Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continued retaliation by NW FAs??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2008, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by thegeneral
"About 5 years or so, I observed a 'crazy' FA in action (thankfully, I have not seen anything like it since) and I watched her threaten a guy across the aisle from me with arrest upon landing if he did not either raise or lower (I cannot recall whether she wanted it up or down) the window shade. I saw the entire episode and my only explanation is that she was mentally disturbed, which I found particularly troubling in an unbridled authority, post 911, environment."

That's actually the FA doing his/her job and not being 'crazy'. Passengers such as the guy you sat next to sometimes think they are special and that safety regulations don't apply to them. They do. The FA was making that clear to him. I too often, especially up front, see people endangering the well being of others because they think they are better than everyone else and the rules don't apply to them. I'd be congratulating the FA. The passenger is required by law to follow his/her instructions. They announce this during the flight and the person in the wrong here was the jackass across the aisle, not the FA.

Guess what? It is neither an FAR or NW policy that window shades must be raised or lowered for take-off or landing or any other time. As a flight attendant myself, I get exasperated with other FAs who try to enforce regulations and policies that do not exist.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Just because there have been a couple of incidents in a relatively short period of time does not mean that OP is exaggerating what the NW employees did and minimizing his own actions. It would be more telling if he had a high percentage of "incidents" over his entire flight history. But skepticism will grow when there are multiple events within a short time.

That being said, there are always two sides to an issue, and unless there is video of the incidents or eyewitnesses who come forward, there will always be a little bit of doubt as to just what transpired.

I think the OP would be well advised to just take his business elsewhere for a while and try to get over this.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
...That's actually the FA doing his/her job and not being 'crazy'. Passengers such as the guy you sat next to sometimes think they are special and that safety regulations don't apply to them. They do. The FA was making that clear to him. I too often, especially up front, see people endangering the well being of others because they think they are better than everyone else and the rules don't apply to them. I'd be congratulating the FA. The passenger is required by law to follow his/her instructions. They announce this during the flight and the person in the wrong here was the jackass across the aisle, not the FA.
Outside of an exit row window shade during taxi, takeoff and landing, what in the world does the position of the window shade have to do with safety or endangering lives?

The FA does not have the right to threaten or intimidate a customer because they won't lower their shade during movie time if they prefer to look out the window - it has nothing to do with safety, and yet these forums are ripe with examples of FAs either yelling at customers who decline, or in some cases, reaching across them and slamming the shade down on their behalf.

Safety is safety - poor customer service under the pretend guise of safety is a FA who either needs more training, a reprimand or find alternate employment.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by MarcoPolosFootprints
Guess what? It is neither an FAR or NW policy that window shades must be raised or lowered for take-off or landing or any other time. As a flight attendant myself, I get exasperated with other FAs who try to enforce regulations and policies that do not exist.
Agreed. It seems that I find more NW Airlink FAs who make up rules than any other FAs. One told me I had to have my airvent open. I HATE open airvents. I would close it, she would open it. I would close it, she would open it. I believe I complained about that.

It seems most of the Pinnacle and Mesaba flights I've been on recently have wanted ALL shades open for take-off an landing. Mine is pretty much always open on those short flights.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 12:13 pm

"About 5 years or so, I observed a 'crazy' FA in action (thankfully, I have not seen anything like it since) and I watched her threaten a guy across the aisle from me with arrest upon landing if he did not either raise or lower (I cannot recall whether she wanted it up or down) the window shade. I saw the entire episode and my only explanation is that she was mentally disturbed, which I found particularly troubling in an unbridled authority, post 911, environment."

That's actually the FA doing his/her job and not being 'crazy'. Passengers such as the guy you sat next to sometimes think they are special and that safety regulations don't apply to them. They do. The FA was making that clear to him. I too often, especially up front, see people endangering the well being of others because they think they are better than everyone else and the rules don't apply to them. I'd be congratulating the FA. The passenger is required by law to follow his/her instructions. They announce this during the flight and the person in the wrong here was the jackass across the aisle, not the FA.
To be clear, the window shade event did NOT occur during takeoff/landing, but in mid flight cruising. She stated that she would have him arrested at landing. Other folks on the plane were not asked to modify their shade status and there were a variety of open, closed, and halfway shades on the plane.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
Don't you mean "at least in a restaurant the wait staff have to kiss up to me" in order to get the money they deserve for providing their service in the American system of starvation pay combined with 'tricks for tips'?
As opposed to the no-tipping, indifferent service I get at restaurants all over the rest of the world?

Sorry, this is one of my pet peeves.

