Wiki Posts
Search

AONE4 from Khartoum

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Is there enough time to arrive KRT on the inbound RJ ex-AMM and then turn right around and return to AMM on the same a/c? I think that the schedule shows something like 1:30 on the ground. That's technically not a TWOV, -- would KRT authorities allow it? I'm looking at an August, 2012 start if I do this.
From what others posted, and RJ, this is not a TWOV, since you're not transitting. I would personally not chance on this. KRT does not seem to be a place to ask for favors late night/very early morning
Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Is there enough time to arrive KRT on the inbound RJ ex-AMM and then turn right around and return to AMM on the same a/c? I think that the schedule shows something like 1:30 on the ground. That's technically not a TWOV, -- would KRT authorities allow it? I'm looking at an August, 2012 start if I do this.
Originally Posted by onobond
From what others posted, and RJ, this is not a TWOV, since you're not transitting. I would personally not chance on this. KRT does not seem to be a place to ask for favors late night/very early morning
From what deepbluesky posted upthread, it sounds like this is doable with an "airport entry permit" (see post #160) although deepbluesky actually used the "airport entry permit" to enter the airport and apply for an entry visa on the spot, to stay in the country for a few days before starting the AONE4.

So far, I'm not aware of any reports of anyone using an "airport entry permit" to enter and depart, but it sounds doable.

BTW, here is a report I found of someone using the "airport entry permit" to enter and get a visa on the spot, for $150 USD cash at the airport.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
...snip...

BTW, here is a report I found of someone using the "airport entry permit" to enter and get a visa on the spot, for $150 USD cash at the airport.
Thanks, interesting piece. I suppose finding the right TA is a bit of a chore.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
From what deepbluesky posted upthread, it sounds like this is doable with an "airport entry permit" (see post #160) although deepbluesky actually used the "airport entry permit" to enter the airport and apply for an entry visa on the spot, to stay in the country for a few days before starting the AONE4.

So far, I'm not aware of any reports of anyone using an "airport entry permit" to enter and depart, but it sounds doable.

Uh, you do know that this link is to a report by deepbluesky and not a different person?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by JohnAx
Thanks, interesting piece. I suppose finding the right TA is a bit of a chore.
I think deepbluesky had info on the agent he used to obtain the airport entry permit.

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Uh, you do know that this link is to a report by deepbluesky and not a different person?
I suspected, but didn't know. Thanks.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K

Thanks for the link.

I checked into a guesthouse run by German expats and stumbled into bed in the middle of the night, still excited from having finally made it to Khartoum. The next morning I set off on a city tour, partially guided by a driver named Abdullah. As I have seen over and over on my travels, I encountered only hospitality from the people I met. It reminded me of visiting the autonomous region of Kurdistan, which is either part of Iraq, part of Turkey, or completely independent, depending on who you ask. Before I went I was somewhat apprehensive, but after getting there I felt nothing but welcome.
After reading this I feel a lot more like visiting Sudan. I have never seen better hospitality or felt more welcome than in Kurdistan. Hmm...
Old Apr 25, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, KF Gold/PPS
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
Thanks for the link.

After reading this I feel a lot more like visiting Sudan. I have never seen better hospitality or felt more welcome than in Kurdistan. Hmm...
I would like to visit too, but I'd steer clear for now considering there's a war going on.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: GGL
base fare now3872 USD

Unbelievable - using the online tool the base fare for an AONE4 is now 3872USD.
Small disadvantage: the taxes are higher than ever - 2200USD in my case (without stopover in London:-)
Old Jul 29, 2012, 1:03 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Nasenrudel
Small disadvantage: the taxes are higher than ever - 2200USD in my case (without stopover in London:-)
The fare in SDG is unchanged at 20,400 for an AONE4
What has changed is the SDG/USD exchange rate - from xe.com is appears that on 3 July the currency collapsed from 2.67SDG per USD to 4.42SDG per USD
Old Aug 1, 2012, 11:46 pm

Presumably the $2200 is mostly what the airlines usually call a "fuel surcharge". Given the common assumption that only governments can impose taxes, it's not a tax. Nor is it a fuel surcharge, but rather a de facto component of the basic fare, set by the carrier.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Now dirt, BA Silver soon dirt EX NW IGE. EX BA Gold EX AA EXP x9. SQ Gold
What routing did you use? Where are your stop overs? What carrier did you book for your first OB trip? All of the above will have an effect of the taxes/fuel surcharges. It seems as if $2200. is on the high side for RTW taxes. I believe my last AONE4 from JNB, was about $1000- $1200. in Tax/Fuel surcharge including the highway robbery taxes in London of $287. ( Priced out by AA, Mind pearl, in CPT) ( I will look for the exact quote for the Aone4 to check the taxes and surcharges)
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:26 am

Since AA has fallen in cahoots with BA re surcharges (on some routes) it's harder to get a cheap ride. A trip that begins KRT-AMM-MAD-JFK attracts about $450 in charges, including about USD120 for a Sudan stamp, $175 to AA for "YR", $30 or so at Madrid, $80 to get through AMM, about $50 for various U.S. arrival fees. And so it goes around the world...

Edit: those numbers were for economy, with an AA flight number on the TATL, and for whatever reason the construction didn't attract anything from RJ. A calculation for biz flights and TATL on IB adds another $200 in YR/YQ from RJ, and $300 into IB's coffers. So the $2200 is starting to seem cheap.

