Reload this Page >

LGA-JFK / JFK-LGA Airport Connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: headinclouds
All members are invited to contribute information and links to this wikipost.

This wikipost can be displayed or hidden using the square +/– button on the upper right.

For general information, see the Port Authority website: http://www.panynj.gov/airports/lga-airport-connections.html

Options for LGA-JFK and JFK-LGA connections
Print Wikipost

LGA-JFK / JFK-LGA Airport Connections

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2022, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s just shocking they haven’t put the tap-to-pay CC readers at the AirTrain fare gates. The lines for the Metrocard vending machines are absurd and unnecessary.
ryw likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 10:02 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
That problem is related to how the AirTrain is operated by PANYNJ whereas the subway is run by the MTA. MTA decided to roll out OMNY. PANYNJ didn't join the MTA during the procurement process so now it will take time to switch over.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How difficult is it to install 20 readers? Then they wouldn’t even need to deal with reimbursement from the MTA for Metrocard swipes.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 10:33 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
That would involve being able to purchase 20 readers, which would involve a separate procurement and with that, bureaucratic red tape. (ie was it put out for a fair bidding process, etc)

The OMNY system is built and maintained by Cubic under contract. With the whole chip shortage and uncertainties related to the global supply chain, Cubic probably can't get the readers even if they wanted to. NYC is not the only customer. Boston is rolling out an identical (and probably delayed at this point due to the aforementioned issues) system. PANYNJ would have to pay a pretty penny to jump the line.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 6:27 am

The Port Authority has SMART Link smart card for their PATH system that replaced QuickCard in 2007. While you can refill Smartlink at a Metrocard vending machine on the PATH system it is a different card system than OMNY but ironically is made by Cubic the same company as Metrocard/OMNY system. You can not use Smartlink with OMNY.

In 2019 PATH said they will introduce OMNY by 2022 (gee how many days left) and phase out Smartlink by end of 2023. BUT WAIT, why make things easy. November 2021 the Port Authority said it will implement its own system similar to OMNY but said nothing if the two systems would be compatible. Since 2021 nothing has been announced as the new Port Authority fare collection system but there is a contract with Cubic for a new fare system for the Port Authority that is active.

The vision of one fare over the Tri-State that started with Metrocard will never see the light of day.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott
20 excess readers can easily be found from somewhere in the MTA system - the rear door of MTA buses where thousands of readers are sitting unused, less busy subway stations, etc. But that would require the PA to make an effort at improving the airtrain customer experience, which has never happened.

Now the airtrain turnstiles are starting to jam my easypay metrocard with increasing frequency. What else can the PA do to make paying for the airtrain more difficult?
ijgordon likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
What else can the PA do to make paying for the airtrain more difficult?
Raise JFK and EWR Airtrain(s) fare to $8.25 ($0.25 fare increase) on 1/8/2023.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lrdpenn
Now the airtrain turnstiles are starting to jam my easypay metrocard with increasing frequency.
This has happened once or twice to me.
Old May 18, 2023, 6:38 am

Programs: marriott,spg gold,aa,alaska
Arriving JFK Terminal 8 at I pm, LGA flight departs at 8 pm. Is the NYCAirporter and the ETS Airport shuttle still operating and can you walk up and book them on arrival?
Old May 18, 2023, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by kiwimagic
Arriving JFK Terminal 8 at I pm, LGA flight departs at 8 pm. Is the NYCAirporter and the ETS Airport shuttle still operating and can you walk up and book them on arrival?
ETS offers a shuttle service for $23.92. In my view it's not worth it, especially given how much time you have. Have you considered going in to NYC for a late lunch/early dinner before going to LGA? Either way, public transportation will be significantly cheaper. Taxis will be more expensive, but I'd still opt for that over a shuttle service.

https://www.etsairportshuttle.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.