Reload this Page >

LGA-JFK / JFK-LGA Airport Connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: headinclouds
All members are invited to contribute information and links to this wikipost.

This wikipost can be displayed or hidden using the square +/– button on the upper right.

For general information, see the Port Authority website: http://www.panynj.gov/airports/lga-airport-connections.html

Options for LGA-JFK and JFK-LGA connections
Print Wikipost

LGA-JFK / JFK-LGA Airport Connections

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:24 pm

Programs: LH Senator, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Plat. Previous: UA 1K, AAdvantage Platinum;
LGA -> JFK transfer

I am going to need to transfer from LGA -> JFK with my whole family (wife and 2 kids), plus LOTS of bags (~10-12 checked bags plus carry on)

Given that load what are the best options ... i assume the bus won't work with so many bags and a Taxi won't have trunk space
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:52 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Actually the bus may work best as they can just put all the bags under the bus. It's like $13 per person. Just load the bags up on a cart or two at LGA, load them into a bus, and repeat at JFK.

You are limited to two large bags per person, but if they have space you can take additional ones. I'm sure a few bucks to the driver and there will be no problem should they count them.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:45 am

Is it possible to make this JFK to LGA connection?

Editing to really dumb down the details:

Depart from JFK at 4:30 PM for a flight at LGA at 6:35 PM on a Monday.

Last edited by Doghound; Feb 3, 2010 at 12:04 pm
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:23 pm
In Memoriam

Cutting it real close, figure on somewhere between 25 and 45 minutes if everything is right (traffic and weather) cab time between the airports.

Add in the time it takes to get off the plane, the time it takes to get through security at LGA, and all that it's really close.

I wouldn't do it if I were you there's too much that could go wrong (and that's rush hour which may not impact that route much, but there could be delays)
Old Feb 3, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL 2.945MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond,
Agree with Mike.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:53 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Let me move this to our Travel->NYC forum for more assistance from the experts familiar with traffic patterns. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 3:00 pm
In Memoriam

I should add, which Friday?

This Friday may be snow

Next Friday is the start of a holiday weekend

etc.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
I should add, which Friday?

This Friday may be snow

Next Friday is the start of a holiday weekend

etc.
It's actually a Monday... I think it's best to avoid this connection, if possible. It sounds too close to call it safe. Mind you, a 4:30 PM arrival at JFK would actually be a delay on the flight in question.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:37 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
If you're in a cab at 4.30, it shouldn't be a problem.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 9:54 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Thread now merged - be sure to check upthread for previous reports/thoughts, etc.

/Moderator
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by stevenshev
If you're in a cab at 4.30, it shouldn't be a problem.
Agreed, with some cushion. Two hours is plenty of time to connect between the two. So as long as you account for the fact that the flight to JFK could get delayed, this connection should not be a problem.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 6:38 pm

Thanks to all on this thread!

I am now going to confidently book a series of flights that has the JFK arrival/LGA departure built in... as it is clear from the info in this thread that the connection I am planning is adequate for anything other than an earthquake/Great Fire/Godzilla attack etc....^

P.S. Why? Because the ex-JFK flights require stupidly long layovers.. and a segment in Coach.... for the same effective price....Bah Humbug!
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:39 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Just Commenting From Post #46 Onward:

Anyone ever hear of the Van Wyck?
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Just Commenting From Post #46 Onward:

Anyone ever hear of the Van Wyck?
Not only have I heard on it, but I've spent an inordinate amount of time sitting in traffic on it (as, undoubtedly, you have). So, yes, there's a risk of missing a connection due to traffic, but in general this trip will take 45 minutes or less, even with the traffic. We all have experiences sitting on the Van Wyck for a lot longer than 45 minutes, but that's pretty rare.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:24 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Blumie
Not only have I heard on it, but I've spent an inordinate amount of time sitting in traffic on it (as, undoubtedly, you have). So, yes, there's a risk of missing a connection due to traffic, but in general this trip will take 45 minutes or less, even with the traffic. We all have experiences sitting on the Van Wyck for a lot longer than 45 minutes, but that's pretty rare.
I ride the VW Expwy southbound (M-Th)4 days a week at around 4:30 pm. For the last several weeks, the traffic has been backed up almost to the LIE on a few days--throw an accident in. and one could crawl almost to the Belt Pkwy exit. When I look at the Northbound traffic, they seem to crawling at a similar pace. IMHO, one should allow 1 hour (at the minimum) for a trip between JFK and LGA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.