Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AONE4 from Khartoum

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by checkerboard
Did you receive a ticket number, or just a booking confirmation code?

If the former, it's great to know the bug is fixed. If the latter - the same happened to me, and I thought that all was in order. However, despite having a six-letter PNR, AA never actually ticketed the itinerary. (See my post #277 in this very thread).
Last night the itinerary was showing "Ticketed" on aa.com (the ticket issuer was AA), and I was able to choose/change seats on BA/CX/QF flights on their respective sites, which sometimes don't permit that if they don't believe that ticketing has occurred. A few hours later the itinerary was showing "Purchased" on aa.com, and this morning the itinerary was "On Request" at aa.com. I called the credit card company to verify whether the charge was being processed, and was told that no, nothing other than a $0 test charge had come through from AA at the time of ticketing, and that nothing has been rejected or unapproved.

I have no current theories about what's gone wrong ---- but in some ways I am not overly stressed as this gives us a 2nd shot at getting the itinerary perfected (i.e. the additional 3 segments booked) before either the 5% cancellation charge or the $125 change fee. One crazy intuition is based on your experience re street address --- I left off our street address as it was not required (no "*" on that line). Another is irt to an AMM - JFK segment on RJ, as it was the only segment of the 13 confirmed segments that did not come back with initial seat assignments, and RJ was the only airline site that would not let me in to "manage my booking". I'll give it another try soon to see if either of these wacky intuitions has any factual basis.

In the meantime, I count this as another fail, but a lot better than a few days ago. [checkmytrip still shows all 13 segments as "confirmed"]
Old Oct 14, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by jbalmuth
Another is irt to an AMM - JFK segment on RJ
What's irt?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 6:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by anabolism
What's irt?
in regard to (or "in reference to")

Last edited by jbalmuth; Oct 14, 2012 at 6:24 pm
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: Starwood, AA
Has anyone here done a TWOV (Transit without visa) in Khartoum? Contemplating the following:
arrive on ET from ADD at 1:50am, depart on RJ to AMM at 6:25am
Still concerned what the last point means re: onward carrier notifying immigration.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Holders of onward tickets for a max.
transit For details, click here time of 6 hours.
- The onward carrier is required to report the onward booking
to the Immigration Authorities.

Does anyone know who would be able to provide the information? I will try to call RJ, but not expecting much help. Not sure who else may have the info.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by lerasp
Has anyone here done a TWOV (Transit without visa) in Khartoum? Contemplating the following:
arrive on ET from ADD at 1:50am, depart on RJ to AMM at 6:25am
Still concerned what the last point means re: onward carrier notifying immigration.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Holders of onward tickets for a max.
transit For details, click here time of 6 hours.
- The onward carrier is required to report the onward booking
to the Immigration Authorities.

Does anyone know who would be able to provide the information? I will try to call RJ, but not expecting much help. Not sure who else may have the info.
Review the earlier posts in this thread, there has been a lot of discussion about this.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: QFF
Just a quick note that AONE4 is still available ex-KRT at the old price.

Earlier this week I booked my trip with AA and got it ticketed by Gala Travels in Canada for CAD 3779 + taxes. Naeem and Zakia provided excellent ticketing service for CAD 84.75.

My route is KRT-AMM-LHR,CPH-LHR-SYD-AKL-BNE-ADL-BNE-HKG-JFK-DFW-LAX-JFK-CDG-AMM

Yeah, I know - it is not optimum for travel in A, but SWMBO hates mileage runs and I wanted to keep the taxes and fees low. It is still fantastic value to pay the little extra for a AONE4 instead of a DONE4.

I deliberately went for a transit in LHR on the way to SYD to avoid £184 in UK Air Passenger Duty (~$300). One can get to CPH on U2 for less than $100.

All up, the taxes and fuel fines ended up less than $1300.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:40 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by AndersB
Earlier this week I booked my trip with AA and got it ticketed by Gala Travels in Canada for CAD 3779 + taxes. Naeem and Zakia provided excellent ticketing service for CAD 84.75.

My route is KRT-AMM-LHR,CPH-LHR-SYD-AKL-BNE-ADL-BNE-HKG-JFK-DFW-LAX-JFK-CDG-AMM

Yeah, I know - it is not optimum for travel in A, but SWMBO hates mileage runs and I wanted to keep the taxes and fees low. It is still fantastic value to pay the little extra for a AONE4 instead of a DONE4.

