Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: A3
(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?

Reply: priority services when flying the Airline(or alliance), extra baggage allowance, free - discounted lounge Access would be awesome. Mile gathering not to restricted by booking classes.

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Reply:
~20 000 miles, ~10-16 flights

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
Reply:
Economy, on very short flight cheapest.

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply:
Pleasure. I can choose.

(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
Reply:
Anywhere in europe. Very often it is either VIE-ZRH or VIE-TGL, VIE-DUS
Airlines: *A: LX, SQ (I try to avoid OS and LH on short flights, too often I had unfriendly FAs on trips like TGL-VIE) mostly because ow doesn't alway fly at times when I Need it.
ow: AB, HQ, BA

(6) What is your home airport?
Reply:
VIE

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply:
at *A A3 vlue at 10750 miles, unable to get the last few miles to get to Gold till Deadline
at ow: topbonus 2900 Award miles

(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
Reply:
No preferences on ow. on *A ist LX and SQ
most common flown AB and LH/OS/LX
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: AC*75K, Hhonors Diamond
Background: Air Canada Elite 75K Member. Looking to switch after recent devaluation. Located in Canada (YOW) with 95% of my flying to the United States from Canada. Trying to decide between US/AA on OW or DL on Skyteam.

Reply: Upgrades and lounge access.

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Reply:
55,000 - 80,000, economy or premium economy

Reply:
Mid tier economy (flex)

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply:
Yes, I travel for work but have discretion on the airline.

Reply:
Most often is YOW to SEA or SFO, usually via YYZ, ORD or IAD. Air Canada and United.

Reply:
YOW

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
Reply:
Air Canada E75K / Star Alliance Gold. 120,000 or so miles currently banked. No other status - looking to status match/challenge.

Reply:
No preference on oneworld

Thanks for the help!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:08 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by rpeatt
Background: Air Canada Elite 75K Member. Looking to switch after recent devaluation. Located in Canada (YOW) with 95% of my flying to the United States from Canada. Trying to decide between US/AA on OW or DL on Skyteam.

Reply: Upgrades and lounge access.

Reply:
55,000 - 80,000, economy or premium economy

Reply:
Mid tier economy (flex)

Reply:
Yes, I travel for work but have discretion on the airline.

Reply:
Most often is YOW to SEA or SFO, usually via YYZ, ORD or IAD. Air Canada and United.

Reply:
YOW

Reply:
Air Canada E75K / Star Alliance Gold. 120,000 or so miles currently banked. No other status - looking to status match/challenge.

Reply:
No preference on oneworld

Thanks for the help!
I'd probably do a Platinum challenge on AA; IMO Delta's redemption picture is miserable. Unfortunately AA/US only serves YOW via CLT or PHL, making for long detours en route to the west coast. However, AA allows credit to Westjet; so routes like YOW-xYYC-SEA would be mileage-earning, using AS for the YYC-SEA segment.

You won't get lounge access with status on AA; nothing on US/Mexico/Canada/Caribbean routes with a very few exceptions.

I wonder if you ought to look at Alaska Airlines instead? You can earn AS miles on AA or DL flights, and their partners list and redemption rates are excellent.

Then just buy an Admiral's Club or Piority Pass membership for the lounge bit and call it good.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:38 am

Which FFP?

I usually fly Star Alliance (Gold with UA for 2014/2015) but my client is flying me Qantas to Australia in Premium Economy and I'm wondering to which FFP I should accrue my miles. Depending on the job I might be going to Australia again.

My home airport is TYO (HND/NRT).

My Qantas Frequent Flyer account is still there but no miles.

My JAL Mileage Bank account has 9,000 stray miles.

My AA account had not been used for the past 10 years!

I believe that with JAL and AA, the yearly countdown for elite status ends on Dec. 31 whereas with Qantas it's a rolling 12 months period. Am I correct?

