Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

nwa/Delta MERGER: General Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

nwa/Delta MERGER: General Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I'll definitely be stocking up on stuff from the WorldGear store. Wow, definitely heartbreaking news.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
fyi, No status here; 9,000 miles in the account, no activity in about 7 or 8 years and I got the email
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:01 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum Elite, Million miler plus
I'm sitting with 400,000 or so miles and almost PE for '08, and a bunch of trips in queue. Guess I better start burning. It's been great while it lasted, but Skymiles is completely vapid in the value proposition compared with WorldPerks, so I'll be bailing, either UA or AA.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:02 pm

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
As a Minnesota resident I would have preferred that the Vikings moved to LA, then Delta taking over NW. Deltalina notwithstanding, it's a sad night.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cjheck
Note that clicking on info for Minnesota has no mention of the elite agents in Chisholm.
I think CVG was the only reservations center mentioned. If that, along with being a 'vital part' of the network, is the best they can come up with the future for CVG, I don't think the future is bright.

I would bet money that the combined carrier saves money by on-shoring more calls to the existing call centers. DL's new executive team has been less than pleased with the Indian call centers.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:07 pm

Programs: CO
Can someone suggest what would be a good program to go too. I am not a huge frequent flyer. Most of my travel is to Poland to see my girlfriend there. Would it be worth seeing if NW could transfere my account to KLM.

Another question has anyone read what will happen with the partnership of NW and KLM? Will it now be DL and KLM or will KLM just leave there partnership once the deal is done?
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:07 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, *wood
Ahhhhh - Shucks

As an upper midwesterner, I remember being bummed when North Central went to Republic which went to Northwest Orient. Always took some getting used to, but always did get used to it. Still, even after expecting the announcement any day for the last few months, it was a shock to get the email.

I suspect I'll get over it - and I'm not going to worry too much about my WP account. The absolute last thing the merged company (Super Delta (c) GopherPuckGuy 2008 All Rights Reserved) can do is tick off their business flyers.

Here's hoping for the best, and RIP NW.

gpg
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:10 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by lotalota
As a Minnesota resident I would have preferred that the Vikings moved to LA, then Delta taking over NW. Deltalina notwithstanding, it's a sad night.
As an LA resident, I would prefer the Viking stay in MN to Delta taking over NW

I guess this make once less carrier flying to HI -- they've had a run of bad luck out there!
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:10 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Originally Posted by GopherPuckGuy
As an upper midwesterner, I remember being bummed when North Central went to Republic which went to Northwest Orient. Always took some getting used to, but always did get used to it. Still, even after expecting the announcement any day for the last few months, it was a shock to get the email.

I suspect I'll get over it - and I'm not going to worry too much about my WP account. The absolute last thing the merged company (Super Delta (c) GopherPuckGuy 2008 All Rights Reserved) can do is tick off their business flyers.

Here's hoping for the best, and RIP NW.

gpg
Oh my goodness, another Midwesterner as old as me My sentiments (and memories) exactly
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:11 pm
GG

If there was ever a time profanity was called for...

Lex has gone to bed mumbling something like bocastephen posted.

I'm just going to sit here and be miserable for a while. The margaritas I had at dinner weren't anywhere near strong enough.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
As a low-level elite member who does not travel for business, this merger removes the incentive to retain status and will probably end any attempt on my part to stay loyal to a single carrier/alliance. I have enjoyed Northwest and WorldPerks, but am not impressed with SkyMiles.

I guess I am joining the majority of fliers who base their airfare purchases based solely on price.

RIP NWA, it was fun while it lasted.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I guess this make once less carrier flying to HI -- they've had a run of bad luck out there!
Hopefully they won't cut back anything (in fact, looks like they're announcing LAX-LIH and LAX-KOA).
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by GG
margaritas I had at dinner weren't anywhere near strong enough.
The response to the merger on the DL forum is more of curiosity and speculation, whereas here it's met with a lot more upset and depression. I fly DL a lot, but usually no more than one or two segments a year on NW metal, so I'm not very familiar with the NW experience. (my only time in recent years dealing with their customer service operators was for last minute emergency tix a few months ago, they were great).

So- serious question. Please enlighten me... clear bullet points, how this merger ruins NW for you. Thanks,
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:19 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, *wood
Originally Posted by slippahs
Hopefully they won't cut back anything (in fact, looks like they're announcing LAX-LIH and LAX-KOA).
I'm with you Slippahs - I figure that it's not going to effect those routes. NW has done pretty well on them.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 8:21 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
now thats efficiency

keeping this and I give the new Delta three years before they visit the B-judge again
Perhaps they will wait for the government to tell them they must shut a hub, so they can look like the good guys and the government the bad guys.

Originally Posted by slippahs
I missed this somewhere... I've been hoping they would add LIH as a destination.

Last edited by slippahs; Apr 20, 2008 at 10:54 pm Reason: merging two posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.