Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AONE4 from Khartoum

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by TopGunner
KRT-xAMM-xFRA-SYD-MEL-SIN-HND-HKG-JFK-YVR-DFW-LAX-SFO-LHR-AMM-KRT

Fare $3,868 + Taxes $1,972 (Fuel fine of $692, SDEM tax of 386, ADP of 212)

{snip}

Finally, any suggestions for improving? Would have loved to traverse NA more, but kept running into transcon limitation, and a trip to carribean/mexico would have been nice.
Congratulations!

I'd suggest cutting out LAX-SFO, and flying LAX-LHR (on either AA or BA). If you also cut out the last sector (back into KRT) and flew LHR-xxx to end the trip, you'd now have two extra sectors to play with for North America, which should allow you to fly to the Caribbean on AA to some place directly served by JFK or DFW.

Another option would be to fly YVR-LHR, or DFW-LHR, freeing up more sectors. E.g., HKG-JFK-MIA-CUR-MIA-DFW-YVR-LHR-xxx (I'm quite fond of Curaçao). Or maybe HKG-JFK-DFW-CAN-DFW-YVR-LHR-xxx or even HKG-JFK-DFW-CAN-DFW-YVR-DFW-LHR-xxx if you wanted to fly DFW-LHR. The fact that OneWorld considers the Caribbean part of North America (even Curaçao, which is right off the coast of Venezuela) makes it very tempting to include in xONEx fares. On the other hand, since it's domestic two-class AA flights, you'd be in A even on a DONEx, so it's a bit of a waste on an AONEx.

Originally Posted by NDFan
Another useful pointer when you have multiple flights on non-AA airlines, as you do with RTWs, is that if you ask AA (regular phone agents or RTW office) to email you the itinerary, it arrives in a different format from the regular ticketing email. This format includes the following additional info for each segment:
- the type of aircraft
- the flying time
- the terminal that the flight operates to/from
- the booking reference on partner carriers, if it is not the same as the AA Record Locator

This information is helpful so this is the document that I print and carry with me. However, note that it does NOT include the ticket number so you need to either make a note of it on this document, or carry the E-Ticket Confirmation email also.
Useful tip. Also keep in mind that you can look up the itinerary by the PNR on aa.com and it shows you much of this, and there is a "print receipt" button that shows you the e-ticket number.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: I'm working on filling this up..
Originally Posted by NDFan
However, the online tool still fails (as it did last year - there's another thread on this) after inputting my credit card info. So I called the AA RTW office and read off my itinerary to them and told them that it would be ticketed in Canada and should be priced in Canadian Dollars. They then have to send it out for pricing, now done in Dallas since the tariff office in Dublin closed a few months ago; they say it usually takes one day, but it came back a few hours later. Surprisingly, their price, after converting to US$, was about US$200 less than what the online tool was quoting.

I then emailed the record locator and my credit card info to Naeem Thaver at Gala Travels in Ontario. A few hours later it was ticketed and he sent me a confirmation email, and of course you can view it on aa.com. Their fee is CAD75 + tax but it's well worth it for what you save. I booked a DONE4 starting in Khartoum in December this year, but I was so thrilled at the price (US$3512 incl all taxes and fees) that I decided to book an AONE3 to start at the end of the DONE4 in April 2013!
Awesome NDFan ! Thanks.
I'm currently booking a DONE4 with my girlfriend leaving early November ex KRT as well. Your post has been more than useful. Thanks.
Seeing the price we were thinking of getting an AONE4 after that as well Is it worth getting now and not in a year ?

I live in Paris France, do you think I should through Canada as well ? (exchange rate is pretty good too)

I'll update here if I learn anything new in the process of buying the ticket.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 5:42 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by Montebello
Seeing the price we were thinking of getting an AONE4 after that as well Is it worth getting now and not in a year ?

I live in Paris France, do you think I should through Canada as well ? (exchange rate is pretty good too)
Buy it as soon as possible. The fares can change with little or no notice. BKK used to sell a DONE4 for around $7000 - then it went up by several thousand. As soon as the volume of tickets originating Sudan changes dramatically, I'd be confident that OW will close off this deal.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Montebello
I would definitely book now, as we never know when the price will change. And these prices are outstanding. Remember that if you have to cancel prior to first flight, you can get a full refund less 5% (A or D class) or 10% (L class).

You will have to pay through Canada to get those prices, unless you can find a ticketing agent in Khartoum. If you pay in Paris, you will pay the (much higher) European price.

