paris CDG/ORY, though will move to London in 2015

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply: AF FB Gold

Reply: Currently AF/KLM but looking for alternatives
______
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:53 pm

Is JAL a good OneWorld Alliance for YVR?

(1) What is your home airport?
YVR

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class?
One transpacific flight per year and a domestic flight (LA, etc.)

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ? ( First, Business, Economy etc.)
Economy

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or, class of service?. Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Mostly pleasure related. I can choose my airline.

(5) Which routes do you fly most often (US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Transpacific yearly in economy.
YVR-US once or twice.

(6) Do you have FFP status of any kind of OW or other airline at present? What is it? *A Aeroplan dSilver

(7) What is most important to you in a FFP? (upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
good award redemption rates

(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply: JL, NH, AC, BA, AK

Yes, I know I'm a small fish for the regular flyertalk forum member, but I have heard that JAL Mileage Bank isn't that good. Most of our flights will be either KE, NH, AC or JL. When we fly JAL, I've heard that for Canadians, the BA Avios program is pretty decent for domestic travel. *A is useful for YVR, but redemption costs are sky high on AC, as you have to pay a HIGH fuel surcharge. $650 in taxes YVR-YTO on an $1100 flight!!!
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:00 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class?
One transpacific flight per year and a domestic flight (LA, etc.)

Yes, I know I'm a small fish for the regular flyertalk forum member, but I have heard that JAL Mileage Bank isn't that good. Most of our flights will be either KE, NH, AC or JL. When we fly JAL, I've heard that for Canadians, the BA Avios program is pretty decent for domestic travel. *A is useful for YVR, but redemption costs are sky high on AC, as you have to pay a HIGH fuel surcharge. $650 in taxes YVR-YTO on an $1100 flight!!!
With that little activity, your first and foremost concern should be mileage expiry. JL miles expire three years after earning, too early to have built a meaningful balance wth just one long annual flight.
AAdvantage and BAEC points do not expire with once-a-year activity, allowing you to build up a balance that's actually usable. Also, both programs offer co-branded credit cards and other non-flying activity that earns miles.
In general, BAEC is better for domestic redemptions indeed as redemptions are distance-based and require fewer avios on shorter flights. Seeing short domestic hops can be very expensive, redeeming them for such can provide excellent value.
AAdvantage miles are better for longhaul redemptions as the "fuel" surcharges on BA redemptions are not much lower than those on AC, whereas AA doesn't charge these for most flights on partners other than BA. When crediting JL flights to both BAEC or AAdvantage, deep discount economy has abysmal earning rates in both programs (about the same as in JALs own program, so no advantage going with JL at all) - so carefully check your fare class (AA earning table here, BA earning table here). The solution to this could be AA codeshares on JL flights, which will earn you 100% miles in AAdvantage even for the cheapest fare classes. The price differences vary wildly, though.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by joyu12
I'm looking for an FFP to sign up for that will probably become my primary FFP when i move to London next year. Currently with Flying Blue as my family resides in France and i've moved to Paris for one year.

(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: Priority services, Baggage allowance, lounge access

Reply: Roughly 35-40000 at the moment though i'll probably hit the >50000 miles threshold this year. Currently flown 42 flights this year, expect to be in the 50-60 zone by the end of 2014

Reply:Economy on short-haul, premium cabins on long-haul with the occasional flight in economy.

Reply: Free choice of cabins, mix of work/pleasure travel.

Reply: European short-haul

Reply: Paris CDG/ORY, though will move to London in 2015

Reply: AF FB Gold

Reply: Currently AF/KLM but looking for alternatives
______
BAEC. When flying premium cabin longhauls you'll have no problem achieving Silver status which will grant you lounge access. The BA program awards status on tier points which emphasize cabin class a lot more than traditional mileage-based earning in other programs. Also, if you can upgrade those longhaul economy flights to premium economy (BA "T" discount PE fares can be a real bargain) you might have a shot at making BA Gold, which will give you Fast Track access in LHR, a benefit that's worth a lot to me.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:50 am

I have updated post 554 regarding OW FFP expiration policies with new entrants (TAM, UL, US) and checked for any changes. The information should now be current as of Sept. 2014.

