Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2021, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
For the NZ<---->AU (quarantine free) travel bubble various governmental permissions are needed in a addition to the usual passport/visa

AU permission (for NZ to AU)
AU Govt
In addition State/territory authority may be needed.
What is in effect at any time can be hard to determine. May also be required cross a state border
NZ permission (for AU to NZ)
No states, so a lot simpler.
NZ Govt
Print Wikipost

Trans Tasman Bubble (including the Pacific Islands)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2020, 10:39 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by gratn
For anyone hoping the trans-Tasman bubble may be coming soon, Air NZ is saying they don’t expect it until at least March 2021, if not later.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...ly-until-march
The Australian Government seems more keen than the New Zealand Government. Despite an large amount of the population being over the Covid elimination plan.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...fore-christmas

I see both sides of the Tasman making some noise again about the bubble BEFORE Xmas!!! Hurrah!

I noticed in a Hosking/Ardern interview she said state by state was on the table.

Oz apparently discussed NZ in National Cabinet last week. Maybe starting with South Island into NSW as a one way (up to NZ to reopen the other direction) in a few weeks.

Then the above article aiming for Xmas.

It’s possibly just my social media feed but I get the impression kiwis are pretty scared which is crap as Oz have done really well too (VIC being the outlier but they’ve still done well in other ways).

Apart from politics/elections I can’t see a reason this shouldn’t get up and running in November. It currently makes zero sense for anyone from Australia (except VIC +/- NSW) to pay 3k for hotel isolation into NZ. The transit pax on the TT leg is the only issue. Looking through NZs exemption guidelines if you were on a flight where someone tested positive you’re likely to be declined even for compassionate reasons.

I’ve really admired the NTs hotspot approach especially to NSW and it’s served them well.

Hope kiwis get used to the idea and no idiots try to lie on border declarations. They will chase you down over here! Anyway, I’m hoping the North Island will contain/clear its cases over the next month and NZ can fly as a country to Sydney / ideally Brisbane too.
Old Sep 27, 2020, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
<snip>
Apart from politics/elections I can’t see a reason this shouldn’t get up and running in November. It currently makes zero sense for anyone from Australia (except VIC +/- NSW) to pay 3k for hotel isolation into NZ. The transit pax on the TT leg is the only issue. Looking through NZs exemption guidelines if you were on a flight where someone tested positive you’re likely to be declined even for compassionate reasons.

I’ve really admired the NTs hotspot approach especially to NSW and it’s served them well.

Hope kiwis get used to the idea and no idiots try to lie on border declarations. They will chase you down over here! Anyway, I’m hoping the North Island will contain/clear its cases over the next month and NZ can fly as a country to Sydney / ideally Brisbane too.
19 Oct New Zealand general election
31 Oct Queensland state election
After those dates the situation/attitude of the pollies will miraculously change !
Any and all current comments by politicians (standing for re election) are directed to getting more votes/not losing a vote
Federally AU position has always been open state borders before TT travel
Jacinda has stated needs to be 28 days covid free before a TT bubble

Auckland region, Sydney & south east QLD all have community transmission (very small numbers:-- not zero over XX days)
Melb metro area has a reducing community transmission (under extreme lock down conditions). After lockdown I would expect a very small trend up again (as happened in Sydney, SE QLD & Auckland)

Air NZ has a profitable business in transporting non NZ people across the Tasman from/to their USA, etc flights.
And taking transiting pax ex AU from QR, SQ etc onto NZ.
Air NZ will not want to loose that traffic or put on dedicated flights for those transit pax. (NZ Government owns the majority of Air NZ shares: they are not independent)
I flew MEL-AKL about 2.5 weeks ago. 64 pax on a B787 with about 10 transferring to other Air NZ international flights.
Air Auckland (as people living south of mid North Island know that airline ) are only flying AU to/from AKL. They could fly to/from other NZ airports.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 27, 2020 at 11:06 pm Reason: spelling "Jacinda " and added abc link
Old Sep 27, 2020, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/...fore-christmas

I see both sides of the Tasman making some noise again about the bubble BEFORE Xmas!!! Hurrah!

I noticed in a Hosking/Ardern interview she said state by state was on the table.

Oz apparently discussed NZ in National Cabinet last week. Maybe starting with South Island into NSW as a one way (up to NZ to reopen the other direction) in a few weeks.

Then the above article aiming for Xmas.

