Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Continued retaliation by NW FAs??

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2008, 1:44 pm

Talking

Here are some facts.

Flight attendants can have a willing gate agent add "notes" to a specific reservation. I have seen this once in eleven years. There are no permanent "notes" that get attached to each subsequent reservation, no such feature exists. In my eleven years I have not seen any such notes about "problem passengers" on any passenger list. Notes about other reservation related "stuff" don't get printed on the passenger list given to FA's.

I don't know of any FA conspiracy at NWA to remember and purposely mistreat customers who have complained; and NWA mainline and Compass FA's don't have much opportunity to interact.

To those of you who don't even make eye contact with FA's, well that's your prerogative. But even a "crazy" FA can appreciate a smile, friendly eye contact or simple "thank you". Conversely, avoiding eye contact or avoiding speaking is likely to be seen as rude or disrespectful by any person not just FA's.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JAFA
To those of you who don't even make eye contact with FA's, well that's your prerogative. But even a "crazy" FA can appreciate a smile, friendly eye contact or simple "thank you". Conversely, avoiding eye contact or avoiding speaking is likely to be seen as rude or disrespectful by any person not just FA's.
Those "crazy" FAs might actually turn out to be nice people too, if you take a minute to engage them in pleasant conversation.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 2:34 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by sxf24
Those "crazy" FAs might actually turn out to be nice people too, if you take a minute to engage them in pleasant conversation.
The OP violated the number one rule of frequent travel -- you have to make everyone you're dealing with at the airline as your best friend.

Violate that rule and you become your own worse enemy.

All he had to do is politely say he had a tight connection when he got off the first plane and none of the rest would have happened.

BTW, I learned this lesson years ago from an AA TA when I was trying to get from MSP to DTW during the NW pilot's strike.

Bob H
Old Jun 3, 2008, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA 11MM/EXP/Aairpass, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by BobH
All he had to do is politely say he had a tight connection when he got off the first plane and none of the rest would have happened.
If I understand the OP, the OP now believes the FA became upset with the OP because of something a fellow pax said, and the FA, who was not looking, thought the OP had said it. Kind of like the police arresting you for something your neighbor did. Or getting sent to the principal's office for something the student in the seat next to you did. That one actually happened to me.

I most certainly agree with trying to be extremely nice to every employee you deal with as the results are much much better that way. But when you get in trouble for someone else's interaction, I am at a loss.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 3:11 pm

The OP violated the number one rule of frequent travel -- you have to make everyone you're dealing with at the airline as your best friend.

Violate that rule and you become your own worse enemy.
I could not agree more...
Old Jun 3, 2008, 3:20 pm

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
At this point, whether the OP sues NW or not, he's already managed the first shot by posting the story on Flyertalk and exposing the worst FA-pples in the NW bushel to hundreds of readers, most of which have decision-making abilities for serious travel spend.

The IDB situation certainly didn't sound pleasant.

The revenge scenario involving the Compass FA made me cringe.

Best of luck to the OP moving forward -- I can't say I envy your current position, that of someone who lives in the Midwest and travels extensively on routes NW operates. Hopefully there will be an amicable solution to all of this.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 4:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 2 million, Marriott Gold
Nice - blame the victim! The issue is that in the airline industry, they have absolute power. If you say anything they don't like (or appreciate, even if mentioning bad service) you become a threat. That is too much power and we all know it. I was once chased, literally, into the terminal by a FA (different airline) because I asked someone to move so I could get by (my side of the story). This person was trying to do other things in the jetway. I have a right to ask someone to move and deplane - common sense. The person swore at me and this cause a commotion in the jetway (causing a commotion is the FA's story).

No sense complaining to the airline. They are all in it together. We are the customer and should not be treated like we have no rights. You would not accept it from a cop, the mailman or someone walking down the street. Sorry to preach, but those that doubt the story, the next time you receive bad service, even from the cashier in the grocery store, remember all it takes is accepting it once and you lose your rights, and the service you expect by paying.

