Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

MilesBuzz: Canada

MilesBuzz: Canada

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 25, 19, 6:16 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: jerry305
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 22, 16, 8:18 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by Preacher7 View Post
Thx, JJJ, for all your help here on these threads. I know you've been very helpful to me, and I'm sure to many others from the Great White North! We're blessed to have folks like you!
Originally Posted by heraclitus View Post
Well said. I am one of the (I'm sure) many that JJJ has helped too. Hats off to one of our true FT MVPs!
Originally Posted by prmetime View Post
I certainly agree! Very helpful and willing to answer the smallest of questions!
Originally Posted by emustyle View Post
I've lurked a lot and don't post much, but I want to echo the helpfulness of JJJ! He really helped me get started and continues to do so! Gold star for you sir!
Hello to my PMFs!

Thanks for your kind words, but we all learned from each other with our ideas in how to squeeze out the 'free' points.

2016 was a year of many changes, especially on the Amex landscape. The Chase Marriott has dropped the welcome Cat 1-4 e-certificate, but we are grateful that they gave us a couple of weeks of free hotel nites during our extended travels. The TDAVIs were for the most part still the same. The CIBC AeroBiz card was a super-pleasant surprise as a flowing source for a ton of points too. MBNA Alaska has been dampered but we're almost there for the EK-F shower plane. We also used up a bucket load of Best Western points, but MBNA were kind enough to let us replenish them fairly easily. We had another solid 10+ segment mini-RTW as well as mini-Euro, and of course all in Biz J. All in all it was a dynamic year for raking in, and splurging of the haul of points that we've amassed.

I have to admit that I benefited as much as anyone else by bouncing ideas off of each of you, and for that I extend a HUGE THANK YOU, back to all of you, and a MERRY XMAS SEASON to us all! Let's hope for another prosperous year of churning, for 2017!
Old Dec 22, 16, 11:20 pm

Programs: Alaska,Aeroplan, Aegean, BA Executive
Originally Posted by emustyle View Post
I've lurked a lot and don't post much, but I want to echo the helpfulness of JJJ! He really helped me get started and continues to do so! Gold star for you sir!
+1. JJJ helped me get started and organized 3 months ago. The wife and i now have a rewards trip YVR-MCO in Feb. thank you sir
Old Dec 23, 16, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by sailingman22 View Post
The Marriott Rewards credit card does have an annual fee of $120 which is waived for the first year.

Search the internet and there was an offer for 50,000 points for a Canadian branded Marriott credit card. This included a free night in a cat. 1-4 hotel. I found this offer last Nov. and applied.
The free night in a cat 1-4 is no longer offered as part of the welcome bonus.
Old Dec 24, 16, 6:45 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Ggggh. Of course, annual fee charged and no waiver. On the phone with TD now...

[edit] And of course, they're claiming they've never heard of the promo. Anyone have a screenshot of the November promo, the one with 15K for signing up + 10K for 90 days (no spend requirement) + 5K for secondary cardholder + annual fee waiver? They want a "source code", or anything else to prove I had the promo, but obviously I've gotten too naive with Amex, and didn't save anything.

[edit 2] she waived the fee, and for 10K points after 90 days, she said "we're seeing a requirement of $1K spend, but don't worry, you're in Quebec, so you'll see them in 90 days regardless of the minimum spend requirement, it's a Quebec thing." I had her notate it on the account.

Hell is she on about?!

Last edited by Pseudo Nim; Dec 24, 16 at 7:14 am
Old Dec 24, 16, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post

[edit] And of course, they're claiming they've never heard of the promo. Anyone have a screenshot of the November promo, the one with 15K for signing up + 10K for 90 days (no spend requirement) + 5K for secondary cardholder + annual fee waiver? They want a "source code", or anything else to prove I had the promo, but obviously I've gotten too naive with Amex, and didn't save anything.

