Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continued retaliation by NW FAs??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:50 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by florin
But... you shouldn't HAVE TO kiss up to airline staff in order to get the service that you PAID for. I'm all about being nice in all situations (it certainly never hurts!) and never being less than polite; but having to befriend employees is ridiculous. I see a lot of people trying to engage in conversations with FA's, trying to win them on their side - who knows, they may even get something for free. I have talked to FA's myself on several occasions (until I encountered a crazy one AMS-DTW and later wished I hadn't talked to her). It's sad that it has come to the point where you have to kiss up to everyone you come into contact with in order to get the services that you have already paid for. It says a lot about the level of service that US airlines have come to. At least in a restaurant I get to reward the waiter/waitress depending on the service they provided.
Oh, how I agree with every single word in this statement! I am always pleasant to FA's, yet I get mostly indifference in return, sometime rudeness, sometimes pleasantness. However, mostly indifference. I don't think I have to befriend the FA's or anyone in service industry to get the friendly service I pay for and I deserve. I am ready to get flamed, but thats the reason why I never understood people that give FA's boxes of chocolates/brownies/whatever upon boarding "because its nice". I can think of at least a dozen other professionals I would rather give those "signs of appreciation" to, but don't because I don't think its necessary and frankly, tacky. Thats just IMHO.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 11:35 pm

Interesting read.

I agree that only one side of the story is represented here and so it is not really possible to form a solid opinion on the facts that transpired.

About 5 years or so, I observed a 'crazy' FA in action (thankfully, I have not seen anything like it since) and I watched her threaten a guy across the aisle from me with arrest upon landing if he did not either raise or lower (I cannot recall whether she wanted it up or down) the window shade. I saw the entire episode and my only explanation is that she was mentally disturbed, which I found particularly troubling in an unbridled authority, post 911, environment.

He complied with her order in a quiet shock. Heck, I was shocked and felt really bad for the guy. I never thought of offering my business card in such a case, but thanks to FT discussion here, I will should something similar occur. That's a great idea.

When I read stories like these it's a bit scary and makes me think of keeping my small digital recording device on my person rather than in my bag simply to protect myself from the lunacy that lurks around the corner.

This is not practical, and these types of events occur so quickly that by the time you realize 'things are not quite right' with person X, it would probably be to late to push the 'record' button. In many cases, it would take me second to realize that such a bizarre situation is 'real' and that I have not misinterpreted the signals.

There are cameras that folks can purchase and install on their vehicle dash boards that constantly record video to a memory chip. The chip holds 10 minutes of video and continually records over itself. If the car is in an accident, the owner can play back the 10 minutes that led up to and included the event.

Something like this, that can hold an hour of vid, and uses a short strand of fiber optic on the cap or through a shirt button hole will be the only defense for stuff like this. It's coming. Vid protects the innocent...be it the cameraman or his subject.

It would be nice if the aircraft had a camera system that captured the cabin...too much to wish for tho.

I hope I never find myself in such a situation, but at least in reading about it, I have now thought about it, and perhaps will be better prepared in my own reaction.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Well worth it

Originally Posted by macoz
I hope I never find myself in such a situation, but at least in reading about it, I have now thought about it, and perhaps will be better prepared in my own reaction.
Then I consider my experience well worth it.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 6:29 am
Suspended

But... you shouldn't HAVE TO kiss up to airline staff in order to get the service that you PAID for. I'm all about being nice in all situations (it certainly never hurts!) and never being less than polite; but having to befriend employees is ridiculous. I see a lot of people trying to engage in conversations with FA's, trying to win them on their side - who knows, they may even get something for free. I have talked to FA's myself on several occasions (until I encountered a crazy one AMS-DTW and later wished I hadn't talked to her). It's sad that it has come to the point where you have to kiss up to everyone you come into contact with in order to get the services that you have already paid for. It says a lot about the level of service that US airlines have come to. At least in a restaurant I get to reward the waiter/waitress depending on the service they provided.
I have rarely encountered an FA where using the most basic of manners does not return the minimum level of service. Of course, there are always a few bad apples; however, I've found most problems I have arise from miscommunication and misunderstandings.

