Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

nwa/Delta MERGER: General Discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

nwa/Delta MERGER: General Discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2008, 2:32 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
A "Fantasia" Chimera

Memphis and Cincinnati will not survive. Memphis is too close to Atlanta. If a NW hub goes first, then "DL" gives up CVG, thus also preserving DTW. There will be fewer BOS-LGA-DCA flights. It will be Worldperks => Skymiles at 1:1 (look at when DL got a big piece of Pan Am). Some Worldperks members will find themselves "Million Mile Flyers". The foregoing is already worked out.

UA-CO announces by the day after tomorrow. AA gasps and goes on the hunt big-time, maybe even knows already and announces before UA-CO. (As Bush's closest buddy on the whole playing field, what all this does to AA is paramount.) The airlines know that everything must happen by January. "The devil you know." Including business not knowing what that pesky McCain would do. (OMG, another Teddy Roosevelt? THIS is emblematic of what worries the talking heads' bosses most about McCain.)

Except for what Southwest does, all this means less of everything for us, homage to "worldwide network expansion" notwithstanding.

Sideshow with some of the biggest implications on the plus side for us: Southwest will finally (be) push(-ed) into ATL and MSP to preserve competition. Would say that they buy Alaska or JetBlue, but spokesman recently said "Can't!" and "brick walls" to changes (in aircraft, ETOPS) such moves would require of Southwest. Instead, they just grow the old fashioned way, inevitably. (Cue music from "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" in Fantasia.)
Old Apr 15, 2008, 2:34 am

Man, I just arrived at the NRT WC and when I open my mail
I see this gloomy news. I am sitting on nearly 900k miles
plus 10 r/t from BizPerks. What to do? 40 years since I
started in this business, so many carriers have disappeared.
It's a shame, and it just does not end. I have already missed
the old NW Orient, now I will miss NW, a good friend since
PANAM and NW shared their Asian destinations for so many
decades. I just recovered from being bummed out over Aloha's
demise, now this. When will it end???
Old Apr 15, 2008, 2:34 am

NW pilots are already on the record against the merger. From the AP tonight:

"Northwest pilots concluded it was an arrangement to 'try to disadvantage the Northwest pilots economically and with respect to our seniority,' Northwest pilot chairman Dave Stevens wrote in a memo late Monday.

'No pilot group is going to put up with this. No amount of money can sustain a carrier which creates this level of discord,' he wrote.

So... how are they not going to put up with this?[/QUOTE]

Remember last summer and all of the cancellations? That will be a cake walk compared with what they can do.

IAM is twisted because they were never consulted. Think BAA has problems with luggage?

The Flight Attendant group is really working hard to get their problems worked out. The trouble of course is management getting in the way.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Man, I just arrived at the NRT WC and when I open my mail
I see this gloomy news. I am sitting on nearly 900k miles
plus 10 r/t from BizPerks. What to do? 40 years since I
started in this business, so many carriers have disappeared.
It's a shame, and it just does not end. I have already missed
the old NW Orient, now I will miss NW, a good friend since
PANAM and NW shared their Asian destinations for so many
decades. I just recovered from being bummed out over Aloha's
demise, now this. When will it end???
Burn like there's no tomorrow.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 2:45 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
A "Fantasia" Chimera

Memphis and Cincinnati will not survive. Memphis is too close to Atlanta. If a NW hub goes first, then "DL" gives up CVG, thus also preserving DTW. There will be fewer BOS-LGA-DCA flights. It will be Worldperks => Skymiles at 1:1 (look at when DL got a big piece of Pan Am). Some Worldperks members will find themselves "Million Mile Flyers". The foregoing is already worked out.

UA-CO announces by the day after tomorrow. AA gasps and goes on the hunt big-time, maybe even knows already and announces before UA-CO. (As Bush's closest buddy on the whole playing field, what all this does to AA is paramount.) The airlines know that everything must happen by January. "The devil you know." Including business not knowing what that pesky McCain would do. (OMG, another Teddy Roosevelt? THIS is emblematic of what worries the talking heads' bosses most about McCain.)

