Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at HNL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by bullsfan1227
To get access to the Executive Selection, book full size (and you'll pay the mid size price).
Wait, is this correct? I'm a first-timer but from what I see on their site, you should be able to book a mid size and get Executive line access if you have the right status. I have a mid size booked for HNL in February through Autoslash but not sure if I should cancel that to book the full size instead if what you said is true. I'm unsure if the full size price is the same as the mid size I got. Anyone else can confirm?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by CrimsonMoose
Wait, is this correct? I'm a first-timer but from what I see on their site, you should be able to book a mid size and get Executive line access if you have the right status. I have a mid size booked for HNL in February through Autoslash but not sure if I should cancel that to book the full size instead if what you said is true. I'm unsure if the full size price is the same as the mid size I got. Anyone else can confirm?
I just rented here and can confirm you're able to access the Executive selections with a mid-size reservation.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 11:42 am

Rented on Sat, 11/17 at 2pm:

Executive section was mostly full and didn't have anything exciting.
Multiple Nissan Rogue and Murano
One VW Jetta and one Tiguan
One Dodge Journey
Other sedans that I don't remember exactly

Took a Murano and surprisingly it had built-in navigation, but the system isn't very user friendly so I didn't use it much.

This location used to let you walk down the aisle and pick your car, but this time the agent just verbally told me what they had and asked me what I want. Not sure if this's the new protocol. I asked if there could be better cars since I'm willing to wait, was told that all convertibles and jeeps are sold out.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 9:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ezak
This location used to let you walk down the aisle and pick your car, but this time the agent just verbally told me what they had and asked me what I want. Not sure if this's the new protocol. I asked if there could be better cars since I'm willing to wait, was told that all convertibles and jeeps are sold out.
Um, the aisle is right behind you. Just take a stroll then come back and tell her what you want.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
I think it depends on the agent and whether there is a line. Plus, some customers aren’t that interested and/or particular, so picking from a list probably moves things along faster.

I usually walk the line ahead of approaching the counter with a few choices ready.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Um, the aisle is right behind you. Just take a stroll then come back and tell her what you want.
I only said the above because I was told NOT to stroll the aisle, which is why this confused me.

When I exited the elevator and made eye contact with the agent, I said "shall I go take a look first" and was told "no please wait in the line here". That's the reason I thought maybe they're changing the protocol. And FWIW there wasn't anyone waiting behind me.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I only said the above because I was told NOT to stroll the aisle, which is why this confused me.

When I exited the elevator and made eye contact with the agent, I said "shall I go take a look first" and was told "no please wait in the line here". That's the reason I thought maybe they're changing the protocol. And FWIW there wasn't anyone waiting behind me.
I would have said, "thanks, I'll just take a quick look."
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:05 pm

Nope, not a policy change. I know this location fairly well (been in a rental car daily from HNL for over 1 year now) and have had contact with many of the agents/managers there.

The bottom line: you can absolutely walk the aisle and pick out a few options to bring to the booth. BUT some agents are less friendly than others. It's probably easier for them to assign you a car than for you to try to tell them what car you want. Maybe they had a bad day or just doesn't want the hassle.

And from an agent's perspective, here's why. You let a customer walk the aisle, then a huge flight comes in and a line starts to form. The next customer walks up and picks out a car from the booth, while you're waiting for the other customer to come back only to find your picked car is taken because people are coming in. And now it becomes more chaotic/annoying. Angry customers and frustrated agents.

They may be trrying to head that off since you never know when it'll get busy.

I've been there on VERY off times (6am and 9pm) where there's very low chance of a busy line, and I've had no issue walking the aisle. In the end its YMMV.

When they finally finish the new rental car facility, it should be like a traditional aisle experience and a smoother/easier experience overall I think
ezak likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I would have said, "thanks, I'll just take a quick look."
No, I would not have said this when the agent just asked me NOT to take a quick look, when I might need a favor from the same agent in a few minutes to get a nicer car.
aSiAnRiCk likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by ginmqi
Nope, not a policy change. I know this location fairly well (been in a rental car daily from HNL for over 1 year now) and have had contact with many of the agents/managers there.

