MilesBuzz: Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 13, 2013, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jerry305
CANADIAN REFERENCE ON FLYERTALK
Canadian Credit Card Master List - Curated for Best Offer A complete listing of all the major credit cards in Canada along with their sign-up bonus, annual fee, CPM, and other pertinent information.

AMEX recent discussion American Express Canada application and reward strategies (2018)Which credit card should I get?Cards with good bonusesList of Credit Cards with Great Welcome bonuses (RFD version)
BLOGS
Canadian KilometersPointsNerdRewards CanadaDon't Call the Airline!PointshoggerCanadian Travel Hacking
CONFERENCE
PointsU conference (2018 & 2019 website)
Print Wikipost

MilesBuzz: Canada

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2017, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
This promo ends today:
EDIT: This promo is extended to June 3, 2018.

TD First Class Travel®Visa Infinite* Card
50,000 Points (= $200 or $250 value)

http://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-ban...infinite-card/

Get up to 50,000 TD Points (which is basically $200 credit towards purchased travel, or $250 if you use their Expedia For TD website).
Minimum spend $1000. (PM me if you need tips to reach minimum spend.)
First year Annual Fee rebate for the Primary Cardholder.

Last edited by jerry305; Jun 2, 2018 at 1:16 pm
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:29 pm

jerry i signed up for the same promo with no spending , get 20000 after 3 months get another 30000, that also ends today , wonder if its a mistake or not , wait till i get my card and see if i get pts , im with td , but just canceled my card and when i seen this offer i fig i apply again .seen offer on RFD.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry305
This promo ends today:
EDIT: This promo is extended to March 1, 2018.

TD First Class Travel®Visa Infinite* Card
50,000 Points (= $200 or $250 value)

http://www.td.com/ca/en/personal-ban...infinite-card/

Get up to 50,000 TD Points (which is basically $200 credit towards purchased travel, or $250 if you use their Expedia For TD website).
Minimum spend $1000. (PM me if you need tips to reach minimum spend.)
First year Annual Fee rebate for the Primary Cardholder.
I've edited my post from yesterday:
The offer has been extended to March 1, 2018.

Basically:
• Get the card.
• Pay the annual fee, which you'll get it rebated back.
• Put $1,000 in spend on it.
• When you get your 50,000 points, you can use it for $200 off some kind of travel. Or, book a flight through Expedia for TD, and get $250 off some kind of travel booking.

To me, that meets the threshold of "should I do this".
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
Want to help a couple from Quebec with crdeit cards

Met a couple from Quebec on a shared fishing charter and told them about my hobby of credit card churning. They are interested in getting started and told them I'd help out. What are a couple forums people like for Canadian credit cards? Can I send them referrals thought I'm from the states? Just starting some research. Thanks for any help
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by shanna135
Met a couple from Quebec on a shared fishing charter and told them about my hobby of credit card churning. They are interested in getting started and told them I'd help out. What are a couple forums people like for Canadian credit cards? Can I send them referrals thought I'm from the states? Just starting some research. Thanks for any help
That's very nice of you
Don't think USA can send Canadian referrals

Some places to start
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by shanna135
If your new buddies need Canadian Amex referrals,FlyerTalk has a referral thread

American Express Referral Offers (Read Wiki before posting).
Old Dec 19, 2017, 5:36 pm

I never considered it myself because of the relatively high fees, but those looking to reach large minimum spend could consider buying a Wealthsimple gift card (and deposit into a the account of a spouse or a close friend, as you cannot send a gift card to yourself). They accept Amex, Visa and Mastercard and charge fees around 3%. https://my.wealthsimple.com/app/gifts
Old Dec 19, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
I never considered it myself because of the relatively high fees, but those looking to reach large minimum spend could consider buying a Wealthsimple gift card (and deposit into a the account of a spouse or a close friend, as you cannot send a gift card to yourself). They accept Amex, Visa and Mastercard and charge fees around 3%. https://my.wealthsimple.com/app/gifts
If you're going to incur that cost, you can just pay that spouse or close friend using Paypal for 2.9%.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by Hyacinthe
That's a cute alternative, reminds of PayTM when it used to pay investment account like TD Waterhouse with 3% fee too
Otherwise some $500 prepaid GC only has $7 fee and should be the better option

