MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Up to now I've been reluctant to sign up for proprietary travel CCs like Avion, BMO World Elite and the like because it would take me more than 1 year to accumulate enough points to fly somewhere worthwhile, and I don't want to pay the AF for year 2.

But I guess if I look at it as a hotel CC then it's not so bad... say, with a $1000 spend per month on avg, I could end up with $540 (including signup bonus) to use on hotel. That might give me around 4 nights if I find a great rate. Not nearly as good as Marriott Visa or SPG Amex, but not all that bad either. If the Mrs and I both sign up it's even better.

How is BMO's booking engine for hotels? Anyone know if the rates are decent?
Old Feb 8, 2015, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by ericosuave
can you still collect points ,such as Aeroplan on flights or Spg , Marriott on hotel bookings ? If yes that would be a pretty good card to have .
I have MC World Elite cash back card ( cibc ) but you can average only about 1.25 % cash back due to tier system .
Not in my experience, and I am not surprised. 3rd party booking is always YMMV

My bookings at Towne Place Suites by Marriott had no points, but stay credit
I even had email with manager on this topic

Originally Posted by heraclitus
Up to now I've been reluctant to sign up for proprietary travel CCs like Avion, BMO World Elite and the like because it would take me more than 1 year to accumulate enough points to fly somewhere worthwhile, and I don't want to pay the AF for year 2.

But I guess if I look at it as a hotel CC then it's not so bad... say, with a $1000 spend per month on avg, I could end up with $540 (including signup bonus) to use on hotel. That might give me around 4 nights if I find a great rate. Not nearly as good as Marriott Visa or SPG Amex, but not all that bad either. If the Mrs and I both sign up it's even better.

How is BMO's booking engine for hotels? Anyone know if the rates are decent?
The rates are okay, on par
but some cities, the selections are very limited
Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by ericosuave
can you still collect points ,such as Aeroplan on flights or Spg , Marriott on hotel bookings ? If yes that would be a pretty good card to have .
I have MC World Elite cash back card ( cibc ) but you can average only about 1.25 % cash back due to tier system .
I find it humorous that this is what CIBC advertises on the card's page:

Earn a bonus of $25 in cash back rewards if your net annual card spend is more than $45,000 annually2
This card is pretty bad considering spend beyond 50k only gets you a 1% return
Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
There was no booking fee
but there is a $30 cancel/change fee EVEN if it's 100% Refundable reservation (I think same as ExpediaForTD or Expedia in general)

I'd be careful on that

AMEX Travel Service, on the other hand, has no booking fee nor cancel fee
I've canceled 2 reservations in the last month, on 2 cards (Plat/Gold), no fees at all
What kinda reservations have you cancelled? Flights?
Old Feb 8, 2015, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by brightaxis
I've cancelled a fully refundable hotel and was dinged with the fee.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by brightaxis
Originally Posted by travel_geek
I've cancelled a fully refundable hotel and was dinged with the fee.
Mine was a $70 funny refundable hotel
so I passed on the $25 cancel fee and just kept it, before I canceled my card

FAQ
https://www.bmorewards.com/en/public/faq.html
Are there booking fees and/or cancellation fees?
You can use your points to cover the booking fees. There is no online booking fee. A fee of $29.95, plus applicable taxes, will be charged per phone booking. A $25 change/cancellation fee applies for each change or cancellation to your travel arrangements. Supplier change/cancellations fees can also apply and will be displayed at time of booking based on your specific travel reservation. Booking fees, change/cancellations fees are non-refundable.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 3:44 am
alc

Just noticed one (1) MBNA card is back on GCR, but it is show $0 rebate:

http://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/d...-PlatinumPlus/

Hopefully once MBNA is back on GCR, they will do a promo for $100 Rebates
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Aeroplan, Best Western, IHG Rewards, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Capital One Aspire Travel World MasterCard has been discontinued. I put a note on the Wiki.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by pointshogger
Capital One Aspire Travel World MasterCard has been discontinued. I put a note on the Wiki.
What happens to people who have it?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: AC Irrelevant, IHG Platinum, Marriot Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis First
Looks like it has been replaced by the Aspire Travel World Elite MasterCard:
http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-card...ards%2Fcompare

Same annual fee of $120 but only 10,000 bonus miles.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by Cruban
Looks like it has been replaced by the Aspire Travel World Elite MasterCard:
http://www.capitalone.ca/credit-card...ards%2Fcompare

Same annual fee of $120 but only 10,000 bonus miles.
We moved on from C1 Travel Aspire a while back but it was still on our radar for churn potential and low carry cost for the points. But lack of anniversary bonus really drives this card into the dirt and will completely drop it from our radar now
Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Cerenity
We moved on from C1 Travel Aspire a while back but it was still on our radar for churn potential and low carry cost for the points. But lack of anniversary bonus really drives this card into the dirt and will completely drop it from our radar now
But it is still 2% travel cashback that can be redeemed for statement credit...multiple times
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Folks, signed up the wife and myself for the Starwood Amex card. Question - would I meet the minimum $500 spend req if I were to buy a bunch of gift cards totalling that value? eg WalMart?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:57 pm
alc

Originally Posted by injian
Folks, signed up the wife and myself for the Starwood Amex card. Question - would I meet the minimum $500 spend req if I were to buy a bunch of gift cards totalling that value? eg WalMart?
yes it will.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by injian
yup!
love the pics on your trip reports!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.