I deliberately went for a transit in LHR on the way to SYD to avoid £184 in UK Air Passenger Duty (~$300). One can get to CPH on U2 for less than $100.

All up, the taxes and fuel fines ended up less than $1300.
Why the surface sector from LHR-CPH? Why not BA J rather than EasyJet?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 1:35 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by anabolism
Why the surface sector from LHR-CPH? Why not BA J rather than EasyJet?
AFAIK, there is a rule that says that you are only allowed 2 stops in the continent of origin. We want to spend time in London and Scandinavia, but also stop in Paris after the second last flight segment.

Doing a surface sector was the easiest way of accomplishing this within the rules. If anyone has another way around it, please let me know.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Just an FYI for anyone that's interested

I have just completed the purchase of two ex-KRT DONE4s (for myself & Mrs pandaperth)
Set up the tickets with the AA RTW Desk and then got Naeem at Gala Travels to do the ticketing
All very easy and very efficient

All-in cost came to AUD7,735
Which is 1,850 less than I paid for two ex-PER low-season LONE4s back in 2008!

Very happy
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:10 pm

Apologies if you mentioned it up-thread, but for us slowpokes just thinking about KRT, it would be nice if you mentioned your get-there-and-get-out plan. That seems the biggest hurdle to manage.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:18 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by JohnAx
Apologies if you mentioned it up-thread, but for us slowpokes just thinking about KRT, it would be nice if you mentioned your get-there-and-get-out plan. That seems the biggest hurdle to manage.
Getting there plan (to KRT)
  • we're burning some old BD miles to fly star alliance PER-xJNB-oADD-SEZ (in J of course)
  • and I bought some AV lifemiles in the recent sale, using them plus cash to fly SEZ-xADD-KRT (also in J, also star alliance)
We've decided to spend a few days in KRT before starting the DONE4 (first segments are KRT-xAMM-JFK..; the second segment is the AA codeshare on RJ metal - so that AA RTW desk would ticket it)

On my to-do list is to contact the travel agent in Khartoum (mentioned elsewhere in this thread) - to arrange the necessary letter of introduction which will allow us to get the visa on arrival (Sudan has no embassy in Australia)

I know I will later need to change the itinerary* and so pay the USD125 change fee; at that point I will try to change to first segments to what I really want, which is KRT-xAMM-YUL-JFK...

* I want IKT-DME, but S7 has yet to load its inventory for August 2013; decided to purchase now, just in case the great price disappears

Get out plan (out of KRT at the end of the DONE4)
  • we will arrive back in KRT in early September 2013
  • our current plan is to start another DONE4!
  • this will raise the issue of a turnaround in KRT, unless we decide to stopover again, which we will face up to closer to the day
  • contingency plan, for if the great fare has disappeared, is a 1-way in Y () home to PER, probably with QR
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:21 am

Thanks, PandaPerth! Very interesting and useful for those of us still in the wishful-thinking phase.

I'd rather do a turn than spend time in the region, though. Having gotten more serious I need to go back and review this thread to see how people have managed in that process. Turning around with RJ would be ideal since bags could presumably be left behind in AMM but I'm also trying to build a table of other KRT arrivals; many carriers don't fly daily so for instance I didn't even realize that Ethiopian flew the route.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: Starwood, AA
just booked AONE3 ex-KRT. While speaking with AA RTW desk, the agent mentioned that they've been getting many calls about ex-KRT itineraries and are "aware of the advantageous pricing and are in the process of reviewing it". no idea what it means, but thought i'd pass it on. This was said without any questions from me or without any prompting. As soon as I said "KRT", the agent put me on hold and then came back shortly with the above statement.
so for anyone on the fence, i suggested do it ealier rather than later.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
just booked AONE3 ex-KRT. While speaking with AA RTW desk, the agent mentioned that they've been getting many calls about ex-KRT itineraries and are "aware of the advantageous pricing and are in the process of reviewing it". no idea what it means, but thought i'd pass it on. This was said without any questions from me or without any prompting. As soon as I said "KRT", the agent put me on hold and then came back shortly with the above statement.
My understanding is you can book one of these for ~330 days out with dummy flights for the majority and have 365 days from the first flight to finish, right?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 1:30 pm

I have no idea how quickly the association can move on pricing (thus why would I waste bandwidth by posting?) but given that independent carriers can change pricing in a heartbeat methinks the party's already over. Congratulations to those who got in, and nyanny-nyanny-nyanny to those of us too slow. It's not like we didn't have six months or a year to make up our minds. (That's me I'm yelling at, not you.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.