If the OP wants to sue, Good luck. Seems the jury has spoken already. Just be sure to add to your story there was a sick child involved and you too can own part of DeltaWest! They will probably all accept the child over rides the rights or being a human.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 5:09 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Sue, sue, sue. And if you decide to proceed with your lawsuit, please don't forget to inform your attorney that your views have been posted on Flyertalk and will need to be disclosed in response to any discovery request asking for all documents related to your suit. The fact that you were "honked off" and "furious" (your words) should be helpful in establishing your well-reasoned, thoughtful state of mind in responding to the issues at hand. May the Lord guide you safely through district court.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 5:57 pm

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
There are no permanent "notes" that get attached to each subsequent reservation, no such feature exists. In my eleven years I have not seen any such notes about "problem passengers" on any passenger list. Notes about other reservation related "stuff" don't get printed on the passenger list given to FA's.
Thank you for clarifying that "feature". I hope that my post didn't offend as this happen a few years back and had never really come up in subject matter till this thread. I often wondered if I had taken those conversations out of context and it appears I have.

Thanks again for the information.

Last edited by Blank Sheet; Jun 3, 2008 at 6:18 pm Reason: adding the plural
Old Jun 3, 2008, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 318i
At this point, whether the OP sues NW or not, he's already managed the first shot by posting the story on Flyertalk and exposing the worst FA-pples in the NW bushel to hundreds of readers, most of which have decision-making abilities for serious travel spend.

The IDB situation certainly didn't sound pleasant.

The revenge scenario involving the Compass FA made me cringe.

Best of luck to the OP moving forward -- I can't say I envy your current position, that of someone who lives in the Midwest and travels extensively on routes NW operates. Hopefully there will be an amicable solution to all of this.
I can think of equally bad horror stories about other airlines, including DL, UA & US. It's pretty much a wash. With 10's of thousands of employees, completely eliminating such incidents isn't going to happen. Given a choice, would you rather be intimidated by a NW FA or slugged by a DL GA? Yes, that unfortunate event happened & was documented in FT, too.

But everybody likes a good conspiracy story!
Old Jun 3, 2008, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
>>>>>But even a "crazy" FA can appreciate a smile, friendly eye contact or simple "thank you".

Yes! I had that one on my last flight to DTW and then the connection too! After I was super nice on the original flight, she actually responded to my casual conversation upon boarding the second flight! My profuse thanks and best wishes upon exiting the second flight were met with a very depressed nothingness. But we elites got to keep plugging away!!!
Old Jun 3, 2008, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
Here are some facts.

Flight attendants can have a willing gate agent add "notes" to a specific reservation. I have seen this once in eleven years. There are no permanent "notes" that get attached to each subsequent reservation, no such feature exists. In my eleven years I have not seen any such notes about "problem passengers" on any passenger list. Notes about other reservation related "stuff" don't get printed on the passenger list given to FA's.

I don't know of any FA conspiracy at NWA to remember and purposely mistreat customers who have complained; and NWA mainline and Compass FA's don't have much opportunity to interact.

Here's another fact JAFA, You have been a FTer for over 4 years and now you can finally access the coupon connection, congrats on your milestone
Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by giggy
Here's another fact JAFA, You have been a FTer for over 4 years and now you can finally access the coupon connection, congrats on your milestone
Pardon my ignorance, what is the coupon connection?
I am a long time lurker, reluctant poster!
Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:30 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Pardon my ignorance, what is the coupon connection?
I am a long time lurker, reluctant poster!
Well, only over 3 years if my math is right. Coupon connection is where you can trade something you have that is travel related for something else that is travel related. It is toward the bottom of the forums. You need to have 90 meaningful posts and be a member for something like 90 days to see it and post on it.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
But... you shouldn't HAVE TO kiss up to airline staff in order to get the service that you PAID for. I'm all about being nice in all situations (it certainly never hurts!) and never being less than polite; but having to befriend employees is ridiculous. I see a lot of people trying to engage in conversations with FA's, trying to win them on their side - who knows, they may even get something for free. I have talked to FA's myself on several occasions (until I encountered a crazy one AMS-DTW and later wished I hadn't talked to her). It's sad that it has come to the point where you have to kiss up to everyone you come into contact with in order to get the services that you have already paid for. It says a lot about the level of service that US airlines have come to. At least in a restaurant I get to reward the waiter/waitress depending on the service they provided.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.