Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Any more FTers for the last scheduled DC10 NW98 07JAN07 HNL/MSP?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any more FTers for the last scheduled DC10 NW98 07JAN07 HNL/MSP?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2007, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
My guess is they dont want a big, messy oversell at the gate on the final DC-10 flight.
We should mess rev. management up and all just no-show.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
So the flight is now zeroed out, even though it's not really any "fuller." Nothing left to sell though.
...and if a buncha plats decide they want guaranteed seats...?
Old Jan 5, 2007, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by DanTravels
...and if a buncha plats decide they want guaranteed seats...?
Well don't discount GEs wanting to do this. But, you have to book full Y to be guaranteed. And, I wouldn't even know what would happen if a Plat wanted to get in on the FC fun...
Old Jan 5, 2007, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by slippahs
And, I wouldn't even know what would happen if a Plat wanted to get in on the FC fun...
Some poor Waikiki'd sap that checked in 46 mins. prior would get IDB'd assuming they didn't get any VDBs.
Old Jan 5, 2007, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Some poor Waikiki'd sap that checked in 46 mins. prior would get IDB'd assuming they didn't get any VDBs.
Are Plats really entitled to confirmed FC? I thought that rule only applied to int'l WBC with the purchase of a full J ticket?
Old Jan 5, 2007, 10:20 pm

Programs: WorldPerks
Looking for pics...

Hello FlyerTalk members...

I'm working with NWA to help document the retirement flights this Sunday and would love to enlist your help in this effort by asking those of you carrying digital cameras to snap as many pictures as you can before, during and after the trip and send them to me. With your permission, we'll post them on the company's intranet, in the company paper and on NWA's external photo gallery on Flickr.com at http://www.flickr.com/photos/nwa/

We will, of course, give the photographer all appropriate credit and you will have the sincere thanks of a whole bunch of NWA employees who are feeling nostalgic about the end of the DC-10 era after 34 years.

Subject matter can be most anything associated with the trip...the people, the aircraft, the scenery, etc.

If this sounds fun, please feel free to contact me at [email protected] (you can e-mail the pictures right to that address or we'll make arrangements to upload them via FTP or burn them to a CD).

Thanks in advance for your consideration of this request and for those of you traveling on Sunday, have a great time!

Jon Austin
Old Jan 5, 2007, 11:08 pm

I'm working with NWA to help document the retirement flights this Sunday and would love to enlist your help in this effort by asking those of you carrying digital cameras to snap as many pictures as you can before, during and after the trip and send them to me. With your permission, we'll post them on the company's intranet, in the company paper and on NWA's external photo gallery on Flickr.com at http://www.flickr.com/photos/nwa/

We will, of course, give the photographer all appropriate credit and you will have the sincere thanks of a whole bunch of NWA employees who are feeling nostalgic about the end of the DC-10 era after 34 years.

Subject matter can be most anything associated with the trip...the people, the aircraft, the scenery, etc.

If this sounds fun, please feel free to contact me at [email protected] (you can e-mail the pictures right to that address or we'll make arrangements to upload them via FTP or burn them to a CD).

Thanks in advance for your consideration of this request and for those of you traveling on Sunday, have a great time!

Jon Austin
Old Jan 6, 2007, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP
NWA DC-10 Info

I got this message from a Yahoo Group mailing and thought it might be an interesting read. Due credit to Jan Koppen.

The last flight for 1237 is scheduled MSP-HNL

‑CURRTG 1237 / _ / _ CURRENT AIRCRAFT ROUTING ASSIGNMENT
LOC:MSP FL: 98/03 RMK: STP: T/1A01 C/SI01 D/MEL
L/O FLT-DT ORG ETD ETA DST END E/TM ACC/TM 301:05 2804 10
: 99-05 MSP 1730 0213 HNL 8:17 8:17 292:48 2803 9
2:07 98-05 HNL 0420 1154 MSP MSP 7:10 15:27 285:38 2802 9

: RE: DC10 info, history

For 1234, this aircraft was the 188th (of 446 total produced by McDonnell
Douglas Corporation) DC-10 (can't forget to put the dash between the alpha and
numeric!) built. It was originally delivered to to Korean Airlines on February
10, 1975. NW acquired it on August 7, 1996.

For 1237, this aircraft was the 336th built. It was originally delivered to
VARIG on November 10, 1980. NW acquired it on December 30, 1997.

As you can see, neither aircraft was among the last six built although at one
time, we did operate 5 of the last 7 (excluding freighters) DC-10s ever built.

The first DC-10 rolled out of the Long Beach, CA facility on July 29, 1970.
The last rolled out on July 25, 1989.