The bottom line: you can absolutely walk the aisle and pick out a few options to bring to the booth. BUT some agents are less friendly than others. It's probably easier for them to assign you a car than for you to try to tell them what car you want. Maybe they had a bad day or just doesn't want the hassle.

And from an agent's perspective, here's why. You let a customer walk the aisle, then a huge flight comes in and a line starts to form. The next customer walks up and picks out a car from the booth, while you're waiting for the other customer to come back only to find your picked car is taken because people are coming in. And now it becomes more chaotic/annoying. Angry customers and frustrated agents.

They may be trrying to head that off since you never know when it'll get busy.

I've been there on VERY off times (6am and 9pm) where there's very low chance of a busy line, and I've had no issue walking the aisle. In the end its YMMV.

When they finally finish the new rental car facility, it should be like a traditional aisle experience and a smoother/easier experience overall I think
Thank you for explaining this. I could totally understand how agents might not want customers to walk the aisle, so I just wanted to share what I experienced this time, in case something is changing. It was in the afternoon when lots of flights are landing so they could very well be preparing for a rush.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
I had an experience a couple years ago during a busy period where someone loaded his family and their luggage into a CR-V on the line (that happened to be unlocked — usually that’s not the case). The agent specifically asked him not to do that since he hadn’t even stood in line yet, but he flat-out ignored her.

I wanted the CR-V and the agent had to tell the less-than-thrilled family to remove their items. Was pretty awkward for me too, but I really wanted to try the CR-V and there was nothing else interesting on the line.

In general, the agents at HNL are very friendly and willing to accommodate a variety of requests, but I can see how difficult we can make their jobs sometimes. Sure, “customer first” and the “customer is always right”— but there should always be mutual respect, for other customers, for the employees, etc.
aSiAnRiCk, ginmqi and ezak like this.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:17 pm

No, I would not have said this when the agent just asked me NOT to take a quick look, when I might need a favor from the same agent in a few minutes to get a nicer car.
Suit yourself. Personally, I don't let service staff bully me around You absolutely have the right to walk the aisle before getting in line to pick up your car.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:45 pm

i was here around 8:30 pm last night (Friday). Executive pickings were slim - Best options were a Murano, a Maxima, and two Accords. The also had a Jeep and two VW convertibles.

The staff at the counter were fantastic though, just super genuine and friendly. Very positive experience, even if the car selection was a bit of a disappointment.
ginmqi likes this.

Last edited by Kacee; Dec 1, 2018 at 11:04 pm Reason: Clarified "Executive" not Emerald Aisle
Old Dec 1, 2018, 8:46 pm

Sunday at 12pm.

EA is bare bones:
Toyota Camry LE
Honda CRV AWD
Nissan Frontier
Hyundai Tucson

ES had a couple interesting vehicle choices:
2 Lincoln Navigator L (quickly taken by 2 people, VERY interesting to see this usually upgrade-only large luxury SUV sitting on the ES aisle)
1 Honda Ridgeline
1 Volkswagen Tiguan
1 Chevrolet 1500 crew cab 4x4 (older gen I believe, no the newest refresh far as I can tell)
Dodge Journey GTs
Nissan Murano SV and SL
Honda Accords (at least 1 Touring model - mine)

The return lanes were almost completely full, cars parked bumper to bumper, filling up all 3 lanes, barely has enough room for 1-2 more cars per lane.
I suspect they were running low in inventory and hence needing to put some vehicles out to ES

Also as I was driving out, the 3rd floor was completely STACKED with dozens of Jeep Wranglers, leaving only 1 lane of exit. Not sure if it's a big group they're expecting (I think it's Avis on this floor) or they are just stacking lot of wranglers in anticipation for the upcoming Christmas/New Year's holiday tourism rush:
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by ginmqi
Also as I was driving out, the 3rd floor was completely STACKED with dozens of Jeep Wranglers, leaving only 1 lane of exit. Not sure if it's a big group they're expecting (I think it's Avis on this floor) or they are just stacking lot of wranglers in anticipation for the upcoming Christmas/New Year's holiday tourism rush:
I noted the same on 3rd floor last night. It's a good bet they're stocking up for the busiest two weeks of the year.
ginmqi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.