Reload this Page >

LGA-JFK / JFK-LGA Airport Connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: headinclouds
All members are invited to contribute information and links to this wikipost.

This wikipost can be displayed or hidden using the square +/– button on the upper right.

For general information, see the Port Authority website: http://www.panynj.gov/airports/lga-airport-connections.html

Options for LGA-JFK and JFK-LGA connections
Print Wikipost

LGA-JFK / JFK-LGA Airport Connections

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by MIT_SBM
I will arrive at LGA on a Wednesday at 17:20 (touch down time, I presume) on US2178. My international connecting flight is SQ25 departing JFK at 20:35. I will have two checked bags plus my carry-on so public transportation is not an option.

Which one would you recommend for the transfer from LGA to JFK: NYC Airporter ($12) or ETS Airport Shuttle ($10)?
If all goes well, you have plenty of time, but I highly recommend taking a taxi between airports. Expect to pay about $35 all in.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:45 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Blumie
If all goes well, you have plenty of time, but I highly recommend taking a taxi between airports. Expect to pay about $35 all in.
I was thinking the same thing
Old Mar 31, 2012, 6:26 pm

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Originally Posted by CMK10
I was thinking the same thing
Why do you recommend a taxi if I have plenty of time [assuming all goes well]?

Of course, if the plane landed really late or I was delayed at baggage claim I can understand taking a taxi rather than waiting for a bus. But if both bus and taxi depart within 10 minutes or less of one another, why is it better to pay almost 3x (three times) the cost of a bus? Aren't they both subject to the same traffic conditions?

So the only variable would be how many stops the bus will make before reaching my terminal at JFK as opposed to the taxi going directly to the drop-off terminal. Or am I not considering something??
Old Apr 1, 2012, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MIT_SBM
Why do you recommend a taxi if I have plenty of time [assuming all goes well]?

Of course, if the plane landed really late or I was delayed at baggage claim I can understand taking a taxi rather than waiting for a bus. But if both bus and taxi depart within 10 minutes or less of one another, why is it better to pay almost 3x (three times) the cost of a bus? Aren't they both subject to the same traffic conditions?

So the only variable would be how many stops the bus will make before reaching my terminal at JFK as opposed to the taxi going directly to the drop-off terminal. Or am I not considering something??
You're making a lot of assumptions. I guarantee you that the bus will take a lot longer, and although you have enough time, you do not have enough time for an unexpected delay.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 12:29 am

Wink LGA - JFK airport

I will be arriving from Philadelphia to LGA (Terminal C) by US airways Express - arriving at 8:30pm

I have to catch a flight to Dubai (EK 202) leaving from JFK airport Terminal 4 at 11:00pm
So basically i have 2 and a half hours.Even if a take a cab ,Is this doable or is it better to just change my schedule.What will the traffic be like at 9:00pm and low long will it likely take from LGA- JFK
Please advice
Old Apr 2, 2012, 1:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Welcome to FT!
Search is always your friend ... take a look in here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-y...nnections.html
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:20 am

Thank you for the link

A couple of specific queries( which are different form the situation in the link)

1. The time being around 9pm- is the traffic likely to be the same or less than early morn

2. I will have no checked in luggage

3. I can check in for the flight at JKK online and will again have no checked in baggage

So is this possible? Otherwise have to change the entire flight schedule
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:35 am

Hey Calvin,
I've made the change in less time than this. It's not necessarily comfortable, but can definitely be done.

One big note: the taxi line at LGA can be VERY slow moving and long, book a car ahead of time with any limo service (Car-mel, etc.) and have them waiting for you -- it usually costs about $10 more than a cab, and, if the cab line is long, could save you a half hour or more.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With 2-1/2 hours you'll be fine. I definitely would NOT pre-book a car, as finding a pre-booked car often takes longer than waiting in line for a cab. I wouldn't expect the cab line at the US terminal to be long at that hour, but if it is, turn to the left on the side walk and walk back to the cab line near where the US Shuttle exits; that one may be considerably shorter.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With 2-1/2 hours you'll be fine. I definitely would NOT pre-book a car, as finding a pre-booked car often takes longer than waiting in line for a cab. I wouldn't expect the cab line at the US terminal to be long at that hour, but if it is, turn to the left on the side walk and walk back to the cab line near where the US Shuttle exits; that one may be considerably shorter.
That said, here's another option that you might consider:

