Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, UA MP, National EE, Marriott Gold, Avis First, WS Rewards
Originally Posted by D.P. Roberts
I've got a Compact SUV reserved for next weekend. Reservation says "Ford Ecosport or similar", National's site says Jeep Renegade. Has anyone seen any other cars in this aisle? Regular EC, no other status.
The Nissan Rogue Sport and Mitsubishi Outlander Sport would be lumped in as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with an IFAR (Rogue, Tucson, Cherokee, Escape etc)
D.P. Roberts likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:54 am

Picked up car 4th September, had a LCAR reservation. Was given a choice between an Infiniti QX60, or an Audi Q5. We choice the Q5, but it was beaten up badly. Passanger side lamp fell down everytime you would look yourself in the mirror, lots of damages on the front and back, literally no equipment of what so ever. Was actually very disapointed with the equipment of an Audi to be. We had a 3 week reservation, at would drive +5000 miles. After driving to Vegas, it needed maintence (thank god for that) and we were offered a Cadillac XT5, in the luxury trim i think? I had moonroof, blind spot assistance, lane assistance, rear camera, front and back sensors, heated steering wheel and lots of other stuff, which the Audi had none of.

As far as i could see on the car, both were listed as UFAR. I would in the future avoid the Audi though.. It was ok, but as a european i find it more fun to try cars that you really cant have here, perhaps thats also the reason why i liked the cadillac more? And it felt way more luxuryrious compared to the Audi to be honest.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Theduck1992
Picked up car 4th September, had a LCAR reservation. Was given a choice between an Infiniti QX60, or an Audi Q5. We choice the Q5, but it was beaten up badly. Passanger side lamp fell down everytime you would look yourself in the mirror, lots of damages on the front and back, literally no equipment of what so ever. Was actually very disapointed with the equipment of an Audi to be. We had a 3 week reservation, at would drive +5000 miles. After driving to Vegas, it needed maintence (thank god for that) and we were offered a Cadillac XT5, in the luxury trim i think? I had moonroof, blind spot assistance, lane assistance, rear camera, front and back sensors, heated steering wheel and lots of other stuff, which the Audi had none of.

As far as i could see on the car, both were listed as UFAR. I would in the future avoid the Audi though.. It was ok, but as a european i find it more fun to try cars that you really cant have here, perhaps thats also the reason why i liked the cadillac more? And it felt way more luxuryrious compared to the Audi to be honest.
Never take a Euro "luxury" model from National - BMW, Mercedes, Audi - all the same. Totally stripped down with almost no features, the only thing you get is the branding, beyond that you might as well be driving a Ford - but oh wait - I just picked up a Ford Fusion Hybrid SE model with 2 miles on the odometer (just off the truck), sunroof, heads up display (which I can't figure out how to turn on), lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, huge touch screen with backup camera, and working Nav - the XM worked for 3 minutes until the damn thing updated, but I pipe that via my phone and Bluetooth so it doesn't matter.

Every Euro car I've rented has been stripped down junk.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Never take a Euro "luxury" model from National - BMW, Mercedes, Audi - all the same. Totally stripped down with almost no features, the only thing you get is the branding, beyond that you might as well be driving a Ford - but oh wait - I just picked up a Ford Fusion Hybrid SE model with 2 miles on the odometer (just off the truck), sunroof, heads up display (which I can't figure out how to turn on), lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, huge touch screen with backup camera, and working Nav - the XM worked for 3 minutes until the damn thing updated, but I pipe that via my phone and Bluetooth so it doesn't matter.

