Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AONE4 from Khartoum

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2012, 6:32 am

One potential problem to watch out for with open dated tickets from my expereince:

If you have an open dated coupon A to B and oneworld airlines stop flying A to B you need to reroute (and pay the fee for this).
Same if you have a coupon with a date, want to change and no airline is flying that sector (any more)
If you have a dated coupon and because of a schedule change nobody is flying any more you are protected.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:10 am

I'm surprised at the 'no charge for date changes' comments - I haven't flown xONEx for several years but before that was active for a decade or so, over which period the airlines (all?) went from smiling at the valued first-class passenger - all but having full bar service at the check-in counter - to considering us as leeches. Never a charge for a date change, but they all seemed to want around USD150 as a "standing in front of my counter" charge. At least once AA refused to sticker a paper coupon for a simple date change and charged for a 'ticket reissue' fee.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:50 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by JohnAx
I'm surprised at the 'no charge for date changes' comments - I haven't flown xONEx for several years but before that was active for a decade or so, over which period the airlines (all?) went from smiling at the valued first-class passenger - all but having full bar service at the check-in counter - to considering us as leeches. Never a charge for a date change, but they all seemed to want around USD150 as a "standing in front of my counter" charge. At least once AA refused to sticker a paper coupon for a simple date change and charged for a 'ticket reissue' fee.
In my experience these tickets are so rarely seen at most stations that they fall into some sort of "OMG" category with the airline people. And even with personnel who know something about them, consistency between Oneworld airlines over the provisions and how-tos associated with the tickets has never been a strong suit. [/irony.]

The rules were amended a couple of years ago to include a line about "service charges" being at the discretion of the airlines. Fuel > flame, especially with certain members that have Union Jacks and/or kangaroos in their livery. Getting nickeled and dimed on premium RTW tickets costing thousands of dollars/pounds really sucks, but if one has the mind set of airline accountants, we're soft targets. Who're you gonna complain to?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Gardyloo
The rules were amended a couple of years ago to include a line about "service charges" being at the discretion of the airlines. Fuel > flame, especially with certain members that have Union Jacks and/or kangaroos in their livery. Getting nickeled and dimed on premium RTW tickets costing thousands of dollars/pounds really sucks, but if one has the mind set of airline accountants, we're soft targets. Who're you gonna complain to?
This is why it is good, at present at least (who knows the future), to ticket with an airline that has the star bangled banner in its livery - no service charges
Old Oct 30, 2012, 9:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pandaperth
This is why it is good, at present at least (who knows the future), to ticket with an airline that has the star bangled banner in its livery - no service charges
I'm missing something here, as I'm not immediately recalling the stars on AA's current livery. [Are you perhaps thinking about USAirways, with the stars and stripes tail?] If you're talking about LAN, then I have to sharply disagree regarding this ticketing recommendation.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
I'm missing something here, as I'm not immediately recalling the stars on AA's current livery. [Are you perhaps thinking about USAirways, with the stars and stripes tail?] If you're talking about LAN, then I have to sharply disagree regarding this ticketing recommendation.
Oops -there I go again
assuming evey American business, of whatever nature, displays the stars & stripes somewhere
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:24 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Star-Spangled Banner http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star-Spangled_Banner
not to be confused with The Bangles http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bangles
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:59 am

Is the party coming to an end?

Been a bit obsessive about the ex-KRT prices lately, and just did my regular check of the DONE4 price using KVS

I inadvertently left the airline as QF (from some earlier query)

Gulp: DONE4 showing as SDG44,123 (up from SDG14,700)
Checked all eleven OW airlines

QF, S7 and CX showing SDG44,123
All the others showing SDG14,700 still

Anyone else seeing this?
Does it mean the party is coming to an end?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 10:45 am

Been a bit obsessive about the ex-KRT prices lately, and just did my regular check of the DONE4 price using KVS

Anyone else seeing this?
OW does like to change xONEx fares on the first of a month
Old Nov 1, 2012, 4:41 pm

Anyone else seeing this?
So is there still a way to book this?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:17 pm

I really hope not. I just got my invitation and needed to wait a few more days so that I could book it with dummy dates instead of an open booking.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
One potential problem to watch out for with open dated tickets from my expereince:

If you have an open dated coupon A to B and oneworld airlines stop flying A to B you need to reroute (and pay the fee for this).
Same if you have a coupon with a date, want to change and no airline is flying that sector (any more)
If you have a dated coupon and because of a schedule change nobody is flying any more you are protected.
I'm a little puzzled -- are you saying that dated or open doesn't matter, if an airline stops flying one must pay the reroute fee and any fare increase, but with a dated coupon you're protected from schedule changes? From the rest of your pot I thought you were saying the opposite, that dated coupons provide protection, but the bolded text says it's the same either way.

