FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 11:47 am
HomeSickTiger

How should I set up my memberships?

I have been primarily travelling US Airways domestic for the past several years, obtaining Gold status. I've moved into a new role with significant international travel, and would appreciate your advice on how best to set up my memberships & airline utilization. Thanks in advance!

What is most important to you in a FFP?
My primary objective is to earn miles from my business travel that I can use for personal travel with my family. Secondarily, I enjoy the perks that come with status such as free upgrades and lounge access. I never cash in miles for upgrades or lounge access, only for reward travel with family.

How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class?
In my new role, I’ll travel approximately 80k miles per year. YTD (As of April) I’ve travelled 40k qualifying miles in a mix of economy (for domestic) and business (for long haul). Most of the mileage will come sitting in a business class seat. Many ‘segments’ will come in domestic.

What types of fares do you usually buy ?
Business for long haul and Economy for domestic

Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
I can choose Business class for long haul (>=6 hrs, inter-regional), and can choose airline as long as price is ‘competitive’, which usually means within a certain price delta from the lowest fare meeting my specific timing & route criteria. It is not typical to have to choose a non-preferred airline but it can happen, and I happily comply with the company policy. Award travel is always economy (because its only been domestic so far).

Which routes do you fly most often
I will be based in Philadelphia with business interests all over the world but specifically Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Luxembourg, Geneva, Sao Paulo, Mexico City

What is your home airport?It will be PHL beginning mid-year forward. For the past 4 years, I was based near a small regional airport which benefited me with segments but was a hassle getting anywhere.

Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
US Airways Silver. My travel decreased greatly the end of last year and I was bumped down from Gold to Silver last month.

Preferred Airlines
Domestically I’ve flown US Airways for years and years. I’m still learning my way around with the international travel. I have been highly impressed with all of the Asian carriers (Cathay Pacific, Korean Air, Asiana, ANA) and not so impressed with the US-based carriers (American to Sao Paulo in business class was TERRIBLE, but American to Seoul in business class was pretty good).