Every Euro car I've rented has been stripped down junk.
Yeah, the last X3 I got didn't even have a backup camera. Also, the Fusion doesn't come with heads up display in any trim (maybe you're seeing the lights for the collision alert system).
Old Sep 27, 2018, 6:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by xienon
Yeah, the last X3 I got didn't even have a backup camera. Also, the Fusion doesn't come with heads up display in any trim (maybe you're seeing the lights for the collision alert system).
Oh that's possible - OK then, it has a collision alert system (which none of the euro luxury cars come with)
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Oh that's possible - OK then, it has a collision alert system (which none of the euro luxury cars come with)
Yeah, lack of automatic emergency braking on almost all European or GM/FCA cars is also a beef of mine. It comes standard on almost every Nissan, Mazda, and Toyota now (which is why I tend to pick RAV4 or CX-5's for the autobraking and the adaptive cruise control). The fully loaded Rogue SL I had last weekend actually had the Propilot system that maintains both distance and steering within a lane on the highway.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:23 am

First time using FT. Some great information on here. I have read a lot of this thread. Thanks all.
Flying into LAX in a couple of weeks with an LCAR reservation.
Need 4 seats and will cover about 700 miles over course of a week.
Like cars, like tech not worried about mpg. NAV would be a bonus.

Wondering what models people suggest I should be looking out for at the lot?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 4:05 am

Premium SUV (PFAR)

I reserved Premium SUV (PFAR) with alamo. got great price. less than half price of fullsize SUV. Now some friends cancelled travelling and it will be just a family of 5. I am a bit scared about getting Chevy Suburban and to drive and park it in cities LA, LV, SF, ... (Or do I worry to much and it should be ok?)
Are Premium SUV only huge cars like suburban? what can I expect. Also, will they allow me to take Fullsize instead premium? without paying extras? I had Tahoe (full size SUV)last year in florida and I liked it.

thank you!

Last edited by markomb; Nov 5, 2018 at 4:21 am
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, National Exec Elite, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by markomb
I Are Premium SUV only huge cars like suburban?
That's exactly what I expect when I reserve a Premium SUV from National -- and when I have reserved a Premium SUV, it's always been a Suburban or an Expedition. But I understand your hesitation. In my experience, the Suburban and the Expedition (especially the latter) aren't that difficult to drive, certainly not much more than a Tahoe. Whatever issues you'd have with parking a Suburban would probably also be present for a slightly smaller full size SUV. And in terms of vehicle quality and amenities, there's a bit of a dropoff in my experience once you get below full-size SUV -- e.,g. the Standard category can include some fairly average Santa Fe's -- not bad, objectively, but for a family road trip I'd prefer something bigger and nicer.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:05 pm

Will you be driving through or to said big cities? Maybe split the rental into multiple one ways, to avoid expensive long periods of oversize parking surcharges, assuming you find a garage that can even accomodate a Suburban size vehicle?

Twice I found myself behind a Suburban trying to enter a Manhattan parking lot. Most lots were garages in the basement of an apartment building, and so had refused them for lack of height and length space. When they finally found an open air lot, or a building with space, they argued with the attendant over $60/hr fees. Exasperated, they backed up and left.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by xienon
The 2019 X3 has improved a lot. Base trim includes a rearview camera with advanced front/rear sensors.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
Will you be driving through or to said big cities? Maybe split the rental into multiple one ways, to avoid expensive long periods of oversize parking surcharges, assuming you find a garage that can even accomodate a Suburban size vehicle?

Twice I found myself behind a Suburban trying to enter a Manhattan parking lot. Most lots were garages in the basement of an apartment building, and so had refused them for lack of height and length space. When they finally found an open air lot, or a building with space, they argued with the attendant over $60/hr fees. Exasperated, they backed up and left.
Thats the thing I am worried about. We drive joshua tree, grand canyon, death valley, sequoia, HWY 1... but normally, we will stop in Vegas for 2 nights, San Francisco 2 nights and LA 2 nights. I will try using motel things with private parking. I can only not imagine what to do in LA when we want to go to hollywood, venice beach, etc and exploring SF.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
The 2019 X3 has improved a lot. Base trim includes a rearview camera with advanced front/rear sensors.
Backup cameras are now mandated by US law for all the 2019 models and parking sensors are fairly ubiquitous in many non-luxury models.

BMW and other european brands are still pretty bad when it comes to base trim models. I'd rather have alot of other cars before picking a lower end X3.
xienon likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:33 pm

Have a LCAR reservation coming up, and would much prefer a sedan over an SUV. What vehicles would I be likely to get into?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:32 am

Anybody been to this location recently? Having a pick-up on the 24th dec. Not sure what will be on the lot this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.