Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continued retaliation by NW FAs??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2008, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fti
I still don't understand how the same FA works on some Compass flights and some mainstream NW flights. I thought they didn't do that.
They don't (not to mention the fact they legally can't).
Old Jun 2, 2008, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA, ANA, JAL, NW/DL, Marriott Silver, Avis First
Originally Posted by fti
I still don't understand how the same FA works on some Compass flights and some mainstream NW flights. I thought they didn't do that.
Compass FAs work Compass planes, and NW FAs work NW equipment. You are right.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 6:01 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If you seriously believe that NW FAs are conspiring to make your life miserable, which probably was happening and now is definitely in your record considering the drama with customer relations, I would seriously advise you to take your business elsewhere. Keep tabs of the money you spent on other carriers in detail and write our friend Sokup a nice letter in six months. Don't go back to the site of your abuse if you are abused over and over.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rrohio
I had almost a similiar incident in DTW just last week with FA and GA on mainline flights
I agree totally with you that NWA FA"S in general their attitudes have deteriorated a lot in the past few months. I am have since switched all my business away from NWA to Delta and AA
That all sounds very odd While I have had 'bad' (nothing close to what you are reporting) NW FA before (and TTUd about them), most of them are just fine and the majority actually excellent (I try and TTU this as well). I couldn't find any deterioration in service recently as well.
It almost sounds like you hit the jackpot with bad FAs, or something else is wrong here
If I see someone getting in trouble for nothing, I'd go and give him/her one of business cards in case they need a witness ... did that on a train recently where the conductor was trying to collect proper fare and eventually called the police when the pax made a huge scene ... gave him my business card in case the pax would go after him. So I can't imagine that on the full flights these days and certainly in DTW such thing goes unnoticed. If nobody offers, I'd probably seek 'witnesses' if the plan to escalate this with NW; nothing more powerful than a stranger on your side.
You can try to write an Email to Jim Cron, but Bob probably read this post already. Weird stories Don't know what to make of them.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Like someone said, this is very much a he said, she said situation. That said, how exactly do you feel this is retaliation. This would have to be a conspiracy between the original flight crew, the gate agent, 3 supervisors, and various people at the NWA Customer care center. It's either that, or you're imagining the retaliation against you.

In the end, it's really a situation where you did something wrong or you didn't. It's not a minor thing for an FA and a flight crew to refuse to fly someone in F. It's either a high level elite member or someone flying on a high rev ticket. They don't alienate people like that for no good reason. The FA probably did feel threatened. In the case where you did do something then it's on you. The Lord with you thing in your post doesn't exactly give off a strong normal vibe. In the case where you didn't do anything, then they've seriously mistreated you, aren't going to do anything and you should move to another carrier. It sounds like you're paying for F tickets, so there really isn't a huge thing to change.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I never ever had any bad experience with NW GAs or FAs. Actually, I feel like they often go out of their way to accomandate me. But maybe that has something to do with the fact that I've only paid deeply discounted fares (with the exception of mistake fares I found on FlyerTalk) so I never have any high expectation of first class service and I never have any sense of self entitlement. I joke and flirt with the FAs and GAs all the time, and I try to show that I appreciate them for doing their job. I think that can probably get you much further than paying a full F fare. Management cares about revenue, FAs/GAs cares about respect. That's how I look at things when it comes to interactions with them.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by thegeneral
This would have to be a conspiracy between the original flight crew, the gate agent, 3 supervisors, and various people at the NWA Customer care center.
I don't think it's that at all, even in his story.

It appears that after the first flight landed late, the FA spent time talking to the GA with the door to the plane open until another F passenger asked them to get a move-on, and the FA may have thought our FTer here was the original complaintant. When he then gets to his next flight, it is the same crew, and the same FA tells the same captain that she doesn't like this particular PAX for whatever reason. The captain takes the FA at their word.

The GA and someone else at the gate seem to think this is a bit silly, but are overruled by the senior guy on site. And our 'friendly' PAX here seems to cement it as a hostile encounter with the IDB fight.

The phone CSR seems to have been sympathetic up until the point our 'friendly' PAX came at them with the 'entitled to IDB compensation' claim, at which point the CSR went and looked into it and probably ended up talking to someone who quickly realized that someone taking that angle is probably more trouble than they may be worth.

Of course, we only have half the story. I've have good to excellent service out of all my mainline FAs and all but one Mesaba FA as long as I can remember. I've run into one bad check-in agent. On the other hand, I can certainly see there being an FA or two or five in the NW system somewhere who has gotten a wee bit too comfortable with their post-9/11-flight powers and might be using that for personal reasons. But we also don't know what else this particular PAX may have done during their initial flight.