I'll update here if I learn anything new in the process of buying the ticket.
Please do - we all benefit from other people's experiences. Your experience entering Sudan, and in Khartoum, would be welcome too.

Happy Travels.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 5:57 am

Thanks a lot NDFan.
I'll keep you guys posted.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:04 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, DL PLT, UA 1P, SPG Gold
Question

I am very close to booking the AONE4 ex Khartoum but with the current political situation and US recalling the embassy staff from Sudan I am a bit concerned.

What are your thoughts? Will it affect your travel plans??
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by iridge
I am very close to booking the AONE4 ex Khartoum but with the current political situation and US recalling the embassy staff from Sudan I am a bit concerned.

Depends when you plan to travel. If it's in the next few days, you should monitor the ongoing situation carefully. If it's a few weeks/months from now, I wouldn't worry; who knows if/when something will trigger unrest in which country next.

Happy Travels.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:22 am

Well, look at the good side - perhaps we'll be spared that price increase for a while longer. And might meet some interesting diplomatic staff on the outbound leg.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by iridge

I almost booked an ex-KRT AONE* for this month and am really glad I just booked an ex-CMB A fare instead. It's really hard to know how things will change though. For example, last summer I had planned on going to Syria and had decided against visiting Egypt due to the political situation. However, when I actually got to the Middle East I ended up going to Egypt which was then safe for Americans and had to cancel my plans in Syria.

Nonetheless, I would not book any travel to the middle east right now just because everything is so uncertain. Of course, if you end up having to cancel it's only a 5% charge...
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:13 pm

DONE3 ex-KRT -- optimisation ?

Hey guys,
In the end, I chose a DONE3 ex-Khartoum (leaving november 6).
I've probably spent over 30 hours just reading and learning from FlyerTalk this week (I'm new here). I've saved SO much money thanks to you guys ! Thank you so much.

I was wondering if someone could take a look at my itinerary and maybe suggest a way I could optimise anything.
- I'm travelling wife my girlfriend, choosing to spend time in most the cities we stay in.
- Dates starting august 1st are false (since you can only book 330 days in advance)
- I'm booking through AA RTW desk and ticketing through canada (thanks for the tip, already talked with Naeem) -- I live in Paris France.

DONE3 : KRT-xAMM-HKG-PNH/SIN-TYO-xNGO-HNL-LAX-LAS-LAX-SFO/JFK-LHR-xAMM-KRT

Sector 1
From/To: KRT - AMM
Stops: 0
Depart Date: 11/07/2012
Arrive Date: 11/07/2012
Flight No: RJ 511 (operated by Royal Jordanian) Depart Time: 06:25
Arrive Time: 08:15 Booking Class: D

Sector 2
From/To: AMM - HKG
Stops: 1
Depart Date: 11/08/2012
Arrive Date: 11/08/2012
Flight No: RJ 182 (operated by Royal Jordanian) Depart Time: 01:05
Arrive Time: 19:00 Booking Class: D

Sector 3
From/To: HKG - PNH
Depart Date: 12/16/2012
Arrive Date: 12/16/2012
Flight No: KA 208 (operated by Dragonair) Depart Time: 08:55
Arrive Time: 10:30 Booking Class: D

Sector4
Other means or transportation chosen for this leg of your itinerary From/To: PNH, KH - SIN, SG
-> we'll take a low cost back to Singapour and interrupt the journey one month with 3 weeks in Paris France (sister's first baby) -- way to get EQM/EQPs on AA ?

Sector 5
From/To: SIN - TYO
Depart Date: 04/16/2013
Arrive Date: 04/16/2013
Flight No: JL 710 (operated by JAL) Depart Time: 01:40
Arrive Time: 09:25 Booking Class: D
Sector 6
From/To: TYO - HNL
Via: NGO
Depart Date: 06/01/2013
Arrive Date: 06/01/2013
Flight No: JL 3087/JL 0794 (operated by JAL) Depart Time: 18:25
Arrive Time: 11:05 Booking Class: J/D

Sector 7
From/To: HNL - LAS
Via: LAX
Depart Date: 06/10/2013
Arrive Date: 06/10/2013
Flight No: AA 270/AA 0752 (operated by American Airlines) Depart Time: 07:25
Arrive Time: 19:00 Booking Class: A/A
-> partyyyy

Sector 8
From/To: LAS - SFO
Via: LAX
Depart Date: 06/13/2013
Arrive Date: 06/13/2013
Flight No: AA 793/AA 1936 (operated by American Airlines) Depart Time: 10:15
Arrive Time: 13:30 Booking Class: A/A