I am not very likely to fly One World next year but who knows... I want to maximise my chances in case I'm due to fly a OW carrier again.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: AC*75K, Hhonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
I'd probably do a Platinum challenge on AA; IMO Delta's redemption picture is miserable. Unfortunately AA/US only serves YOW via CLT or PHL, making for long detours en route to the west coast. However, AA allows credit to Westjet; so routes like YOW-xYYC-SEA would be mileage-earning, using AS for the YYC-SEA segment.

You won't get lounge access with status on AA; nothing on US/Mexico/Canada/Caribbean routes with a very few exceptions.

I wonder if you ought to look at Alaska Airlines instead? You can earn AS miles on AA or DL flights, and their partners list and redemption rates are excellent.

Then just buy an Admiral's Club or Piority Pass membership for the lounge bit and call it good.
Good advice, thanks for your time. I'll take a look.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aleph08
I usually fly Star Alliance (Gold with UA for 2014/2015) but my client is flying me Qantas to Australia in Premium Economy and I'm wondering to which FFP I should accrue my miles. Depending on the job I might be going to Australia again.

My home airport is TYO (HND/NRT).
My Qantas Frequent Flyer account is still there but no miles.
My JAL Mileage Bank account has 9,000 stray miles.
My AA account had not been used for the past 10 years!

I believe that with JAL and AA, the yearly countdown for elite status ends on Dec. 31 whereas with Qantas it's a rolling 12 months period. Am I correct?

I am not very likely to fly One World next year but who knows... I want to maximise my chances in case I'm due to fly a OW carrier again.
Compared to AA QF is a very poor ffp. But depends on you objectives. It was relatively easy to get QF status, but not any more. QF earning on many partners has been reduced a lot recently. QF status is based on the month you join

AA plat challenge may work for you. Refer to links inpost 1 here

Very little about the JAL ffp posted on the forum.

Alaska is another that suits some people, due to the many airline partners
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...-overview.aspx
Old Nov 4, 2014, 5:18 pm

Thank you very much Mwenenzi, much appreciated. Very interesting info.
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Compared to AA QF is a very poor ffp. But depends on you objectives. It was relatively easy to get QF status, but not any more. QF earning on many partners has been reduced a lot recently. QF status is based on the month you join

AA plat challenge may work for you. Refer to links inpost 1 here

Very little about the JAL ffp posted on the forum.

Alaska is another that suits some people, due to the many airline partners
http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...-overview.aspx
Old Nov 8, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, Iberia Platinum, Lufthansa Senator, TAP Gold, SPG Platinum, Priority Club Gold Ambassador
Which One World Airline to use for my miles

Hi there,

I'm a Frequent Flyer based in Brazil. historically I've flown a lot with BA and IB and still have 100k + Avios on each of them. I'm also a Red Plus (Emerald) on TAM. Now TAM, the Brazilian company joined One World. This is the airline I fly most by far, still i think their Tam Fidelidade sucks. I fly business internationally at least a couple of times a year, usually one to the US and another to Europe. then I also fly at least once a year intercontinenta on vacation. ???Which Program should I elect??? - I want to concentrate all my One World miles in one program, I usually fly between 100k and 200k miles a year depending on the year. Even AA is an option! Thanks al for the insights!
Old Nov 8, 2014, 10:33 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Originally Posted by Googles
Hi there,

I'm a Frequent Flyer based in Brazil. historically I've flown a lot with BA and IB and still have 100k + Avios on each of them. I'm also a Red Plus (Emerald) on TAM. Now TAM, the Brazilian company joined One World. This is the airline I fly most by far, still i think their Tam Fidelidade sucks. I fly business internationally at least a couple of times a year, usually one to the US and another to Europe. then I also fly at least once a year intercontinenta on vacation. ???Which Program should I elect??? - I want to concentrate all my One World miles in one program, I usually fly between 100k and 200k miles a year depending on the year. Even AA is an option! Thanks al for the insights!
Welcome to FT!

I'm moving your post to an existing "sticky" thread covering Oneworld FFP options.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Welcome to FT googles.

