Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Australia

AU Govt-->COVID-19 and the border

Links below may not work, due to Covid-19 changes

Visa Australian Government web siteBeware of non government 3rd party look-a-like web sites that charge more, often found with a browser web search. Only the Australian government web site/department issues visas. These other scam web sites just send your data to the Australian Government web site.

FT thread---> Free Australian ETA Visa application* Click to open the wiki
Processing Australian ETAs for free * to FT members (and up to 3 more friends & family) who have more than 80 posts, AND have at least been members for more than 12 months! Please read post 1. Thanks to Guy Betsy for his service to the FT community

Entry Australian government web site
FT thread --->Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration Click to open the wiki

Australia
Departure Australian government web site
Departing from Australia

From Departing from Australia > Departures SmartGates

Print Wikipost

Australia immigration (incl ETA visa) & customs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:54 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by docbert
Most likely passengers that are technically in transit, but have decided to enter the country for one reason or another. Transit passengers do not need an ETA presuming they plan to stay airside, but if they decide to enter the country then they will require one.
No, this was people coming to Australia for a conference for a week and then returning to the US.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
It should be noted that 'worst comes to worst' is NOT you getting an ETA on arrival. Worst comes to worst, you get deported. If an ETA on arrival is possible (which I haven't heard of until now), then that could give you a way in, but if your ETA doesn't go through for whatever reason (and it could be no fault of your own), then you are on the first middle seat going home.

Anyone arriving from the USA to Australia without an airline checking their visa is truly bizarre. I know many people who failed to get their ETA and they were all stopped by the airline at check-in. Luckily their ETA went through in time to board. I fly with a PR from Australia so the airlines don't see an ETA and I get asked to show my visa every single time.

Is it possible these people were arriving from somewhere besides the USA (even if they were US citizens)?
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
It should be noted that 'worst comes to worst' is NOT you getting an ETA on arrival. Worst comes to worst, you get deported. If an ETA on arrival is possible (which I haven't heard of until now), then that could give you a way in, but if your ETA doesn't go through for whatever reason (and it could be no fault of your own), then you are on the first middle seat going home.

Anyone arriving from the USA to Australia without an airline checking their visa is truly bizarre. I know many people who failed to get their ETA and they were all stopped by the airline at check-in. Luckily their ETA went through in time to board. I fly with a PR from Australia so the airlines don't see an ETA and I get asked to show my visa every single time.

Is it possible these people were arriving from somewhere besides the USA (even if they were US citizens)?
No, they were flying SFO-SYD. I too was surprised. I think an American arriving in SYD and getting deported because the middle name is missing from the ETA is highly, highly unlikely; it is a far less egregious offense than failing to get an ETA at all. The fact that the OP's ETA has already gone through without the middle name makes it even less likely that the ETA would be denied with the middle name.

I obviously wouldn't suggest flying without an ETA on the hope that I could get one on arrival. I just think that getting an ETA on arrival is apparently possible. That just makes me more confident that the compounding probability that a) the ETA without a middle name is a problem and b) that the OP can't get an ETA in Australia in the unlikely event that they need a new ETA is small enough so that I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Aside: when I lived in Australia, I was on an electronic 457 visa and never had an airline ask for an ETA.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 7:23 pm

Ah, my mistake, I misread the context. I thought you meant the worst case scenario of not having a visa would be to just get one on arrival.

I agree that with the post you quoted, the middle name is not likely to be a major issue.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ashill
No, they were flying SFO-SYD. I too was surprised.
Wow - that's one of those "shouldn't be possible" things. Australian visas/ETAs are 100% electronic now days (and have been for several years), so it's mandatory for all airlines to do an electronic check that a passenger has a valid visa/ETA before a boarding pass is issued. The only exceptions should be those in international-to-international transit, or Australian/NZ citizens.

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I agree that with the post you quoted, the middle name is not likely to be a major issue.
It's not likely to be a major issue, but it does have the potential to be an issue. If you can check-in online, do it. If that works, you're good.