The first DC-10-40 (Ship 1143) was delivered to NW on November 10, 1972. The
first DC-10-40 manufactured for NW was Ship 1141 on January 25, 1972. After the
certification flight test program, it became the 3rd DC-10-40 aircraft delivered
to NW, on June 13, 1973.

The last DC-10-40 delivered to NW was Ship 1162, arriving on December 6, 1974.

The first DC-10-30 to enter service at NW was 1211 on May 31, 1991.

NW was the only operator to acquire the P&W powered DC-10-40 until JAL
acquired a group of 20 between 1975 and 1983. The NW and JAL DC-10-40s were the
only P&W powered DC-10s ever built although JAL used a different model of the
JT9D than the NW aircraft.

The attached file shows the complete NW-specific historical flight hours and
flight cycles for the DC-10 fleet as of today. Based on an average speed of 535
MPH, NW flew the DC-10s nearly 1.35 Billion miles. That's equivalent to flying
two round trips from Earth to Jupiter.

One interesting tidbit about 1237 was that this aircraft was used to transport
Pope John Paul during his Brazilian visit in 1991. The entire A zone was
reconfigured with 2 seats, one for the Pope and one for his assistant.

DC10 History at Northwest Airlines
Northwest began operating the DC10 in 1972, when the first aircraft arrived from
an order placed in 1968 for 22 new airplanes. The airline was one of a small
number of carriers to fly the DC10-40 version, providing it with a competitive
advantage in range, operational costs and engine commonality with the Pratt and
Whitney-powered Boeing 747s in its fleet. The first route for the 236-passenger
aircraft was flight 72 from the Twin Cities to Milwaukee to Tampa, Fla.
In 1989, Northwest began acquiring the 273-seat DC10-30, primarily for
trans-Atlantic service. Northwest’s DC10 fleet peaked in size at 45 aircraft in
2001, consisting of 21 DC10-40s and 24 DC10-30s. It retired the last of its
DC10-40s in late 2002. The airline’s remaining two DC10 aircraft in service are
all from the -30 series, including five of the last six of the type to be built
at the then McDonnell Douglas Long Beach, Calif. production facility.
-Will
Old Jan 6, 2007, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Jon Austin.

I'll be sending you my photos, and hopefully several others will do the same.

This is also the first time, I believe, than anyone from NW has posted in FlyerTalk in an official capacity. Let's hope that it is just the beginning!

Mike

Originally Posted by jonaustin

Jon Austin
Old Jan 6, 2007, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
I dropped by NWA checkin at HNL about 30 mins ago and alerted them to the presence of 20+ flyertalkers at the desk tomorrow afternoon for 98.

So far all my flightcrews (SEA-OGG, OGG-HNL) liked the sweatshirt top.

As for the chaos at OGG yesterday that's another thread.

RTS
Old Jan 6, 2007, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by redtailshark
I dropped by NWA checkin at HNL about 30 mins ago and alerted them to the presence of 20+ flyertalkers at the desk tomorrow afternoon for 98.
And their response?
Old Jan 6, 2007, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
And their response?
Several of them told me they'd heard on the grapevine that a load of pax were coming specifically to fly on 98 tomorrow. The cabin crew on 800 yesterday had also heard the same. I don't know their sources for this info. They'd also heard that management was going to make a big deal of it.

But I gather nobody had actually shown up at the desk in the T-shirt until I did just now. They liked its look!

RTS
Old Jan 6, 2007, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeMpls

This is also the first time, I believe, than anyone from NW has posted in FlyerTalk in an official capacity. Let's hope that it is just the beginning!

Mike
I will be taking lots of pics too. I will be starting with the dinner which I am heading off to in a bit.
Old Jan 6, 2007, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls

Mike
Mike -

Thanks for the welcome and the photos! I think you'll have a great time on the flight and it's very cool to be part of a little bit of aviation history!

And, in the interest of full disclosure, I'm a consultant for NW, not an employee (though I used to be); accordingly, please don't take anything I post as "official spin" from the Red Tail!

<g>

Jon Austin
Old Jan 7, 2007, 12:28 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 2MM, HHonors Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
Another Special Guest

I'm at the JW Marriott Ihilani on Oahu and bumped into a Captain Larry Branscomb and his wife. I'm not taking this flight (going back Jan 7 on CO #12 to LAX). We got to talking and Captain Branscomb is a retired NW pilot whose retirement flight was MSP-HNL on a DC-10. I believe he was a NW Captain for something like 37 years. He and his wife bought tickets to get on this flight, which is obviously something very special for him. He seems to love the DC-10!

I told him about the group of FTers taking this flight for nostalgia-sake and he seemed surprised about all the hoopla regarding this flight. Captain and Mrs. Branscomb are extremely nice and thanked me for flying Northwest and supporting the airline. He's going to try to get to the airport early.

Thought everyone would like to know.

Enjoy the flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.