Couple of questions.
Are USA visas an issue? What is it about TAM's program you don't like? Do you want lounges/upgrades/awards or something else (or all of the above)? Are the four company marketed flights a problem with AA/IB/BA?

You fly enough to qualify in almost any program so it really is a question of which matches your objectives the best.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Nov 13, 2014, 4:30 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Hi, Here is a summarized form - for a quite specific question

What is most important to you in a FFP?
Reply: I would put first lounge access, and second the ability to redeem miles

How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
Reply:
I usually fly around 50-70k, mostly in discounted eco, but also with the occasional business flight.

I wouldn't normally think about joining a oneworld scheme, since I am already a "good" customer of the two other alliances, but I have two upcoming business flights on BA (europe-japan and back) and on MH (BKK-KUL-PVG, discounted J), so I'd be interested in seeing where I can put the points.

I realize I might not get sapphire with those 6 legs, but I understand BA, for example, could get me rather close, and I would have 10/11 months left in my membership year to attain Silver. My question is mostly "is BA the best option ? or is there another scheme I should consider ?"

Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
Reply:
Mostly europe to latin america and europe to asia, plus internal european flighs

Reply:
Within OW, IB, BA and LA mainly.

Thank you very much !
Old Nov 13, 2014, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HasteFlier
..What is most important to you in a FFP?....Reply: I would put first lounge access, and second the ability to redeem miles...
For lounge access you need OW sapphire (BA Silver) http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/my-onewo...ub-silver#tier
As you are in EU BA is as good as any. AA is the other default choice, but AA status will not get you AA domestic lounge access. Look at the links in post 2
However there are posts that Air Berlin will/can do a status match. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airbe...tch-specs.html
Note AA, BA & QF require 4 off AA/BA/QF flights respectively before status. No idea if AB have this 4 segment requirement
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum

Redemptions in business or first class. Would never do an economy redemption, I'd just buy a cash economy ticket. But if I can get a high status level on the back of my RTW flights for a couple of years that would also be good.

See my RTW at bottom of post. In normal years, I do 2 - 3 Europe-Asia or Europe-Australia trips a year.

PEY or Y.

Yes to both. Work trips >5 hrs are in J.

BA, CX

LHR. HKG and SYD is also useful.

BA Bronze; generate about 100,000 BA points/year.
QF no-status but around 300,000 points.
Star Alliance Gold.

Reply:
Economy: CX; also QF and BA preferred but flown long haul less often
Business: Anybody with a flat seat.

===

Well as noted above I have lowly status with BA and no status but 300,000 points with QF.

The 'Puff family comprising of Me, Mrs Puff, Mini Puff (4yrs), Micro Puff (1 year and travelling as a lap infant) are doing this RTW itinerary from January to July next year as a DONE6 One World Explorer RTW business class:

JNB-QF-SYD
SYD-JL-NRT
NRT-UL-CMB
CMB-CX-HKG
HKG-KA-RGN
RGN-KA-HKG
HKG-AA-LAX (operated by CX)
LAX-AA-ORD
ORD-AA-CUN
CUN-AA-JFK
JFK-AA-BDA
BDA-AA-MIA
MIA-AA-SCL
SCL-LA-GIG
GIG-BA-LHR
LHR-BA-EBB

We will also be doing in economy:
SYD-MEL-SYD
SCL-IPE-SCL

I need to pick a FF program for these flights. Note the lack of BA metal which makes me reluctant to use BA with the minimum 4 (?) flight segments to get increased BA status. There are 3 x QF segments. But I can just take another QF flight somewhere to make up 4 x segments which is required to get status on QF.

My QF anniversary is between the first JNB-SYD flight and the second SYD-NRT flight. Mrs Puff and Mini Puff are also QFFF members but I can't find their login details to work out when their anniversary is? I may be able to join them up with a new account as they have both changed passport numbers since changing the first time?

So question is: what is the best FF program for me? Is it QF or is there some other option I should consider such as AA? I've seen AA platinum challenge mentioned but have no idea what that is.

