Reload this Page >

LGA-JFK / JFK-LGA Airport Connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: headinclouds
All members are invited to contribute information and links to this wikipost.

This wikipost can be displayed or hidden using the square +/– button on the upper right.

For general information, see the Port Authority website: http://www.panynj.gov/airports/lga-airport-connections.html

Options for LGA-JFK and JFK-LGA connections
Print Wikipost

LGA-JFK / JFK-LGA Airport Connections

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2010, 7:09 pm

JFK to LGA on Monday in June

I am flying into JFK on Swiss. The flight is scheduled to arrive at 3pm on Monday June 28th. There is a 6:59 flight on AirTran to Virginia from LGA. Will I make it? Or another option is a USair flight that leaves at 8:29. I don't want to transfer airports but, the fares including the transfers are still cheaper. i would really like to take the 6:59.

If the Swiss flight is on time, i can't imagine not making the flight. But if we miss the flight, that's it for the day.

What would you do?

Thank you
Old Mar 8, 2010, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by tcocktail
I am flying into JFK on Swiss. The flight is scheduled to arrive at 3pm on Monday June 28th. There is a 6:59 flight on AirTran to Virginia from LGA. Will I make it? Or another option is a USair flight that leaves at 8:29. I don't want to transfer airports but, the fares including the transfers are still cheaper. i would really like to take the 6:59.

If the Swiss flight is on time, i can't imagine not making the flight. But if we miss the flight, that's it for the day.

What would you do?

Thank you
It's a tough call. If your Swiss flight is on time, it should be an easy transfer to make. If you're an hour late, you still should be ok. Much later than that, and it's getting a little nerve racking, especially if you are not a U.S. citizen and thus subject to the longer immigration process.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie
It's a tough call. If your Swiss flight is on time, it should be an easy transfer to make. If you're an hour late, you still should be ok. Much later than that, and it's getting a little nerve racking, especially if you are not a U.S. citizen and thus subject to the longer immigration process.

Thanks for your response. yes I am a US citizen so that takes care of that problem. If it were you which flight would you take?

Thanks
Old Mar 8, 2010, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, AS MVP Gold. Happily ex-1K, ex-Exec Plat, ex-DL Diamond for 5 years each
Thanks for your response. yes I am a US citizen so that takes care of that problem. If it were you which flight would you take?

Thanks
What's the fare difference between AirTran and US Air, and are there any earlier flights on US Air? US charges $50 for standby, so maybe book the later US Air flight and then hope to get on something earlier. Also, you might be able to book all the flights through US (*A), in which case US would be more likely to help you out in the event of a delayed LX flight.

I think that you will make the 6:59 AirTran flight, and that's what I'd probably do -- but I have a high tolerance for these sorts of things, and a place to stay in the NYC metro area if I'm SOL.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by ldpeters
What's the fare difference between AirTran and US Air, and are there any earlier flights on US Air? US charges $50 for standby, so maybe book the later US Air flight and then hope to get on something earlier. Also, you might be able to book all the flights through US (*A), in which case US would be more likely to help you out in the event of a delayed LX flight.

I think that you will make the 6:59 AirTran flight, and that's what I'd probably do -- but I have a high tolerance for these sorts of things, and a place to stay in the NYC metro area if I'm SOL.
First let me say, that Airtran flies into Newport News , Va which is 15 minutes from my house and the US air flight flies in Richmond, which is 40 minutes. I would much rather fly Airtran. US Air has a 6:01pm flight then the 8:29. The flights are just about the same price, except that Airtrans baggage fee is less. But if we miss the Airtran flight, that's it. Then we have to buy a full fare ticket the next day. It's going to be a LONG day. I wish Jet Blue still had the later flight from JFK.

When I look at at Flight Stats, LX22 has an average delay of 40.0 minutes with a standard deviation of 58.05 minutes.

