Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand’s response to Covid-19 [was Soft closing of NZ Border]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2022, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

NZ plan to re open (but subject to review on 20 Feb). The main feature is 7-10 days home self isolation until Oct 2022. (unless changed).

The July open date for visa waiver visitors is about 60 countries. But with 7-10 days home self isolation requited few will arrive. The ongoing requirement to self isolate (until Oct?) will not fly. For example someone from AU going for a week’s ski holiday in the NZ winter (July) will need to self isolate for 7-10 days before they hit the slopes. Does the NZ govt really believe anyone will do that? The hotels and airlines lines will not.

In NZ the CV19 response in 75% politics and 25% health [I have spent ~equal time in AU & NZ during the pandemic]. NZ announcements are a stage managed PR showtime. Since late 2021 Cindy only shows if "good news". H3 (Robertson) is rolled out to fight CV19 and PR fires. (some of those have been started by Chipper).

The late vaccination start, late booster roll out, head in sand approach to RAT and late/slow orders of RATS is starting to bite NZ hard. The advantage gained in 2020 has been 100% wasted in 2021. But some in NZ know the world, including AU, is opening and restrictions being eliminated.

NZ Govt links
When New Zealand’s border open
How to self isolate

Key points
  • Border will reopen to vaccinated New Zealand citizens and residents travelling from Australia at 11.59pm 27 February
  • Reopens to New Zealand citizens and residents in the rest of the world on 13 March
  • MIQ removed for most travellers in phased reconnection, replaced by self-isolation and tests on-arrival
  • Unvaccinated travellers, and those who do not meet New Zealand’s vaccination requirements, who are eligible to enter New Zealand will continue to enter MIQ.
  • Five-step plan prioritises returning New Zealanders and brings forward the reopening of key visa categories from 13 March in order to address worker shortages.
  • Further visa categories reopen throughout the year to help accelerate economic recovery
Step 1 — From 11:59pm, 27 February 2022
The following fully vaccinated people can enter New Zealand from Australia and self-isolate upon arrival:
• New Zealand citizens and residents
• Other eligible travellers under current border settings.

Unvaccinated travellers, and those who do not meet New Zealand’s vaccination requirements, who are eligible to enter New Zealand will continue to enter managed isolation and quarantine (MIQ).

Step 2 — From 11:59pm, 13 March 2022
The following fully vaccinated people can enter New Zealand from anywhere in the world and self isolate upon arrival:
  • New Zealand citizens and residents
  • Other eligible travellers under current border settings.
  • Skilled workers earning at least 1.5x the median wage.
  • Travellers on a working holiday scheme.
  • Partners and dependent children of New Zealand citizens and residents, provided they meet the usual visa and vaccination requirements. A family group does not need to travel to New Zealand together.
Unvaccinated travellers, and those who do not meet New Zealand’s vaccination requirements, who are eligible to enter New Zealand will continue to enter MIQ.

Step 3 — From 11:59pm, 12 April 2022
The following fully vaccinated people can enter New Zealand from anywhere in the world and self isolate upon arrival:
• Current offshore temporary visa holders with a valid visa who can still meet their visa requirements.
• Up to 5,000 international students for semester 2

Step 4 — July 2022
The following fully vaccinated people can enter New Zealand and self-isolate upon arrival:
  • All travellers from Australia.
  • Visitors from countries who do not need a visa (visa waiver visitors)
  • Travellers arriving under the Accredited Employer Work Visa categories.

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...iver-countries
https://www.immigration.govt.nz/empl...-and-work-visa

Step 5 — October 2022
All visa categories will reopen in October 2022, including visitor and student visas.
<snip>
Sad times for NZ and the tourist industry. (Going, gooing gooone??)
AU (other than WA) may be fully open, with no restrictions, before Easter (mid April)

NZ news reports
ABC.net.au Jacinda Ardern announces new plan to open NZ to the world
NZ Herald Self-isolation rules could dissuade airlines from flying to NZ – BARNZ
<snip>
BARNZ executive director Justin Tighe-Umbers said that some airlines had already stopped flying to New Zealand and more could follow
<snip>
"The airlines have told me they want to fly here, but they need to know New Zealand is open to business. Leisure and business travellers will not come if they have to self-isolate for days – it's a market killer."