Clearly there was a dispute, but I don't think our PAX here handled it in a way that was liable to get them the best outcome, instead favoring an approach that was the most aggressive. It seems that almost all of the NW staff were on the PAX's side until the PAX's resolution methods pushed the two important ones to the opposition position.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Blank Sheet
FA's can have remarks or notes put on your "permanent" record.
I thought some of the pursers on FT specifically said they can only add notes to a specific PNR. They can't make comments end up on manifests.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 8:47 pm

Location: Dallas, TX , formerly Wilmington, NC, hence ILMflyer
Programs: AA/WN/DL
These days (post 9-11) you cannot in any way make an off-remark or comment, an unflattering facial look and don't let the flight attendant know your complaint, especially if you are in first class, as they will know your seat number. They will immediately update your PNR with their "version of the story."

It takes a lot of constraint but the best course of recourse is to keep your mouth shut and document every minute of the flight. I advise you to continue to smile to the flight attendant after disembarking, even if it disgusts you. File your complaint with the DOT and NWA. Also, confrontations with the gate agent won't help your matter. They will always side with the flight crews. LOL. One of the rare times the crews and gate agents are in synch.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL (ex-NW) Plat pining for self-serve WC's and real cheese
Originally Posted by Blank Sheet
FA's can have remarks or notes put on your "permanent" record. I have had FA discuss episodes after they occurred in plain sight of my seat. Most times the conversation starts with them apologizing at which point I let them know that it isn't necessary for them to apologize for the behavior of someone else. This usually leads to a good conversation about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, basically mean people get their up-comings. On two occasions the FA's did relate that the offenders will have comments put into their records that will follow them when they fly NWA in the future. If this means anything or not, who knows.
This seems like bad policy to me. If an FA sees you have been a "complainer" in the past, might they automatically take offense to you as a "complainer?" Sure they might try to serve you better to avoid a complaint, but I could see much the opposite happening. Anyone with insider knowledge know if this indeed happens? As I said previously, I've started thinking about my past TTU's and am feeling somewhat apprehensive about making more in the future!
Old Jun 2, 2008, 9:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think the OP's situation is clear - if he paid refundable F and can prove he did not take the flight, he can dispute the charge with the credit card company and let them duke it out with NW. If he took the flight, then no compensation is due.

As for the rest - I wouldn't set foot on or near another NW flight if any of this happened to me, so I second the advise up-thread. Take your business elsewhere, document your spend with a competitor, and send a note detailing why you left, how much business was lost, and cheerily say 'adios' and you ain't coming back. They probably won't give a damn anyway, which is even more reason to take your business elsewhere.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I think the OP's situation is clear - if he paid refundable F and can prove he did not take the flight, he can dispute the charge with the credit card company and let them duke it out with NW.
Sounds like he already took at least one segment, so it's doubtful that he'd get anything back.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 12:44 am

Programs: NWA WorldPerks
Originally Posted by BearX220
This incident should serve as a reminder that 10 to 15 percent of all inflight personnel are at least irrational, at most mentally ill, and

That also goes for airlines passengers. I think about 90% of the people who fly become idiots and lose all rational sense.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 1:25 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
We all have cell phones these days, and most of those phones have cameras in them. Why aren'y the pictures of the most 'offensive' FAs, GAs, and a-hole passengers not posted online?? (Not saying this is the proper forum or website for this).

The FAs and GAs have our first and last names and can leave notes in our 'permanent files', why can't we do the same (first and last from their name tags), along with a picture.

I would certainly like to know if I am on a flight with a FA that consistantly delivers a poor level of service (but hasn't been flushed out of their job due to company seniority, union seniority, or simple nepotism.)

I would also like to know if I am seated next to a fellow PAX who has been observed by others to act irrationally, agressively, or - on the other hand, extra kindly to those sitting next to them.

Attaching a photo and name to your online complaints would go a long way to helping others avoid frustrations that only need be experienced by one person, one time.

I'll take the lead by attaching a link to my photo. If you find yourself on the same flight as me, take comfort, you'll find me to be a really pleasant guy. Brian_is_flyin - a really nice guy to know
Old Jun 3, 2008, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by ILMflyer
These days (post 9-11) you cannot in any way make an off-remark or comment, an unflattering facial look and don't let the flight attendant know your complaint, especially if you are in first class, as they will know your seat number. They will immediately update your PNR with their "version of the story."

It takes a lot of constraint but the best course of recourse is to keep your mouth shut and document every minute of the flight. I advise you to continue to smile to the flight attendant after disembarking, even if it disgusts you. File your complaint with the DOT and NWA. Also, confrontations with the gate agent won't help your matter. They will always side with the flight crews. LOL. One of the rare times the crews and gate agents are in synch.
This was the very much the same advice I was given when visiting the Soviet Union and being tracked by the KBG before the fall of communism.
Originally Posted by DanTravels
And may the Lord guide you meekly and peaceably on yours.
^^^

Last edited by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM; Jun 3, 2008 at 1:39 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.