How long ago was this? Years ago, AA had no charges at all for issuing tickets, but more recently started charging everyone except executive platinum members a fee. It doesn't matter if you're buying a $98 fare or a $12,000 one, or a free (award) ticket.

In my experience these tickets are so rarely seen at most stations that they fall into some sort of "OMG" category with the airline people.
In my limited experience with recent paper tickets they've been no problem. Last year I was issued one by accident and went to the airport to exchange it for an e-ticket well in advance of my trip (just to make it easier if anything needed to be changed) and it was no problem.

Getting nickeled and dimed on premium RTW tickets costing thousands of dollars/pounds really sucks, but if one has the mind set of airline accountants, we're soft targets. Who're you gonna complain to?
The other way to look at it is that some RTW fares are still excellent bargains (not ex-US, sadly) so who cares about a $35 fee or whatever for (re)issuing a ticket?

Anyone else seeing this?
Well, EF still has the same fare:

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Fare Information Search:

Departing KRT on 11/01/12 for KRT
Flying AA  
Viewing in currency USD
Validated Results

Fare Basis  Airline  Booking  Trip Type   Fare           Cabin  Effective  Expiration  Min/Max  Advanced
                     Class                                      Date       Date        Stay     Purchase Req
DONE3       AA       D        Round-Trip  2877.00 (USD)  B                             10 / 12M 
DGLOB34     AA       D        Round-Trip  3330.00 (USD)  B                             10 / 12M 
DONE4       AA       D        Round-Trip  3330.00 (USD)  B                             10 / 12M 
DONE5       AA       D        Round-Trip  3918.00 (USD)  B                             10 / 12M 
AONE3       AA       A        Round-Trip  4032.00 (USD)  F                             10 / 12M 
DONE6       AA       D        Round-Trip  4439.00 (USD)  B                             10 / 12M 
AGLOB34     AA       A        Round-Trip  4621.00 (USD)  F                             10 / 12M 
AONE4       AA       A        Round-Trip  4621.00 (USD)  F                             10 / 12M 
AONE5       AA       A        Round-Trip  5413.00 (USD)  F                             10 / 12M 
AONE6       AA       A        Round-Trip  6002.00 (USD)  F                             10 / 12M
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism

How long ago was this? Years ago, AA had no charges at all for issuing tickets, but more recently started charging everyone except executive platinum members a fee. It doesn't matter if you're buying a $98 fare or a $12,000 one, or a free (award) ticket.
I flew one end-on-end after another for ten years ending about 5 years ago (with a nice SQ 77W biz-class return (originating SGN) home, since despite having AA exec plat that year I couldn't find a way to do it cheaper) and came to expect that anything I did with my AA-issued ticket would cost me $150. If you were flying AONEx's in the same time frame and had a different experience, good on you.

Those AA charges always came at the hands of LAX or ONT airport staff, so perhaps it was a locality thing. One time out of ANC (where I believe AS handled them) I got away with a voluntary reroute for free.

I do hope your optimism re KRT pricing has merit, but I do believe the cheap ride is over.
[/QUOTE]
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:16 pm

Just an FYI...

I had an ex-KRT itinerary setup and priced in CAD (~$4.5k), which was confirmed by a Canadian travel agent, however when they went to ticket it the following morning the price had gone up to ~$12.5k. The TA called AA, who said that they were no longer honoring those prices and that there would be no exceptions.

So if anybody manages to secure a RTW ex-KRT going forward, post here!
Old Nov 1, 2012, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I flew one end-on-end after another for ten years ending about 5 years ago (with a nice SQ 77W biz-class return (originating SGN) home, since despite having AA exec plat that year I couldn't find a way to do it cheaper) and came to expect that anything I did with my AA-issued ticket would cost me $150.
$150 to re-issue a ticket? I don't understand that, especially as it's free for executive platinums. That wasn't a re-route fee, right? You were just making date changes? Also, did you try calling the EXP desk?

Last edited by anabolism; Nov 1, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.