Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Considering AAdvantage after QF / Qantas devaluation (2014 - consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFF, AA

G'day all - long time lurker, first time poster etc. etc.

I'm hoping some of the more experienced FFlyers can confirm my thoughts on this particular issue:

Later in the year, I'll be starting a regular monthly trip to and from Nigeria, from Perth (that's right, a 28/28 FIFO job from Perth to Nigeria! ); basically, twelve trips a year (PER-DOH-LOS one month, LOS-DOH-PER the next). Work is paying, and it looks like I'll be flying Qatar Airways business class the whole way.

I've run some numbers, and it seems that with Emerald OW status I'll make ~2.67 times more miles with AAdvantage than with QFF - does that seem about right to you guys?

Can anyone see a compelling reason I might be missing as to why I should apply these flights to/from Nigeria to QFF, rather than AA?

Cheers,

seboya
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:44 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
http://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-slash...n=home-flipper
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:35 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Definitely accrue to AA, unless QF status matters to you and you foresee yourself needing it for some reason. (Domestic flying?)
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As AAdvantage is still operating as a distinct programme, this question is being moved over to the pre-merger American Airlines forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seboya
I've run some numbers, and it seems that with Emerald OW status I'll make ~2.67 times more miles with AAdvantage than with QFF - does that seem about right to you guys?
Yes. And AA awards are 50% ~ 75% of QF and no cash surcharges, unless on BA flights. Look at post 330 here
Your AA vs QF has been asked before as links in post 2 of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html

Originally Posted by Joshua
Definitely accrue to AA, unless QF status matters to you and you foresee yourself needing it for some reason. (Domestic flying?)
Other than lounge access for USA domestic flights AA status is not a lot different. But there are differences in status benefits.

For QF status you need 4 QF flights
For AA status you need 4 AA flights, but AA currently do not enforce this
Due to the US Airways / AA takeover/merger changes to the AA ffp would not unsurprising

You cannot use AA miles to upgrade a QF flight
You cannot use QF points to upgrade an AA flight
You can use AA miles to upgrade an AA flight and some BA/IB flights
You can use QF points to upgrade an eligible QF flight, but its a lottery

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 28, 2014 at 1:55 am
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Qantas is very much in the news, as they have essentially changed their FFP, Qantas Frequent Flyer, to a revenue-based programme.

Originally Posted by harryhv
The company's financial troubles have hit the Qantas Frequent Flyer program, with a set of devaluations from 1 July.

Mileage earning on normal fares (aka "deep discount economy" in Qantas terminology) is down by about 30%.

SC's earnt on partner flights to/from Australia (Cathay, LAN etc) appear to be down by about half.
Australian Business Traveller: Qantas Frequent Flyer overhaul: how the changes will affect you

We will undoubtedly see changes in the "new" American Airlines FFP, possibly beginning 1/1/15, but could be sooner as well. Personally, some of us believe the new AAdvantage will also be more revenue-based (speculatively, one example might be using AA Elite-Qualifying Points instead of miles for status credit - current fares earn from 0.5 to 1.0 to 1.5 EQ Points per mile flown, and if they merely drop miles as a status criterion miles will still be earned but points would rule for status.)

So in both cases, I'd expect some devaluation and a more revenue-based status tier system - QF 1 July 2014, AA we can't say at this time.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JDiver
Qantas is very much in the news, as they have essentially changed their FFP, Qantas Frequent Flyer, to a revenue-based programme.
Credit to QFF is still based on route flown and booking class rather than actual amount paid ( unlike , say Virgin Australia, where domestic credit is nicely based on 5 points per $ spent )

It is no more yet a revenue system than AA is - AA credits travel on Qantas in a similar manner where lower booking classes earn a smaller percentage ( e,g, O,Q earning 25% , N,G,S earning 50% )
Old Mar 28, 2014, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
AA without a doubt, unless you want some status benefits with QF. I am not sure how much QF charges for intra-Australia flights or flights to NZ but I doubt it can beat AA's 10K which can even be done online. Add to that free date and/or routing changes (?). And no YQ.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Allow me to join the chorus: if you're not flying on QF within Australia there is zero reason to credit to QFF and every reason to credit to AA. If I'd made the switch ~5 years ago I'd be ~750k points richer.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Allow me to join the chorus: if you're not flying on QF within Australia there is zero reason to credit to QFF and every reason to credit to AA. If I'd made the switch ~5 years ago I'd be ~750k points richer.
I would take that further. Even if flying on QF within Australia there are plenty of reasons to credit to AA
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I would take that further. Even if flying on QF within Australia there are plenty of reasons to credit to AA
A lot of economy fares won't earn miles right? Methinks AS would be better in that regard.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
If I'd made the switch ~5 years ago I'd be ~750k points richer.
And redeem YQ free.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
A lot of economy fares won't earn miles right? Methinks AS would be better in that regard.
Not true, the eligable earning classes are the same.

All of Y,B,H,K,L,M,V,N,G,S,O,Q are eligable for earning miles to AA

Looking at the AS earning rules though, all of Q, O, N, S, V, M, L, G, K, H, B or Y seem to earn 100% miles plus do count towards attaining status

Last edited by Dave Noble; Mar 28, 2014 at 10:29 pm
Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:00 am

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Divorcing Qantas and moving to AA Advantage

After a massive devaluation this week, a lot of us in Oz are looking for OW alternatives including AA. From July onwards, we are going to get smashed when we fly OW carriers overseas and when buying cheap internal flights. Also OW status will become impossible to maintain so that seems to be a non factor in decision making now and its all about earning and burning points, noting that we will not have access to any of the credit card deals as we can't get US credit cards. Have just started researching and the AA redeem rates look pretty ok to be honest, but I was wondering if someone could check my thinking.

For example: if I fly MH Adelaide to Kuala Lumpur to London return, how many in Z class, how many points will AA points will this give me?

I have worked it out about 60,000

Also, any general advice on AA for overseas people would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Mar 29, 2014, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look here <removed circular link post merge>
and links in post 2 here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...help-here.html

Many QF flyers will retain OW status. Devaluation of status earning seems to about 30% on some routes. Award cost unchanged

How do get 60,000 miles ADL-KUL-LHR? From AA it earns 125%, exactly the same as flying QF marketed flight
http://www.americanairlines.com.au/i...erAirlines.jsp

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...utmk=194068398

Last edited by Microwave; Mar 29, 2014 at 3:35 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.