The UL Flysmiles program could be a gem for anyone set to achieve Emerald or sapphire status quickly:
for Platinum status (OW Emerald)
Qualification: 60,000 Tier Miles or 60 segments (minimum of 30,000 Tier miles / 30 segments on UL metal)
Renewal: 55,000 Tier Miles or 55 segments (minimum of 28,000 Tier miles/ 28 segments on UL metal)

for Gold status (OW Sapphire)
Qualification: 40,000 Tier Miles or 40 segments / minimum of 20,000 Tier miles/ 20 segments on UL metal
Renewal: 35,000 Tier Miles or 35 segments / minimum of 18,000 Tier miles/ 18 segments on UL metal

Not quite an oneworld A3 equivalent, but worth mentioning methinks. They definitely offer a fast path to OW status for anyone flying, say, Europe-to-S/SE Asia where their network is largest, and their business fares are pretty competitive. Their earning rates aren't bad as well - most economy fares earn 100%, only the two most discounted fare classes earn 50%. Partner earning varies, though: It's not too shabby on AA, where economy generally earns 75% miles save for the two lowest fare buckets which earn a measly 25%. BA flights tend to earn less, with the notable exception of PE, where even the cheapest "T" fares earn almost as good as business class.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 4:02 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Newbie to OW -- need your help to decide which OW to go for

I am deciding among BA, Cathay, and AA. What's the best option for me given that I live in HK? I am inclined to do Cathay but I hear that the diamond service is not as good as before (low prob for opup, poor redemption, etc).

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
Reply: Comp upgrade; good award redemption rates (within Asia and long distance)

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
Reply: >140,000 miles and >50 flights

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
Reply: Business (Oneworld RTW business tickets) or economy (intra-Asia; most likely not full fare)

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Yes within Oneworld - work

5. Which routes do you fly most often
Reply: HKG --> JFK --> LHR --> HKG (RTW) AND intra-Asia routes

6. What is your home airport?
Reply: HKG

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in a FFP, if any?
Reply: UA 1K banked zero miles (I burned them already)

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
Reply: Cathay Pacific (although I heard its FFP is not as good as before), British Airways, and AA.

Thank you, and I look forward to hearing from you!
Old Sep 24, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by bhomburg
BAEC. When flying premium cabin longhauls you'll have no problem achieving Silver status which will grant you lounge access. The BA program awards status on tier points which emphasize cabin class a lot more than traditional mileage-based earning in other programs. Also, if you can upgrade those longhaul economy flights to premium economy (BA "T" discount PE fares can be a real bargain) you might have a shot at making BA Gold, which will give you Fast Track access in LHR, a benefit that's worth a lot to me.
Cheers! I've gone ahead and signed up for BAEC now.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:25 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by Soros
I am deciding among BA, Cathay, and AA. What's the best option for me given that I live in HK? I am inclined to do Cathay but I hear that the diamond service is not as good as before (low prob for opup, poor redemption, etc).

Reply: Comp upgrade; good award redemption rates (within Asia and long distance)

Reply: Business (Oneworld RTW business tickets) or economy (intra-Asia; most likely not full fare)

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in a FFP, if any?

Reply: Cathay Pacific (although I heard its FFP is not as good as before), British Airways, and AA.

I'm a CX DM and a former AA EXP and I find CX to be a much better program.

If you're expecting comp upgrades with CX, don't expect them to give you one unless the flight is oversold. Your chances of getting them on busy routes such as ICN, BKK, SIN, BOM, etc might by high but don't expect them to give you one just because you're DM.

Since you're based in HK, you really should stick with CX. Since you plan on getting some cheap Y class fares, you will be able to accrue miles with CX. You'll have a tougher time banking it with another airline with cheap tickets on CX.

As far as redeeming miles, you definitely have more options being a DM as opposed to another oneworld program. I've had times where I've been wait listed for the flight to clear using miles and they have cleared 90% of the time. I know with AAdvantage, they won't let you wait list for a particular flight. It's available or it's not.