It’s possibly just my social media feed but I get the impression kiwis are pretty scared which is crap as Oz have done really well too (VIC being the outlier but they’ve still done well in other ways).

Gladys made a suggestion at today's presser that she is keen to open up to NZ because she wants to not use up resources quarantining returning Kiwis/Australians who are arriving from NZ.

New South Wales will probably have stamped out the Victorian outbreak in the next few weeks. Although the government is saying the threat is still there (and it is) they're actions re stadiums etc suggest that they are comfortable that it is contained at this point. Given WA is flat out refusing to open its border until there is a vaccine regardless of what the situation looks like in other states then it seems like state by state will end up being on the table, or at least all states bar WA open to eachother and NZ.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 4:35 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
19 Oct New Zealand general election
31 Oct Queensland state election
After those dates the situation/attitude of the pollies will miraculously change !
Any and all current comments by politicians (standing for re election) are directed to getting more votes/not losing a vote
Federally AU position has always been open state borders before TT travel
Jacinda has stated needs to be 28 days covid free before a TT bubble

Auckland region, Sydney & south east QLD all have community transmission (very small numbers:-- not zero over XX days)
Melb metro area has a reducing community transmission (under extreme lock down conditions). After lockdown I would expect a very small trend up again (as happened in Sydney, SE QLD & Auckland)

Air NZ has a profitable business in transporting non NZ people across the Tasman from/to their USA, etc flights.
And taking transiting pax ex AU from QR, SQ etc onto NZ.
Air NZ will not want to loose that traffic or put on dedicated flights for those transit pax. (NZ Government owns the majority of Air NZ shares: they are not independent)
I flew MEL-AKL about 2.5 weeks ago. 64 pax on a B787 with about 10 transferring to other Air NZ international flights.
Air Auckland (as people living south of mid North Island know that airline ) are only flying AU to/from AKL. They could fly to/from other NZ airports.
Yeah I noted the elections in various places. I want them to be over. I think one article said any bubble would be after the NZ election? But hey that’s faster than March 2021 which Foran was quoted as expecting.
Feds position has changed and state by state with NZ ok. But it’s really the individual states/territories that seem to have the last say and that’s what’s holding things up. Even SAs CHO said 14 days no community transmission and they’d open to NSW yet QLD CHO says 28 days. Go figure! Pretty sure the NT is aiming to open to SYD around October 9th? It’s very hodgepodge but hey it’s progress so, can’t complain (too much).

AKL, SYD, QLD numbers going well. QLD had no new cases for 15 days or so? Pretty sure they were able to link their cases as well as a result of a Melbourne seeding. At least the last 4 QLD cases were at the border. No one cares about those too much. SYD had one case with unknown link to cluster still under investigation but otherwise it was about 15 days or so without an unlinked case hence SA CHO said open. I’m sure NZ will clear their actives in coming weeks.

I’m not too fussed about Melbourne. I breathed a sigh of relief when NSW closed that border. Basically any uptick is going to be contained. Have to wait and see if Melbourne plugged all its holes and can contain any uptick. Only 9 active cases in regional VIC and metro cases falling away nicely. Outside of aged care/staff/HCW been single digits for general community cases for a wee while.

The bubble can only happen with clean flights. No transit pax (ex-AU onto US is fine). Maybe they can just funnel pax from further abroad onto QR or SQ direct into AKL/CHC. I think the Tasman market will be more important to NZ than those transit pax. They should already have a plan for the Tasman though as it was proposed months ago.

Originally Posted by bensyd
Gladys made a suggestion at today's presser that she is keen to open up to NZ because she wants to not use up resources quarantining returning Kiwis/Australians who are arriving from NZ.

New South Wales will probably have stamped out the Victorian outbreak in the next few weeks. Although the government is saying the threat is still there (and it is) they're actions re stadiums etc suggest that they are comfortable that it is contained at this point. Given WA is flat out refusing to open its border until there is a vaccine regardless of what the situation looks like in other states then it seems like state by state will end up being on the table, or at least all states bar WA open to eachother and NZ.
I didn’t see her presser today but agree it is a waste of a quarantine spot especially when Oz has so many other Aussies to get home from overseas. Also a waste of people’s money who come from Oz to NZ to see a dying relative then return to Oz. I don’t have any concerns over SYD right now. Stellar contact tracing, but that’s what happens when you actually invest in your health system.