[edit 2] she waived the fee, and for 10K points after 90 days, she said "we're seeing a requirement of $1K spend, but don't worry, you're in Quebec, so you'll see them in 90 days regardless of the minimum spend requirement, it's a Quebec thing." I had her notate it on the account.

Hell is she on about?!
I take screens of all my apps, but I didn't apply during this promo period, so no help for you from my end. Someone will step forward to help the Great Nim with this, I'm sure.

As for the "source code", even though I didn't apply during this last promo period (ended Dec 2nd?) I do know that you probably (or meant to) signed up through the GreedyRates link, because it was the ONLY one that I'm aware of that had the 100% fee waiver and no need to spend $1000 in 90 days (GCR's promo was a 50% credit on the annual fees).

But, are you certain that you applied with the GreedyRates source code (Sb6l9)? i.e., this link:
http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/product...urceCode=Sb6l9

That now redirects to the updated GreedyRates promo, which is pretty much the same except that you have to wait 1 year to get the bonus 10K. So, if you DID apply with that link, then the TD rep should be able to see "Sb6l9" as the "Source Code" in your card's application file.

If the rep doesn't see it, then it's possible that you applied using the generic link that has NO SOURCE CODE! i.e., the link that is in the wiki of the TD thread. Someone pruned too much off that wiki, removing the source codes for RFD/GCR and at the same time put up a "generic link" for the affiliates, which means there is NO source code, and you probably will only get the walk-in TD promo (no FYF, spend $1K in 90 days) unless you call in and BEG them to give you the affiliated terms.

No idea what she's referring to, about Quebec not needing to worry about the non-requirement for $1K spend in 90 days. Maybe you lost something in the translation? JK'ing!!
Old Dec 24, 16, 11:36 am

Get a $7 statement credit after $25 purchase at Esso with registered Amex card

New promo for Amex/Esso. Screenshot here: http://i.imgur.com/VwG8cAw.jpg

Register your eligible American Express Card from December 22, 2016 to January 13, 2017. Once registered, make a purchase of $25 or more (after taxes) in a single transaction at an Esso station between December 22, 2016 and January 13, 2017 and you could earn a $7 statement credit. Your eligible Card must be registered in advance of making a purchase in order for the purchase to be eligible for this offer.
Register your Amex card first, using this link.

Doesn't seem to be targeted, we've been registering every single Amex and supplementary card within our team. Haven't actually spent and seen the $7 credit yet though.

Going to load up on gift cards, can be for anything not just gas (egs., Subway, Tim Hortons, A&W, Home Depot). As a reminder, not all Essos allow you to buy gift cards with credit cards...many in our neighbourhood only allow cash/debit payments, as a result of the Aeroplan Star Challenge promo from a few years ago.
Old Dec 24, 16, 12:35 pm

Hell is she on about?!
I applied under the same offer.As JJ pointed out,the source code is SB6L9.
I was also charged the annual fee but when I called was told to wait 2 statement cycles for the refund.The agent said he was able to confirm the offer code that I had used(after prompting him to look).I also sent an email and received the same response.
Old Dec 24, 16, 2:59 pm

Programs: Alaska,Aeroplan, Aegean, BA Executive

Hell is she on about?!
screenshot attached below (let me know if this violates any rules, I can pm)
No $1000 requirement and full FYF
Attached Images  
Old Dec 24, 16, 5:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by jubberly View Post
I applied under the same offer.As JJ pointed out,the source code is SB6L9.
I was also charged the annual fee but when I called was told to wait 2 statement cycles for the refund.The agent said he was able to confirm the offer code that I had used(after prompting him to look).I also sent an email and received the same response.
No source code at the time - I didn't apply via GreedyRates, it was a direct link; I dug up my browser history, and in fact, it's EXACTLY the same link as now, so I guess "no source code" is unfortunately correct. She did notate my account on the 90 days / 10K points, so I'll probably call in to have that done as I don't get the feeling it will happen...

