Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2014, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by bhomburg
This trip appears to be booked in heavily discounted economy. "N" fares are among the lowest buckets around and earn nothing or very little in programs other than the "home" program of the operating airline.

As you state that you don't fly regularly and there might even be years without flight activity at all, primary concern should be making sure any points do not expire. So what you need is a program with a generous expiration policy. That rules out all programs with a fixed expiration policy and leaves AA, BA and QF who let points expire based on activity - AA and QF require activity once every 18 months, BA once every 36 months.
Next, the program of choice should let you earn points on NZ domestic flights as you state that's what you fly most often, and - if possible - a way to earn points with non-flying activity to keep the balance from expiring and contribute to your total earnings.

My advice would be to go with QFF - even though there's far more attractive programs out there in oneworld, it's the only program delivering on the last two requirements.
First, you can earn QF points on domestic Jetstar flights. QFF is the only OW program that lets you earn on JQ.
QFF is also the only OW program that offers a co-branded points-earning rewards credit card in New Zealand. Co-branded credit cards are the best source of points for non-frequent flyers, plus by using it you prevent your points from expiring even if not flying for extended periods of time.
Many thanks for your detailed and thoughtful reply. I will take your advice about QFF and take a credit card in time to prevent any expiry.

Much appreciated.
Old May 21, 2014, 12:52 am

...snip...

My advice would be to go with QFF - even though there's far more attractive programs out there in oneworld, it's the only program delivering on the last two requirements.
First, you can earn QF points on domestic Jetstar flights. QFF is the only OW program that lets you earn on JQ.
QFF is also the only OW program that offers a co-branded points-earning rewards credit card in New Zealand. Co-branded credit cards are the best source of points for non-frequent flyers, plus by using it you prevent your points from expiring even if not flying for extended periods of time.
Thanks for your detailed and thoughtful reply. I'll take your advice.

Chasio

PS I did post a similar reply about a day ago, but for some reason I got a message about moderator approval and it has not yet appeared here. So I am trying again!
Old May 23, 2014, 5:09 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I need advice too on which airline programme to use. I have Aeroplan with Air Canada and Silver status with Qatar Airways and Classic with Sri Lankan now.
Now Sri Lankan and Qatar are one world and what are the experts advice here for me to choose which one? I have more miles on QR than UL and should I transfer the UL miles to QR?
Or the reverse or should I keep them separately. The reason why I fly AC is that I have to fly a domestic sector in AC to connect to the International flights. I take about 4 to 5 International long haul flights per year from Canada and fly either QR from YUL or AC to Europe and then connect to either UL or QR.
Old May 23, 2014, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dav662
I need advice too on which airline programme to use. I have Aeroplan with Air Canada and Silver status with Qatar Airways and Classic with Sri Lankan now.
Now Sri Lankan and Qatar are one world and what are the experts advice here for me to choose which one? I have more miles on QR than UL and should I transfer the UL miles to QR?
Or the reverse or should I keep them separately. The reason why I fly AC is that I have to fly a domestic sector in AC to connect to the International flights. I take about 4 to 5 International long haul flights per year from Canada and fly either QR from YUL or AC to Europe and then connect to either UL or QR.
dav662 Welcome to OW

You cannot, in practical terms, transfer miles between FFP's. Have a look at the questions in post 1. What are your objectives with a FFP? If you live in North America AA may be best for you. Be very careful about miles expiry.
Old May 26, 2014, 10:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Saw this in my May AAdvantage summary:

First time I've ever seen a reference to this rule outside of the fine print in the AAdvantage T&Cs. Might well be a hint to AA choosing to finally enforcing their long-standing four-segment-minimum rule for status attainment.
That would be a pretty major change of the OW FFP landscape and bad news for all members with AA status who don't fly AA to the US at least once a year.
A lot of discussion in the AA fora about this, and it may be quite possible the "new AA" will begin enforcing this next year (when we assume the integration of AAdvantage and US Dividend Miles FFPs will occur). Nope, it is fully being enforced this year (2014). Those who have technically earned sufficient Elite-Qualifying Miles or Points to have earned status are being denied same until they fullfill four segments on AA or US marketed or marketed and operated flights. (I have been incommunicado for nearly a month, so I am obviously behind on what has been happening.)