Except for what Southwest does, all this means less of everything for us, homage to "worldwide network expansion" notwithstanding.

Sideshow with some of the biggest implications on the plus side for us: Southwest will finally (be) push(-ed) into ATL and MSP to preserve competition. Would say that they buy Alaska or JetBlue, but spokesman recently said "Can't!" and "brick walls" to changes (in aircraft, ETOPS) such moves would require of Southwest. Instead, they just grow the old fashioned way, inevitably. (Cue music from "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" in Fantasia.)
Old Apr 15, 2008, 3:00 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Wow- is there anybody else who thinks some of this merger activity has any positive implications?

I'm primarily an international flyer (in J/C) and am hoping this consolidation gives NWDL and UACO the resources to pick up their acts on international routes. While I think the 4 airlines could expand coverage internationally without combining, I don't see they having the resources separately to do fleet upgrades and new plane acquisitions to really stay competitive. If they don't stay competitive the other carriers around the world will eat their lunch, the money losing US domestic markets will bleed them dry and we wont have any FF programs left at all...
Old Apr 15, 2008, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Firewind
Memphis and Cincinnati will not survive. Memphis is too close to Atlanta. ....
Echo, echo, echo....
Old Apr 15, 2008, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Red face Santa Claus is coming to town!

So how is this going to cover the kerosene they burn when oil is $110/barrel & rising?

No hubs closing.

Nobody laid off.

Only a very small number (12, as I recall) of overlapping routes.

Everybody will be happy. Employees will get travel passes on both airlines ASAP (will NW employees still have to pay for theirs?)

HQ in Atlanta. Oh heck, we'll have an HQ at MSP, too. Anyone else need an HQ?

What am I missing here?

Has anyone seen Rudolph?

Maybe if I shuddup for another week I will see the light and experience the bliss.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by stephem
Wow- is there anybody else who thinks some of this merger activity has any positive implications?

I'm primarily an international flyer (in J/C) and am hoping this consolidation gives NWDL and UACO the resources to pick up their acts on international routes. While I think the 4 airlines could expand coverage internationally without combining, I don't see they having the resources separately to do fleet upgrades and new plane acquisitions to really stay competitive. If they don't stay competitive the other carriers around the world will eat their lunch, the money losing US domestic markets will bleed them dry and we wont have any FF programs left at all...
There are no advantages to the consumer through these mergers...none whatsoever. At the end of the day it is competition that keeps prices low and service up. When you boil everything down to 2 global alliances you have a massive case of "Hub captivity" for all. I wish there were an upside but I for one do not see any.

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
So how is this going to cover the kerosene they burn when oil is $110/barrel & rising?

No hubs closing.

Nobody laid off.

Only a very small number (12, as I recall) of overlapping routes.

Everybody will be happy. Employees will get travel passes on both airlines ASAP (will NW employees still have to pay for theirs?)

HQ in Atlanta. Oh heck, we'll have an HQ at MSP, too. Anyone else need an HQ?

What am I missing here?

Has anyone seen Rudolph?

Maybe if I shuddup for another week I will see the light and experience the bliss.

You are missing the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy

If anyone actually believes that crap then they deserve what they get. There WILL be Layoffs (Lots of them), there will be SEVERAL hub closures, WP ABSOLUTLEY will be devalued, and prices will go up. There is no silver lining here...just good ole fashioned ice cold business decisions.

Last edited by thezipper; Apr 25, 2008 at 9:46 am Reason: Consecutive Posts by OP
Old Apr 15, 2008, 3:56 am

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by avidflyer
You are missing the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy

If anyone actually believes that crap then they deserve what they get. There WILL be Layoffs (Lots of them), there will be SEVERAL hub closures, WP ABSOLUTLEY will be devalued, and prices will go up. There is no silver lining here...just good ole fashioned ice cold business decisions.
I agree. Reducing costs = reducing jobs. The HUB reduction is the obvious next step. Though I am not sure where I go next, this is a very sad day. With the UA/Co merger looming now and my complete disdain for AA, I may be forced to stay. Ah, freedom of choice......

