Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AONE4 from Khartoum

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2012, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
I can answer part of my own question. Sudan is actually in Europe according to the oneworld website.
That's an interesting heads-up. A lot of talk about AONE4's in the thread made me think Africa was involved.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by deepbluesky
Update: made it safe and sound with no problems at all. ... The trick is to arrange an "airport entry permit" -- in advance -- instead of a visa. This then allows you to get a visa on arrival, regardless of nationality, and with only a short wait when you get there. ... Anyway, it took a while to make it happen, but I'm glad it worked out. If anyone has any questions, I'm happy to help if I can.
Based on your experience, how smoothly do you think that it would go to start an xONEx from KRT without actually entering the country, -- just arriving and leaving, say, from and to LHR? Can you use an "airport entry permit" to get there, but then just not go through immigration?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: *Alliance, OneWorld
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Based on your experience, how smoothly do you think that it would go to start an xONEx from KRT without actually entering the country, -- just arriving and leaving, say, from and to LHR? Can you use an "airport entry permit" to get there, but then just not go through immigration?
I think it would go relatively smoothly. The issues are:

1) Very limited RJ flight times on the only OneWorld flight (approx. 6:30am departure)

2) You'd probably have to pay the same amount of money in terms of arranging the permit whether you stayed or transited -- so might as well stay a day or two.

Of course, if you don't care about seeing Khartoum and don't mind hanging out in the terminal all night (very limited facilities), you could probably arrive late at night and begin the xONEx in the early a.m.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
deepbluesky,

congratulations. KRT is still on my list - and looks like I will try later this year.
How did you buy the ticket? Did you take stacks of cash to KRT or did you dinf a better way?
Sorry, I missed this question earlier. I bought the ticket through AA in advance, not in KRT itself. Due to sanctions, most credit cards aren't usable anywhere in Sudan... so that would indeed be a lot of cash to carry!
Old Apr 6, 2012, 11:55 am

Deleted.

Last edited by ThomasBne; Apr 19, 2018 at 10:53 am
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:46 pm

Sorry, I missed this question earlier. I bought the ticket through AA in advance, not in KRT itself. Due to sanctions, most credit cards aren't usable anywhere in Sudan... so that would indeed be a lot of cash to carry!
Did you buy the tix from AA in Canada? According to EF, the amount for xONEx in $C is less than $US, even though the 2 currencies are roughly the same vlaue.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:58 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by johnyip
Can any of you give me a rough estimate of the cost of base fare/tax/surcharges of an ex-KRT AONE4 on BA ticket stock??? Is it actually a few grand lower than ex-Saudi Arabia? Cheers.
Base fares:

AONE4 Ex-RUH: USD 9089
AONE4 Ex-KRT: USD 7584

Taxes and fees will be entirely dependent on the routing and choice of carriers. Since RJ is the only OW carrier serving KRT, if you use the online booking tool the ticket would be issued by American Airlines, which does so on behalf of RJ for online bookings. Having the ticket issued on BA stock would mean BA does the issuing, which would also mean that you'd be charged BA-imposed fuel surcharges for the entire itinerary.

As a rough rule of thumb, on itineraries I've recently priced using RJ for the first segment (e.g. ex-AMM, for example AMM-ORD-XXX) fees and taxes for a DONE3 have totaled around 10% of the base fare, i.e. around $600 on a ticket costing $6200.

For similar itineraries originating in TLV (same base price) but where BA was the first segment, and therefore the issuer (e.g. TLV-LHR-XXX) the taxes and fees have been more than twice that, right around 20% of the base fare. Of course stopovers in high-tax locations, like LHR, will only add to the total.

So I would say that asking for an ex-KRT trip on BA ticket stock will go a long way to reducing the cost advantage created by KRT in the first place.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 9:26 am

Deleted.

Old Apr 8, 2012, 1:16 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Is it possible to book a AONE3 Ex-KHARTOUM with the following routing:

KRT-AMM-DXB-LHR-MIA-LAX-SFO-NRT-HKG-LHR-AUH.

as KRT is in the same region as LHR and DXB would the above routing qualify the ticket to be AONE3 ?
Old Apr 8, 2012, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by headinclouds
Did you buy the tix from AA in Canada? According to EF, the amount for xONEx in $C is less than $US, even though the 2 currencies are roughly the same vlaue.
Set up through AA RTW desk and purchased through them with the Canada pricing (not physically in Canada). There is a trick to this part -- if anyone is in the situation of needing to do it imminently, PM or email me for more details.

Everything went well and my AONE4 is now paused for a while. Looking forward to the LAX-MEL and SYD-HKG flights later in the year.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:08 pm

Set up through AA RTW desk and purchased through them with the Canada pricing (not physically in Canada). There is a trick to this part -- if anyone is in the situation of needing to do it imminently, PM or email me for more details.
I can attest that deepbluesky's trick is awesome. ^
Old Apr 16, 2012, 7:44 pm

Deleted.

Old Apr 16, 2012, 9:37 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by johnyip
Seems like the perfect place to ask this questions... If I purchase a ex-KRT AONE4 and I want to add LHR-DME-LHR in first I recall reading there's a US$750 per sector surcharge. Do you get a currency advantage buying an ex-KRT fare (in my case through AA RTW desk or via Canadian TA) for these extra sectors or is it literally US$750 a pop?

Also, does this mean you are allowed to go above 16 segments? If so, does that force you onto a paper ticket?

Cheers!
I presume you are asking about the ability to purchase extra flight segments in a continent, over and above the allowed number of free flight segments (four in all continents except Nth America where six free flight segments are allowed)
  1. You cannot purchase additional flight segments in the continent of origin
  2. An additional first class segment costs USD750, no matter where and in what currency you purchase the ticket
  3. You cannot go above 16 segments in total, even when purchasing additional segments
See rule 4(h)
Old Apr 16, 2012, 9:55 pm

Deleted.

Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I think it would go relatively smoothly.
Is there enough time to arrive KRT on the inbound RJ ex-AMM and then turn right around and return to AMM on the same a/c? I think that the schedule shows something like 1:30 on the ground. That's technically not a TWOV, -- would KRT authorities allow it? I'm looking at an August, 2012 start if I do this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.