AA is a great program at the moment, but with this merger that's being phased in, there is no question there will be changes with the AA program. You can't expect the redemption rate to be the current levels they're at now and the earning rates.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Soros

That's really a toss-up. You'll easily make top tier in any program.
With your flying pattern (Europe by way of the US), AA has the eight SWUs you'll get annually upon qualifying for EXP going for them, in case the AA 77W F cabin appeals to you (in a nutshell: top hard product, mediocre soft product). You'll qualify for top-tier EXP very quickly and would be able to put them to good use by upgrading eight TPAC/TATL flights into F (you can upgrade HKG-DFW and JFK-LHR with one SWU when on the same PNR). Those flagship suites have a ton of space and a very comfy bed.
AA miles are very versatile to use and the award chart hasn't devalued as much as other programs - intra-asia redemptions aren't too bad at 15k/22.5k/30k for Y/J/F. They have eliminated Oneworld RTW Explorer awards a few months ago, though.

That said, I'd still go with CX if most of my travel would be on them - every airline treats their own top FF better than those of alliance partners. For example, having AA EXP status hasn't done much for me when traveling on BA or CX so far. Only one op-up in a bunch of BA flights, nothing on CX.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:50 am

Reply: good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access

Reply: 25000-50000 - 16 flights

Reply: Premium economy, Economy

Reply: No, cant choose; travel mainly for work

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
Reply: Europe-Latin America

Reply: Vienna international airport

Reply: Asiana Airlines (star alliance) gold membership, Air france (skyworld) silver

Reply: Air France, Lufthansa, Iberia
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Mi Chal Welcome to FT
Originally Posted by Mi Chal
Reply: good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access
< snip >
Reply: Asiana Airlines (star alliance) gold membership, Air france (skyworld) silver

Reply: Air France, Lufthansa, Iberia
You have Star Alliance & Skyteam covered so you a need OneWorld ffp

BA is good for short haul awards, but has surcharges. You can move avios from BA/IB/avios.com, so IB is also an option.

AA is good for long haul awards and has no surcharges, except on BA flights.

All need 4 flights in the home airline ffp to get status. That is you need 4 AA flights to get AA status or 4 BA flights to get BA status. No idea about IB flights needed for status. High status get you free lounge access.

BA expiry (36 months no activity) is better than AA (18 months no activity). But if you fly eligible IB flights credited to AA or BA expiry will not happen.

There are some BA vs AA threads linked in post 2
If you will never fly AA go for BA.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Mi Chal Welcome to FT

You have Star Alliance & Skyteam covered so you a need OneWorld ffp

BA is good for short haul awards, but has surcharges. You can move avios from BA/IB/avios.com, so IB is also an option.

AA is good for long haul awards and has no surcharges, except on BA flights.

All need 4 flights in the home airline ffp to get status. That is you need 4 AA flights to get AA status or 4 BA flights to get BA status. No idea about IB flights needed for status. High status get you free lounge access.

BA expiry (36 months no activity) is better than AA (18 months no activity). But if you fly eligible IB flights credited to AA or BA expiry will not happen.

There are some BA vs AA threads linked in post 2
If you will never fly AA go for BA.
thanks, probably will not use AA, so i will go for BA
Old Oct 2, 2014, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Mi Chal
thanks, probably will not use AA, so i will go for BA
I would also check out Iberia plus and open an account with them in any case, even if you don't credit flights to it. Seeing you said you'll travel to South America, you'll likely end up on their flights as they have a large presence there.
IB uses the same avios currency as BA does, and you can transfer those between both programs, but need an account that's been open for a few months.
IB's program has far lower surcharges on award bookings compared to BA.

You'll only get lounge access as a mid-tier elite on oneworld ('sapphire' status). On airlines with mileage-based qualification, you typically have to fly 50.000 miles to attain it. BAEC uses a tier point system to determine status qualification which rewards travel in higher cabins. Type your most traveled routings into the calculator and see for yourself if you stand a chance of making Silver - should be possible if you have a few return flights to South America in Premium economy.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: Alaska, Qantas
Reply: good award redemption rates

Reply: 15 - 30k. 3 domestic US, 1-2 international. Planning RTW trip in 2015, debating business if not far more expensive.

Reply: economy

Reply: Yes, can choose; travel mainly for pleasure

Reply: US domestic, SEA-MEL once a year, anticipate SEA-LHR annually in addition/replacement

Reply: SEA

Reply: No real status anywhere. I have
Qantas 65k points
Alaska Airlines 25k points
Chase Ultimate Rewards 5k points, planning to get +70k with Ink Bold cc

Reply: Currently Alaska for domestic flights and Qantas internationally but redemption on Qantas looks terrible, also planning to go to Europe more often now that I have family there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.