Sector9
Other means or transportation chosen for this leg of your itinerary From/To: SFO, US - NYC, US
-> buy car / drive from San Fran to NY / sell car.(month and a half)

Sector 10
From/To: NYC - PAR
Depart Date: 08/05/2013
Arrive Date: 08/06/2013
Flight No: AA 120 (operated by American Airlines) Depart Time: 20:45
Arrive Time: 10:35 Booking Class: D

Sector 11
From/To: PAR - KRT
Via: AMM
Depart Date: 08/07/2013
Arrive Date: 08/08/2013
Flight No: RJ 118/RJ 0510 (operated by Royal Jordanian) Depart Time: 12:15
Arrive Time: 04:00 Booking Class: D/D
-> back to KRT in october 2013. (and a new RTW Ticket starts

Final price on online tool :
$2410 + $868.83 (taxe) = $3 278.83
(I'll add to that a 560€ ($728) one way ticket to CDG-KRT

What do you think ? (We'll both be signing up for AAdvantage)
Would love your input in you see potential improvements. (plan to buy in 24 hours tops)

I'll post updates about how it goes with ticketing and the specifics through Kartoum.

Thanks a lot !
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
I debated an ex-KRT for a 2013 status run, but chickened out and went with ex-JNB DONE4. This was before the successful reports of people who've managed to get the airport entry permit and so forth. If the ex-KRT prices hold, I may go for it for a 2014 status run and try to do a same-day turn in KRT to start it. I guess February would be the earliest I could book it (assuming a 1/1/14 start). I'm still nervous about problems entering and transiting, being an American, having Israeli stamps in my passport, etc., as well as making the same-day turn work.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA Now dirt, BA Silver soon dirt EX NW IGE. EX BA Gold EX AA EXP x9. SQ Gold
Middle East unrest

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
I almost booked an ex-KRT AONE* for this month and am really glad I just booked an ex-CMB A fare instead. It's really hard to know how things will change though. For example, last summer I had planned on going to Syria and had decided against visiting Egypt due to the political situation. However, when I actually got to the Middle East I ended up going to Egypt which was then safe for Americans and had to cancel my plans in Syria.

Nonetheless, I would not book any travel to the middle east right now just because everything is so uncertain. Of course, if you end up having to cancel it's only a 5% charge...
Where and when to travel in the Middle East safely is hard to call.

I too transited Egypt after the uprising before order was restored. The people involved in the tourism business: Taxi cab drivers, desk clerks, tour guides and every one who makes their living from tourism were very very protective of us and went out of their way to welcome us.

We have also traveled extensively in Libya. The people were very friendly and helpful, but there was also a noticeable police presence. However, I would not travel to Libya now, there are too many people running around with guns and mortars.

A close friend transited Saudi Arabia some years ago. I will never bring my wife through there. These folks are suppose to be friendly to us, but his wife was rudely treated and both were detained and almost missed their flight (yes his wife was conservately dressed and kept to her self)

I have been considering Sudan for an RTW starting point because it is cheap. I still question the hassle of transit VS money saved. I do not know if I would go to that part of the world (except Egypt) with an Israeli stamp in my passport.

I think a transit through the airport may be ok for an American, but I do not know if I would exit the airport.

I am still planning an AONE3 or AONE4 from KRT, but I think I will wait until 2013. I will first go without my wife.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by anabolism
I debated an ex-KRT for a 2013 status run, but chickened out and went with ex-JNB DONE4. This was before the successful reports of people who've managed to get the airport entry permit and so forth. If the ex-KRT prices hold, I may go for it for a 2014 status run and try to do a same-day turn in KRT to start it. I guess February would be the earliest I could book it (assuming a 1/1/14 start). I'm still nervous about problems entering and transiting, being an American, having Israeli stamps in my passport, etc., as well as making the same-day turn work.
From the US State Department website:
The Government of Sudan routinely denies entry visas to travelers whose passports contain visas issued by the Government of Israel or other evidence of travel to Israel, such as exit or entry stamps.
From the Sudan Embassy website(US):
Passport (must be valid for at least six (6) months and should not have Israeli Visas of Immigration stamps affixed to it).
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
From the US State Department website:

From the Sudan Embassy website(US):
Does Israel no longer issue arrival/departure stamps on sheets that can be separated from the passport? I suppose that's ancient history due to security issues...
Old Sep 21, 2012, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by JohnAx
Does Israel no longer issue arrival/departure stamps on sheets that can be separated from the passport? I suppose that's ancient history due to security issues...
You have (or had) to ask for that. Some don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.