Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2021, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
For the NZ<---->AU (quarantine free) travel bubble various governmental permissions are needed in a addition to the usual passport/visa

AU permission (for NZ to AU)
AU Govt
In addition State/territory authority may be needed.
What is in effect at any time can be hard to determine. May also be required cross a state border
NZ permission (for AU to NZ)
No states, so a lot simpler.
NZ Govt
Print Wikipost

Trans Tasman Bubble (including the Pacific Islands)

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
It's not just economic benefits that need to be considered. The government will also be considering the cultural impacts as well. Don't forget there are a large number of Pacific Islanders that live in NZ (in particular, Auckland). For example, I believe that the population of Niueans in Auckland is greater than that of Niue... Not to mention the large numbers of Tongans, Samoans, etc.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 12:57 am

There would be some in both Australia and NZ who has no plans to holiday locally but would consider a holiday trans-tasman (or even pacific) in lieu of a holiday in Europe, Asia, America etc... now closed off for the foreseeable future.
kiwicyclo likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 1:28 am

Programs: RFC
The *only* problem with a Pacific bubble is that the Australians (in actual talks) don't want one.

From the NZ perspective, the various islands have to get themselves to the point where there is no quarantine upon arrival. And the same for NZ: we still have a 14 day quarantine in place for arrivals. Fiji, is currently 28 days, as another example.

A good number of the Pacific Islands want a bubble ASAP and NZ govt wants it too. But there are still some steps to take and the Australians have to be brought on board in agreement. If I were guessing I think the NZ govt might be expecting to be able to get NZ - (Cooks, Fiji, and Samoa) in place by end of July and NZ - Australia by end of August or mid-Sept, assuming there's no secondary wave.

This is all hearsay, btw.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite
An article on Stuff today reiterated the idea that the Pacific Islands would come after Australia. I really wish someone would explain *why* - because I really don't believe Australia has done anything to indicate that an early bubble between us would upset them, given their plans to implement this bubble in the future when they open our TT bubble anyway. If they are upset, then they must have said this privately, because public statements by the Australian PM indicate otherwise.

Perhaps just more realistically its the fact that the government is too busy right now to deal with it.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
An article on Stuff today reiterated the idea that the Pacific Islands would come after Australia. I really wish someone would explain *why* - because I really don't believe Australia has done anything to indicate that an early bubble between us would upset them, given their plans to implement this bubble in the future when they open our TT bubble anyway. If they are upset, then they must have said this privately, because public statements by the Australian PM indicate otherwise.

Perhaps just more realistically its the fact that the government is too busy right now to deal with it.
A couple of possibilities, centered on the NZ recovery and the safety of the Islands:
  • More in it for the NZ economy to open to Australia and get Aussies to NZ, than having Kiwis go to the Islands
  • More in it for NZ business to travel to Aussie, and possibly vv, than having Kiwis go to the Islands
  • More robust and sophisticated border screening systems in place in Australia than in the Islands
  • Australia more resilient and capable at handling an outbreak than should an outbreak occur in the Islands
LETTERBOY, smeags_nz and kiwicyclo like this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 3:42 am

Also even with just NZ and Aussie there are a couple of dozenish organisations involved. Need to get the framework delivered and more parties generally means slower to develop.

Once have the framework I guess Aussie and NZ can just say "like the framework or not be part of the bubble".

Also sooner publish the framework can say to Singapore, Taiwan, etc this is what we have in place want to join? Gives them less leverage to propose one which puts more risks on the risk register. I'm guessing NZ and AU are wanting to mitigate risks opposed to putting them on the risk register and hoping they don't happen.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
A couple of possibilities, centered on the NZ recovery and the safety of the Islands:
  • More in it for the NZ economy to open to Australia and get Aussies to NZ, than having Kiwis go to the Islands
  • More in it for NZ business to travel to Aussie, and possibly vv, than having Kiwis go to the Islands
  • More robust and sophisticated border screening systems in place in Australia than in the Islands
  • Australia more resilient and capable at handling an outbreak than should an outbreak occur in the Islands
This response makes it seem like its one or the other: that we either choose AUS or the Pacific Islands, and thus Australia is the better choice.

Obviously yes, that would be the case.

But no, we aren't choosing.

The Pacific is going to be apart of the bubble, there is no choosing. I was questioning why we are not starting the bubble with the Pacific Islands now. And it seems much more like a logistical thing that I don't know/understand, but do wish I did, because I would be curious
Old Jun 8, 2020, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
This response makes it seem like its one or the other: that we either choose AUS or the Pacific Islands, and thus Australia is the better choice.

Obviously yes, that would be the case.

But no, we aren't choosing.

The Pacific is going to be apart of the bubble, there is no choosing. I was questioning why we are not starting the bubble with the Pacific Islands now. And it seems much more like a logistical thing that I don't know/understand, but do wish I did, because I would be curious
We are choosing the ‘best’ place to start the bubble, and that is Australia (said the PM). I just offered some thoughts why that might be so.

