Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > oneworld
Reload this Page >

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is here.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2019, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveholt
<snip>
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
I don't have any OW status. In the past, I've held AB Gold from a status match and AA Plat from a Hyatt offer. Right now, I have about 90K BA miles and 70K QF miles.

(8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
I do like the idea of earning EK awards, although that would limit me to JAL. I like B6, although that's obviously not part of the program and perhaps irrelevant to the question at hand.
I do prefer DL to AA, although AA's route dominance in DCA makes it more likely I have to consider AA. I prefer AA metal slightly to BA over the Atlantic, although I haven't had the opportunity to fly in preferred BA seats without status. I have only flown Iberia in inter-EU J and quite liked ending up in a weird cushy recliner as opposed to traditional EU J. I've only flown AY on the 350 from LHR-HEL and liked it.

I'm very fond of CX but don't see myself traveling to southeast Asia very frequently in the years to come.
Good summary. But 1 ffp is likley only to meet some of the requirements (in full or part). Something will have to go.
For awards check the earn to burn/cash co payments. Can be big differences.

Both BA & QF have 4 flights on own airline/own flights rule for mid-top status (=lounge access). The exact rules are not the same. BA has more options with BA operated and IB marketed/IB operated OK.

EK is also a ff partner of QF & AS. There are QF codehares on EK operated aircraft. KLM/AF is now a QF ffp partner on all flights

BA, QF & EK and others are partners of Alaska AS ffp. But the list of AS partners is decreasing over time. AS status does not give lounge access on partners [QF may be an exception with AS mid-top status: not 100% sure]

Presumably you do something to stop the BA avios & QF points from expiring. Worth checking the current expiry. To me I would have put BA & QF into 1 ffp.

Traditional inter EU J is an economy seat with no one in the middle
steveholt likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 10, 2019 at 4:41 pm
Old Dec 10, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Good summary. But 1 ffp is likley only to meet some of the requirements (in full or part). Something will have to go.
Thank you for the prompt reply. I'm aware of many of these issues. My question, to be clearer, is that given how I've weighted my preferences, I'm trying to figure out which one is best. I'm particularly curious about options beyond the AA/BA programs, since I know them quite well.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:57 am

I would really appreciate help on choosing the best FFP for us. We will start our 1st RTW with OW through JAL in January. We intend to do another RTW in the near future also with OW through JAL as starting in Japan gives us the best price. We currently live in Thailand & are likely to do BKK-YUL, BKK-SEA, YUL-SEA routes once every 1 or 2 years between our other Asia/Europe explorations. We have family near SEA & MTL. I've looked at www.wheretocredit.com & it looks like we would get the most miles by using Alaska'a FFP for most of our flights although Alaska is not officially a OW member. With our flights with Qatar & Latam we would get more miles with Bangkok Airways. But miles are not always more important than other factors & I'm wondering if it would not be better to pool all the miles in one place. Thanks in advance for any advise you can give us.

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Good Award redemption rates & better award access
(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
25000-50000 usually Premium economy but sometimes business.
(3) What types of fares do you usually buy?
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Reply: Premium Economy when purchasing single segment. Business when using awards or purchasing RTW
(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Travel for Pleasure. Freedom to choose any airline or class of service
(5) Which routes and airlines do you fly most often?
Asia & Transpacific
(6) What is your home airport?
BKK (Bangkok)
(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in OW or other airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
No status yet. Delta 40K+ Chase Reserve 100K+
Up to now, mostly Delta, Air Canada & Air Asia. With our upcoming RTW it will be a first with most of the OW airlines.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:36 am

Programs: MPCGO, AYPt, SQG, HHDiamond
Alternatives to Marco Polo?

I am from Hong Kong. Every year, I fly at least 4 times HKG-LHR with Cathay in Economy. I also fly to Seoul as well. Starting university in UK soon, I will travel with my friends to Europe for vacation. Therefore, priority service matters, such as, extra baggage allowance and good administrative services such as toll-free calls at any time, clear ticketing fare rules, be able to talk to managers when the front line can’t solve our problems, just like CX.