WA I’m waiting for Clive Palmers case which is now November. I think he’s a PITA for WA but I hope he wins the border case. Early on expert advice to WA was the risk of opening borders was <1%, this was before Melbourne took off again, so I imagine the risk now is similar to that. I’m not advocating anyone opening to Melbourne just yet. I can’t see NZs nonstop flight to WA returning in a hurry either.

I wonder if early-mid November is a more realistic time frame for a bubble.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I think the realistic timeframe for a bubble (even if it excludes VIC) is when Melbourne meets criteria for it's restrictions to ease.

Even though parts of Australia are very clean, the risk of a Melbourne traveler 'seeding' those places is still probably too high for most countries like NZ. Yes, the VIC border is 'closed' but not to everyone...
Old Sep 28, 2020, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

29 Sep stuff.co.nz ----> Trans-Tasman travel: These are the first Australian states Kiwis could travel to
OPINION:
Just when Christmas across the Tasman looked like a Covid-19 coated pipe dream, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has said “it’s possible” our border could open with Australia on a state-by-state basis.

We need to take it with a relatively large, politically covered, grain of salt.

We're three weeks out from an election, and the tantalising prospect of travel could be worth votes.
<snip>
Western Australia
Chance of travel this year: 6/10
<snip>
Tasmania
Chance of travel this year: 5/10
<snip>
New South Wales
Chance of travel this year: 3/10
<snip>
Queensland
Chance of travel this year: 4/10
<snip>
South Australia
Chance of travel this year: 4/10
<snip>
Victoria
Chance of travel this year: 0/10
<snip>
Usually a lot of TT traffic at Christmas - New Year with people visiting family on both sides of the Tasman
Old Sep 28, 2020, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn’t see her presser today but agree it is a waste of a quarantine spot especially when Oz has so many other Aussies to get home from overseas. Also a waste of people’s money who come from Oz to NZ to see a dying relative then return to Oz. I don’t have any concerns over SYD right now. Stellar contact tracing, but that’s what happens when you actually invest in your health system.

WA I’m waiting for Clive Palmers case which is now November. I think he’s a PITA for WA but I hope he wins the border case. Early on expert advice to WA was the risk of opening borders was <1%, this was before Melbourne took off again, so I imagine the risk now is similar to that. I’m not advocating anyone opening to Melbourne just yet. I can’t see NZs nonstop flight to WA returning in a hurry either.

I wonder if early-mid November is a more realistic time frame for a bubble.
I think CPMaverick is correct that Victoria will need to have its situation under control before NZ will open to NSW. The border is still somewhat porous and there are no restrictions on border region residents on either side visiting other parts of their respective states (with the exception of travel to Melbourne). As a side bar, the border region is enormous. I had no idea how big it was. In the far-west of NSW it extends almost as far north as Wilcannia which is ~350km from the border.

Regarding WA, they won't let residents of Tasmania, the NT and SA enter even though those places have been covid free for months so clearly they're not going to budge unless this ends up in the High Court, which it probably should.

If there is one thing I've learnt about covid it's that once a place is clear of it the residents have no interest in risking reintroducing it. I would expect NSW to follow a similar course and not open to Melbourne, or Victoria more broadly until they are at close to zero cases.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

29 Sep 2020 (news.com.au) ---> Exact date Australia’s borders will reopen to New Zealand revealed
A plan by the federal government and tourism groups to restart Australia’s battered travel sector aims to have state border restrictions lifted by December 1 and a trans-Tasman travel bubble up and running by November.

However, Victoria will likely keep its border shut until early next year.

A tourism task force comprising Tourism Australia, the Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Flight Centre and other industry leaders has outlined its timeline for restarting the country’s ailing tourism industry.

Under its plan, revealed by The Australian, hard state borders would come down by December 1 but Victoria’s border will not reopen until January or February as it continues to recover from its deadly COVID-19 second wave.

New Zealanders would begin travelling to Australia quarantine-free by November, with Sydney likely to be the first port to reopen to Kiwi travellers.

It is then expected Australians will be able to travel to New Zealand without needing to quarantine in January or February.

The task force also wants hotel quarantine caps to be removed by March 1.
<snip>
Would be a little surprised if this happens. Is more pressure from the Au federal governments on the state governments than reality.
The Au hotel cap is a major barrier to entry.
Is a difference between metro Melbourne and regional Victoria. But after the metro lockdown people will be able to travel (car - aircraft)
Old Oct 1, 2020, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From 16 October, Kiwis, who have been in NZ for the past 14 days, will be able to travel to NSW and the NT without quarantining on arrival. The lack of reciprocation by NZ leads me to believe this is being done primarily to reduce the demand for hotel quarantine spots. It seems that for states to qualify they have to accept the Commonwealth hotspot definition (3 cases/day for 3 days). South Australia currently doesn't, which is why it has been excluded.
New Zealanders will be able to travel to NSW and the Northern Territory from October 16, after a trans-Tasman travel bubble arrangement was finalised, Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack said on Friday.