Last edited by JohnAx; Aug 2, 2012 at 11:37 am Reason: add info
Old Aug 3, 2012, 4:33 am

Programs: GGL
The routing was

KRT-AMM-ICN-HKG-SYD-HKG-LAX-DFW-ANC-DFW-LAX-JFK-BGI-JFK-LHR-AMM-KRT (early summer 2013)

I have now reduced it to an AONE 3 itinerary (have to go to MIA)

KRT-AMM-LHR-HKG-ICN-HKG-BOM-HKG-LAX-JFK-BGI-JFK-MIA-IAH-LHR-AMM-KRT (early summer 2013).

The online tool calculated taxes of 974USD which is really good but unfortunately the bug the prevents the final step of the booking process still exists. I asked RJ for a quote and their taxes for the same itinerary came back as 1550EUR!! = more than twice the amount - all of it for additional fuel surcharges…..

Very frustrating… Not sure what to do now - the price in CAD is still quiet a bit higher than in EUR/USD
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:47 am

The routing was

KRT-AMM-ICN-HKG-SYD-HKG-LAX-DFW-ANC-DFW-LAX-JFK-BGI-JFK-LHR-AMM-KRT (early summer 2013)

I have now reduced it to an AONE 3 itinerary (have to go to MIA)

KRT-AMM-LHR-HKG-ICN-HKG-BOM-HKG-LAX-JFK-BGI-JFK-MIA-IAH-LHR-AMM-KRT (early summer 2013).

The online tool calculated taxes of 974USD which is really good but unfortunately the bug the prevents the final step of the booking process still exists. I asked RJ for a quote and their taxes for the same itinerary came back as 1550EUR!! = more than twice the amount - all of it for additional fuel surcharges…..

Very frustrating… Not sure what to do now - the price in CAD is still quiet a bit higher than in EUR/USD
If you give the route to ITA (and select the class you're flying) it will give you a list of every tax, fee, and charge for every segment. I can't see why these would be different when the segments are flown as an RTW.

A stab at it comes up with these charges converted to USD. Business class or higher. Trip begins in June and everything was probably considered a stop-over, since I spaced days to avoid thinking about them. ITA made me do six segments max, hence the groups

KRT to BOM:
$861.69 Sudan Stamp Tax (SD)
$149.06 (YR)
$5.25 RJ YQ surcharge (YQ)
$6.81 Sudan Passenger Service Charge (NY)
$602.68 BA YQ surcharge (YQ)
$6.62 Jordan Civil Aviation Transfer Fee (KJ)
$265.82 United Kingdom Air Passengers Duty (GB)
$55.27 United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge (UB)
$31.91 Hong Kong Departure Tax (HK)
$157.24 CX YR surcharge (YR)
$25.10 Rep. of Korea Intl. PSC, Dep. Tax (BP)

$2,167.45 sum for these six (reduce APD if LHR is a transit)

BOM-HKG (forgot it in the groups of six)
$80.24 Indian Service Tax (JN
$124.42 CX YR surcharge (YR
$4.18 Indian Passenger Service Fee (WO
$12.11 Indian Development Fee (YM

$220.95 sum for BOM-HKG)

HKG to IAH
$10.06 USDA APHIS Fee (XA)
$14.18 US Immigration Fee (XY)
$11.09 US Customs Fee (YC)
$33.53 US International Arrival Tax (US)
$125.46 AA YR surcharge (YR)
$15.47 Hong Kong Departure Tax (HK)
$15.47 US September 11th Security Fee (AY)
$1.55 Barbados Airport Facilitation Fee (DI)
$16.76 US International Departure Tax (US)
$4.51 US Passenger Facility Charge (XF)
$27.72 Barbados Passenger Service Charge (JG)
$2.58 Barbados Security Fee (JH)

$278.39 sum for HKG to IAH

IAD* TO KRT
$300.00 AA YR surcharge (YR)
$4.00 Toronto Airport Improvement Fee (SQ)
$0.50 Canadian Harmonized Sales Tax (ON) (RC)
$16.70 US International Departure Tax (US)
$5.00 US September 11th Security Fee (AY)
$7.50 US Passenger Facility Charge (XF)
$26.90 Cyprus Airport Service Charge (CY)
$0.60 Cyprus Passenger Service Charge (JX)
$2.40 Cyprus International Passenger Terminal Facilities Charge (JW)
$210.50 United Kingdom Air Passengers Duty (GB)
$38.60 United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge (UB)
$0.60 Cyprus Passenger Service Charge (JX)
$56.50 Jordan Embarkation Tax (HQ)
$8.50 Jordan Passenger Terminal Use Fee (NH)
$678.30 sum for IAD to KRT

This last group meanders a bit and the IAH confused me, as ITA didn't find a direct route. Maybe day specific.

That all adds up to $3,345.10, half again higher than the Eu1550 you mentioned. The Sudan Stamp Tax and BA's YQ in the first group look suspicious, and of course transiting LHR will save perhaps $300.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:22 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by JohnAx
If you give the route to ITA (and select the class you're flying) it will give you a list of every tax, fee, and charge for every segment. I can't see why these would be different when the segments are flown as an RTW.
Some airlines do not charge YQ / YR when you have some other airlines' segements on their TKTs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.