I will be an uni student for the next 3 years and probably another year in the US for masters. I don’t mind to take business for some trips.

It is very likely for me and my family to relocate to the UK or US, probably Singapore as well due to the social unrest in HK.

I am a Marco Polo Gold member (OW Sapphire) because due to unforeseen circumstances I flew 7 times HKG-LHR last year.

I would like to maintain my OW Status, but keeping in mind my future plan for the next couple of years it is unlikely for me to do so with Cathay.

I am looking for an alternative for Marco Polo and have done some research. Personally, I am attracted to Qatar’s Privilege club because the membership lasts for two years, which saves me a lot of time in planning trips. They also have bonus Qpoints as well which attracts me a lot.

I am also attracted to Finnair’s FFP. We are able to collect mileages based on distance travelled in kilometres. When taking Finnair flights there are multipliers based on tier and if I take CX flights, I can get extra mileages. I am also attracted to their lifetime membership.

While researching, I found out that Japan Airline’s JGC Club automatically give members lifetime OW Sapphire memberships. Looks like a good thing…

Thank you for reading though. Can you kindly suggest which FFP I should go? If any Star Alliance airlines are suitable, please feel free to suggest.

P.S. I think grace period matters most.

Many thanks, Neo
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:43 am

Programs: MPCGO, AYPt, SQG, HHDiamond
I am from Hong Kong. Every year, I fly at least 4 times HKG-LHR with Cathay in Economy. I also fly to Seoul as well. Starting university in UK soon, I will travel with my friends to Europe for vacation. Therefore, priority service matters, such as, extra baggage allowance and good administrative services such as toll-free calls at any time, clear ticketing fare rules, be able to talk to managers when the front line can’t solve our problems, just like CX.

I will be an uni student for the next 3 years and probably another year in the US for masters. I don’t mind to take business for some trips.

It is very likely for me and my family to relocate to the UK or US, probably Singapore as well due to the social unrest in HK.

I am a Marco Polo Gold member (OW Sapphire) because due to unforeseen circumstances I flew 7 times HKG-LHR last year.

I would like to maintain my OW Status, but keeping in mind my future plan for the next couple of years it is unlikely for me to do so with Cathay.

I am looking for an alternative for Marco Polo and have done some research. Personally, I am attracted to Qatar’s Privilege club because the membership lasts for two years, which saves me a lot of time in planning trips. They also have bonus Qpoints as well which attracts me a lot.

I am also attracted to Finnair’s FFP. We are able to collect mileages based on distance travelled in kilometres. When taking Finnair flights there are multipliers based on tier and if I take CX flights, I can get extra mileages. I am also attracted to their lifetime membership.

While researching, I found out that Japan Airline’s JGC Club automatically give members lifetime OW Sapphire memberships. Looks like a good thing…

Thank you for reading though. Can you kindly suggest which FFP I should go? If any Star Alliance airlines are suitable, please feel free to suggest.

P.S. I think grace period matters most.

Many thanks, Neo
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:18 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Hello,

A friend of mine would like to consider a frequent flyer program for One World. He won't fly that much so I was wondering what would be the best fit for him, as I don't fly OW.

Lounge access, and potentially priority boarding, but mostly lounge access.

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
25000-50000 usually economy for work.
Reply: Economy

4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Travel for work, can choose the airline if the price is cheap enough relatively speaking.
Latin America and Caribbean

JFK, LGA and EWR.
United Silver this year.

8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
Up to now, mostly Delta or Air Canada (going to Canada).

The rouge is now changing to South America. LatAm should be the most common carrier used.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gasolin
Hello,

A friend of mine would like to consider a frequent flyer program for One World. He won't fly that much so I was wondering what would be the best fit for him, as I don't fly OW.
Lounge access, and potentially priority boarding, but mostly lounge access.
<snip>
8) Preferred Airlines? Most common Airlines flown on?
Up to now, mostly Delta or Air Canada (going to Canada).