If anything, I would describe NW FAs as old and indifferent, not rude or vindictive. In general, their tired and beaten down, not bitter.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 6:46 am

Don't you mean "at least in a restaurant the wait staff have to kiss up to me" in order to get the money they deserve for providing their service in the American system of starvation pay combined with 'tricks for tips'?

Wow, you actually talked to one of them. I think it is sad when human contact is reduced to nothing more than an unsatisfying and empty economic transaction between two insincere & unreasonable robots.

The only thing worse than being served by some of the old, embittered NW FAs going through the motions would be to actually have to be one of those FAs putting up with pushy, egocentric, holier-than-thou travelers with a chip on their shoulder and an unreasonable sense of entitlement treating the tromped on staff like so much worthless apartheid hired help.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 6:56 am

Programs: Gold MileagePlus
History in the Record

As a travel agent with a reservation computer that permits me to see notations to the reservation, I do see what any GA or airline employee writes concerning a passenger. If you're one those posting here who don't think that airline GAs can sabotage you, think again. I think the original poster story is quite plausible. GA can put in the record history their side of the story of what they think happened between you and the airline employee and this is there other employees to read and determine how they are to service or not service you. This specifically why it is put in the record. You never get to see or contest his notation. Yes, those condemning notations are written so that others following up dealing with you are to take a similar line...it's call the history of the incident. Yes, airline employees do stick together. For those of you who say, well it never happened to me so I doubt it happened to someone else. Think again. If someone with a bad hair day or who easily takes offence wants to sabotage you for wahtever reason, they can. The customer service department reads that history when you call in to complain and seek restitution after your flight. So beware.

Last edited by dusdidt; Jun 4, 2008 at 7:02 am
Old Jun 4, 2008, 7:04 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
There is definitely a system in place (with all airlines) to record potential troublemakers (ranging from the perpetual drunk to someone who has a criminal record for hijacking etc) so that the carriers can limit the risk they are exposed to. If you get a record, there are levels of how you are treated. Always remember: just as you have the right to cancel the ticket and not start your trip, the airlines also have the right, under certain circumstances, to deny you service.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 7:19 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dusdidt
As a travel agent with a reservation computer that permits me to see notations to the reservation, I do see what any GA or airline employee writes concerning a passenger. If you're one those posting here who don't think that airline GAs can sabotage you, think again. I think the original poster story is quite plausible. GA can put in the record history their side of the story of what they think happened between you and the airline employee and this is there other employees to read and determine how they are to service or not service you. This specifically why it is put in the record. You never get to see or contest his notation. Yes, those condemning notations are written so that others following up dealing with you are to take a similar line...it's call the history of the incident. Yes, airline employees do stick together. For those of you who say, well it never happened to me so I doubt it happened to someone else. Think again. If someone with a bad hair day or who easily takes offence wants to sabotage you for wahtever reason, they can. The customer service department reads that history when you call in to complain and seek restitution after your flight. So beware.
Could you please clarify (was briefly mentioned earlier in this thread): Is that only on the PNR of the specific itinerary, or is there also a "passenger permanent record"? (Geez, who'da thunk we'd be using this sort of terminology after we all thought we debunked that myth when we graduated grade school!).
Old Jun 4, 2008, 7:29 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by oliver2002
There is definitely a system in place (with all airlines) to record potential troublemakers (ranging from the perpetual drunk to someone who has a criminal record for hijacking etc) so that the carriers can limit the risk they are exposed to. If you get a record, there are levels of how you are treated. Always remember: just as you have the right to cancel the ticket and not start your trip, the airlines also have the right, under certain circumstances, to deny you service.
Yeah, being marked as a hijacker in the airlines' system would probably suck.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 7:53 am

Programs: Gold MileagePlus
Originally Posted by drat19
Could you please clarify (was briefly mentioned earlier in this thread): Is that only on the PNR of the specific itinerary, or is there also a "passenger permanent record"? (Geez, who'da thunk we'd be using this sort of terminology after we all thought we debunked that myth when we graduated grade school!).
For PNRs. I've seen specific PNRs with blow by blow accounts of passenger attitude and exchange, all for later employee followup contact with paasenger. Maybe there exist a passenger profile. Who knows.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 8:00 am
Suspended

"About 5 years or so, I observed a 'crazy' FA in action (thankfully, I have not seen anything like it since) and I watched her threaten a guy across the aisle from me with arrest upon landing if he did not either raise or lower (I cannot recall whether she wanted it up or down) the window shade. I saw the entire episode and my only explanation is that she was mentally disturbed, which I found particularly troubling in an unbridled authority, post 911, environment."