My thoughts certainly didn’t exclude expanding to include the islands when the time is right (however that might be determined)
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 7:38 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Since the Cook Islands hasn't had a single confirmed Covid case, I'd think they'd be a good candidate to be included in a first "wave" if the NZ government chooses a multi-wave approach.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

We are choosing the ‘best’ place to start the bubble, and that is Australia (said the PM). I just offered some thoughts why that might be so.

My thoughts certainly didn’t exclude expanding to include the islands when the time is right (however that might be determined)
If we could start the bubble right now with Australia of the Pacific, would Australia be the best choice? Yes.

But we can't start it with them now, they are still dealing with covid and internal politics. And internal politics has indicated it could be September until everyone is ready. We can only start it with the Pacific.

So there isn't a choice between who. Pointing out Australia is the most important partner us something people keep doing, but to little consequence.

Now it could be, that the economic benefit isn't enough right now for the government to bother, and it will only be enough when Australia enters the fray.

But why people keep pointing out that Australia is more important than the Pacific is confusing to me, that literally isn't the reason, we aren't choosing here and Australia is the better choice...
Old Jun 8, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: NZ*E
That's true Thai Kiwi, and it is the reason why we won't have a Pacific bubble soon. An Australia bubble is better economically for NZ but is incompatible with a Pacific bubble as it will impose risks to the islands that they won't have without the Aussie bubble. We could cope with the occasional Covid outbreak, but the islands can't. A Pacific bubble will aid tourism in the islands but not much here.

I personally don't like it, but that's the way the cookie will probably crumble.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 2:18 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Originally Posted by nzkarit
Also even with just NZ and Aussie there are a couple of dozenish organisations involved. Need to get the framework delivered and more parties generally means slower to develop.

Once have the framework I guess Aussie and NZ can just say "like the framework or not be part of the bubble".

Also sooner publish the framework can say to Singapore, Taiwan, etc this is what we have in place want to join? Gives them less leverage to propose one which puts more risks on the risk register. I'm guessing NZ and AU are wanting to mitigate risks opposed to putting them on the risk register and hoping they don't happen.
It could be a whole lot simpler as well.

1. Government wants NZ peeps to spend $$ here in NZ in the first instance.
2. Election is looming, so there could be good political capital in opening the borders up for travel, when the time is right politically.
3. They actually have no idea what they want or how to get it or how to make it work. As in there is no actual statement or frame work detailed on what it would actually take to open borders. If they come out and said "borders will not open until there is a vaccine, that will take 2 years" then the focus and dialogue will be on creating the vaccine.
4. Do not want to be first cab off the rank in opening borders .. see what happens if others do it first.

Essentially there is no information, or direction being given so no one really knows the reasons.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From the Cook Islands thread (which is straying off topic) --->Cook Islands Travel is back, with an catch.
Link (12:40, Jun 12 2020)----> Coronavirus: Government makes changes to border exemptions
The Government is making changes to its controversial border exemptions.
Key changes include removing the need for partners and dependants of NZ citizens and residents to travel together to return home when they have a relationship-based visa or are ordinarily resident in New Zealand.

The Government has also granted border exemptions to two syndicate teams who will challenge Emirates Team New Zealand for the 36th America’s Cup.

The series of events will conclude with the final match for the America’s Cup being held in Auckland in March 2021.

The move will also allow entry of maritime vessels where there is a compelling need and allow entry for diplomats taking up new posts.

It will also introduce short term and long term criteria for Other Essential Workers requests.
<snip>
Link (17:25, Jun 04 2020)--->Coronavirus: Trans-Tasman travel bubble date down to Australians, Winston Peters says
Deputy Prime Minister Winston Peters says the fate of the trans-Tasman travel bubble lies in Australian hands.

New Zealand is getting protocols and safety measures ready but it is still waiting for a response from the Australian Federal Government, he said.
Peters said the situation was complicated because Australia's Federal Government had the right to determine who arrived in the country, but once they landed, that right goes to whichever state the traveller was going to.

A high-powered group investigating opening up trans-Tasman travel amid the coronavirus pandemic says it hopes to put a proposal to politicians by early June, and get people travelling by the July school holidays.

The ‘Trans-Tasman Safe Border Group’ is made up of 11 government agencies, six airports, two airlines, and includes health experts and airline, airport and border agency representatives from both Australia and New Zealand.

But asked if July was a feasible start date between New Zealand and any part of Australia, Peters said: “Nevertheless, where we are concerned, it depends upon Australia.”
<snip>

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jun 11, 2020 at 6:59 pm
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:00 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by kiwicyclo
1. Government wants NZ peeps to spend $$ here in NZ in the first instance.
Last time that happened in another country, wasn’t that known as the ‘Berlin Wall’.

If Tasman/Pacific travel doesn’t open up soon, NZ will need more that the $900million loan that is currently on the table.

In some sense they currently back to NAC, with little outlook of International travel being an thing over the next 24months.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 8:26 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Last time that happened in another country, wasn’t that known as the ‘Berlin Wall’.

If Tasman/Pacific travel doesn’t open up soon, NZ will need more that the $900million loan that is currently on the table.

In some sense they currently back to NAC, with little outlook of International travel being an thing over the next 24months.
Berlin Wall . . . just like what we have now . . . . . :-P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.