On-topic: I don't kiss up to anyone and the idea of bringing chocolates or other bribes/gifts for airline employees is just silly.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA, ANA, JAL, NW/DL, Marriott Silver, Avis First
Originally Posted by drat19
Could you please clarify (was briefly mentioned earlier in this thread): Is that only on the PNR of the specific itinerary, or is there also a "passenger permanent record"? (Geez, who'da thunk we'd be using this sort of terminology after we all thought we debunked that myth when we graduated grade school!).
It is specific to the itinerary. There was once an incident I witnessed in NYC where a SE traveling back home on a free ticket demanded an upgrade and the GA declined. The GA was as calm as can be, and the passenger was demanding, demanding, and demanding. This passenger felt she was entitled to a free upgrade being a SE although traveling on a free ticket, was not receiving customer service from this GA, and requested a supervisor. The supervisor appeared and gave her the upgrade. (I was shocked he gave her the upgrade ) This supervisor felt that "customers are always right." According to note on this SE's PNR written by the GA at her home station, she demanded the upgrade then, too, but was not given the upgrade and explained why. Apparently she was irate then, too.

I then asked the GA if the notes remain in the system indefinitely. The GA said the notes are only attached to this PNR.

As far as passenger permanent records, I don't have any ideas. Maybe the FAA or TSA does.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by macoz
To be clear, the window shade event did NOT occur during takeoff/landing, but in mid flight cruising. She stated that she would have him arrested at landing. Other folks on the plane were not asked to modify their shade status and there were a variety of open, closed, and halfway shades on the plane.
There can be extenuating circumstances for the request but it always should be a request though even that doesn't always work. I worked a flight last year, GUM-NRT where a pax in WBC (2A) had his shades opened and the sun was shining directly into the face of the pax in 3C but did not affect the pax in 2A. Both Japanese men over 60. One of the NRT based FAs asked 2A politely in Japanese if he would mind closing it. He refused. Words between the two pax were exchanged, then they both stood up to confront each other. 3C's son was sitting in 2C and he and I both intervened at the same time, otherwise we would have had a fist-fight on our hands. Childish, ridiculous and dangerous. When you have one unreasonable party involved, a reasonable solution is often difficult to find. As a purser, I always try to mediate a resolution on the spot. If one or both parties refuse, I then offer them mediation on the ground at our arrival station with the local authorities. I have yet to have anyone take me up on the offer. Let go of your ego, listen to the other guys side, shake hands and have a cocktail. I don't allow myself to be dragged into pointless arguments, I prefer a safe and peaceful flight.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 1:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, UA Premier 1K, TAP Silver, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by peachfront
Giving out boxes of candy and cookies to people you don't know goes a little beyond tacky sometimes, considering how many people have carb/sugar addictions and are unable to resist if it's right in front of them. Just think of how many people you hear every year who are unhappy about having candy and cookies thrust upon them at Christmas. Then think about having temptation thrust upon you on the job. If you want to give this sort of gift, in my humble opinion, the ones who give the small gift cards, such as to Starbucks, are doing more of a kindness, because the recipient of the gift card can themselves choose what they're going to eat or drink.

Although I just got a funny mental image of a FA scribbling in some passenger's permanent record that he's a diet saboteur! :-)
Originally Posted by RichMSN

On-topic: I don't kiss up to anyone and the idea of bringing chocolates or other bribes/gifts for airline employees is just silly.
I have often brought chocolates to FAs. The vast majority of the time I was seated in F, so there was no reason to "bribe" anyone. FAs work very hard and are often not recognized so a token gift is a positive thing. As for the "sugar addict" who may be tempted, we have treatment programs for those. What about the recovering alcoholic FA who has to serve the passengers wine?

And I do admit, I'm frequently silly. That's one of the reasons many like to be around me.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 1:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM Marriott Gold
Except by the emergency exits.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by jjvan
Except by the emergency exits.
FAR or company policy? Stated where?
Old Jun 4, 2008, 1:52 pm

Passengers may keep window shades closed for takeoff and landing.
Exception: Window shades on all exits (doors and windows) should be open for takeoff and landing so that crew members can easily assess outside
conditions in case of emergency.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
FAR or not, it seems to be a near universal requirement -- I've experienced it in the last couple weeks on NW, HA & Virgin Blue everywhere from Tasmania to MSP. I don't see what the big deal is. If they want the shades up for a few minutes at takeoff & landing, I'll open the shades.

There are bigger fish to fry.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
FAR or not, it seems to be a near universal requirement -- I've experienced it in the last couple weeks on NW, HA & Virgin Blue everywhere from Tasmania to MSP. I don't see what the big deal is. If they want the shades up for a few minutes at takeoff & landing, I'll open the shades.

There are bigger fish to fry.

Like who's taking a crew break?
Old Jun 4, 2008, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Like who's taking a crew break?
Like not providing any service to the passenger cabin for hours on end, during which time several FA's were seen going in & out of their nappy pod.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.