If you can't check-in online, then get to the airport at least 30 minutes earlier than you would have otherwise. It likely means the electronic check I mentioned above has failed. The check-in staff have a number they can call to get exceptions for issues like that, and odds are they will need to go through that process. It should be approved without issue, but could potentially burn a little time.
CPMaverick and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
I'm a little confused about the Australian ETA with respect to criminal convictions. I have a friend who is thinking about going to Australia, but he has an old DUI conviction form over 10 years ago, for which he didn't serve any jail time. The question on the ETA application simply asks if you have any criminal convictions but if you click the info button it mentions criminal convictions in which more than 1 year of jail time was served, so the question is, should they answer Yes or No?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by swiftaw
I'm a little confused about the Australian ETA with respect to criminal convictions. I have a friend who is thinking about going to Australia, but he has an old DUI conviction form over 10 years ago, for which he didn't serve any jail time. The question on the ETA application simply asks if you have any criminal convictions but if you click the info button it mentions criminal convictions in which more than 1 year of jail time was served, so the question is, should they answer Yes or No?
Why do they even ask this question knowing the history of Oz
Old Jan 5, 2019, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by swiftaw
See this thread:
Australia visa DUI
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by sciconf
the most recent arrival of a convict ship to Australia was 1868!!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by sciconf
Knowing the history of the US it’s so that if Americans state they have no criminal convictions their applications are carefully scrutinised to see which other questions they’ve answered falsely
Old May 1, 2019, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Didn't see this posted, and only just saw something about it on the news. You can now have your visa cancelled if you do not declare food etc and try to sneak it in to Australia.

Australia's strict bio-security laws prohibit certain foreign foods, plant materials, and animal products from entering the country, due to the threat of introducing serious pests and diseases into Australia, devastating our valuable agriculture and tourism industries, as well as our unique environment.

From April 17, 2019, new rules come into effect allowing airport authorities to shorten or cancel visitor visas if a visitor fails to declare prohibited items upon entry to the country.
CPMaverick, kirkwoodj and Reds2011 like this.
Old May 2, 2019, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd
Didn't see this posted, and only just saw something about it on the news. You can now have your visa cancelled if you do not declare food etc and try to sneak it in to Australia.
Anecdotally, I've heard that they are being more and more strict in this regard.

Even saw a story of a German tourist who was fined $350 when they found a sandwich in his bag (which his mother packed for him but he forgot about).
Old May 3, 2019, 9:38 am

Maybe they are getting more strict, I got sent to the x ray machines last week on my way back from Taipei, first time in well over 100 flights. It was almost kinda confusing as I’m so used to walking straight out so I was a bit ‘... am I doing here?’
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: AC-E50K / WS-P / Hyatt-G
Which visa should I get?

I'm a CDN citizen with a CDN passport.

I'm travelling from YVR to AKL this July, transiting through BNE each way.

On the outbound, my connection in BNE is less than 8 hours, so if my understanding is correct, I don't need a visa for that entry / exit. However, on my return, my connection is 16h (thanks, awards availability, hahaha!).

I've identified that the 771 visa (transit visa), the ETA, and the eVisitor (?) may permit me to travel through AUS as described above...

Based on a quick survey, I think the ETA might be my best bet, as the 771 transit visa seems to be very specific in application. Is one "easier" or less administratively difficult to get than the other?

I'd love to spent more time in AUS, but this is for a specific and somewhat time-limited trip!

Thanks in advance fellow FTers!
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by a4racer
I'm a CDN citizen with a CDN passport.
<snip>
FT is not the place for Visa advice

In the 8hrs & 16 hrs are you planning to go landside? Or stay airside in transit? (not go through immigration)
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...sa/visa-finder
https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...a-finder/visit

The simplest may be the ETA --> Australian Electronic Travel Authority Application AUD$20. For passports holders from Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Hong Kong (SAR PRC), Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, South Korea and United States. Check your eligibility & visa type needed. From reports on FT most are processed quickly (~minutes)
kirkwoodj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.