That's actually the FA doing his/her job and not being 'crazy'. Passengers such as the guy you sat next to sometimes think they are special and that safety regulations don't apply to them. They do. The FA was making that clear to him. I too often, especially up front, see people endangering the well being of others because they think they are better than everyone else and the rules don't apply to them. I'd be congratulating the FA. The passenger is required by law to follow his/her instructions. They announce this during the flight and the person in the wrong here was the jackass across the aisle, not the FA.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 8:11 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Giving out boxes of candy and cookies to people you don't know goes a little beyond tacky sometimes, considering how many people have carb/sugar addictions and are unable to resist if it's right in front of them. Just think of how many people you hear every year who are unhappy about having candy and cookies thrust upon them at Christmas. Then think about having temptation thrust upon you on the job. If you want to give this sort of gift, in my humble opinion, the ones who give the small gift cards, such as to Starbucks, are doing more of a kindness, because the recipient of the gift card can themselves choose what they're going to eat or drink.

Although I just got a funny mental image of a FA scribbling in some passenger's permanent record that he's a diet saboteur! :-)

Originally Posted by asnovici
I am ready to get flamed, but thats the reason why I never understood people that give FA's boxes of chocolates/brownies/whatever upon boarding "because its nice". .
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by yogimax
Those who quickly condemn the FA need to understand that we are only hearing one side of the story. What was the demeanor of the OP? What did his body language demonstrate? What was the tone and volume of his voice? Are his facts correct?

Indeed, in regard to facts... one could logically assume that the discussion between the FA and GA who opened the door was precisely about a passenger in the back who needed special assistance.

Too much speculation and condemnation...

Not enough factual information!
Exactly... and what a lot of people here seem to be ignoring is the fact that this is the OP's second run-in with a crew in a very short period of time. I would guess that's hardly typical for most FTers, but would put the OP solidly in the "15" camp on the 85/15 scale.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM
Don't you mean "at least in a restaurant the wait staff have to kiss up to me" in order to get the money they deserve for providing their service in the American system of starvation pay combined with 'tricks for tips'?

Wow, you actually talked to one of them. I think it is sad when human contact is reduced to nothing more than an unsatisfying and empty economic transaction between two insincere & unreasonable robots.

The only thing worse than being served by some of the old, embittered NW FAs going through the motions would be to actually have to be one of those FAs putting up with pushy, egocentric, holier-than-thou travelers with a chip on their shoulder and an unreasonable sense of entitlement treating the tromped on staff like so much worthless apartheid hired help.
(From a verging-on-old, not-so-embittered NW FA)
Old Jun 4, 2008, 11:47 am

Programs: AA, ANA, JAL, NW/DL, Marriott Silver, Avis First
Originally Posted by sxf24
I have rarely encountered an FA where using the most basic of manners does not return the minimum level of service. Of course, there are always a few bad apples; however, I've found most problems I have arise from miscommunication and misunderstandings.

If anything, I would describe NW FAs as old and indifferent, not rude or vindictive. In general, their tired and beaten down, not bitter.
They're tired and beaten down. I'm not surprised. Look, if I had to work 4 to 5 days on full flights with minimum crew and minimum layover time and full duty days (around 12 hours) breathing recycled airplane air, it wouldn't take me long to get tired either. I would probably age faster, too.

Flight attendants used to enjoy their lengthy layovers. Now so many trips have minimum rest--the company somehow expects FAs to fall asleep right when they get to the hotel. Humans need a good 7 to 8 hours of sleep to function at their best but NW management expects less. FAs also used to have more coworkers onboard flgihts, but now most of the time it's staffed at bare minimum. Now with all the cutbacks after 9/11, the glamorous life of a FA is NO MORE!

I can already hear some of you saying then why not change jobs? Well, what is the job market out there? Unless the person has other skills or has money to head to college while being able to support himself or herself and/or the family, it's going to be tough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.