It seems that you are taking US4182, which departs PHL at 652p. If, instead, you take Amtrak Acela Express train 2122, which departs Philadelphia at 630p, you'll arrive New York Penn Station at 745p. You can then connect to the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) for the 20 minute ride to Jamaica station (there are trains departing at 754p, 808p, 815p and 830p), and then connect to the JFK AirTrain, and make it to JFK by 900p, with a much, much lower risk of something going wrong. (In your current plan, the highest risk of something going wrong is a significant delay on your PHL-LGA flight.) Yes this requires you to make a couple of transfers, but they are relatively easy transfers, even with luggage. (Note that the schedules above are weekday schedules and may be different on weekends. Also note that all of the LIRR trains I've listed are off peak trains -- one way fare of $6.25 -- except for the 754p train, which is a peak train -- one way fare of $8.75.)
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It seems that you are taking US4182, which departs PHL at 652p. If, instead, you take Amtrak Acela Express train 2122, which departs Philadelphia at 630p, you'll arrive New York Penn Station at 745p. You can then connect to the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR) for the 20 minute ride to Jamaica station (there are trains departing at 754p, 808p, 815p and 830p), and then connect to the JFK AirTrain, and make it to JFK by 900p, with a much, much lower risk of something going wrong. (In your current plan, the highest risk of something going wrong is a significant delay on your PHL-LGA flight.) Yes this requires you to make a couple of transfers, but they are relatively easy transfers, even with luggage. (Note that the schedules above are weekday schedules and may be different on weekends. Also note that all of the LIRR trains I've listed are off peak trains -- one way fare of $6.25 -- except for the 754p train, which is a peak train -- one way fare of $8.75.)
I like your advice about taking Amtrak. The one thing I want to add is that we don't know what day of the week the OP is traveling. The Airtrain stops running at Jamaica at 9pm Sunday through Thursday. That could be EARLIER than 9pm as it may mean there is no service at all once the clock hits 9. Who knows. I wouldn't take that risk. I would advise not arriving at the Airtrain in Jamaica later than 8:30pm just to be on the safe side.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Not sure I agree. (Which is a polite way to say I disagree - cab lines really can be horrendous at LGA.)

Much better advice.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
A few points:

You have 2 1/2 hours from when your aircraft door opens until your next flight starts to back away from the gate.

Figure on 20 minutes to get off the plane, traverse LGA to the Taxi Stand, maybe 15-20 minutes to get into a taxi, and then 20 to 30 minutes to your Terminal at JFK. Right there you have already gone through your first hour, and thats if all goes perfectly.

A flight from PHL-NYC is probably the easiest for ATC delay because in reality, its a 20 minute flight, so they aren't going to let you out of PHL until they know you can land at LGA. Even a 30-45 minute delay, and you are screwed.

The train is a good option (no need to pay the top dollar for the Acela, there should be a regional train plus or minus 15 minutes of the Acela's departue time), but you can also consider taking Delta PHL-JFK, not knowing what day you are traveling, they have a flight around 5:45pm out of PHL, which gets you to JFK a comical 90 minutes later. (Thats roughly 60 MPH)

You should be able to interline a bag between the two airlines, which I would reccomend. Less hassle with security, having to lug a bag around, etc.

Anyway, thats my opinion. I would personally never consider an airport transfer on any itinerary, and especially when the result if missing the connecting flight means an overnight at my own expense, and a 24 hour delay in getting to my destination.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:46 am

Thanks everybody for the advice.

I'm travelling on a Thursday,so i guess the train is a good option-will look into it
Old Apr 2, 2012, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The majority of the time that I have taken flights from PHL to LGA, the airplane sat on the tarmac at least a half hour and seldom was wheels up less than an hour behind scheduled push-back time. My observation is those flights are not infrequently cancelled.

That Dash8 or ER145 that you will be riding has the lowest priority among flights waiting to come in to LGA and NY Flow Control just sits on it until everybody else is taken care of before releasing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.