Tighe-Umbers said the loss of international tourism had hit the New Zealand economy hard over the past two years.
<snip>

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 3, 2022 at 11:55 am
Old Feb 3, 2022, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Quite how anyone can say "we are open to the world so long as you isolate for 10 days" and keep a straight face is beyond me. Pass.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 1:41 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
In the USA some ostensible rules are virtually negated by non-enforcement. Rulebreakers quickly learn of the actual policy and exploit it. The public realizes the scam much later.

I believe the 10 day isolation is an example of this duplicity.
tauphi and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
In the USA some ostensible rules are virtually negated by non-enforcement. Rulebreakers quickly learn of the actual policy and exploit it. The public realizes the scam much later.

NZ society is very different to USA society (thankfully!).
nsx and flyalright like this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 3:18 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by nsx

Self-isolation for arrivals doesn't currently exist in NZ. Some details have not yet been provided. Eg can public transport/taxi/ride share be used from airport on arrivals? If not then will be a problem for most visitors and some NZers. Eg can domestic travel be taken on arrival? If not then self-isolation will need to be in city of arrival (most likely Auckland), which will be an issue for some/many.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For months various people/organisations/political parties had been asked why RAT were not being ordered the central govt. "Requisition" of private assets is something more associated with extreme totalitarian govt's. The capacity of labs to process PCR tests in a timely manner is limited. If more Omicron they will not have the capacity test all PCR swabs (same happened in MEL & SYD)

07 Feb 2022 (nzherald.co.nz)---->Ministry of Health admits requisitioned RATs already in New Zealand
The Ministry of Health has backtracked on a claim by director general of health Dr Ashley Bloomfield that tests requisitioned from private businesses were not already in New Zealand when the Ministry took them.

Last month, when news broke that the Ministry was requisitioning tests ordered by private companies for its own stocks, Bloomfield said private and public orders of the tests were being "consolidated" into one order for the Government. Bloomfield twice assured the public that tests taken by the Ministry were "forward orders" from overseas, not tests already in New Zealand. "Many businesses already have tests onshore and we're not requisitioning those or doing anything like that," Bloomfield said.

This was only partly correct. While tests from one of the manufacturers, Abbott, were not being requisitioned, tests from another manufacturer, Roche, very much were. He added, "we have discussed with our three main suppliers which are Abbott, Roche and Siemens, that forward orders of tests that haven't arrived in the country be consolidated into the Government's stock so that it is there for the whole country including private businesses". While no stocks of Abbott tests that are already in the country have been requisitioned, a substantial stock of Roche tests have been, a fact the Ministry now admits. A spokeswoman from the Ministry acknowledged it "did take the full February allocation from Roche and their stock on hand in New Zealand as part of having our orders fulfilled by Roche".
<snip>
National's Covid-19 spokesman Chris Bishop said the Government had been "tricky" on the issue of RATs "right from the start". "They have used sophistry and deliberately confusing language to hide what happened here," Bishop said. "Which is that the Government nicked tests from the private sector because they were too incompetent to order their own," he said.

When asked about the requisitioning fiasco, Bloomfield and ministers tend to answer with reference to Abbott's tests, which had not been requisitioned. This was despite no companies with Abbott tests on order actually alleging their orders had been taken. The two largest firms who complained their tests had been taken, InScience and Health Works Group, both ordered Roche products. Instead of answering what had happened to the missing Roche tests, Bloomfield answered questions relating to Abbott tests - tests which no one had reported as being stolen.
<snip>
Old Feb 6, 2022, 11:03 pm

It is genuinely shocking to see how NZ is compressing in 3 months the world experience of the last two years.

It's as if nothing has been done besides sitting at the Winchester waiting for all this to blow over.