Last edited by tcocktail; Mar 9, 2010 at 6:48 am
Old Mar 9, 2010, 9:42 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
If you're worried about it, I'd look into what kind of protection you would get in case of a misconnect (assuming you are buying this on one itinerary). Swiss and US are both in Star Alliance, so that may make things a bit smoother.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 1:12 pm

This is on a Wed in July, 1 ticket, 1 checked bag, business class.
US BOS-LGA 4:00pm-5:15pm
LX JFK-ZRH departing 8:55pm
I figure 3hr 40m is fine, but it's close to rush hour so I thought I'd ask. Would it be overkill to take the 3pm shuttle?

I haven't done LGA-JFK for 6-7 years, but then it was a quiet Sat. morning with no bags and the bus took only 20 minutes. Thanks.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by rrgg
This is on a Wed in July, 1 ticket, 1 checked bag, business class.
US BOS-LGA 4:00pm-5:15pm
LX JFK-ZRH departing 8:55pm
I figure 3hr 40m is fine, but it's close to rush hour so I thought I'd ask. Would it be overkill to take the 3pm shuttle?

I haven't done LGA-JFK for 6-7 years, but then it was a quiet Sat. morning with no bags and the bus took only 20 minutes. Thanks.
Maybe, but if I was in your shoes and could easily change to the 3PM shuttle I'd do it for more piece of mind. Delays getting into LGA and throw in some god awful traffic from LGA to JFK (right around rush hour) and those three hours can get depleted very quickly.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What would you do?

Thank you
A major runway is closed at JFK and already, extensive delays are anticipated this summer. There is no way to predict if a 4 hour window is enough.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 10:31 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
For the last several months, the traffic on the Van Wyck "expressway" (snalway is more like it) has been bumper to bumper with long delays in both directions starting at about 3 pm and lasting until around 7 pm--throw in an accident (seems to be the case (regularly) lately also), one should allow a minimum of 90 minutes getting between JFK and LGA.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 5:15 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Very happy with the express bus JFK-LGA

- Comfortable well-spaced seats, in case you do get caught for hours in the traffic
- Board at T7 where it seems to start its terminal-hop to get the best seats, or for the quickest journey board at T4 15 minutes later when it is leaving.
- Weekend journey-time about 25 minutes

Also, was staying at the Hampton Inn LaGuardia - the newest and best of the airport Hilton properties - and was able to bung the driver $10 to drop me at the hotel. Cost $13 + $10 door to door
Old May 18, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA 1K
I had to transfer between JFK and LGA last week (AA arrival at JFK, Delta Shuttle out of LGA Marine Air terminal) Decided against car service, given many bad experiences trying to find them (and associated waiting fees)

My advice is to give yourself AT LEAST TWO HOURS to be safe. I assumed it would be no more than 30 minutes between the two airports at 10am on a Friday, but I was (very) wrong.

The ride took a bit over an hour- the expressway was anything but!! Cab fare was $35 + tip.

Happy travels!

Originally Posted by nrr
For the last several months, the traffic on the Van Wyck "expressway" (snalway is more like it) has been bumper to bumper with long delays in both directions starting at about 3 pm and lasting until around 7 pm--throw in an accident (seems to be the case (regularly) lately also), one should allow a minimum of 90 minutes getting between JFK and LGA.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
LGA to JFK travel advise

We are a party of 4 going from LGA to JFK. Out flight arrives at 1:55 pm at LGA and the international flight from JFK on Egypt air is at 6:30 pm. Is this sufficient time accounting for nominal flight delays. (4 hrs 35 mins).

What is the best method of going between the airports ? Taxi or Shuttles and which is cheaper.

Thanks.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 9:56 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Did you get a chance to review this thread from the Forum FAQ?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...nnections.html
Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:09 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
A taxi would be one charge, probably $30 or so. A shuttle would be per person. It should take 45 minutes or less to go so you probably have plenty of time.

Depending on how much luggage you all have, you may need two cabs if it doesn't fit in the trunk or may want to consider getting a car service so you have a larger car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.