Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AONE4 from Khartoum

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2011, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by moa999
Novos,
Welcome. First thing to work out is can you get a Sudan visa easily (has put off most of us here who are not quite willing to risk a denied boarding before attempting a transit without visa).
I recently started a DONE4 from KRT, and did a TWOV from SHJ. I was going to use FZ but they retimed their flight so that it was over six hours from the RJ flight leaving KRT.

In any case, check-in at SHJ was fine after the agent consulted with a supervisor who in turn had to call in for an answer. Upon arriving at KRT I was told to wait in the immigration hall until the RJ check-in was open, at which point airport staff led me to the check-in desk and back again.

So it works as advertised but it definitely isn't for the faint-hearted.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:28 am

2old4coach, moa999, pandaperth - thanks for help.

First of all, my above route is definitly AONE5, so i did some changes - remove HKG as connection point and choose direct flight SYD-JNB in "A" (thanks God fo QF!). It's dramatically lowers the price of the route - now it only 7 612 (fare) + 2 050 (taxes) = 9 662 USD.

Getting Sudanese Visa, according to forums, don't looks like big problem for Russians, so it can be done.

Ok, i think the route is quite fine for me. When is the optimal time to buy it (not too early and not too late), if i want to start 1st jan 2013?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Novos

First of all, my above route is definitly AONE5, so i did some changes - remove HKG as connection point and choose direct flight SYD-JNB in "A" (thanks God fo QF!). It's dramatically lowers the price of the route - now it only 7 612 (fare) + 2 050 (taxes) = 9 662 USD.

Getting Sudanese Visa, according to forums, don't looks like big problem for Russians, so it can be done.

Ok, i think the route is quite fine for me. When is the optimal time to buy it (not too early and not too late), if i want to start 1st jan 2013?
Ticket validity is from first flight, not purchase date, so factors might be currency variations (unknown?), price increases (certain?), OW membership changes (afaik locked in at purchase), route changes (QF may not even exist in 2013, and there may be other route changes that might make you wish you'd waited). If you book before schedules are posted you'll have to leave segments 'open'. What are the cancellation terms? Used to be no charge before departure, but of course that would subject you to re-purchase under new prices/rules so not usually an option.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Now dirt, BA Silver soon dirt EX NW IGE. EX BA Gold EX AA EXP x9. SQ Gold
Originally Posted by Novos

Glad it worked out!

Keep an Eye the QF SYD-JNB aircraft changes. It sometimes changes to a 2 (3) class config. with no F (A). The EZE-SYD QF flight has also been withdrawn. Keep an eye on QF for many route changes may be made next year.

Let us know how it works out!
Thanks to TUAPHI we know Sudan works for RTW.
It sure saves a lot of money.

There are many more routings that have more first class service, but that routing much of the First class has been downgraded.

Moa999 also mentioned:"5. change in price will be limited to fuel fines and UK APD (if only transiting LHR this will save a bit). fuel fines governed by ticketing carrier. AA may be cheaper"

He is spot on about that. I have had CX charge more that $1000 usd than AA for the same Aone4
Old Nov 15, 2011, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by tauphi
So it works as advertised but it definitely isn't for the faint-hearted.
Sounds as though everything went swimmingly. Whaddya mean?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Sounds as though everything went swimmingly. Whaddya mean?
Well if you like hanging around in immigration halls in countries like Sudan, then sure it will be just lovely

Actually, as the new airport in Khartoum is supposed to open next year, the transit environment may well improve. Although I'm not sure whether I would do the TWOV again myself (the AA agent I got refused to terminate my ticket in DXB) so I may just throw away the last segment.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 6:33 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
(the AA agent I got refused to terminate my ticket in DXB)
What reason was given for the refusal?
Was is that SUdan is not regarded as part of the Middle East?
(the on-line tool appears to allow an itinerary that starts in Sudan to end anywhere in the Middle East - so it at least thinks Sudan is part of the Middle East - but when I did my high school geography it was regarded as part of Africa)
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by pandaperth
(the on-line tool appears to allow an itinerary that starts in Sudan to end anywhere in the Middle East - so it at least thinks Sudan is part of the Middle East - but when I did my high school geography it was regarded as part of Africa)
More important, that OneWorld RTW description says, that:
oneworld Explorer regions are defined as:

Europe and Middle East, including Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Egypt, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, Russia both east and west of the Urals, Sudan, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Yemen.
So, there is another geography for aviation Or, at least, it can be read this way.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by pandaperth
Exactly. I was tired and didn't want to argue or call back.

Indeed the online tool allows terminating in DXB but I wasn't able to get it to work outside of Canada as it fails right after you hit the page with the credit card details.

I have a theory that somehow the error is dependent on your source IP address. So if anybody within Canada can let us know that they too are affected with the online ticketing problem for these itineraries that would be really useful.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 11:44 am

Exactly. I was tired and didn't want to argue or call back.

Indeed the online tool allows terminating in DXB but I wasn't able to get it to work outside of Canada as it fails right after you hit the page with the credit card details.

I have a theory that somehow the error is dependent on your source IP address. So if anybody within Canada can let us know that they too are affected with the online ticketing problem for these itineraries that would be really useful.
As has probably been mentioned elsewhere one can use the open-source project Tor and the associated host of proxies to adopt an IP practically anyplace in the world. Doesn't do much for the credit card billing address, though.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by JohnAx
As has probably been mentioned elsewhere one can use the open-source project Tor and the associated host of proxies to adopt an IP practically anyplace in the world. Doesn't do much for the credit card billing address, though.
I don't think the billing address matters. I've successfully booked one of these tickets using the online tool while I was in Canada with a non-Canadian card and billing address. The same itinerary failed with errors before/after my Canadian trip.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:02 am

I don't think the billing address matters. I've successfully booked one of these tickets using the online tool while I was in Canada with a non-Canadian card and billing address. The same itinerary failed with errors before/after my Canadian trip.
One probably needs a better booking agency for that - I tried to buy ex-Europe BA tix at the UK price on aa.com and all worked well until the c/c details when the computer chided me to provide a card with a uk address.

I probably need a less critical place to buy tix, but the airlines seem to be working aggressively to drive traffic to their own web sites by making agency-sold seats second-class merchandise - seat selection, olci, flight notifications, ticket changes can be threatened.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
If Khartoum is part of the Europe, Middle East region, why the OW RTW booking tool always enforce the AONE4 fare for an itinerary that does not go out of the 3 regions of MEand Europe and North america and Asia ?

Example: KRT-AMM-DXB-LHR-YYZ-HKG-LHR-RUH

So from above I still in the range of 3 continents but the computer is quoting me the 4 continents fare

How to solve this issue ???
Old Nov 25, 2011, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
If Khartoum is part of the Europe, Middle East region, why the OW RTW booking tool always enforce the AONE4 fare for an itinerary that does not go out of the 3 regions of MEand Europe and North america and Asia ?

Example: KRT-AMM-DXB-LHR-YYZ-HKG-LHR-RUH

So from above I still in the range of 3 continents but the computer is quoting me the 4 continents fare

How to solve this issue ???
I don't know what they'll tell you but lacking a more informed response you should simply present your route to one of the better airline rtw desks (e.g. American Airline's)
Old Nov 26, 2011, 1:18 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by JohnAx
I don't know what they'll tell you but lacking a more informed response you should simply present your route to one of the better airline rtw desks (e.g. American Airline's)
Is there a dedicated number at AA with experienced staff who are well informed of all the rules and save me time in explaining that KRT is in the EuropeMiddleEast region not in Africa ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.