Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2014, 3:59 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Welcome to FT nqtri.

What fare class is your Cathay ticket? Alas within OneWorld partners, the cheaper economy fares often have limited (or no) places in which to place them.

Things are much more interesting if you can fly premium Y long haul.

Happy wandering.

Fred
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:27 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Hi all,
I don't usually fly OW but I have one fligth and hoping to get OW status with this flight.
The flight is on IB I class TLV-MAD-EZE GRU-MAD-TLV

If I'm not wrong I can get on BA 580 Tier points which is almost silver and ow Sapphire.

or, on IB 2050 elite points, almost gold.

I don't care about redemtion, only status.

Which do you recommend?

Thanks
Old Jul 28, 2014, 5:49 am

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Upgrades, lounges
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
15000 miles - 15-20 segments
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
cheapest when it's holiday, or standard fare when it's business trip
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Yes, 4-8 segments for holiday flights, 6-12 segments for work
(5) Which routes do you fly most often?
Intra European, Moscow and SVX - Europe. 1 return flight from Moscow to SEA/USA/Latin America per year.
(6) What is your home airport?
SVX, or all Moscow airports
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
5000 avios in BA, 11500 miles in S7 Priority (not status, only award miles).
(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
Finnair from SVX,
S7 for domestiс flights
Qatar for flights to SEA
In fact there are only two airlines which flight from my home airport (SVX) - Finnair and S7
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:09 pm

Which One World Program?

Deleted

Last edited by dumalam; Aug 11, 2014 at 11:43 am
Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:51 pm

Hi all,

I currently feel like I have too many FF programs and am looking to consolidate into the best program for my needs. I'm currently taking a year off to travel, so I want to try and use this time to attain points and status before needing to rejoin the real world at the end of next year!

- upgrades
- extra baggage
- good redemption rates
- lounge access

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
- normally once a year
- but this year it's been close to 15 flights, 50,000 miles

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
- cheapest or business on sale

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
- I choose the flights
- pleasure

(5) Which routes do you fly most often
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
- MEL-HKG

(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
- MEL

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
- too many!
QF: silver, 60,000
AA: none, 85,000 (considering platinum challenge for bonus points)
AS: none, 56,000
CX Asia miles: none, 32,000
A3: blue, 11,000

(8) Preferred Airlines
Reply:Any

I am reporting from the introduction forum as my main concern is which OW airline should I stick with! In regards to status, should I chase qantas gold or simply do the AA challenge to obtain OW sapphire and receive bonus points? I think I can reach both QF gold and AA platinum this year to be valid til next year but I'm not sure it's the right move. There's also the problem of flying CX a lot and not earning many points on AA!

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Kerry
Old Aug 9, 2014, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kezt17
I currently feel like I have too many FF programs and am looking to consolidate into the best program for my needs.
Having miles/points with OneWorld Airlines AA, QF & CX and also AS who has all 3 as partners is crazy (being diplomatic). Be careful about expiry. Just start burning miles/points.

To many (including me) 2 QF points has less value than 1 AA mile. (QF has large co pay fees on awards: see post 330 above).

CX has many economy fares that are nil or low earning in CX and other OneWorld airline ffp's (such is life!!) [but look at AS]

For AA & QF status you need to fly 4 segments with AA / QF respectively

For upgrades read post 1. I do not like your chances. (QF is a lottery) Which airline do most often fly MEL-HKG?

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Aug 9, 2014 at 2:16 am Reason: added post 330 link
Old Aug 9, 2014, 7:43 am

I generally fly MEL-HKG on discount economy with QF or CX. I agree that AA miles are worth more than QF but unfortunately AA miles are also harder for me to earn when not flying! I do need to start burning points but just want to know if I should buy revenue tickets now for status or just burn and forget about status altogether. I'm slowly sifting through AA vs AS vs QF....
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: LANPASS
Cool One World

Hi, deciding between LANPASS, my current program, or AA Advantage. I'm thinking of switching because I live in the US and fly a lot in AA, and can potentially earn miles with the AA-Citi credit card. But I fly to Chile via LAN at least once a year.

Good award redemption rates
Upgrades on travel
Overall better flight experience

>50000 miles, 15-20 flights. Mostly Premium Economy or Economy, Business is allowed in my job but I have a fixed budget every year.

Not necessarily cheapest, e.g. Premium Economy (or Business from time to time).

I can choose. I fly mostly for work, but I also travel with my family to Chile at least once a year.

Domestic US (OHR, LAX, etc), JFK-SCL, Europe (London, Zurich, etc).

JFK (also LGA).

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
LAN Premium (Ruby). Might obtain Sapphire this year.

AA, LAN, BA.

Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

nychile1 welcome to FT

Originally Posted by nychile1
Hi, deciding between LANPASS, my current program, or AA Advantage. I'm thinking of switching because I live in the US and fly a lot in AA, and can potentially earn miles with the AA-Citi credit card. But I fly to Chile via LAN at least once a year.
AA for sure. You will earn AA miles on LAN flights. Start burning LAN miles and be careful about LAN expiry
http://www.hotels-and-travel.de/ffp/...ld/ow_ruby.htm

Look at the AA challenge for faster status. If you are flying long haul, with the occasional some business class, should not be a problem. LAN is not eligible, but AA codeshares on LAN aircraft are.
http://flyerguide.com/index.php/Challenge_%28AA%29
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-platinum.html
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:39 am

Retrospective flight recognition for new FFP joiner

Hello, apologies in advance if this question has been answered elsewhere on the forum. I have only just started taking the time to investigate joining FFPs. Having had a look around, it seems like a number of FFPs will honour flights taken with the relevant airline within up to 12 months prior to joining. A notable exception appears to be American. Does anyone happen to know whether any other Oneworld airlines will honour flights taken on other oneworld (i.e. American) so I can get recognition upon joining of a recent LHR-TVC return journey I took a couple of weeks ago? I have a similar question about a number of Star Alliance long haul flights I've taken in the last year which I will post in the Star Alliance forum. My responses to the standard intro questions are below.

Many thanks in advance.

Reply: Upgrades on travel, good award redemption rates
Reply: Approx 30,000 miles per year. 10-20 flights per year.
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply: Cheapest
Reply: Mainly pleasure, occasionally work.
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: Pan-European mainly, LHR-BNE once a year. LHR to various US cities once a year.
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply: LHR
(AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: Virgin Australia - small number of points which may have now lapsed.

British Airways
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:47 am

I should add that I will be flying LHR -BNE return in a couple of weeks most likely with either Malaysian or Singapore (re my post in the Star Alliance thread). Many thanks
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Newbie to alliance - which program to choose if BOS->Asia

Hi all:

Sorry if there is a thread dedicated for questions like this. Feel free to move my message there if need be.

Essentially, I have a trip that would take me to London, then Saint-Peterburg (Russia) and coming back from Moscow in September. I am a frequent traveler (1K on United), so my first inclination was to go for *A. However, the flights on BA are much more convenient time wise, and for a lesser price than LH, UA or all others I can purchase premium economy, which I assume is worth something.

This beg the question... if I am starting a new account on one of the OneWorld members, which one should I choose? Obviously BA comes to mind, but here is my flying pattern:

1- Mostly going to India, China, Japan and Korea
2- Also visiting SIN and MOW annually, maybe once or twice.
3- Based out of BOS, usually also take flights intra-Asia

Right now, I am not looking at issuing a challenge to get status elsewhere (I have 3 vouchers to upgrade to Business on United, and I intend to use them all this year). But I am considering a secondary flight carrier for some needs. JAL comes to mind, but then, when I kayak, the only business flights I can convince management to endorse - sometimes! - seems to be Finnish.

So, should I go BA? JAL? Finnish? Or, Cathay? I am pretty sure I don't want to do American since I am not trying to switch at this point, but then who knows... certainly not me?

One area of concern would be minimal fly requirements on the "home airline" obviously (I may not fly BA at all next year, but JAL is more likely).

Anyway... any advice you can provide would be good!
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Would help to know which cabin, and whether you are buying flexible or cheapest available fares.

The American programs are generally more rewarding for earn/burn ratios, and also you have the ability to get credit card points etc.
The only downside with AA is lack of access on AA domestic itineraries (albeit this may not be an issue for you).

BA can be good for some routes in premium cabins, thanks to the tier point methodology.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Asiana Club Dmnd (*G), AA plat, Alitalia FA, SPG Plat, Accor Plat, HGP Dmnd, HH Dmnd
1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Upgrades, Premium Long-haul Awards, Lounges

75000ish 40-50 segments, economy

Mainly flex fares intra-Europe, discount long-haul

Yes for airlines, economy only. Travel for work 75% of miles, please 25%

Intra European ex BRU or LHR intra europe, 2-3 times transatlantic, 2-3 times europe to Asia. Again - EX BRU/CDG/LHR/AMS (don't mind which)

BRU

None

No preference, BA most common

I have approximately 30,000 miles of OW travel guaranteed in 2015 (most on BA). I normally fly *Alliance but am willing to make the switch. My guess is that although I am likely to fly more on BA, that AA is a better bet if I'm willing to MR around 25,000 miles towards the end of the year.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:02 am

Programs: BA - Silver
1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Upgrades, Lounge Access.

25-50,000 per year. <25 flights.

Mostly economy / premium economy.

I have options of airlines, economy mostly, occasional business. 75% work-based flights, 25% pleasure.

Mostly European, occasional trip to Asia/US/Aus.

London LHR / LGW.

BAEC Bronze with 50k+ avios, 260TP.
Asia Miles with 14,000 miles.

BA generally preferred at work, but no real preference.

Thanks in advance all.

Last edited by Rousseau; Aug 25, 2014 at 12:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.