It has been a "rule" for many years; it has not heretofore been enforced. It does include codeshares. It will undoubtedly impact non-US members if so.

Off topic, my hat's off to Mwenenzi for this thread and the attention paid it. Asante sana, mwalimu!

Last edited by JDiver; May 27, 2014 at 7:31 pm Reason: add / update
Old May 26, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by JDiver
A lot of discussion in the AA fora about this, and it may be quite possible the "new AA" will begin enforcing this next year (when we assume the integration of AAdvantage and US Dividend Miles FFPs will occur).
It has been a "rule" for many years; it has not heretofore been enforced. When it does, it is likely to include codeshares. It will undoubtedly impact non-US members if so.
Off topic, my hat's off to Mwenenzi for this thread and the attention paid it. Asante sana, mwalimu!
There have been reports that it is being enforced this year (2014) when a member has found that the elite level has not been granted, even though the miles/points have been earned (without 4 AA flights)

While it has been assumed that the program is still living, nothing has been stated definitely on how/if "life-time" status has been affected by this.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old May 26, 2014, 7:00 pm

Smile

Hi guys,

Which oneworld program is the best to get free gifts with small mileage (less than 10000 avios)?

I know that on miles&more (star alliance) we could get items likes pillows for the couch, and other items of similar value. I'm looking for that because last december I had 4300 avios on Iberia that expired and now back to zero I can choose a new program.
I use low cost whenever possible but I will use Qatar airways next month for a trip that should be around 6000 miles each way.

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
1st Miles not expiring. 2nd Possibility to spend miles on stuff like watches, usb pens, concert tickets.
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
<15000 - <5 flights - about 5000 miles per 2 years

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
The cheapest
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Mix of Business and Pleasure

(5) Which routes do you fly most often?
Europe domestic
(6) What is your home airport?
Portela Lisbon (Portugal)

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
No status. I have about 4000 on start alliance and 800 on skyteam. Banked???
(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
TAP, Brussels, KLM, Alitalia

Thanks in advance
Old May 27, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by ARPcPro
Hi guys,

Which oneworld program is the best to get free gifts with small mileage (less than 10000 avios)?

I know that on miles&more (star alliance) we could get items likes pillows for the couch, and other items of similar value. I'm looking for that because last december I had 4300 avios on Iberia that expired and now back to zero I can choose a new program.
I use low cost whenever possible but I will use Qatar airways next month for a trip that should be around 6000 miles each way.

1st Miles not expiring. 2nd Possibility to spend miles on stuff like watches, usb pens, concert tickets.
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
<15000 - <5 flights - about 5000 miles per 2 years

The cheapest
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Mix of Business and Pleasure

Europe domestic
Portela Lisbon (Portugal)

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
No status. I have about 4000 on start alliance and 800 on skyteam. Banked???
TAP, Brussels, KLM, Alitalia

Thanks in advance
Free gifts? None that I know of. And M&M doing this and partnering with payback was a very smart move on their part that made people overlook the fact that it's almost worthless as a FFP for non-business travellers now as it evolved into a frequent-spending rewards program for those who fly premium cabins or full fare tickets from the frequent flyer rewards program it once was until devaluations started ten years ago.
To answer your question: Qatar's Privilege Club Qmiles can be used as a currency in the DOH duty Free shop: http://www.qatarairways.com/Privileg...th+Qmiles.page.
Cheapest economy fares on Qatar Airways don't earn much or even nothing in most other oneworld programs. They earn 0.25 Avios per mile in IB plus, and zero in BAEC...Even QRs own program gives you only .25 or .50 Qmiles per mile for the most prevalent economy fares (chart here)...

