Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

nwa/Delta MERGER: General Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

nwa/Delta MERGER: General Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
Trying to book spring training for next March.

MSN-PHX Friday-Sunday afternoon flights:
NW $638
DL $344

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:20 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by troyintn
I think it will depend on what happens with AA and AS. AS has deals wiht several airlines not just NWA.
Indeed. But none is closer than the one with NW in terms of reciprocal arrangements for elites: automatic upgrades, advance premium seat selection, early boarding. The AS/AA relationship is a bit more, well, frosty. Like a marriage of convenience.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:20 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Life is no longer exciting...
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
It will be very interesting to see what this does with the NW relationship with Alaska Airlines. Historically, the two airlines have been very close and had a good frequent flier partnership. Delta and Alaska Airlines, while partners, haven't been as close, nor shared as many perks across elites.

With Delta the surviving public entity, one wonders which relationship with AS will be the dominant one, since AS is outside of SkyTeam.
AS is the one non-Skyteam carrier that one can fly and earn DL MQMs, class of service bonus etc (not including codeshares). Used to be able to earn MQMs on VS but no more.

Point is, DL and AS have a very close working relationship. I would expect that to continue.

I also envision HA being brought even closer.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Angry Ugh

I just got into the Northwest program about a year and a half ago and now have 130,000 miles with WorldPerks... and now I don't have a clue what to do. Not sure if I should burn them or hold on to them in hopes of some sort of favorable SkyMiles rollover. Even though I know that's about completely impossible. Either way, I will be a completely unhappy camper if we lose the sort of automatic upgrades and availability that I've been enjoying right now... seriously unhappy.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:28 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by rankourabu
perhaps what is most important to FTers

"Shortly after the deal closes, we will announce a plan for consolidating miles into one account, "...

time to burn burn burn
How long does it usually take for a transaction to "close"? Days, Weeks, Months?
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL Silver, CO Silver, AA, Wyndham ByRequest
hell. Way to ruin my night.

Last edited by slippahs; Apr 14, 2008 at 7:49 pm Reason: language edited; flyertalk rules still apply
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by chrisny2
How long does it usually take for a transaction to "close"? Days, Weeks, Months?
I forget which website (DL, NW or the merger one) said this, but they're expecting it to take 6-8 months to complete the process, which would mean combining WP and SM around January 1.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
As the letter stated, it will take 6-8 months (likely longer) for the deal to even be approved, with a stack of other obstacles in the way as well.

I can make an announcement tomorrow that I'm buying Citicorp - it doesn't mean the deal will actually happen.

Wait for a signed merger document, approved by the gov't, shareholders, and employees before plotting your strategy.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Maybe, just maybe, it'll work out great for all of us in the end.

But more than likely...

Last edited by slippahs; Apr 14, 2008 at 7:49 pm Reason: language edited; flyertalk rules still apply
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA, DL, OZ, HH/S, MR, PC, SPG, A-Club
It's a sad day for Northwest (Orient)

I grew up with fond memories of Northwest Orient.

Truly a shame that got gobbled into Delta. (Their service always been crummy...)

I don't know what to do with my teeny 16k miles (too little to burn, don't travel enough these days since my agent likes *A), maybe I should switch over to AS Mileage Plan....

I can see consolidation of their domestic hubs.

Anyone care to donate ~8k in WP over to me?

Last edited by eeprofessional; Apr 14, 2008 at 7:49 pm Reason: signature removal
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:48 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by Smailtronic
hell. Way to ruin my night.
Exactly what it did to me.

Ranting to about four random people on AIM right now .. though they're not being a good listeners at all

Edit: Just want to point out .. the foul language was in my quoted post, not mine

Last edited by aSiAnRiCk; Apr 14, 2008 at 7:53 pm Reason: language edited; flyertalk rules still apply
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by twoner32
I just got this email from good ole bob...
OP has already posted it. Not sure if it went to all WP memebrs, whose e-amil address is on file. I am sure it was sent to all Plats, if not all WP members, as my 10 yr old son got it too.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
While Northwest/Delta may be merging and it is a sad day indeed, remember that the Flyertalk Rules and Guidelines are still at play, which includes a ban on profanity.

Thanks,

slippahs
nwa forum co-moderator
Old Apr 14, 2008, 7:54 pm

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by Yaatri
OP has already posted it. Not sure if it went to all WP memebrs, whose e-amil address is on file. I am sure it was sent to all Plats, if not all WP members, as my 10 yr old son got it too.
I received mine as a GE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.