Originally Posted by I came to fly View Post
screenshot attached below (let me know if this violates any rules, I can pm)
No $1000 requirement and full FYF
This is exactly the one! Thanks. Of course, no "source code" on this, but hey, at least now I have a picture of it, so I got something to go on if they dig in their heels. Cheers.
Old Dec 24, 16, 10:16 pm

No source code at the time - I didn't apply via GreedyRates, it was a direct link; I dug up my browser history, and in fact, it's EXACTLY the same link as now, so I guess "no source code" is unfortunately correct. She did notate my account on the 90 days / 10K points, so I'll probably call in to have that done as I don't get the feeling it will happen...

This is exactly the one! Thanks. Of course, no "source code" on this, but hey, at least now I have a picture of it, so I got something to go on if they dig in their heels. Cheers.
Nim, maybe I wasn't clear.

If you applied via GreedyRates, this means you used the GOOD direct link:
http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/product...urceCode=Sb6l9
- your card's application file will (should) have the Sb6l9 source code attached

If you applied using the generic affiliate's BAD direct link (from TD thread's wiki) it looks like this:
http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/product...ate-custom.jsp
- it redirects to a page that shows the same offer as GreedyRates had shown during that previous promo period, but your file will NOT have ANY source code attached, which is why you'd default to the vanilla TD offer.

So, your browser history, it shows which of the above two links? If the former, then something is wrong, as it SHOULD have placed the Sb6l9 GreedyRates source code into the application file. If the latter, then based on other people's feedback in the TD thread, you need to talk to TD and BEG for the Sb6l9 source code to be added, or additional steps, such as providing a screenshot showing the promo. I'm sure you can probably figure out a way to have the screenshot provided by I came to fly to show a URL with the source code (PS is your friend), before you send the picture to them.
Old Dec 25, 16, 7:53 pm

Programs: A3*G
I had applied through the generic affiliate offer (bad link) and as expected I was charged the full annual fee and only received the bonus points after spending $1000. I had to call in to make a big stink about the annual fee and was eventually let off with a "one-time gesture" of a $120 credit and a stern warning to make sure I apply through the correct third-party link next time.

Of course, since TD is TD, I opened up my easyweb a few days later and saw that I had been credited with a $60 "annual fee rebate" AND a $120 "annual fee reversal". Everything works out in the end!
Old Dec 26, 16, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by JJonahJ View Post
New promo for Amex/Esso. Screenshot here: http://i.imgur.com/VwG8cAw.jpg

Register your Amex card first, using this link.

Doesn't seem to be targeted, we've been registering every single Amex and supplementary card within our team. Haven't actually spent and seen the $7 credit yet though.

Going to load up on gift cards, can be for anything not just gas (egs., Subway, Tim Hortons, A&W, Home Depot). As a reminder, not all Essos allow you to buy gift cards with credit cards...many in our neighbourhood only allow cash/debit payments, as a result of the Aeroplan Star Challenge promo from a few years ago.

Thanks, JJonahJ!
I saved myself 4 x $7 this afternoon.

The link appears to still be working as of now.
Old Dec 27, 16, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by jerry305 View Post
Thanks, JJonahJ!
I saved myself 4 x $7 this afternoon.

The link appears to still be working as of now.
Great! Today, I used 3 x $25 Bon Appetit restaurants gift cards...had a great time/meal, $54 for $75 worth!
Old Dec 28, 16, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by JJonahJ View Post
As a reminder, not all Essos allow you to buy gift cards with credit cards...many in our neighbourhood only allow cash/debit payments, as a result of the Aeroplan Star Challenge promo from a few years ago.
Other than going to the place, is there a way to determine which stations take credit cards for gift cards purchases?
Old Dec 28, 16, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer View Post
Other than going to the place, is there a way to determine which stations take credit cards for gift cards purchases?
You could phone them and ask.

Search this Thread