Reload this Page >

LGA-JFK / JFK-LGA Airport Connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: headinclouds
All members are invited to contribute information and links to this wikipost.

This wikipost can be displayed or hidden using the square +/– button on the upper right.

For general information, see the Port Authority website: http://www.panynj.gov/airports/lga-airport-connections.html

Options for LGA-JFK and JFK-LGA connections
Print Wikipost

LGA-JFK / JFK-LGA Airport Connections

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:32 am

Thank you all. I hoping between now and April a better flight option would come up and I can just make the switch. If not I'll keep my fingers crossed that the flights will be on time.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by jabbermo
If not I'll keep my fingers crossed that the flights will be on time.
No reason to cross your fingers. I'd handicap your odds of making your connecting flight at north of 95%, even when accounting for habitual delays at BOS and LGA.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Blumie
No reason to cross your fingers. I'd handicap your odds of making your connecting flight at north of 95%, even when accounting for habitual delays at BOS and LGA.
If weather appears to be an issue that day, suggest going to BOS earlier and getting on an earlier flight. Also, agree with Blumie, take a cab, the other options are going to be a real pain in the a....s
Old Apr 8, 2008, 2:11 pm

Programs: NW Silver, BD Silver
I'm arriving on NW632 from MEM on a Saturday evening, scheduled to arrive at 18:18pm. I will have at least 1 checked bag, more likely to be 2. I want to get on a flight to London the same night, the last BA flight leaving from JFK is at 22:30pm. Unfortunately it must be BA since I already have the ticket. I'll be in WT+ but I don't think JFK has dedicated check in desks. The NW ticket isn't really flexible either, unless I standby for an earlier flight.

My question is whether or not 4 hours is enough for the connection. A search suggests it is doable unless the flight to LGA is delayed a fair bit. Assuming it takes me an hour to get out of the airport at LGA, there's a Q33 at 19:15 arriving 19:45, then E train from Jackson Heights at 19:52 arriving 20:10, the AirTrain should get my to JFK by 20:30. Of course it could go horribly wrong... Is the shuttle bus between the airports likely to be faster than 1h15mins?

Hmm I think I've answered my own question and there is enough time to do it... Anyone thinks otherwise?
Old Apr 8, 2008, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by yw_a330
I'm arriving on NW632 from MEM on a Saturday evening, scheduled to arrive at 18:18pm. I will have at least 1 checked bag, more likely to be 2. I want to get on a flight to London the same night, the last BA flight leaving from JFK is at 22:30pm. Unfortunately it must be BA since I already have the ticket. I'll be in WT+ but I don't think JFK has dedicated check in desks. The NW ticket isn't really flexible either, unless I standby for an earlier flight.

My question is whether or not 4 hours is enough for the connection. A search suggests it is doable unless the flight to LGA is delayed a fair bit. Assuming it takes me an hour to get out of the airport at LGA, there's a Q33 at 19:15 arriving 19:45, then E train from Jackson Heights at 19:52 arriving 20:10, the AirTrain should get my to JFK by 20:30. Of course it could go horribly wrong... Is the shuttle bus between the airports likely to be faster than 1h15mins?

Hmm I think I've answered my own question and there is enough time to do it... Anyone thinks otherwise?
You'll have plenty of time, but you may not have plenty of time to take public transportation. The odds of your flight to LGA arriving on time are pretty bad. But even if you arrive two hours late (and the odds of your arriving within two hours of the scheduled time are very good), you'll still have two hours to collect your bags and get to JFK, but you'll have to take a taxi at that point.

If you do arrive on time and can get out of LGA within an hour (which should be easy to do), you should be fine taking the Q33 to the E to the AirTrain. Don't rely on the printed schedules -- I don't know how closely they're followed -- but all three run with sufficient frequency that it won't be an issue.
Old Apr 8, 2008, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is also the New York Airport Service bus which goes between LGA and JFK. There is are 6:45, 7:30, and 8pm buses. Just a thought. For more info: http://www.nyairportservice.com/jfk_lga_jfk.html
Old Apr 8, 2008, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
A cab will be much much faster than 1hr 15min. Further, I would not rely on those schedules to be 100% accurate.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 7:27 am
Original Member

How about the reverse...arrive JFK 7 pm on Icelandair, leave LGA 910 pm on American Eagle. I'm cautiously optimistic with a cab that this will be doable at these hours...
Old Apr 25, 2008, 8:28 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by jamiel
How about the reverse...arrive JFK 7 pm on Icelandair, leave LGA 910 pm on American Eagle. I'm cautiously optimistic with a cab that this will be doable at these hours...
Normally no problem -- 30 min by cab and 15 min security line at LGA at those hours. But Icelandair is notorious for being late .... also you could hit a snag in immigration/customs which can easily add an hour or 2 (or 3, this being JFK).
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
That is really tight. 7PM is major rush hour at JFK with all of the Europeon flights departing. Incoming flights are often placed into holding patterns because of so much outgoing traffic. If the weather is bad you could well be totally s...d

You will need to be in line to check in at LGA by 840PM. Traffic on Grand Central could also still be a tad slow. And the 910PM flight of course is the last out, so if you don't arrive on time you are either looking for a hotel or sleeping in the Terminal. If the event of the latter, there are some benches between Courcourse C and D but it often looks like a homeless shelter.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 10:57 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

There can be significant cab queues at JFK as well. You could prearrange a meet-and-greet limo (I wouldn't use the cheapie limo services for this purpose). My guess is that if you have checked baggage, the odds are you won't make it and with only carry-on it is still problematic.

However, working in your favor is that it is quite possible your outbound flight will be late.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.4 mm, Starwood PLT
LGA to JFK Transfer Question

I have booked 1st class mileage saver to LHR from STL, only rub is I need to fly to LGA first and then find my way to JFK. I am assuming I need will check bags first to LGA then collect my bags and hop a taxi to JFK for the TATL flight. Seems like it should be straight forward. I have 4hrs to make the connection. Anything I am missing? Is there a shuttle service between LGA and JFK?

Is it likely a call to AA would get them to give me a more straightforward routing via ORD or DFW?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT, DL GLD, HHonors Diamond, Priority Club PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by execplatscum
I have booked 1st class mileage saver to LHR from STL, only rub is I need to fly to LGA first and then find my way to JFK. I am assuming I need will check bags first to LGA then collect my bags and hop a taxi to JFK for the TATL flight. Seems like it should be straight forward. I have 4hrs to make the connection. Anything I am missing? Is there a shuttle service between LGA and JFK?

Is it likely a call to AA would get them to give me a more straightforward routing via ORD or DFW?
4 hours is good. even in heavy traffic, it should not take more than 1 hour from door to door (i.e cab line at LGA to T8 at JFK). There are shuttle services (http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTrave...portation.html) but they are slower than a cab.

never hurts to call your PLAT desk and ask..though a change fee may be applicable as you already ticketed using that route (it may be waived if u ask politely...has worked for me).
Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
If you stay with this itinerary, there's lots of discussions in the New York City forum on the options for the ground transfer.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 1:08 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by execplatscum

/AA Mod Hat on
Please continue to follow this thread in the NYC Forum
/AA Mod Hat off

/NYC Mod Hat on
This thread has now been merged into the consolidated thread on this topic, which is also linked from the NYC Welcome Sticky.
/NYC Mod Hat off

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.