Originally Posted by nabeelj
If you're going to incur that cost, you can just pay that spouse or close friend using Paypal for 2.9%.
I've read that using AMEX with PayPal can easily trigger some audit/issues, so I'd leave PayPal as last resort
Plastiq @ 2.5% for pre-paying some bills is safer
Old Dec 19, 2017, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Loblaw $25 gift card offer

Short story:
Loblaws is offering $25 gift cards for those who apply for them. Promo starts January 8, 2018.
Here's the website for when it launches: https://loblawcard.ca

Long story:
George Weston Ltd. and Loblaw Companies Ltd. said that they became aware of an arrangement involving the co-ordination of retail and wholesale prices of some packaged breads from late 2001 to March 2015. Consumers were overcharged. Basically, it was price-fixing, says a Toronto star article. The company notified the Competition Bureau when they discovered it. The company has developed this offer to make amends. Loblaw expects three million to six million Canadians will receive the goodwill gesture. (So do your part!)

You should be able to secure a $25 gift card for each 18+ adult in your household.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:21 pm

I would gladly take my share. Thank you Mr. Weston!
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:56 am
F 1

Run into a bit of situation with RBC Avion. When redeeming points for a multi-city itinerary (just two segments), the system won't give me the option of booking my outbound segment on Aeromexico (which has the best schedule) and the return segment on Air Canada, where I have status. For the return, i'm stuck with Westjet. The only way I can get Air Canada to appear as a return option is if I book Air Canada on the outbound too. Has anyone found a way around this? If I phone an agent, could they book this schedule for me?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jerry305
Loblaw $25 gift card offer

Short story:
Loblaws is offering $25 gift cards for those who apply for them. Promo starts January 8, 2018.
Here's the website for when it launches: https://loblawcard.ca

Long story:
George Weston Ltd. and Loblaw Companies Ltd. said that they became aware of an arrangement involving the co-ordination of retail and wholesale prices of some packaged breads from late 2001 to March 2015. Consumers were overcharged. Basically, it was price-fixing, says a Toronto star article. The company notified the Competition Bureau when they discovered it. The company has developed this offer to make amends. Loblaw expects three million to six million Canadians will receive the goodwill gesture. (So do your part!)

You should be able to secure a $25 gift card for each 18+ adult in your household.
"we're offering eligible customers a $25 Loblaw Card" any idea on what constitutes "eligible?"
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska, Marriott
Registration will open January 8 and spokesman Kevin Groh said broadly speaking, customers will have to declare they are at or above the age of majority and purchased certain packaged products bread products at an eligible banner store before March 1, 2015.

Loblaw expects three million to six million Canadians will receive the goodwill gesture and that it will book a $75 million to $150 million quarterly charge in relation to the program.

Source: https://www.thestar.com/business/201...ce-fixing.html

I wonder if they're grossly underestimating how many people will sign on for this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
That's a cute alternative, reminds of PayTM when it used to pay investment account like TD Waterhouse with 3% fee too
Otherwise some $500 prepaid GC only has $7 fee and should be the better option

I've read that using AMEX with PayPal can easily trigger some audit/issues, so I'd leave PayPal as last resort
Plastiq @ 2.5% for pre-paying some bills is safer
Plastiq/Paytm to prepay bills is certainly the best option, I agree. I would not risk large Paypal transfers, I know both Amex and Paypal are easily auditing large transactions and it can be a pain to release the funds from Paypal. Gift card, of course, but you still have to liquidate them easily. I wouldn't like to get stuck with a large amount in GC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.