Last edited by creampuff; Nov 14, 2014 at 3:50 pm
Old Nov 14, 2014, 4:37 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Originally Posted by creampuff
So question is: what is the best FF program for me? Is it QF or is there some other option I should consider such as AA? I've seen AA platinum challenge mentioned but have no idea what that is.
One attains AA status by accumulating either elite-qualifying miles (EQM), elite-qualifying points (EQP) or elite-qualifying segments (EQS). I'll ignore the segments for now.

AA tiers of Gold (Oneworld Ruby) requires 25K EQM or EQP, Platinum (OW Sapphire) goes for 50K EQM/P, and Executive Platinum (OW Emerald) requires 100K EQM/P.

Most discount economy seats earn 1 EQM per mile but 0.5 EQP, some Y fare buckets earn 1/1, and full fare Y and all premium cabins including BA/QF premium economy earn 1/1.5. (In other words, a 1000 mile segment in PE/J/F will earn 1000 EQM but 1500 EQP.)

The challenges require you to accumulate 5000 EQP in 3 months for Gold/Ruby, or 10,000 EQP in three months for Plat/Sapphire. There isn't an EXP challenge (okay, once in a blue moon for very heavy hitters, but very rare.) Points must be earned on AA, BA, IB, JL, or QF metal (note, not CX, LA, or other Oneworld partners.) You also have to sign up for the challenge, $200 at this time of year. Once you meet the challenge, the status is granted until the end of February the year following, unless you start and end the challenge after July, in which case the status lasts until the second February. (I.e., start now, your status is good until February 2016.) AA uses a calendar year, not the anniversary of your qualifying, so to renew your status for 2016-2017 you'd have to fly/earn the appropriate number of points during calendar 2015.

Now, with your RTW itinerary, you'd hit 10,000 EQP on your first flight. Then, as Platinum, you'd receive a 100% redeemable mileage bonus on all AA, BA, QF, IB, LA, CX and most other Oneworld members' flights thereafter (including JNB-SYD, the flight on which you'd cross 10K EQP.)

Also with your RTW itinerary, a quick back-of-the-envelope calculation seems to suggest you'd come away with roughly 114,000 spendable AA miles at the end of the RTW, counting cabin bonuses (25% in J, 50% in F.) AA also requires 4 AA-numbered segments for renewal, which it sounds like you'd have anyway. Plus, depending on what month(s) the travel takes place, it looks very likely you'd also requalify for a second Plat year after the "challenge" year is done.

(I'm using old calculations that I committed to memory. With the US merger, I believe AA has changed some earning and qualification rules, so by all means visit the AA board before committing to this course.)

But it seems clear to me that AA might be a good option for you. Certainly I find its redemption options to be better than other Oneworld carriers - cheaper mileage requirements, fewer fuel fines... but of course things can change.

But with your big group traveling on a DONE6, it certainly sounds like it's a route worth investigating, and fast.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by creampuff

Redemptions in business or first class. Would never do an economy redemption, I'd just buy a cash economy ticket. But if I can get a high status level on the back of my RTW flights for a couple of years that would also be good.
< snip >
Well as noted above I have lowly status with BA and no status but 300,000 points with QF.

The 'Puff family comprising of Me, Mrs Puff, Mini Puff (4yrs), Micro Puff (1 year and travelling as a lap infant) are doing this RTW itinerary from January to July next year as a DONE6 One World Explorer RTW business class:
< snip >
The best ffp for you, as a UK resident, is definitely not QF. AA or BA would be a lot better. See post 330 QF would be the worst for you IMHO

AA, BA & QF all have the 4 segment rule. For AA & QF this includes codeshares. Unsure about BA codeshares. If you do not have 4 AA flights on the DONE you can change a flight to an AA codeshare, if offered. AA will not charge a fee for this. QF many charge a fee.

For any QF flights on QF aircraft you can burn some points on C to F upgrade, even if another airlines freq flyer number in the reservation. You can use you QF points for family. You can be your "brother" as QF do not have a "self" option. The lap child may complicate an upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.