Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Any more FTers for the last scheduled DC10 NW98 07JAN07 HNL/MSP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any more FTers for the last scheduled DC10 NW98 07JAN07 HNL/MSP?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2007, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by Phil2016
I get into MSP at 10am tomorrow morning...will have to swing by F10 to see if the old bird happens to still be sitting there or if she's been towed into the sunset by then.
Well, the -10 was long gone, replaced by the 330 bound for HNL at F10 when I arrived in MSP today.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
742 Retirement DO

Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Next one is the 742. We all agreed this morning to be on it. Let's fill it.
That's... um... a LOT of seats.

Did we get an estimated date for that one, by the way?
Old Jan 8, 2007, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Charter Member, 3 Million Miler, Hertz Pres Club, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Next one is the 742. We all agreed this morning to be on it. Let's fill it.
Any idea of when, where, etc?
Old Jan 8, 2007, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Allanf
Any idea of when, where, etc?
I don't know if they told us, but hey, we could always start a thread about it and see if anyone remembers.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
One DC-10 (probably N234NW, given the amount of frost already on it) was parked by MN5/I494 as we left about 6:30.

Originally Posted by Phil2016
Well, the -10 was long gone, replaced by the 330 bound for HNL at F10 when I arrived in MSP today.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
I'm not so sure the 742's finale will be so popular. These days I believe it flies only out of NRT, so it will be a lot more expensive, especially for those travelling on miles. Secondly, it's not the last of its type, merely the last of a model, and it might not really be the last of the model: The 742's are often retained as freighters. The 744's will continue flying for years, and there may well be 747-800's in NW's future.

If NW wants the 742's last run to resemble NW 98, they should consider subbing it a beach run from HNL or bring it home on a routing like NRT-SEA-MSP to make it more accessible.

The DC-10 was the last of its type and the last of the three-holers. The trip this morning marked the end of an era.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Thumbs up

Great pix! I wish they had FTer boarding before F on more flights
Old Jan 8, 2007, 5:30 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Any idea which class they're booked in or when they will check-in? We've got more than enough lounge access to go around and if they'd like to join us, it would be an honor to guest the captain and his wife in.
And having not even read this post before now, we did find them and had "forced" them into our family. They were truly a treat to have (look for more about them in my trip report... but they made this even more special for me.)
Old Jan 9, 2007, 5:51 am

Hopefully the next big party will the be the retirement of the CRJ-200! NW could make money by charging 10 dollars to rent a baseball bat and have five minutes alone with the airplane! (I wouldn't mind increasing the leg room in a few seats via the old baseball bat method)
Old Jan 9, 2007, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by humanoid94
Hopefully the next big party will the be the retirement of the CRJ-200! NW could make money by charging 10 dollars to rent a baseball bat and have five minutes alone with the airplane! (I wouldn't mind increasing the leg room in a few seats via the old baseball bat method)
I'd settle for a world in which the TSA is no longer necessary. The party would involve liquids, gels (I've heard that some of the more spreadable French cheeses even qualify), sharp objects, laptops, video cameras, and shoes...
Old Jan 9, 2007, 7:02 am

Programs: DL PM, Multi-year NW PE, CO SE, Former F9 Ascent
Originally Posted by humanoid94
Sign me up!
Old Jan 10, 2007, 6:35 pm

DC-10 Retirement Website

I've put up a simple website for us to gather all items related to this DC-10 retirement. There are a couple of photo sets up there as well. The website can be found here:

http://www.dc10retirement.com/
Old Jan 10, 2007, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
I've put up a simple website for us to gather all items related to this DC-10 retirement. There are a couple of photo sets up there as well. The website can be found here:

http://www.dc10retirement.com/
This is great! Thanks for putting this up, SchmutzingMSP.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 6:44 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Great site! Perhaps a seatguru screen capture of the DC-10-30 layout would be a good addition to the site before seatguru takes it offline.

OT, but perhaps there's someplace we can stick the floorplan of the Avro as well?
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:15 pm

Programs: WorldPerks
Originally Posted by hoyateach
Great site! Perhaps a seatguru screen capture of the DC-10-30 layout would be a good addition to the site before seatguru takes it offline.

OT, but perhaps there's someplace we can stick the floorplan of the Avro as well?
Hi -

Thank you everyone for sending me your photos - and for those who posted to their own sites as well. I just got done posting the new ones I've received in the last 24 hours; they're posted on the "NWA Moments" gallery on Flickr if you're interested and I <think> more are coming. I know I have a big chunk that were taken on the outbound (NW99 MSP-HNL on 1/7) that I'll post as well.

It's been great looking at the pictures; wish I'd been there!

Jon Austin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.