The rouge is now changing to South America. LatAm should be the most common carrier used.
LATAM is leaving OW in Oct 2020. Will then be associated with DL. DL have take a part ownership of LATAM.
Mid top level status with AA will not get you lounge access on USA domestic flights. Unsure on Caribbean flights.
Some other ffp's like BA & QF have an requirement for X flights on the ffp airlines. Precise rules vary, so check each ffp. But mid-top level status get you lounge access on USA domestic flights.
May be better to pay cash for lounge access. Or a credit card that has a lounge access benefit.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:46 am

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
Will lose AA exec platinum after 10 years of having it and will miss my emerald card and those first class lounges in hong kong plus using F class BA checkin in London when time is tight. I have a Centurion so not a big deal, i can always use fast track. I've joined RJ thinking that 65,000 EQMs would be easy. Thoughts on this? What's the easiest to qualify for EMD. BA is a big turnoff to me because of the poor phone service and high fuel surcharges on awards.

Easy EMD qualification (easiest) plus low fuel surcharges on awards.
100k in business long haul and economy EU short haul
discount business and economy

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
total freedom to choose. usually for work
GVA/MLA TUN/LAX ARN/PEK

GVA
AA Exec Platinum (losing it January 2020) and AF Platinum
QR, CX, BA
Old Jan 16, 2020, 12:51 am

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
Originally Posted by ACHS68
Suggestions is much appreciated.
I currently have 2 Gold *A account; SQ PPS ad TK elite.
Am thinking of starting a One World FFP account.
A quick question too...….any OW airlines has a 2 years validity on their status?.

(1) home airport - Singapore
(2) miles flown each year & in what class? - approx. 100k (60/40 in J & Y class). Fly business for work and mix (depending on availability of reasonable J fares) for leisure
(3) types of fares bought - fly business for work and mix for leisure depending on availability of reasonable J fares
(4) choice of airlines/cabins. work and/or pleasure? For work generally would be SQ. Leisure is pretty mixed and mainly *A.
(5) routes flown most often - Singapore to Europe, USA & Asia.
(6) current FFP status - *A (SQ PPS *G and TK Elite Gold)
(7) What is most important to you in a FFP? Good rates in J, (lounge access, extra baggage, priority boarding, upgrades when flying Y)
(8) Preferred Airlines - SQ & TK

Thank You
I think rj has two years for emd.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:47 am

deleted

Last edited by FriendVentures; Feb 25, 2020 at 3:02 am Reason: No response
Old Feb 17, 2020, 6:49 am

IB vs BA

deleted

Last edited by MBIRI; Feb 17, 2020 at 6:50 am Reason: calculated by myself
Old Mar 9, 2020, 1:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I’m located in Europe and need some help deciding between BA, AA and AS.
The last 4 years, I have had BA Silver (OW Sapphire) or Gold (OW Emerald) status from flying cheap QR business class tickets to Asia and cheap BA/AA/IB/AY business class tickets to the US.
But I have recently flown more on miles, so for this year I haven’t renewed my BA status yet.

I have three bookings in Finnair I class to CAN/HKG from Germany.
Something like TXL-HEL-HKG and back.
Apart from that, I don’t have any longhaul travel booked yet for this year.

I’m wondering whether I should credit those flights to AS, BA or AA.
AS would yield the highest number of the most valuable miles - but they’re not a Oneworld member yet and a devaluation is incoming.
BA wouldn’t yield as many miles, but it would help with renewing my status.
AA has the challenge to Platinum Pro (I’m a Hyatt Globalist).

I have very few domestic flights in the US, so lounge access in the US or upgrades on domestic AA flights aren’t very important to me.
I could also credit the AY flights to AS and then book something with QR, purely to renew my BA status. But then again, I’m wondering how much sense that makes... Status actually isn’t THAT important to me. It’s just nice to be able to select seats for free (especially on BA metal - but then again, I try avoid flying BA...).
And the other benefit that I use is lounge access, especially at MAD. And of course fast track security.
I only fly business class on longhaul flights though, so again, it’s not that critical.
But I do fly IB in economy from time to time, etc.