EDIT: I just heard a rumor that would have the border reopened earlier than planned. I wonder if Australia's announcement has anything to do with it.

Last edited by malmostoso; Feb 7, 2022 at 12:16 am
Old Feb 7, 2022, 1:00 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Quite how anyone can say "we are open to the world so long as you isolate for 10 days" and keep a straight face is beyond me. Pass.

It's aimed at students, those with various kinds of work visa, and people on a working holiday visa. It's not, obviously, geared towards tourists.

As with everything else they've done, it's about trying to balance the medical needs (We don't need foreigners at all) and the economy (We could really do with more people coming back for longer periods). But hey, we've only just gone over 200 ICU beds, so I'm sure it'd be a great idea to just open up the country to all and sundry, eh? Let's get ~3 million people through the country again. Yes, people are tired of it all. But you know what else they are? Healthy. And if they hadn't bowed to pressure to open to Australia, the country could've stayed that way longer.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 1:05 am

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
For months various people/organisations/political parties had been asked why RAT were not being ordered the central govt. "Requisition" of private assets is something more associated with extreme totalitarian govt's.
Have you noticed how NO ONE that is alleging tests have been <whatever> has shown any paperwork to that effect, eh? Lots of noise from National and others about how "We would do better!" but they never say HOW. It's just empty air. This is the same. "They STOLE our tests!" Did they? When EXACTLY? Where EXACTLY? <crickets>

You're falling for the politics and letting your covid fatigue cloud your judgement.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 10:51 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Hi team,
Doing my second MIQ stint now. I shifted overseas as our business makes 97% of our revenue offshore and could not operate under a closed border.
One observation I will make is the lack of testing infrastructure that has been put in place in NZ. Most airports I have flown through offshore in the last six months have on site rapid antigen, and in most cases rapid PCR testing. 10 days ago I had a PRC result at IAD airport in 30 minutes. Last Friday in Italy in 2 hours. In two years it seems to me there is very little extra PCR capacity in NZ.
The challenge with NZ opening is no testing site in Auckland airport. Most countries require a negative test for entry. With overwhelmed testing in NZ I am not sure how most travelers will get timely tests to start their travel.
Fortunately when I step out again next month my first stop is the USA who will accept a RAT.
Safe travels.
Silver Fox and flyalright like this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 11:59 pm

In the meantime the government has announced the rules for self isolation when travel without MIQ comes into effect.

It seems to me that these rules are a complete 180° turn on MIQ, it's clear that even the most doomsday predictions are not coming true. Fingers crossed it stays that way!
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by WLGNZ
The challenge with NZ opening is no testing site in Auckland airport. Most countries require a negative test for entry. With overwhelmed testing in NZ I am not sure how most travelers will get timely tests to start their travel.
And if you can find a testing site it charges 300-500NZD with no guarantee it will deliver the result on time. Complete shambles, you're right.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malmostoso
And if you can find a testing site it charges 300-500NZD with no guarantee it will deliver the result on time. Complete shambles, you're right.
In Christchurch a health provider is charging $200 for PCR (no RAT). Was $182 a year ago. No swabs on Sunday and time to get a result limits limits options
https://www.wecarehealth.co.nz/fit-to-fly-covid-test/
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Only had 2 years, well done Jacinda. Someone's pockets are being lined. It's bad enough over here, but at least they had the pretence of putting together a decent testing program.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 7:13 pm

Self Isolation after October

I'm confused on the current rules on self isolation after full opening in October. I've read both that they'll end by then and that there is no definitive end date. Any insight?

I'm planning a February 2023 vacation on points. While the cancellation fees are modest., I'd like to reserve something with some likelihood of happening. Extended isolation won't work for me. New Zealand is my preferred destination. I've already cancelled a planned Feb 2021 visit to New Zealand and replanning on points closer to departure can be challenging. Trying to decide if I should look for someplace that is less likely to be restricted.

I know that with Covid predicting the future is not possible, and would like to understand what the current future rules are and any other insights.

US passport, double vaxxed, not boosted and not likely to be.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.