Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continued retaliation by NW FAs??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2008, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Like not providing any service to the passenger cabin for hours on end, during which time several FA's were seen going in & out of their nappy pod.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 3:39 pm

Programs: NW GOLD
Speaking of window shades... I was in WBC LAX-HKG-LAX a few weeks ago in the wonderful 73-A on the upper deck. As soon as the lunch/dinner service was done, the lead FA came through the cabin and lowered all the shades and said, "good night, see you all in Toyko." I thought she did a great job during the service but thought that closing all the shades was a bit strange. And i never saw her again until the breakfast meal was served before landing. I guess she was on a looooong break.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by JJLA35
Speaking of window shades... I was in WBC LAX-HKG-LAX a few weeks ago in the wonderful 73-A on the upper deck. As soon as the lunch/dinner service was done, the lead FA came through the cabin and lowered all the shades and said, "good night, see you all in Toyko." I thought she did a great job during the service but thought that closing all the shades was a bit strange. And i never saw her again until the breakfast meal was served before landing. I guess she was on a looooong break.
The purser or lead FA doesn't work upper deck.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by MarcoPolosFootprints
There can be extenuating circumstances for the request but it always should be a request though even that doesn't always work. I worked a flight last year, GUM-NRT where a pax in WBC (2A) had his shades opened and the sun was shining directly into the face of the pax in 3C but did not affect the pax in 2A. Both Japanese men over 60. One of the NRT based FAs asked 2A politely in Japanese if he would mind closing it. He refused. Words between the two pax were exchanged, then they both stood up to confront each other. 3C's son was sitting in 2C and he and I both intervened at the same time, otherwise we would have had a fist-fight on our hands. Childish, ridiculous and dangerous. When you have one unreasonable party involved, a reasonable solution is often difficult to find. As a purser, I always try to mediate a resolution on the spot. If one or both parties refuse, I then offer them mediation on the ground at our arrival station with the local authorities. I have yet to have anyone take me up on the offer. Let go of your ego, listen to the other guys side, shake hands and have a cocktail. I don't allow myself to be dragged into pointless arguments, I prefer a safe and peaceful flight.
That's plain wierd. I fly a lot of 9am flights north/south, and prefer windows, so I end up on the sun-side more often then not. A few times I've seen the sun shining into other people's faces on the other side of the plane, and I lowered the shade enough to take it out of their eyes and/or book/laptop. The ones who recognize what I did usually give me a thankful nod.

Just when I think I'm a pita anti-social grump, I realize how low the bar has been set, and I can get away with so much...

Steve B.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 6:57 pm

Programs: former
>>>>>>FAs putting up with pushy, egocentric, holier-than-thou travelers with a chip on their shoulder and an unreasonable sense of entitlement treating the tromped on staff like so much worthless apartheid hired help.

Not only that, I also have bad breath.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL (ex-NW) Plat pining for self-serve WC's and real cheese
Originally Posted by MarcoPolosFootprints
Why ? Are you condoning FA's disappearing for hours at a time? Think we need an explanation here...
Old Jun 4, 2008, 8:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DCAflyer81
Why ? Are you condoning FA's disappearing for hours at a time? Think we need an explanation here...
I think we are off-topic
Old Jun 4, 2008, 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
... I don't see what the big deal is. If they want the shades up for a few minutes at takeoff & landing, I'll open the shades.
How about in mid flight, cabin full of folks with a variety of shade conditions, and you are compelled to change only YOUR shade, and when you ask why, you are threatened with arrest?

I don't know if it is a big deal or not...but it was certainly scary for me. It could've happened to me, or to you. Perhaps with me it will be my Bose headphones, or my 'evil' looks, or that I am improperly probing their brain with my remote viewing powers.

Of course, the 'official' report will be that I threatened the crew or compromised the aircraft safety. We operate on the premise that FA won't simply lie about us for personal vindictive reasons. There is goodness in humanity and professionalism in the employee. For the overwhelming majority of the time, this works. But what about that 1 in 1000 FA with mental illness?

Where are the checks and balances? Or, is the victim in this case just collateral damage...part of the program. It happens, it will continue to happen, and it's just an acceptable mathematical cost of doing business.

The scary part is wondering that if this happens to me, will I be railroaded into a guilty verdict, with no recourse, no appeal, no one checking facts...forced to miss my flight, or be locked in the box for a day?

Maybe so? The fix? Cross my fingers.

All that said, I have only seen something like this once.

My rough estimate of my FA experiences:
2% - are in immense love with their job (or with life in general) and it shows (I TTU these)
18% - fun, effective, sense of humor, personable
72% - perform their job, which is fine
8% - have performance issues, vanish for hours without minimal water service in FC, sit and read magazines, or gossip (I recall one that had a little portable video game keeping them busy) for most of the flight (I also TTU these)
and
the one crazy window shade incident.