Most of my economy class flights are with Star Alliance nowadays, and I’m already covered there.
But I still think it would be nice to keep Oneworld status as well.

So... What would you do?
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: Flying Returns Silver (*A), Vistara Gold, Hilton Honors Silver
Shuttle between BLR / LHR and SFO a lot. Which OW status makes sense?

Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: Extra Baggage Allowance, Good Award Redemption Rates are things I'd prioritise over anything else. Lounges get covered by my credit card (Diners)

(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
Reply: 100000-150000 miles in a year. All in Economy.
Reply: Economy
Reply: I can choose any airline. International Travel is work and domestic is for work and pleasure.
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Reply: India -> US, India -> UK, US Domestic
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
Reply: SFO and BLR (I spent equal time in both these cities)
(AA Executive Platinum, QF Gold, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
Reply: Flying Returns Silver (Star Alliance Silver) where I have 25K miles. Vistara Gold (40K miles). Other than this, I have 25K in Asia Miles, and 7-10K miles in KrisFlyer, Etihad Guest, American Airlines.
Reply: My most common international routes are BLR -> LHR, BLR -> SFO and hence end up taking either Cathay or Etihad respectively. Though also end up traveling quite a bit on Air India too coz of Direct flights to India from both SFO and LHR.

Since I already have a star alliance silver, I am hoping to get OneWorld status this year and hoping with atleast 6 long haul flights and about 10+ mid range (across US domestic/UK-US) flights, it should be enough. The only challenge is that all these flights are going to be economy. What would you suggest?

I am personally quite keen on Alaska, but also thinking about other alternatives. I am not very thrilled with the surcharges on BA
Old May 17, 2020, 1:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX MPC SL, HHonors Diamond
Hello

Would like an opinion on what may suit my travel.
Questions
For members asking for information, to help people to assist you, can you please provide:
(upgrades on travel, priority services when flying the airline, extra baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, free - discounted lounge access, etc.)
Reply: Extra baggage, lounge access
Reply: ~100,000 miles on paid tickets
Reply: Economy/Business (cheapest)
Reply: Yes - but prefer to have least stops. Traveling to represent country in sport events, given a travel stipend usually but no restriction
Reply: in asia, Asia to US (3-4 times/year), Asia to Europe (1-2 times/year)
Reply: HKG, SIN (travel between the two almost every 2-3 weeks)
Reply: CX Silver, UA 1K
Reply: CX, UA, SQ

I don't see the huge added benefit of 1K vs Gold on UA, so will likely shift some travel onto Oneworld to get a mid-high status on each alliance for convenience. Traveling with my sport equipment usually requires extra baggage, so with status to save the cost of extra baggage is essential.
Old May 17, 2020, 2:29 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by tdlim
Hello

Would like an opinion on what may suit my travel.
Questions
Reply: Extra baggage, lounge access
Reply: ~100,000 miles on paid tickets
Reply: Economy/Business (cheapest)
Reply: Yes - but prefer to have least stops. Traveling to represent country in sport events, given a travel stipend usually but no restriction
Reply: in asia, Asia to US (3-4 times/year), Asia to Europe (1-2 times/year)
Reply: HKG, SIN (travel between the two almost every 2-3 weeks)
Reply: CX Silver, UA 1K
Reply: CX, UA, SQ

I don't see the huge added benefit of 1K vs Gold on UA, so will likely shift some travel onto Oneworld to get a mid-high status on each alliance for convenience. Traveling with my sport equipment usually requires extra baggage, so with status to save the cost of extra baggage is essential.
For lounge access, definitely CX MPO if you mostly travel in Y. CX gives silver members unlimited lounge access before its own flights, which is not a benefit given by UA or SQ. On the other hand, CX only gives silver members extra baggage on non-Trans-Pacific tickets. If you think 2pc*23kg is enough, it should be okay, but if you need more, you will have to aim for Gold. Note AFAIK SQ doesn't give extra bags to silver members, either. With CX silver (oneworld Ruby), though, you can get a free bag on AA domestic, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.