My problem with staying is that I am not sure on whom or what to put my trust that good decisions will be made. The track record is very dicey in that department.

Flying ain't what it used to be - when one could be a human and be treated like one every time.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Tedeman
I agree. Reducing costs = reducing jobs. The HUB reduction is the obvious next step. Though I am not sure where I go next, this is a very sad day. With the UA/Co merger looming now and my complete disdain for AA, I may be forced to stay. Ah, freedom of choice......

My problem with staying is that I am not sure on whom or what to put my trust that good decisions will be made. The track record is very dicey in that department.

Flying ain't what it used to be - when one could be a human and be treated like one every time.

Sad day indeed.

I sent a TTU today asking if NW was going to run a double EQM for the same amount of time. I also asked about the NW SWU program for next year as I am not even thinking about going past 75K (I am almost there now) until I hear that SWU's will pull from the C and F buckets next year. Obviously, I don't expect anyone to know the answers to these questions but I want NW management to know we are thinking about them long an hard. If they do not do anything about the double EQM devaluation I will start booking AA immediately. I can get to plat with them if I start now.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 4:19 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Delta=low quality

Well, the fact that Delta Skymiles is inferior to Worldperks has been established on this board and discussed ad nauseaum.

I'll also observe that Delta and Comair scored low in the latest airline quality measures. Amongst the legacies Delta was close to the bottom (only USairways had a worse quality rating). Comair also scored low.

So not only do we have to look forward to a devaluation in our FF miles, we also have to suffer with low quality Delta. Link - http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/04/06...f=mpstoryemail
Old Apr 15, 2008, 4:31 am

Programs: LT Platinum Marriott/Starwood; Exec Plat AA; LT Plat AA
Originally Posted by SirJman

You can be assured that your WorldPerks miles and Elite program status will be unaffected by this news. In addition, you can continue to earn miles with confidence on Northwest and all of our mileage partners.

Sincerely,
Doug Steenland
President and CEO
Northwest Airlines

Yeah, since WP is going away... i'm 100% positive that WP will be unaffected... Now its sit and wait to see if SkyMiles takes any of the goodness from WP, or stays the same. If it stays the same good by SkyTeam. I cannot do any program on Miles... but I can do any on segments And most of my fares are in Y/B with $1000-1200 range per ticket! I guess time will tell if DL wants my ~$50K/yr
Old Apr 15, 2008, 4:36 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
I have no clue about how easy or how difficult it is to use SkyMiles to redeem on SQ, but you were misinformed about the difficulty of redeeming MileagePlus miles on SQ. I have found it extremely easy to redeem on SQ in the past using my UA miles, even more so than redeeming on UA's own flights. Now, if you were told that it is very difficult to find inventory on SQ's new premium cabin product on the 77W and impossible on the 380, that undoubtedly is correct. But the 744s and the rest of the fleet still offer redemption opportunities aplenty, at least for Star Alliance redemptions. And as good as the 380 and 77W product evidently is, the older Raffles product is hardly chopped liver.
I stand corrected. He did mentioned about the premium cabin.

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
I'm glad you brought this up. I remember about a year ago how NW said they were able to "lock in" oil price at $90 some bucks per barrel. What ever happened with this deal?

Last edited by slippahs; Apr 20, 2008 at 10:56 pm Reason: merging two posts
Old Apr 15, 2008, 4:47 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Sad day indeed.

I sent a TTU today asking if NW was going to run a double EQM for the same amount of time. I also asked about the NW SWU program for next year as I am not even thinking about going past 75K (I am almost there now) until I hear that SWU's will pull from the C and F buckets next year. Obviously, I don't expect anyone to know the answers to these questions but I want NW management to know we are thinking about them long an hard. If they do not do anything about the double EQM devaluation I will start booking AA immediately. I can get to plat with them if I start now.
Lets us know what you hear avid....I flew 175k last yr, i will hit 75k here by the end of April. I am a little bit more captive living in MSP. You are absolutly right if they do not pull from the C/F bucket than i might as well actually start flying the cheapest most effecient carrier to my final destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.