Last edited by macoz; Jun 4, 2008 at 9:21 pm
Old Jun 4, 2008, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
That's a whole different matter than having them up at takeoff and landing.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 1:19 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
Don't you mean "at least in a restaurant the wait staff have to kiss up to me" in order to get the money they deserve for providing their service in the American system of starvation pay combined with 'tricks for tips'?
No, that's not what I meant. I don't expect wait staff to kiss up to me. In fact, too much service gets annoying. I expect to be served within a reasonable amount of time and to be checked on every once in a while - not by coming by every 5 minutes, but at least glance at the table every 10 mins or so to see if the cups/glasses/plates are empty or if I indicate that I need the waiter/waitress to come by for some reason. If the food or drink is late, come by and let me know (don't let 20 minutes go by). Be familiar with the menu and be able to answer some questions about the offerings. And get the order right. That's all I expect. Get that right and you get ~20% (in the US).
Originally Posted by RichMSN
As opposed to the no-tipping, indifferent service I get at restaurants all over the rest of the world?

Sorry, this is one of my pet peeves.
Europe has different standards (not better or worse, just DIFFERENT). The service is much slower as people are expected to enjoy their restaurant outing, which is often in excess of 2 hours, as opposed to a 20 minute eat-pay-leave pitstop. I went to a pricey restaurant ($150 for 2 ppl) in Hawai'i and the check was on my table an hour after I sat. I HATED that; I really wanted to sit, talk and just enjoy the experience. If I wanted drive-through service I would have gone to a fast-food place. Service in Europe is slower (because it's supposed to be!), but it's also less attentive. In most cases the tip is peanuts, which deprives me of the possibility to express "thank you for the good service" or "crappy service... don't spend it all in one place". Tips motivate the wait staff.

Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
Wow, you actually talked to one of them. I think it is sad when human contact is reduced to nothing more than an unsatisfying and empty economic transaction between two insincere & unreasonable robots.
Oh, it's not THAT bad. If the cashier at a grocery store had a conversation with every person in line, it would take forever to get through. If FA's talked to every pax (especially with the NW minimum staffing levels) they'd never reach the back row.

About the FA's who abuse their power and screw pax over: in most professions one is not allowed to mistread clients/customers becase there are some self-entitled bad apples. If I treated my clients badly because 1 in 10 was unfair I would get fired. If a teacher treated all children badly because of a few bad ones, he/she would get fired. And so on.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by florin
Europe has different standards (not better or worse, just DIFFERENT). The service is much slower as people are expected to enjoy their restaurant outing, which is often in excess of 2 hours, as opposed to a 20 minute eat-pay-leave pitstop. I went to a pricey restaurant ($150 for 2 ppl) in Hawai'i and the check was on my table an hour after I sat. I HATED that; I really wanted to sit, talk and just enjoy the experience. If I wanted drive-through service I would have gone to a fast-food place. Service in Europe is slower (because it's supposed to be!), but it's also less attentive. In most cases the tip is peanuts, which deprives me of the possibility to express "thank you for the good service" or "crappy service... don't spend it all in one place". Tips motivate the wait staff.
The check on the table means nothing. I'll ignore it and stay as long as I want. It provides me the flexibility of ending the meal at any time and I actually appreciate that.

I don't mind s-l-o-w-e-r service. I do mind having an empty wine glass or an empty beer and a server not coming around for another 10 minutes or more. It happens all the time. I can wait for food, etc. It's the seeming lack of attention to detail that drives me crazy. And the inability to get anyone's attention quickly when I want it.

Personally, I have no problems with FAs. If I want something, I ring the call button. I have gotten dirty looks in the past, but I simply don't care. They may be there primarily for my safety, but they're also there to bring me a drink, too.

Especially in F, if I want a drink, I ask for it.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by florin
About the FA's who abuse their power and screw pax over: in most professions one is not allowed to mistread clients/customers becase there are some self-entitled bad apples. If I treated my clients badly because 1 in 10 was unfair I would get fired. If a teacher treated all children badly because of a few bad ones, he/she would get fired. And so on.
And one can immediately see the downside of union protection and giving airline crew almost unlimited and virtually unquestioned power on an airplane.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 11:02 am

Cool

Originally Posted by DCAflyer81
Old Jun 5, 2008, 11:35 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by RichMSN
And one can immediately see the downside of union protection and giving airline crew almost unlimited and virtually unquestioned power on an airplane.
Very true, sadly. I seriously feel helpless in case there comes a time when a FA would want to report me for something like window shades (or along those lines), and I would have to deal with authorities upon landing. There seems to be no recourse for the passengers. FA "are always right", and will back each other up.
Old Jun 5, 2008, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA, ANA, JAL, NW/DL, Marriott Silver, Avis First
Originally Posted by yogimax
I think we are off-topic
Right on. Somebody was bringing up this topic from another thread...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.