The game has gotten tougher for infrequent low-fare travelers. The only way to build and maintain a meaningful miles/points balance (and keep them from expiring!) would be with non-flying activity. Easiest way to do this is with credit card spend on either airline co-branded cards or with rewards cards that let you transfer their rewards scheme points into airline miles. Also, check out retail partners that let you earn points through shopping.
So my recommendation would be to stay with IB plus (they do have the most generous expiration policy out there, together with BA), and get an Amex card that earns Membership Rewards points. These can easily be transferred into Avios, sometimes even with generous bonus payouts (they had a 50% bonus at the end of last year, for example)

Originally Posted by JDiver
A lot of discussion in the AA fora about this, and it may be quite possible the "new AA" will begin enforcing this next year (when we assume the integration of AAdvantage and US Dividend Miles FFPs will occur).

It has been a "rule" for many years; it has not heretofore been enforced. When it does, it is likely to include codeshares. It will undoubtedly impact non-US members if so.
It already is enforced, and it's been confirmed that codeshare flights count towards those minimum segments.
Nonetheless, the days of universally recommending AAdvantage as the OW program of choice even for non-North-America-based flyers seem to be over for at least for all who seek OW status and don't fly to the US.
Old May 27, 2014, 8:43 am

Thank you. If there is no FFP that allows me to exchange avios for small worthless gifts I will keep Iberia Plus. I'm expecting that this trip will be the only one where I will pass thru Doha duty free shop.
The credit cards are a good way to maintain avios but the one that have miles reward usually have a higher anual fee. I had amex, it was expensive, and the one from miles&more credit card also has an expensive fee.
Old May 30, 2014, 7:20 am

Good afternoon,

Could you help finding the best FFP to sign up in Oneworld. I know it might be difficult as I fly only on economy, but your help will be very precious for me because there are a lot of different systems and rules under tne Oneworld scheme (4 trajects rule, different manner of calculating tier miles, etc). My main goal is basically to achieve as quickly as possible one of the sapphire status to benefit to the lounge access and services like priority check-in, priority boarding, etc.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
Priority services and lounge access

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
Between 50000 and 75000 and between 25 and 35 flights.

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
Economy

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
I am able to choose my airline but not my class of service. I travel for work.

5. Which routes do you fly most often
It is very balanced between intra-Europe, Europe to Africa, Europe to Asia and Europe to South America.

6. What is your home airport?
CDG and ORY

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in a FFP, if any?
A3 Gold. I don’t have any miles banked in another FFP.

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
I don’t have one.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Old May 30, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
The only oneworld airline with a comprehensive intra-European network and significant presence in PAR that will take you to all the destinations you mentioned is BA, so if you decide to go with oneworld you'll likely end up on their flights to LON pretty often.
Checking statusmatcher.com for leveraging your current A3 status it appears that airberlin may either match your A3 status outright or (more likely) grant you their gold (OW Sapphire) status combined with a challenge. Topbonus is a decent program, but beware of low earn rates for the cheapest fare classes on many OW partners, including BA. (find the chart here).

Even when flying cheapest economy fares, your stated amount of travel should give you enough tier points to achieve silver status in BAEC. Unfortunately, since you appear to not travel to North America, AA is not an option for you as they now require you to fly four aa-coded segments per year. And all other programs except Iberia's have low earn rates on the most discount economy BA fare classes, which you most probably end up booking.
So I'd go with BA. The tier points used to measure your status qualification is a bit more complicated than the mileage-based systems in place at most other airlines. I'd suggest reading the BA forum and browsing through the sticky introduction thread for clarity....