The arrangement will allow New Zealanders who have not been in an area which has recorded more than three cases across three days to travel to the two Australian locations, in what Mr McCormack described as the "first stage" of the arrangement.

"I have just gotten off the phone with [Northern Territory] Chief Minister [Michael] Gunner who says the fish are biting and the beers are cold and he wants to see as many of his New Zealand cousins and friends as possible," Mr McCormack said.

"And I know that NSW is certainly going to welcome this announcement."

The Deputy Prime Minister said he hoped the arrangement would later be extended to all Australian states and territories.

Earlier this week, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said on Adelaide radio it would be South Australia and NSW who would be first in line for New Zealand arrivals.
ETA: Yes, a state does have to accept the Commonwealth's hot spot definition to be allowed to receive arrivals from NZ.
Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack has said any state or territory which agrees to the Commonwealth's hotspot definition will be allowed to enter a trans-Tasman travel bubble with New Zealand.

The first step of the arrangement will see New Zealanders able to fly to NSW and the Northern Territory, provided they have not been in a "hotspot" area, defined as a place which has seen three days of less than three cases.

After the Prime Minister yesterday flagged South Australia would be among the first to take part in the program, Mr McCormack said the southern state "stands ready to participate" when they agree to the hotspot definition.

"I have spoken to Stephen Marshall in the last half hour, they will probably certainly be the next cab off the ranks," he said.

Mr McCormack said the arrangement – which lets New Zealanders enter the country without hotel quarantine – would free up space in NSW's overseas arrivals program, allowing the state to take 325 more returning Australians into hotel quarantine.

Last edited by bensyd; Oct 1, 2020 at 10:04 pm
Old Oct 1, 2020, 11:33 pm

Well that escalated quickly.

Relieves the pressure on quarantine, helps the tourism industry and puts pressure on the states to be more reasonable with internal borders. Good result all round.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AU Federal government putting more pressure on the states. Previously was stated no TT bubble until all state borders open.
So now we will have a one way bubble.

With NZ General election on Sat 17 Oct, not a surprise the NZ Government (Jacinda) will not reciprocate.
Too high a risk if 1 positive Covid-19 case from an Au passenger

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-...tails/12726408

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...742f23833d549e
Old Oct 2, 2020, 6:24 pm
lmk

Location: RSW & HDS (Naples, Florida & Hoedspruit, South Africa); frequently flying via JNB, EWR, IAD, ORD
Programs: UA Platinum, Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Silver, AA
Anyone know if this is only for NZ citizens or whether it is more generally for passengers coming from NZ?

We are traveling on US passports and have been in NZ since February -- would love to visit Sydney & Kakadu if they'll have us!
Old Oct 2, 2020, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lmk
Anyone know if this is only for NZ citizens or whether it is more generally for passengers coming from NZ?

We are traveling on US passports and have been in NZ since February -- would love to visit Sydney & Kakadu if they'll have us!
Nothing I have seen. Will be others like you.
But be careful you do not get stuck in AU when the AU visa expires or are required to go back to USA (as the only viable option). On current NZ restrictions unlikely to be allowed back into NZ. But that may (will?) change after the NZ general election.

Keep looking for an updates in the AU government links bellow. Currently AU is not allowing tourists in. Only those who meet the defined exceptions.
The regulations will need to be changed to allow NZ citizens, and maybe NZ permanent residents, into AU for tourism/work purposes.
https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/
https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/coming-australia
Old Oct 2, 2020, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lmk
Fairly certain if's for residents of New Zealand. In fact I'm almost 100% certain that was mentioned by the transport minister yesterday.

ETA: Here....
Announcing the news, Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack said stage 1 of a travel zone with New Zealand would see one-way quarantine-free travel into NSW and the NT.

"This is the first stage in what we hope to see as a trans-Tasman bubble between the two countries, not just that state and that territory," he said.
"This will allow New Zealanders and other residents in New Zealand who have not been in an area designated as a COVID-19 hotspot in New Zealand in the preceding 14 days to travel quarantine-free."
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-10-...ralia/12726228

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.