MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Allie Abby
i cancelled about 2 months ago , signed up for card again , got message that they let me know in 10 to 15 days or call them , i went for 40000 pts with no spending limit ,dont use card alot ,so to me its a better deal than the offer for 60000 pts .
If you have better cards to spend on or if 2000 is too much for 3 months then you did the right thing. I figure that a value of $175 can be had for spending the required amount if I will be paying for goods anyways. That is not a bad return.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Gold, FPC Plat
i cancelled about 2 months ago , signed up for card again , got message that they let me know in 10 to 15 days or call them , i went for 40000 pts with no spending limit ,dont use card alot ,so to me its a better deal than the offer for 60000 pts .
Thanks, just to confirm, after the 10-15 days did they approve your application or are you still waiting?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
If you have better cards to spend on or if 2000 is too much for 3 months then you did the right thing.
The offer provides 20,000 points to sign up.
It's another 20,000 points for the first $1000 in spend.
It's a further 20,000 points for the second $1000 in spend.

I value 20,000 BW points at close to $80. Certainly they're worth $60.
So for every $1,000 in spend, that's $60 in value.

That's a 6% to 8% return on your spend.

So, yes, everyone should do what's right for them, and don't spend outside your means. But I can't find a return better than 6% on any other card (unless I'm doing other churns, too ).
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by jerry305
The offer provides 20,000 points to sign up.
It's another 20,000 points for the first $1000 in spend.
It's a further 20,000 points for the second $1000 in spend.

I value 20,000 BW points at close to $80. Certainly they're worth $60.
So for every $1,000 in spend, that's $60 in value.

That's a 6% to 8% return on your spend.

So, yes, everyone should do what's right for them, and don't spend outside your means. But I can't find a return better than 6% on any other card (unless I'm doing other churns, too ).
You need to cut your return in half since you get only 20000 points more for spending $2000 as another offer is for 40000 points by spending only a dollar. I just booked 3 nights at Ottawa at a cash value of $175 per night, so my value for that situation is much more than $60 dollars. Can I get an equivalent hotel for that low of a price? I don't know.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
You need to cut your return in half since you get only 20000 points more for spending $2000 as another offer is for 40000 points by spending only a dollar.
Thanks for pointing out the difference.

Cardholders should opt for the existing 40,000 point offer if they don't plan to make a $2,000 spend in the first 90 days.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Originally Posted by MJ777
Thanks, just to confirm, after the 10-15 days did they approve your application or are you still waiting?
This.

Collective wisdom sought: With the BW card, if our churn team of 10 canceled our existing cards now (which we've had for close to 1 year), and then applied for the card before the end of August, any data points on whether MBNA would approve again so soon?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: CX Gold/UA*G/HH Gold/Marriott Plt/SPG Gold/
Just got a letter in the mail today stating the Chase has decided to close my Marriott Visa card effective immediately. I am a bit dumbfounded as I have had this card since 2012, paid the annual fee every year, never late, and never tried to churn it.

Called in and all they will tell me is that Chase has been reviewing accounts and has been deciding to close certain ones. He said it had nothing to do with creditworthiness or the way I have handled the account. All he could tell me is 'Chase has decided they no longer wish to do business with you on this account.' The bank wont reveal that information for business reasons. I was told that I can appeal to the Executive Offices but would likely receive a letter with no further explanation. They also will not refund the annual fee, even a pro-rated amount as it has been over 180 days since I paid the annual fee.

Has anyone else heard of anything like this happening? I don't use the card much for local everyday spend, but I travel regularly and charge several thousand of dollars to this card on my trips. Was going to use for week stay at a Marriott in Thailand Maybe they didnt like to see the spending lulls and sudden spending sprees? Maybe they did make interest off of me? I have no clue!

Any insight anyone could offer would be much appreciated. I was told I could apply for the card again in 6 months (would be much easier to keep my 5 year old card open!) so I guess I am not blacklisted.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by canuck84
Just got a letter in the mail today stating the Chase has decided to close my Marriott Visa card effective immediately. I am a bit dumbfounded as I have had this card since 2012, paid the annual fee every year, never late, and never tried to churn it.