To accelerate achieving status, BAEC has one thing going for them: Even with cheap cash upgrades done online or at checkin (something I totally would do on any long-haul flight that has their new WT+ premium economy cabin .Well worth the small-in-comparison fee), you are credited tier points for cabin class flown - which will get you to silver status roughly two-and-a-half times faster than it would take with discount economy.
Example: A return flight from Paris to Singapore via London will net you 100 tier points in discount economy. You'd need six flights to achieve silver status at 600 TP. Upgrading the longhaul segment to Premium economy for about £350 one way will net you 220 tier points - you'll have silver status after just three such flights.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 5:53 am

Question N00B

Hi Everyone,

I am very close to LTG with QANTAS and am looking at potentially moving to another FF program after this due to the changes in earn rates, wonder what your opinions are. I would like to maintain OW sapphire

Reply: Free Lounge Access, Award Redemption, Upgrades
Reply: >100000 miles, Premium Economy/Business - 25-50 flights
Reply:Premium Economy, Business
Reply: Can choose airline (usually Q or BA), class dictated by policy
Reply: SYD-SIN 8 x PA, SYD-TKO 4 x PA, SYD-MIA 1-2 x PA
Reply: SYD
Reply: QF Platinum
Reply: QANTAS, BA, AA

Thank you in advance
Old Jun 3, 2014, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

FlyingJordo Welcome to FT - Aust branch

Originally Posted by FlyingJordo
I am very close to LTG with QANTAS and am looking at potentially moving to another FF program after this due to the changes in earn rates, wonder what your opinions are. I would like to maintain OW sapphire

Reply: Free Lounge Access, Award Redemption, Upgrades
< snip >
Have a look here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Note that with AA you must fly 4 segments before status is given (a recent policy change)
AA (and the AA plat challenge) would be good for you. With QF LTG you have lounge access (but your life or QF club life??).

Also worth reading
- post 2 in this thread about upgrade policies
- post 330 in this thread about AA/QF miles/points for awards

There are also several threads on AFF about this topic

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 3, 2014 at 6:23 am
Old Jun 13, 2014, 6:55 am

Best choice for flights mostly within Asia

Any help determining which program is beneficial for me is appreciated!

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
(e.g., upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access)
Reply: Air miles (to reduce flights fares), Baggage allowance, upgrades, in that order

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
(e.g., <25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles and <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: Probably around 20 flights a year, Normally around 1 return flight from UK to Jakarta and the rest hopping around SE Asia (Jakarta, to Bali to Dingapore, to Bangkok, to Jakarta... etc)

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
(e.g., first, business, premium economy, economy)
Reply: Economy or Premium Economy

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Reply: Yes, Yes, work and pleasure

5. Which routes do you fly most often
(e.g., U.S. domestic, transatlantic, intra-Asia)
Reply: Short haul in SE Asia

6. What is your home airport?
(e.g., SFO, LHR, HKG)
Reply: I guess.... LHR? Or Jakarta is the one I use most frequently. That might change to Bangkok next year if Thailand becomes home

7. Do you have status in any FFP (frequent flier program)? What is it? How miles do you have banked in a FFP, if any?
(e.g., AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro)
Reply: Nope

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
Reply: I like Etihad and Emirates, Garuda are good for local flights. Wasn't a fan of KLM but appreciate they are cheap. Not a huge fan of Air Asia. I'd always rather pay aa bit more for better service and less chances of crashing into the sea while approaching Bali airport!
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:47 am

Programs: Le Club Accor: Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott/SPG: Gold, AMEX Platinum
Moving to UK

Hey guys, I've never flown with OW before but I have a few flights booked on AA and MH this year and want to know what the best option was to credit points to. I'm anticipating lots of transatlantic flights in the coming years since I'm moving from US to UK and will be going back to visit family a couple times each year in the US. I'm currently looking at BA or AA. Does anyone have any advice or better options that I'm not looking at? The airports I'd be flying into in the US often would be MSY and LAX.

upgrades on travel and good award redemption rates

25000-50000 miles in economy unless using miles to upgrade. 25-50 Sectors

Economy

Yes, travel for Pleasure

Trans-Atlantic

Will be LHR and GLA

Silver status with Emirates, but no status with any OW airlines

KLM and Emirates is who I usually fly with. But trying to figure out a good OW member to credit upcoming points to.

I've attached an image of most of my flights I've got scheduled for the remainder of the year below.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.