Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by zainman
I am also looking for a replacement for my QFF WP.. Probably looking at AA/CX/QR.

Are there any *O programs out there that allow pooling of tier miles/status credits?
QR and BA have programs that allow pooling of RDM only.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Not an issue for me however I have two children under 18 and we are off on a tier point run later this year. Although I can move them into a HH Account with BA I cannot get them into the Exec Club so my question is what would be the best OW option to subscribe them to for the TP run (As an example it would yield 720 TPs if with BA)?
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:42 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Not an issue for me however I have two children under 18 and we are off on a tier point run later this year. Although I can move them into a HH Account with BA I cannot get them into the Exec Club so my question is what would be the best OW option to subscribe them to for the TP run (As an example it would yield 720 TPs if with BA)?
Do you need status points for your children? For maximum flexibility (you may transfer avios to/from BA), enrol them in IB Plus - they allow children older than two. Check IB's "elite points earning table" for your itinerary - by and large BAEC and IB+ have comparable earn rates.
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
American Airlines AAdvantage Program has just been devalued

American Airlines AAdvantage Program has just been devalued

This may well effect people's decisions on which FFP to join

Changes are:
  • Elimination of Explorer awards (the multi-stopover, mileage-based award)
  • Removal of the allowed stopover "at the Nth American Gateway" on AA and All Partner awards
  • Variable Anytime Awards depending on demand (now similar to the Qantas Any Seat award)
Old Apr 8, 2014, 6:38 am

Marco Polo / Asia Miles vs. Avios

Hi together,

I live in Hong Kong and have recently been status matched to Marco Polo Gold from BA Avios, where I am currently Bronze but have accrued a number of miles over the last year (1,105 tier points but missing the 4th flight on BA to actually receive Silver status).

I am now seeking guidance on which programme to use for collecting miles going forward? i.e.
A) Remain with Avios
B) Switch to Asia Miles
C) Use both in parallel (I don't think this is a good option?)

In the short term I definitely want to make that 4th flight on BA so I am eligible for Silver and Gold later in the year.
From then on I am not sure whether to accrue in Asia Miles from scratch or continue with Avios (currently +100k points). I know that the number of Avios I receive when flying Cathay is lower compared to the same flight on BA. In this case I guess I am losing miles so it would be a reason to start collecting on Asia Miles. In the future I will continue to use both airlines but am not sure if it's worth switching to Asia Miles or just accept the lower accrual when collecting with Avios.
I am also not sure about Cathay's offers to redeem points and whether I would lose those miles again because Cathay's offers aren't simply that good...

Would appreciate your views and recommendations on what to do!
Old Apr 8, 2014, 9:15 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Fevon,

I am moving your question to the sticky thread regarding choosing a Oneworld FFP.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Apr 8, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Plat AMB, Hilton Gold, SPG
Seeking advices on choosing the FFP

delete

Last edited by sincera4565; Apr 20, 2014 at 8:51 am Reason: o well, no one is gonna read and help anyways :P
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:48 am

Any views on my situation?

Originally Posted by fevon
Hi together,

I live in Hong Kong and have recently been status matched to Marco Polo Gold from BA Avios, where I am currently Bronze but have accrued a number of miles over the last year (1,105 tier points but missing the 4th flight on BA to actually receive Silver status).

I am now seeking guidance on which programme to use for collecting miles going forward? i.e.
A) Remain with Avios
B) Switch to Asia Miles
C) Use both in parallel (I don't think this is a good option?)

In the short term I definitely want to make that 4th flight on BA so I am eligible for Silver and Gold later in the year.
From then on I am not sure whether to accrue in Asia Miles from scratch or continue with Avios (currently +100k points). I know that the number of Avios I receive when flying Cathay is lower compared to the same flight on BA. In this case I guess I am losing miles so it would be a reason to start collecting on Asia Miles. In the future I will continue to use both airlines but am not sure if it's worth switching to Asia Miles or just accept the lower accrual when collecting with Avios.
I am also not sure about Cathay's offers to redeem points and whether I would lose those miles again because Cathay's offers aren't simply that good...

Would appreciate your views and recommendations on what to do!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:47 am

How should I set up my memberships?

I have been primarily travelling US Airways domestic for the past several years, obtaining Gold status. I've moved into a new role with significant international travel, and would appreciate your advice on how best to set up my memberships & airline utilization. Thanks in advance!

What is most important to you in a FFP?
My primary objective is to earn miles from my business travel that I can use for personal travel with my family. Secondarily, I enjoy the perks that come with status such as free upgrades and lounge access. I never cash in miles for upgrades or lounge access, only for reward travel with family.

How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class?
In my new role, I’ll travel approximately 80k miles per year. YTD (As of April) I’ve travelled 40k qualifying miles in a mix of economy (for domestic) and business (for long haul). Most of the mileage will come sitting in a business class seat. Many ‘segments’ will come in domestic.

What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Business for long haul and Economy for domestic

Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
I can choose Business class for long haul (>=6 hrs, inter-regional), and can choose airline as long as price is ‘competitive’, which usually means within a certain price delta from the lowest fare meeting my specific timing & route criteria. It is not typical to have to choose a non-preferred airline but it can happen, and I happily comply with the company policy. Award travel is always economy (because its only been domestic so far).

Which routes do you fly most often
I will be based in Philadelphia with business interests all over the world but specifically Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Luxembourg, Geneva, Sao Paulo, Mexico City

What is your home airport?It will be PHL beginning mid-year forward. For the past 4 years, I was based near a small regional airport which benefited me with segments but was a hassle getting anywhere.

Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
US Airways Silver. My travel decreased greatly the end of last year and I was bumped down from Gold to Silver last month.

Preferred Airlines
Domestically I’ve flown US Airways for years and years. I’m still learning my way around with the international travel. I have been highly impressed with all of the Asian carriers (Cathay Pacific, Korean Air, Asiana, ANA) and not so impressed with the US-based carriers (American to Sao Paulo in business class was TERRIBLE, but American to Seoul in business class was pretty good).
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:37 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by HomeSickTiger
I have been primarily travelling US Airways domestic for the past several years, obtaining Gold status. I've moved into a new role with significant international travel, and would appreciate your advice on how best to set up my memberships & airline utilization. Thanks in advance!

What is most important to you in a FFP?
My primary objective is to earn miles from my business travel that I can use for personal travel with my family. Secondarily, I enjoy the perks that come with status such as free upgrades and lounge access. I never cash in miles for upgrades or lounge access, only for reward travel with family.

How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class?
In my new role, I’ll travel approximately 80k miles per year. YTD (As of April) I’ve travelled 40k qualifying miles in a mix of economy (for domestic) and business (for long haul). Most of the mileage will come sitting in a business class seat. Many ‘segments’ will come in domestic.

What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Business for long haul and Economy for domestic

Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
I can choose Business class for long haul (>=6 hrs, inter-regional), and can choose airline as long as price is ‘competitive’, which usually means within a certain price delta from the lowest fare meeting my specific timing & route criteria. It is not typical to have to choose a non-preferred airline but it can happen, and I happily comply with the company policy. Award travel is always economy (because its only been domestic so far).

Which routes do you fly most often
I will be based in Philadelphia with business interests all over the world but specifically Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Luxembourg, Geneva, Sao Paulo, Mexico City

What is your home airport?It will be PHL beginning mid-year forward. For the past 4 years, I was based near a small regional airport which benefited me with segments but was a hassle getting anywhere.

Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
US Airways Silver. My travel decreased greatly the end of last year and I was bumped down from Gold to Silver last month.

Preferred Airlines
Domestically I’ve flown US Airways for years and years. I’m still learning my way around with the international travel. I have been highly impressed with all of the Asian carriers (Cathay Pacific, Korean Air, Asiana, ANA) and not so impressed with the US-based carriers (American to Sao Paulo in business class was TERRIBLE, but American to Seoul in business class was pretty good).
Well, for the moment I wouldn't do anything. AA says it will synchronize the US and AA programs fairly soon, so your status should translate to AA Plat or EXP if you maintain it.

Given your travel pattern, I'd check my actual mileage accruals (on your US account) to see how close you'd get to AA EXP. With AA you can attain EXP (Oneworld Emerald) either by accumulating 100K elite-qualifying miles, or 100K elite-qualifying points in a (calendar) year. Business and above (also premium economy on carriers that have it) earn 1.5 EQ point per flown mile, while economy fares earn either 1/2 or 1 EQP/mile. So if your projected 80K flown miles includes, say, 55K in business and the other 25K in coach, you could probably make EXP through that channel. 8 SWUs annually, the terrific EXP phone line, many perks... totally worth it.

Philly is obviously going to continue to be an AA hub going forward, so I'd stick with AA.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: AF P, BA G, A3 *G, EK G
I fly to Hong Kong 4/5 times a month from Paris or various other european cities.... I usually take Cathay mnl-hkg and pvg-hkg. Would there be any chance they would status match my aegean status or it must be a competing airline which means it flys to hkg?
Old Apr 19, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by want2beaqui
I fly to Hong Kong 4/5 times a month from Paris or various other european cities.... I usually take Cathay mnl-hkg and pvg-hkg. Would there be any chance they would status match my aegean status or it must be a competing airline which means it flys to hkg?
CX generally asks for a copy of your current programs earning records and some forward bookings on CX.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:10 pm

Which Oneworld ffp should I take?

Hi all!
In September I"m travelling from Budapest to Toronto, and returning from New York to London with British Airways. I have never flew with a Oneworld flight before, and I don't know when I will fly with them next time, but I do not want to lose these miles, so I thought I should enter a ffp.
I'm a Hungarian, my home airport is Budapest. We do not have reward credit card offers, so that does not help to choose. I'm not a business traveller, I travel only for leisure on Economy classes. I prefer to burn my miles for award tickets.

What do you think, which Oneworld program meets my situation the best?
Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

nagyt Welcome to the forum

Originally Posted by nagyt
.. I prefer to burn my miles for award tickets.

What do you think, which Oneworld program meets my situation the best?
Thanks in advance!
AA tends to have lowest miles needed for long haul awards. BA is good for shorter awards, but can have surcharges
Alaska is a good ffp and has BA and many others as partners http://www.alaskaair.com/content/mil...ePlan-partners Are any of these airlines you may fly on?

Beware of the expiry rules for the miles. With no eligible activity BA it is 36 months, AS it is 24 months & AA it is 18 months. For an infrequent flyer I would tend to BA due to the expiry period. Others may have a different opinion

Also be aware of the booking class of your economy ticket. Some low fares earn few (or nil) miles

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Apr 28, 2014 at 3:59 pm
Old Apr 30, 2014, 2:03 pm

Thank you Mwenenzi.
Alaska airlines seems to be very interesting for me, since it is not a member of Oneworld, but still has BA as a partner. Furthermore they also have KLM/Air France from SkyTeam as partner, they fly in Budapest as well, so it seems a better option. However BA has 36 months expirity, I think I have to decide which is more important.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.