Called in and all they will tell me is that Chase has been reviewing accounts and has been deciding to close certain ones. He said it had nothing to do with creditworthiness or the way I have handled the account. All he could tell me is 'Chase has decided they no longer wish to do business with you on this account.' The bank wont reveal that information for business reasons. I was told that I can appeal to the Executive Offices but would likely receive a letter with no further explanation. They also will not refund the annual fee, even a pro-rated amount as it has been over 180 days since I paid the annual fee.

Has anyone else heard of anything like this happening? I don't use the card much for local everyday spend, but I travel regularly and charge several thousand of dollars to this card on my trips. Was going to use for week stay at a Marriott in Thailand Maybe they didnt like to see the spending lulls and sudden spending sprees? Maybe they did make interest off of me? I have no clue!

Any insight anyone could offer would be much appreciated. I was told I could apply for the card again in 6 months (would be much easier to keep my 5 year old card open!) so I guess I am not blacklisted.
That sounds crazy! Why would they do that? I have churned my Visa card 3 times already and have never paid the annual fee... I would think I might be next! I just cancelled a card and hoped to re-apply....
i will be interested to hear if this is happening to others!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:40 am

i thought same thing , im on my 3rd card , just got it in end of may , my 50,000 posted on my 1st statement,why would they cancel someone paying the fee every yr
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: CX Gold/UA*G/HH Gold/Marriott Plt/SPG Gold/
i thought same thing , im on my 3rd card , just got it in end of may , my 50,000 posted on my 1st statement,why would they cancel someone paying the fee every yr
That is what I don't get. I can only imagine they didn't make enough in swipe fees or that I used almost exclusively for foreign transactions.

The supervisor just reiterated it had nothing to do with my creditworthiness. He said he had been dealing with many of these calls lately. I wonder if this card is on its last legs and they are trying to thin the herd....

Either way I was very unimpressed that they cancelled this card by snail mail after the turned off the card with no notice. They wouldn't budge on the annual fee but told me I could complain to Marriott and Chase Executive Offices in Ottawa.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7
This.

Collective wisdom sought: With the BW card, if our churn team of 10 canceled our existing cards now (which we've had for close to 1 year), and then applied for the card before the end of August, any data points on whether MBNA would approve again so soon?
IIRC the only MBNA card where you cannot have more than one is Alaska! So you don't even need to cancel. But, you should be fine if you're plan is to apply by end of promo.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305
^^^

Here's a rewards chart:
https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/re...em-awards.html

60,000 BW points will get you:

3-4 room nights, or
US $250 in BW gift cards, or
around US $200 in Shell gas gift cards, or
(not as optimal...) 12000 Aeroplan points, or around C $200 in gift cards for Canadian retailers.

So definitely find a way to generate $2000 in spend.
Thanks for posting! I applied and got approved - so 60,000 points coming my way!

I am going to hoard those points for another NYC trip. I did that a few years ago at Christmas time and got 2 nights with my points (and the rooms were ~$350 US a night - so close to $1000 Canadian). So these points can be VERY valuable!!! NYC, here I come!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by canuck84

That's sooo weird! I hope that doesn't happen to me, because I use this card almost exclusively for travel like you - and have had it for 5 years with no churns. I do put restaurant spends on the card, too - so maybe that will help. I do use at Marriott hotels at least a few times a year, so maybe that's what they're looking for, too? Maybe the cards that have been around longer are somehow more expensive to maintain (hence the ease at just reapplying n 6 months). These are all bogus reasons, of course, but what else could it be?! Whatever the reason, this is quite shocking!
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7
This.

When I closed my account,they told me that I could have it reopened within 3 months,subject to approval.

This is why I am waiting for 3 months to pass...before I reapply.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jubberly
When I closed my account,they told me that I could have it reopened within 3 months,subject to approval.

This is why I am waiting for 3 months to pass...before I reapply.
So what you are saying is that they would just reopen the card you cancelled (so no welcome points..)?
Anyone have that happen?

Last edited by Ontariotraveller; Jul 3, 2017 at 5:42 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.